Photo
- - - - -

DRS - Have you changed your mind?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you changed your mind about DRS? (156 member(s) have cast votes)

Select what fits best

1. I was in favor when they introduced it and I still like it (21 votes [13.46%])

Percentage of vote: 13.46%

2. I was against it when they introduced it and I still dont't like it (75 votes [48.08%])

Percentage of vote: 48.08%

3. I was in favor, but I like it a bit less now (13 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. I was against it, but I like it a bit better now (13 votes [8.33%])

5. I was in favor, but now I'm totally against (6 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

6. I was against it, but now I am a fan (2 votes [1.28%])

Percentage of vote: 1.28%

7. I had no real opinion, but now I like it (13 votes [8.33%])

8. I had no real opinion, but now I don't like it (7 votes [4.49%])

Percentage of vote: 4.49%

9. I had no real opinion then and I still don't have any (6 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:58

We have had DRS for a while now. There was a big controversy when it was introduced, but since then DRS has spread to other classes, to DTM and GP2 will get it as well. I was against it, I thought it was a solution that did not deal with the main problem. But now... I guess it's not so bad.

What do you think?

Advertisement

#2 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:10

I liked the idea at first but now i despise it. The zones should be shorter on average, sometimes it feels right though.

#3 blub

blub

• 119 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:37

Initially I was interested in what DRS would do to a race, I thought why not, its an experiment, lets have a look. I well remember the first time it was used, JB was trying to overtake someone and the first two times it didn’t work, the third time it did. What became obvious was the DRS did not mean automatic overtaking it also did not mean overtaking on the straight. It was clear from the start DRS was a mechanism to get the cars closer together at the end of a straight and then give a car a better chance to overtake. To me it works, it might be fake and contrived but who said man must travel faster then he can run? Within the context of a motor race, it works for me, this is especially true when you consider that in many instances DRS does not allow anyone to overtake. Consider Hungary, Rosberg had a hell of a time trying to get past Vergne for something like 15 laps.

Because DRS does not mean it will work every time and because the overtaking is often AFTER the straights I think its a usefully tool. If it were eliminated from the next race on I’m not sure I would find reason to complain, but for the moment I think its a good thing and there are not that many new good things in F1 tech. I find the whole PU thing an abomination for example.

#4 baddog

baddog

• 29,677 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:59

It is the worst thing ever introduced to F1, and it will be a wonderful day when it is consigned to the dustbin of history. 

#5 hollowstar

hollowstar

• 2,190 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:08

I didn't like it, and I still don't. One of my favorite skills in a driver is overtaking. What I like about overtaking is that it should be hard to realize.

Sure, with DRS you get plenty of overtakes, but they're not worth as much as they used to. Not as impressive. They're almost a given: the faster car will end up ahead...

F1 used to be "Wow look at that move, so unexpected and perfectly executed!."

Now it's more like "OK, he got in DRS range. Cool."

I know I'd rather have 3 real overtaking maneuvers in a race than 40 DRS moves.

Edited by hollowstar, 18 September 2014 - 03:09.

#6 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:57

I thought it was cool when they used it everywhere in Q. Never liked it in a race situation.

Edited by ollebompa, 18 September 2014 - 04:09.

#7 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:17

My posting history tells a sorry tale.   ;)

April 2011:

The DRS is thus far proving to be a success, if anything it should be used freely in the races like qualifying and practices.

May 2011:

DRS is still a work in progress so they were bound to get it wrong occasionally.

I still like it, even if it was too efficient this time.

August 2011:

I am a defender of DRS, but if they can't use it even remotely properly then there is no point.

October 2011:

Officially bored of DRS now. I've stuck with it and the idea that it's a work in progress but enough is enough.

How DRS has been implemented has not changed since day one despite how cars often breeze past each other; the FIA have lazily left the activation zones in the primary overtaking sections of the circuits. Even with this layer of mismanagement, it's fundamentally detrimental effect upon the interaction of the cars and drivers in wheel-to-wheel combat is clear. It was supposed to be a stopgap measure, but like putting a septic plaster on a gaping wound, it's proven to be a total disaster on every level.

#8 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:25

Good poll options :)

#9 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:35

F1 used to have loose blocking rules that allowed drivers to make multiple moves in defense.. and the for the behind to try would be taking a huge risk, and combining that with no DRS, that meant that on a lot of tracks overtaking was simply impossible.  On some tracks it was possible and in those times, overtaking meant more.

It's hard to look at DRS in isolation because it's only one piece of the puzzle.  I like it when the pass is made in the braking zone and that it allows the race to play out better (in terms of strategy and raw pace) than it would have if it wasn't there.

I don't like it when someone breezes buy on the straight and pulls infront before they reach the braking zone.  But this is usually more of a consequence of new tyres vs old, or fast car vs slow, but every now and then, there's still a time where it's just down to badly placed DRS zone (the slipstream becomes too powerful).

In an ideal world, there would be DRS on the tracks that need it and it'd be turned off on the tracks that don't, or the DRS zones would be REALLY small so that it barely helps, but yeah.  The tightening of the blocking rules have already helped give the car behind more chance, separate from DRS.  So the DRS doesn't need to be so powerful in order to make overtaking possible.

Overtaking used to be near on impossible and a bit like a goal in soccer, where you can wait the whole game for one, and then when it happens it's like a miracle.  :lol:  Some in soccer/football it can be 0-0, but even 1-0 can be exciting.  Now it's a bit more like basketball, where it will be 97-86.  Hard to say which is better because there are positives and negatives to both.  Overtaking used to mean more and now it doesn't.  But it also allows the races to play out better in terms of.. who finishes infront deserves to finish ahead, and it's harder to destroy people's races with a slower car and a helpful track.  I guess it helps the faster drivers and teams with faster cars, but it also makes the races more dynamic, because more stuff happens per 90 mins.  It's just that when they make the move before the braking zone, it's way too easy and they pretty much didn't even have to earn it.  You like to have a balance where both the guy infront and the guy behind have a fair chance.

It used to be favoured too much for the guy infront (Trulli train) and now it's probably favoured too much for the car behind.

#10 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:48

DRS is only usefull as an immediate deterrent to turbulent airflows. Unfortunately, it can't simply be abandoned because there is no telling how badly turbulence will effect the cars from one season to the next. That being said, I strongly dislike it but accept it is there to stay until something huge happens which strongly negates aerodynamics importance.

I liked it more when it was unrestricted in practicing and qualifying.

#11 Wes350

Wes350

• 407 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:15

Ricciardo won a few races this year using DRS to overtake with just a few laps remaining.

Based on the strong anti-DRS opinions voiced by posters on this site, I expected howls of indignation over such "easy passes" giving him the win.

But all I got was the internet forum equivalent of the sound of crickets chirping...

So I don't think the majority of fans have a problem with the current implementation of DRS at all.

Edited by Wes350, 18 September 2014 - 05:17.

#12 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:19

Get rid of this fake sh**. I hate it.  :evil:

Edited by Tourgott, 18 September 2014 - 05:19.

#13 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:29

I think theyve got a better idea of the length of the zones and its better now than it has been some times, but the concept is still not right.

Fix the problem properly rather than giving advantages to try to even it out.

#14 blub

blub

• 119 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:34

When I started watching F1 in the late 1990’s I vividly remember the first time I ever hear or saw the McLaren driver David Culthard, I think at Imola, he was upset about overtaking, he said something like this, Its unfair that I have to drive around behind much slower cars lap after lap but when the same driver sees a red car behind him he immediately moves over. So, not all passing was equal, nothing has changed, a Red Bull overtakes a Caterham with DRS, no big deal, a Mercedes overtakes a Ferrari with DRS and somehow it cheapens the race.

Pulling aside when ahead because its a specific car cheapens the racing far more then the DRS does. Once again, Rosberg was unable to pass Vergne after spending 15 laps behind him even though he was using DRS lap after lap.

Did we trade a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage with this DRS thing? So far it seems the cage has its benefits.

#15 baddog

baddog

• 29,677 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:56

Off topic, but Coulthard was being a whiny hypocrite. He was totally happy to hold up lapping cars himself depending on their colour let alone ones on the same lap.

Also, ask him (or any ex driver) what he thinks about DRS when he isnt on TV. They all hate the idea. The only time a car needs to be letting anyone by is when being lapped, and DRS doesn't have anything to do with that, it is a cheap and silly way to increase the number of 'passes'.

Yes not every car under every condition at every track can make a DRS pass, but the vast majority of passes in F1 at the moment are fake gifts from DRS, and it sucks. A real pass is a rare treat and thank god for the half a dozen nutters who still do it.

#16 HP

HP

• 19,631 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:12

When I started watching F1 in the late 1990’s I vividly remember the first time I ever hear or saw the McLaren driver David Culthard, I think at Imola, he was upset about overtaking, he said something like this, Its unfair that I have to drive around behind much slower cars lap after lap but when the same driver sees a red car behind him he immediately moves over. So, not all passing was equal, nothing has changed, a Red Bull overtakes a Caterham with DRS, no big deal, a Mercedes overtakes a Ferrari with DRS and somehow it cheapens the race.

Pulling aside when ahead because its a specific car cheapens the racing far more then the DRS does. Once again, Rosberg was unable to pass Vergne after spending 15 laps behind him even though he was using DRS lap after lap.

Did we trade a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage with this DRS thing? So far it seems the cage has its benefits.

When DC had a good day he'd pass everyone, when he got stuck at Monaco 2001, it looked like he and his team wanted to murder Bernoldi. In any case I'd say DC is not a good measuring stick. Or take  Alonso being stuck behind a certain Russian driver to lose the championship.

My opinion is, anyone earning that much money, they have to work for it, including overtaking.  There are always certain drivers that you can count upon to somehow make a pass stick. That is how it should be.

#17 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,498 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:14

Ask Coulthard how Schumacher felt about lapping him in Spa 1998. Or Bernoldi in Monaco where the much powerfull Mclaren was held at bay for a half a race. If you can't overtake, don't blame the system. ;)

The only DRS I remotely like is the way it is used in WSR. xxx seconds a race, no specific zones and you can use it at will. The F1 version is utter crap and I applaud the day it is binned. 

#18 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:15

Always hated it.

If F1 needs an overtaking aid, why can't they have an IndyCar-style push-to-pass? Oh yeah, it'd hurt to admit IndyCar did something better.

#19 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:26

I was in favour when it came in, and even when we had embarassing motorway-style overtakes in the past couple of years, I was prepared to defend DRS by pointing out that the very high-deg tyres were a major factor in some of those passes. But we were promised, when it came in, that it was designed to avoid races where on-track overtaking of slower cars even by significantly faster cars was well nigh impossible, but not to make overtaking of slightly slower cars by marginally faster ones trivial. And we were told that the FIA would be prepared to tweak the positioning of the detection zones, the maximum gap required at the detection zone to get the DRS and, crucially, the length and number of activation zones, to ensure those objectves were met. And Whiting specifically said they'd prefer to err on the side of DRS not making mech of a difference, rather than risk overdoing it and making overtaking too easy.

What happened? Virtually none of the things we were promised were done, the activation zones aren't placed in difficult enough areas from the point of view of the attacking car and you don't have to get especially close, so there's no way the defending car can prevent the attacker from getting DRS unless he is actually fast enough to pull away, the activation zones are far too many and far too long, and too often it robs us of exciting racing of the kind we saw at Silverstone between Alonso and Vettel (until Vettel cheated his way past because they don't enforce the track limits, which once again cut that battle short). Why would you dice with your competitor and work out, over the course of a number of laps, and line up a pass that will take several corners of side-by-side racing to execute and may or may not succeed, when you can just save up all your hybrid energy, push the overtake button, get the DRS and drive past on the straight?

It's not a fundamentally bad idea, but it needs to be used in a carefully measured way to offset partially the loss of aero performance cars get when they run close to their competitor. So when you lose ground in the fast corners, the DRS should get you back in touch and back in business so that, if you're good enough, you can make a proper pass. It should not do more than that, and too often now it makes the attacker's job easier than it should be, and easier than it would be in a category like GTE, where the cars have a lot less aero so don't lose much performance by racing at close quarters, but also don't have push-to-pass or Super Mario Flap.

Edited by redreni, 18 September 2014 - 07:27.

Advertisement

#20 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 1,278 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:33

Depends. I find it good on circuits like Bahrain where it's difficult to overtake. It basically gives you that much that you can attack and as we've seen in recent years it leads to good fights.

On other tracks like Montreal where it was always good it makes it too easy. No fights, just breezing past.

So I'm not totally against it, I just think it's not always executed properly. I would like to see the current formula without DRS for a while to have a good comparison.

#21 fZero

fZero

• 117 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:34

I hated it when it was introduced and still hate it now. It's the implementation that is so bad.

Many many years before DRS in F1 I always liked the idea of moveable wings for more down force in the corners and less drag on the straights. It only makes sense. But artificially crippling the car in front, only on one section of the track only if the following car is under 1 sec behind, just so there can be an overtake on TV is so fake.

If a car has a moveable rear wing just let the drivers use it whenever they want. Those that are better at it will be faster, those that are worse will spin off coming out of corners. Point is it would be a level playing field and the skillful would prevail.

#22 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 1,172 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:40

Always liked it. But it should be used less. For example, remove it completely from the Kemmel straight at Spa. 

#23 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:13

DRS offers a mix of overtakes, sometimes it is a little too easy, sometimes it is a little too hard and sometimes it is just right.

Take Monza for an example, I don't recall any breeze-by passes with the exception of the flying Bottas and I believe that was largely a function of the Williams' aerodynamic setup and tactical use of the ERS.  We saw Massa breeze by Magnussen and that wasn't even in a DRS zone.

Personally, overall I like DRS.  I find it strange that those who oppose DRS also moan when it is not strong enough, I would have thought such a situation would please them.  I remember watching the 2010 Malaysian GP, with Hamilton stuck behind Sutil's Force India that was 2 seconds a lap slower, yet he couldn't get by and Alonso stuck behind Petrov in Abu Dhabi later that same year.  Both were pretty ridiculous situations.  It is said that overtaking is a lost art now, well defending was a lost art pre-DRS for the most part.

EDIT:

I'm not sure about my feeling when it was first announced, I can't remember.  I think I may have been in favour, but thought it wouldn't be particularly effective.

Edited by Obi Offiah, 18 September 2014 - 08:16.

#24 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,183 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:16

Liked it initially and still like it now...yes, some zones could do with adjusting but I still think it helps. Not sure about everyone else but I'd rather it than watching the old Trulli trains...

#25 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:26

Changed my mind? Not at all.

The idea of adjustable aero is great, and very interesting. It potentially allows both technical departments and the drivers themselves to push the limits. :up:

The problem is that the FIA has taken control of it and turned it into a spec-component that, as was to be expected, has been implemented in ways that highlight all the downsides of the concept.

Edited by Nonesuch, 18 September 2014 - 08:26.

#26 MrMan

MrMan

• 190 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:12

I don't have a problem with DRS, I do however have a problem with the "leave a cars width" rule combined with DRS. It appears sometimes that the this combination robs us of some great wheel to wheel action.

#27 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,143 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:21

I've always been fine with DRS. Though its probably a bit too effective some times.

People say it gives an unfair advantage to the car behind, but to me the way the cars are designed to create such a turbulent wake at the rear whilst the cars are so sensitive at the front, already gave an advantage to the car in front, so DRS is just balancing that out. 

Its a bit pointless when you have a train of cars and everyone has DRS open. Might be better to give drivers 10 boosts a race and let them use it for defence or attack. With the new Radio rules this would sit firmly in the hands of the driver.

#28 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,143 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:23

It is the worst thing ever introduced to F1, and it will be a wonderful day when it is consigned to the dustbin of history. 

Why? 

#29 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:33

Most people say they don't like it.

They will gladly enjoy a great F1 battle like in Bahrain, but they will give no credit to DRS for that and will say it ruins the racing still.

#30 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,872 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:36

If you want to watch DRS "racing", then sit on a motorway overpass for 2 hours.

Edited by Ali_G, 18 September 2014 - 09:37.

#31 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,712 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:38

My main concerns are:

At some tracks you have in effect double DRS (Canada being a good example where it's 1 detection point and if you pass in the first activation zone you get the benefit in the second activation zone even though you passed in the first zone)

At some tracks it's not overly necessary and can be put in a different area of the track (it may not be an overtaking area but can bring cars closer together)

At some tracks the activation zone is too long and therefore too powerful, meaning what you'd hope would be a half challenging pass is actually completed 1/2-3/4 of the way down the straight with no real effort

#32 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:41

Still like it, always have, although it's often been a tad too powerful. I could do with track position being slightly more meaningful and defending slightly easier. But people forget that even with DRS if you overtake it's because you're quicker than the car in front of you, so you should generally deserve to go ahead of it? It benefits quicker cars and drivers, which is surely what we want?

Would much rather have the "fake passes" of today than the processions we used to watch around 2002-2008, where the races were almost fully decided by qualifying and the start. That was horrible, horrible racing. The races are infinitely better now.

#33 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,143 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:46

If you want to watch DRS "racing", then sit on a motorway overpass for 2 hours.

Would you say Rosberg's attempted DRS pass of Hamilton at Spa or Button's dice with Perez at Monza, for instance, are typical of things I'll see? If so I may grab a deck chair and a case of beer...

#34 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:46

My main concerns are:

At some tracks you have in effect double DRS (Canada being a good example where it's 1 detection point and if you pass in the first activation zone you get the benefit in the second activation zone even though you passed in the first zone)

At some tracks it's not overly necessary and can be put in a different area of the track (it may not be an overtaking area but can bring cars closer together)

At some tracks the activation zone is too long and therefore too powerful, meaning what you'd hope would be a half challenging pass is actually completed 1/2-3/4 of the way down the straight with no real effort

Yea, its not implemented as well as it should be, that's for sure.

#35 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,872 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:47

Would much rather have the "fake passes" of today than the processions we used to watch around 2002-2008, where the races were almost fully decided by qualifying and the start. That was horrible, horrible racing. The races are infinitely better now.

The end of the 2004 San Marino GP with MS all over the back of Jenson Button for 10 laps is probably my favourite piece of racing from the last 15 years in F1. It was incredible, with MS attempting all sort of unconventional lines with Jenson also doing the same to hold MS up behind him.

MS never got past, but that didn't matter a jot. You see, overtaking and racing are 2 completely different animals. What F1 needs is more close racing, not passing.

#36 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:52

The end of the 2004 San Marino GP with MS all over the back of Jenson Button for 10 laps is probably my favourite piece of racing from the last 15 years in F1. It was incredible, with MS attempting all sort of unconventional lines with Jenson also doing the same to hold MS up behind him.

MS never got past, but that didn't matter a jot. You see, overtaking and racing are 2 completely different animals. What F1 needs is more close racing, not passing.

Look, I get that and I agree, but it was only exciting because you knew the guy was so much quicker there was an actual chance he could pass. It's why I think DRS has often been a bit too powerful, it should be toned down to make those scenarios of quality defensive driving possible. But back then, most races you knew there was no way on earth anyone could ever pass so it was incredibly boring 99% of the time.

Edited by noikeee, 18 September 2014 - 09:52.

#37 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:59

MS never got past, but that didn't matter a jot. 

Well, that must have been a different 2004 San Marino GP than the one I saw  :p

I guess you meant the 2005 one with Michael all over the back of Alonso? 

#38 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,143 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:59

You do realise it was mostly a case that the functions of the aerodynamics gave the leader a defensive advantage? Teams actually design the cars to leave a disruptive wake.

But anyhow,  if he had got passed eventually, it wouldn't have mattered then, as it was the close racing that was important to you, right?

So you must have been impressed by Hamilton v Schumacher at Monza, in the DRS era where he eventually got past... or perhaps Rosberg v Hamilton in Bahrain where he couldn't, despite DRS?

Edited by Rinehart, 18 September 2014 - 10:02.

#39 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,872 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:01

Well, that must have been a different 2004 San Marino GP than the one I saw  :p

I guess you meant the 2005 one with Michael all over the back of Alonso? 

I'm losing my marbles I think.

Advertisement

#40 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:01

Most people say they don't like it.

They will gladly enjoy a great F1 battle like in Bahrain, but they will give no credit to DRS for that and will say it ruins the racing still.

That is because ironically, it represents part of the problem. As I said at the time:

This race just demonstrated how the pecking order of circuits has been completely reversed. All of the circuits which provided a poor spectacle pre-2011 (Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Hungary) are now providing good races. Until DRS is banned, traditionally good circuits such as Spa and Canada will remain artificially at the bottom of the barrel for racing unfortunately.

Specifically due to how DRS is implemented, DRS cannot enhance the inferior circuits without crippling those which provided better overtaking opportunities prior to DRS. DRS effectively rewards circuits for being poor. As this is now season four of DRS, the "I like it but it should be tinkered" stance is so weak because there's no evidence to suggest a new approach to DRS will be on the agenda.

Bahrain was a brilliant race, but that does not change my opinion of the circuit or DRS. When DRS has been so clearly mismanaged during it's four years, the only conclusion that I can determine is that such races come as a result of fluke circumstances rather than good judgement on behalf of the FIA. What am I supposed to credit exactly?

#41 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,741 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:04

I have barely noticed the effect of DRS this season but mostly that is because a Mercedes engine is a far more effective overtaking tool than anything else on the grid.

Still firmly against the concept. It would be better to have less aero on the cars to encourage following closely - this years aero does seem to allow the cars to run within 0.5s of each other which is a step forward, unfortunately the massive difference between the Mercedes engine and everything else means that only one group of cars can actually overtake.

#42 loki0420

loki0420

• 997 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:07

Was totally against it, though now it's pretty much the same opinion, from time to time it is working good when allowed side by side corner entry and out of corner close fight. But more often it's just unspectacular passing by.

#43 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:08

That is because ironically, it represents part of the problem. As I said at the time:

Specifically due to how DRS is implemented, DRS cannot enhance the inferior circuits without crippling those which provide better overtaking opportunities prior to DRS. DRS effectively rewards circuits for being poor. As this is now season four of DRS, the "I like it but it should be tinkered" stance is so weak because there's no evidence to suggest a new approach to DRS will be on the agenda.

Bahrain was a brilliant race, but that does not change my opinion of the circuit or DRS. When DRS has been so clearly mismanaged during it's four years, the only conclusion that I can determine is that such races come as a result of fluke circumstances rather than good judgement on behalf of the FIA. What am I supposed to credit exactly?

Except Bahrain usually had good racing prior to DRS.

And Spa, unless it rained, often produced fairly boring races prior to DRS as well.

As far as who you're supposed to credit, well, I'd say that the average number of great races per year has gone up considerably since DRS was introduced. I don't think there's really much questioning the impact its had.

#44 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:09

Never liked it and I can't understand why it has been around this long.

Drivers no longer have to work out a way to pass a competitor, they just have to get within a second of them and then press a button on the main straight, so DRS isn't encouraging close racing, and DRS passes aren't something people want to watch, so why does it still exist

When people talk about great races in the past they don't only talk about great attacking drives they also talk about great defensive drives.

Unfortunately we no longer have defensive driving in F1. 

#45 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:11

Unfortunately we no longer have defensive driving in F1. 

Drivers get to practice defensive driving more than they ever did prior to DRS.

This 'every press of DRS results in a pass' thing I hear from so many people is a massive exaggeration.

#46 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:14

Drivers get to practice defensive driving more than they ever did prior to DRS.

This 'every press of DRS results in a pass' thing I hear from so many people is a massive exaggeration.

Sure, you get your one move over onto the marbles and the guy behind opens his DRS and slides past you on the racing line.

Great racing...

Edited by johnmhinds, 18 September 2014 - 10:15.

#47 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:16

My posting history tells a sorry tale.   ;)

April 2011:

May 2011:

August 2011:

October 2011:

How DRS has been implemented has not changed since day one despite how cars often breeze past each other; the FIA have lazily left the activation zones in the primary overtaking sections of the circuits. Even with this layer of mismanagement, it's fundamentally detrimental effect upon the interaction of the cars and drivers in wheel-to-wheel combat is clear. It was supposed to be a stopgap measure, but like putting a septic plaster on a gaping wound, it's proven to be a total disaster on every level.

I 'liked' your post because it's a good post rather than becauuse I agree.

DRS is a sticking plaster and I would overall rather they did not have it, but I see two main benefits;

1. It does help get get us around the turbulent air problem which won't go away until the FIA introduces a set of technical rules which I write and approve of.  These basically shift balance from aero to mechanical grip, remove wings and have ground effect stuff going on.

2. It's a visible sign of someone doing an aggressive overtake attempt so good for viewers and spectators.  It signals 'look at me, I'm trying reeeeeeeeeally hard'

The third benefit, which is that it allows out of place cars to get back into the fight with their peers much easier and faster, is debatable.  it's great when your driver is able to make the most of it, but not if you like drivers to work for their finishing places.  Personally, I prefer them to work and that would include passing backmarkers properly especially since DRS ought to make that easy.

#48 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:17

Sure, you get your one move over onto the marbles and the guy behind opens his DRS and slides past you on the racing line.

Great racing...

Again, massive exaggeration.

#49 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,443 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:18

DRS+Durable tyres works, as DRS negates the dirty air effect.

Aggressive tyres+No DRS works, as there is a speed difference coming out of the corners which leads to overtaking.

DRS+Aggressive DRS does not work, and makes overtaking too easy. We see speed differences out of slow corners which gives the driver behind a chance to attack, but DRS makes this too easy.

#50 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:19

I'm losing my marbles I think.

We had Alonso v Schumacher San Marino 2005 and then the roles reversed for 2006.  In 2010, I think it was Alonso on Button for Monza.  All three with no passing but, I agree, probably the best racing it's possible to see.  You just have to look at the reactions in the thread when ITV went to commercials five minutes before the end in '05...