- - - - -

Motorsport on ITV4

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Dunc

Dunc

• 915 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 13:42

There is no separate thread for this so I though it was worth starting one. 

I seem to be spending a disproportionate amount of time on Saturdays and Sundays watching motorsport on ITV4 - BTCC, WRC and now Formula E.  I get the impression they aren't on the biggest budget but they seem to be having a lot more fun than their commercial telly counterparts on Sky, which makes the programmes fairly endearing.

What are other people's views?

Advertisement

#2 Mart280

Mart280

• 400 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 16:32

They show lots of Cycling as well which I enjoy, GP2 used to be on ITV4 a few years ago before Sky got F1, Croft was the commentator, I never liked him then either but well done to ITV for covering differing Motor sports.

#3 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 17:26

Formula E was yawn inducing. The ITV4 coverage - I record it then zip through and ignore all but the touring cars. MotoGP and BritishSuperBikes followed by F1 for me. I wonder how these circuits manage financially. At Rockingham the touring cars were racing in front of empty stands., and others circuits are not much better supported

#4 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 18:06

I wonder how these circuits manage financially. At Rockingham the touring cars were racing in front of empty stands., and others circuits are not much better supported

It's fair to say I'm a staunch critic of the BTCC, but I don't think that's entirely fair. Most events on at rovals can be very well attended and it appear to the TV viewer that there's only one man and his dog there - Rolex 24 at Daytona is a classic example. It's just that those sorts of venue have such a large capacity that they're going to appear pretty quiet for most events. Even NASCAR has been having a problem making tracks look busy.

Elsewhere, most tracks are recording their best attendance for BTCC since the demise of Super Touring. It is one of the reasons Menu stated for his comeback to the BTCC - there's always a very large crowd, and the same can't be said for many WTCC events.

#5 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 18:22

I don't think Rockingham opens all the grandstands for BTCC, especially on the parts of the speedway not in use. The cameras kept picking up completely empty stands but there were plenty in attendance elsewhere.

#6 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 20:18

Rockingham have never opened the stands at the ovals turn 4 or one of the big stands after turn 1 banking on any of the half dozen times I've been to the btcc there. So on tv it looks a bit empty. However compared to the other circuits on the calendar I get the feeling Rockinghams layout is unpopular for attending as a spectator.

#7 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,725 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 20:52

Rockingham's problem is that most of the action happens in the infield where there are no spectators - they are further away from the action than at most Tilke 'dromes, hence very few turn up to watch it live.

#8 rf90

rf90

• 936 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 21:34

Rockingham have never opened the stands at the ovals turn 4 or one of the big stands after turn 1 banking on any of the half dozen times I've been to the btcc there. So on tv it looks a bit empty. However compared to the other circuits on the calendar I get the feeling Rockinghams layout is unpopular for attending as a spectator.

It's rubbish for a spectator. Well, in my view anyway.
Some viewing aspects from the stands across from the pits will be unique, and good for photography (I guess),and there is the option of viewing at the hairpin behind the pits.
The topography is rubbish for moving from place to place, like you can at most circuits.

#9 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:39

My biggest complaint about ITV4 is the fact they don't put the BTCC races up on the ITV player. If you miss the race (because maybe you were at another race that weekend) you have to wait until the following Saturday to watch highlights by which point you can't help but find out the race results or have to avoid all motor racing media. I understand putting a 7 hour show on might be difficult, but just cut out the races and put them up, hardly complex (folk on Youtube manage it very well)

It's rubbish for a spectator. Well, in my view anyway.
Some viewing aspects from the stands across from the pits will be unique, and good for photography (I guess),and there is the option of viewing at the hairpin behind the pits.
The topography is rubbish for moving from place to place, like you can at most circuits.

I found Rockingham one of the best circuits on the calendar, spectators can view the entire event and not just a select highlight in a particular corner. It is also fantastic for people who don't want to have to camp at a particular spot all day just to get a decent view since all of the grandstand seats can see all of the action.

You can try moving from place to place at other circuits, but do that at a BTCC meeting and you will just find yourself stood behind a wall of people! Whenever I have been to BTCC at Silverstone, Oulton, Donington et al. you have to find your spot first thing in a morning and not move all day.

#10 rf90

rf90

• 936 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:13

That is fair comment, for when a circuit is packed. Trouble with seeing all or most of a circuit, is that the spectacle is diminished, that's why I like to watch at different spots during the day. I don't go to the packed meetings, too much hassle. So (to get back on topic), I love it that ITV4 show all the British Superbikes and BTCC meetings. I go and soak up the fun on a Saturday, then watch the whole meeting on telly on Sunday. The plethora of advert breaks aren't an issue because I record on the sky box and skip through the many breaks.

#11 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:21

The seating capacity of Rockingham is fifty-two thousand (according to wikipedia) and the only time they've ever have come close to that is the two CART races. The BTCC record for spectators appears to be forty-two thousand at Brands. Rockingham's problem, as well as being an oval, is that it's more or less on the doorstep of Silverstone and Donington so it has more of a fight for the one-meeting-a-year crowd.

As for ITV4, I reckon motorsport must have a pretty good hours-to-cost ratio, then back it up with sufficient eyeballs. By comparison, I reckon even lowly tiers of football would come with an unrealistic premium, be only 90 minutes of action, then not get the viewing figures because for most football fans "it's not my team and the skill quality is rubbish".

#12 rf90

rf90

• 936 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:42

I made a mistake.. it's on Eurosport I watch all the BSB

#13 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:01

The seating capacity of Rockingham is fifty-two thousand (according to wikipedia) and the only time they've ever have come close to that is the two CART races. The BTCC record for spectators appears to be forty-two thousand at Brands. Rockingham's problem, as well as being an oval, is that it's more or less on the doorstep of Silverstone and Donington so it has more of a fight for the one-meeting-a-year crowd.

Not helped this year by being on the same day as the Santa Pod Euro Finals, Donington Park BSB and the World Finals at Coventry, all of which target the casual/family crowds.

I am surprised they have not taken down the spare Rockingham grandstands, I imagine that even if Indycar did come to Europe, they would race on an iconic road course rather than an oval that looks like it is in America.

That is fair comment, for when a circuit is packed. Trouble with seeing all or most of a circuit, is that the spectacle is diminished

I'm not sure I follow you. When two drivers are racing hard against each other, seeing them close up on every corner and try and make the pass is far more spectacular when you can see it through a whole lap than just when they happen to go past you.

#14 rf90

rf90

• 936 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:11

...........I'm not sure I follow you. When two drivers are racing hard against each other, seeing them close up on every corner and try and make the pass is far more spectacular when you can see it through a whole lap than just when they happen to go past you.

If you like that, seeing it all happen in the distance, then who am I to argue? It's just not for me.

#15 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 16:01

My biggest complaint about ITV4 is the fact they don't put the BTCC races up on the ITV player. If you miss the race (because maybe you were at another race that weekend) you have to wait until the following Saturday to watch highlights by which point you can't help but find out the race results or have to avoid all motor racing media. I understand putting a 7 hour show on might be difficult, but just cut out the races and put them up, hardly complex (folk on Youtube manage it very well)

Until this year, the BTCC highlights came on the following Tuesday, but now it is a full week.  As I cannot usually watch on Sunday, I have to sit with my head in a bucket for six days wondering who Plato has nerfed off this time.  I do not understand why they made this change, nor why the full coverage isn't put on i-player or Youtube. 

#16 rf90

rf90

• 936 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 16:25

Until this year, the BTCC highlights came on the following Tuesday, but now it is a full week.  As I cannot usually watch on Sunday, I have to sit with my head in a bucket for six days wondering who Plato has nerfed off this time.  I do not understand why they made this change, nor why the full coverage isn't put on i-player or Youtube.

I record the whole live program, then watch it, skipping through the ad breaks, can't you do that?

#17 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 16:47

No.  Threw VCR away a while ago.

#18 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,725 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 17:08

Get a Panasonic disc based PVR - mine even has a button that jumps over the advert breaks when watching a recording - gets it right most of the time but with ITV4 having about 3 advert 'bookend' clips for the BTCC broadcast you have to be careful where you hit the button.

#19 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 18:55

The whole point of having internet catch-up is not having to worry about recording a show yourself. I'm with BRG in being unable to comprehend why the races are not on ITV player on Sunday evening. It's a shame, as ITV4 do such a great job broadcasting BTCC and all the support series.

I've got the same gripe with Sky, who never put up the full race on Sky Go. The best you get is a short highlight video.

Advertisement

#20 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,753 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 21:26

It could be a rights thing.