Photo
- - - - -

Fernando Alonso explodes against Italian press, leaks...

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:39

I don't know if it fits on the silly season or the VS topic, I think is his own thing, I leave to the moderators to decide. Forgive the grammar, I can't edit the topic title.

http://www.marca.com...1411034446.html

Estoy haciendo un año espectacular, con el triple de puntos que mi compañero, quizás sea junto con 2012 mi mejor año y en cada carrera cada jueves tengo que apagar los focos que vienen de Italia", aseguraba el español.

"Es un poco raro esto, pero no tengo nada que decir. Si tengo que decir algo lo haré en unas semanas y a alguien no le gustará lo que tengo que decir yo porque alguna vez haré yo las filtraciones que quiera o interesadamente", amenazó el asturiano con un destino claro en sus quejas, aunque no puso nombre oficial al destinatario.

"No vienen bien a nadie. He hecho equipo y he trabajado muy cerca con el equipo durante estos años, me empeño en tener buen ambiente en ir a cenar con los chicos, en jugar al baloncesto y continuamente estar cerca de todo el equipo para crear grupo y luego que vengan todas estas cosas de Italia pues... algún día tendré hablar yo también".

Did my best with the translation,.

"I'm doing an spectacular year, I have 3 times the points my teammate have, maybe with 2012 my best year and in every race, every thursday I have to put out the spotlights coming from Italy"

"Is a little weird, but I have nothing to say. If I have to say something, I will do it in a couple of weeks and someone will not like what I have to say because someday I will be the one making the leaks as I want or interest me.

"This is no good for anyone. I made team and I worked very close with the team during this years, I make a lot of effort to have a good atmosphere and I go out to dinner with the guys, I play basketball with them and continuously try to be close with the team to create a group and then all this things that comes from Italy... Someday I will speak too.

I looks like he is not only mad with the Italian press but maybe also with the team leaking stuff. I think is the beginning of the end sadly. He said that he will speak in a coule of weeks, I don't know if is literal or not.

Edited by kosmos, 18 September 2014 - 10:40.

Advertisement

#2 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,183 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:51

Here's an English version:

http://www.crash.net...ed-ferrari.html

I don't think it spells the end...I think just the opposite. I think he's just annoyed with people trying to drive a wedge between him and the team.

Edited by Ncedi, 18 September 2014 - 10:59.

#3 PedroR

PedroR

• 200 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:56

pero kosmos, ¿de qué parte de Italia es de donde vienen las filtraciones? del propio Ferrari o de la prensa, o directamente de Leo Turrini?

I really don´t know sice where allways the stupid news coming from...Maybe inside Ferrari team?

#4 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:57

Not a great speech.  Gives the impression that he socializes with the team as he believes he should rather than he wants to.

#5 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:02

Not a great speech.  Gives the impression that he socializes with the team as he believes he should rather than he wants to.

Is not like that, the Italian press has said that he is not a team player, his answer is related to that.

pero kosmos, ¿de qué parte de Italia es de donde vienen las filtraciones? del propio Ferrari o de la prensa, o directamente de Leo Turrini?

I really don´t know sice where allways the stupid news coming from...Maybe inside Ferrari team?

Is the Italian press in general.

Here's an English version:

http://www.crash.net...ed-ferrari.html

I don't think it spells the end...I think just the opposite. I think he's just annoyed with people trying to drive a wedge between him and the team.

Thanks, but he is clearly saying different things to english and Spanish press. Small bits are the same anyway. But I agree that in the crash article looks more like a call for unity.

Edited by kosmos, 18 September 2014 - 11:08.

#6 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,270 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:02

I think that is reading too much in between lines, to be honest. The wording in Spanish just translates his willigness to have a good atmosphere within the team, when some people insist in telling exactly the opposite and talk endlessly about him being difficult to work with.

#7 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:04

What is this business about Ferrari sources leaking that Kimi's car has been 15kg heavier than Nando's all year? Why would this be?

#8 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,299 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:05

Oh man..

I think he's out of Ferrari next year. 

#9 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:25

There's no winning against sensationalist media.

Every weekend we hear the same from him, that his commitment is with Ferrari and that all rumours are false. It has been going like that for ages. If he denies the rumours, he is lieing, if he does not deny them, then he is implicitly confirming them.

Apparently, he is going to swap his place with Vettel, only to leave for McLaren, long enough to punch Ron in the face and push Jenson into retirement, and finally land at Merc, where his number 1 admirer, Mr.Zetsche will welcome him with open arms. Of course, all that will be merely a ruse, as his final destination is Williams to fulfill Sir Frank's dream.

He lasted 13 months before going ballistic. Good for him. 

#10 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:26

There's no smoke without fire...

#11 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:28

Except for all the times when there is just smoke.

#12 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:29

So you confirm that Kimi is weary of being trashed by his teammate and set to retire before next year? Because we've seen those rumours as well.

#13 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:30

So you confirm that Kimi is weary of being trashed by his teammate and set to retire before next year? Because we've seen those rumours as well.

I'm still waiting for James Allison to start his work for Honda, as was the hot rumour when he left Lotus.

#14 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,741 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:34

Shame, the title suggested his anger was a great deal more dramatic...

#15 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:41

What I like the most is his motivation and his strong desire to continue fighting until the last lap to beat Williams ..

#16 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:43

I'm still waiting for James Allison to start his work for Honda, as was the hot rumour when he left Lotus.

Oh, I have a friend that always claims that he has "inside" information. One of his best bits of "confidential information roght from the highest sources" was that Allison would finally go back to Lotus, once Honda buys the team, where he will join Jenson Button and Vettel, and Alonso after 2016.

There was smoke, all right, probably coming from whatever my friend was smoking at the time.

#17 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:48

I don't know if it fits on the silly season or the VS topic, I think is his own thing, I leave to the moderators to decide. Forgive the grammar, I can't edit the topic title.

http://www.marca.com...1411034446.html

Did my best with the translation,.

"I'm doing an spectacular year, I have 3 times the points my teammate have, maybe with 2012 my best year and in every race, every thursday I have to put out the spotlights coming from Italy"

"Is a little weird, but I have nothing to say. If I have to say something, I will do it in a couple of weeks and someone will not like what I have to say because someday I will be the one making the leaks as I want or interest me.

"This is no good for anyone. I made team and I worked very close with the team during this years, I make a lot of effort to have a good atmosphere and I go out to dinner with the guys, I play basketball with them and continuously try to be close with the team to create a group and then all this things that comes from Italy... Someday I will speak too."

It's a speech that once again shows that Alonso hasn't really chanced at all during his time in F1. I can stand a big healthy ego when it's justified but I detest one that whines like a big baby crying for pampering and Alonso has done so countless times during the years. Always qustioning the loyalty of others, the team, the bosses and now even the media like some paranoid emperor fearing for his empire.

#18 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:49

The Crash.Net article seems much more rational/believable. His frustration with folks like Turrini (a Kimi fanboy) and others in the Italian press, who continually try to sow discord between him and Ferrari , has just boiled over. Earlier this season he blasted them (when Luca then came out and said he was the greatest driver in the world), but since the team has performed so poorly in 2014, the scribes have nothing to do but spread rumors and innuendo.

I'm sure Alonso doesn't actually read the articles, but that doesn't matter because other media will ask questions about them. He really can't win. His name is always the one on people's lips, but it's the cross he must bear for being considered the best driver in the sport. 

Edited by PoleMan, 18 September 2014 - 12:09.

#19 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:52

Shame, the title suggested his anger was a great deal more dramatic...

Absolutely not going to change the topic title because it's so sensational!  'Explode!'  Could probably have done with a couple of exclamation marks but otherwise, we're not going to forget the thread in a hurry.

Regarding the subject, Alonso must be irritated by the fact that someone is briefing the press against him but he seems to be lashing out in a way that isn't very well targetted or helpful.  He's railed against the ungrateful mob that he takes to dinner and plays basketball with but does he really think those guys are against him?  I read something not so long ago which was discussing how the sides were lined up solidly in for-or-against camps in McLaren 2007.  They seemed quite certain that Alonso's side of the garage were loyal to him and very much on his side, and I don't see the relationship at Ferrari anywhere near that bad.

Advertisement

#20 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:00

[...] but it's the cross he must bear for being considered the best driver in the sport. 

I almost cried.

He should probably take a leaf out of Räikkönen's book when it comes to handling the media. One of only few things he could learn from him.

Edited by Jovanotti, 18 September 2014 - 12:00.

#21 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:04

The team loves Alonso.. The press trying to put Alonso on the spot by asking him questions related to unsustainable claims must be very irritating and frustrating..

#22 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:04

I almost cried.

He should probably take a leaf out of Räikkönen's book when it comes to handling the media. One of only few things he could learn from him.

You mean pushing them to the ground after taking the picture in your avatar?

#23 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,183 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:12

It's a speech that once again shows that Alonso hasn't really chanced at all during his time in F1. I can stand a big healthy ego when it's justified but I detest one that whines like a big baby crying for pampering and Alonso has done so countless times during the years. Always qustioning the loyalty of others, the team, the bosses and now even the media like some paranoid emperor fearing for his empire.

So you have a problem with him saying he doesn't appreciate rumours and leaked info? You wouldn't do the same if it was driving a wedge between you and your employer? Couple that with being asked the same questions and dealing with the same rumours year after year?

I think you're being a bit unreasonable...

#24 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:13

Isn't this just a moan about the constant 'speculation' affecting team unity at Ferrari. It doesn't seem like any more than that really.  :confused:

#25 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:17

Isn't this just a moan about the constant 'speculation' affecting team unity at Ferrari. It doesn't seem like any more than that really.  :confused:

Completely agree. Think some are reading more into it based on their own hopes and desires.

#26 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:23

That man sounds like he wants to be driving a Honda engine sooner or later.

In a Mclaren?  No, in a Ferrari.  Time for Ferrari to stop making engines that could not power my lawn mower  :lol:

Andy

#27 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:23

Another week, another Alonso leaving Ferrari topic.  :p

Not criticising, I find what he has to say on this interesting.

I don't know what Italian Press thinks of Alonso or what he is responding to but if Ferrari built a better car, there'd be nothing to talk about.

#28 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,741 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:26

Eagerly awaiting the Briggs and Stratton F1 entry.

#29 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:34

Of course he hasn't changed, his tenure at McLaren showed that much, always the victim of something or other.

#30 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:50

Absolutely not going to change the topic title because it's so sensational!  'Explode!'  Could probably have done with a couple of exclamation marks but otherwise, we're not going to forget the thread in a hurry.

I think Kosmos just meant fix the typo in "against"

You mean pushing them to the ground after taking the picture in your avatar?

Pretty sure he just means ignore the press.  Best advice on the market. 

Of course he hasn't changed, his tenure at McLaren showed that much, always the victim of something or other.

Alonso does tend to play the victim, but in this rebuttal he sounds more fed up than looking for sympathy.

Edited by bourbon, 18 September 2014 - 13:05.

#31 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,904 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:54

Is the thread title an imperative for Alonso?

#32 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 13:04

Is the thread title an imperative for Alonso?

I must confess, I am a little worried that Nando has just exploded and then...leaked... :eek:

#33 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 14:25

Pretty sure he just means ignore the press. Best advice on the market

Yeah and he spotted the joke too.

I don't agree that ignoring the press is the right answer anyway. He has little choice but to engage with them because of what he does and where he does it.

IMO there really has only ever been one driver who said enough to be popular with the public and little enough to not upset his team and that's Schumie.

He is the benchmark.

#34 Logiso

Logiso

• 311 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 14:41

Yeah and he spotted the joke too.

I don't agree that ignoring the press is the right answer anyway. He has little choice but to engage with them because of what he does and where he does it.

IMO there really has only ever been one driver who said enough to be popular with the public and little enough to not upset his team and that's Schumie.

He is the benchmark.

Interesting but I'm pretty sure at times he slagged off Goodyear. Also towards the end of the 90's there were comments like if he had taken a different offer, he would have been champion and also flirting with interest from McLaren. Our interpretation of it is different now that we have seen Schumacher win all those titles and everything come right with Ferrari, and the fact there was less of a media hyperbole then and also it was more certain back then that Schumacher was the best driver than it is Alonso is the best now so when he did come out with the arrogant statement, it didn't cause as big a fuss. I think any driver who can claim to be the best of their generation and hasn't achieved the ultimate goal for almost a decade is going to be frustrated especially in a team like Ferrari which was constantly in the mix for titles the previous 10 years before he joined them and has the media spotlight of Italy. Is it really news that he's frustrated? It's human nature. 

Edited by Logiso, 18 September 2014 - 14:41.

#35 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

I must confess, I am a little worried that Nando has just exploded and then...leaked... :eek:

Well at least that would mean he's on the mend.

#36 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Coming soon to the theater near you.

41-LkvFc7QL._SY300_.jpg

#37 Sestre

Sestre

• 52 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 14:54

http://www.antena3.c...4091800073.html

There is a video on antena 3.

@Kosmos, please, what he exactly says about rumors in Italian medias? Because I see many different  version in English. Like this:

ESPN:

When all these things come in from Italy it is not really clear what is the purpose, and if we know the purpose one day I will tell."

Sky:

They create for some strange purpose these rumours which do not help Ferrari. We need a united team. I think we know the purpose...and one day we will tell.”

#38 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 15:49

http://www.antena3.c...4091800073.html

There is a video on antena 3.

@Kosmos, please, what he exactly says about rumors in Italian medias? Because I see many different  version in English. Like this:

What he says to the spanish media is not exactly the same thing he says to the english media, in the video they ask him about the Vettel/Alonso swap rumours from Sky Italia, he is very calm and non aggressive about it, I got the wrong impression when I first read his declarations on text.

Edited by kosmos, 18 September 2014 - 15:49.

#39 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 15:51

What he says to the spanish media is not exactly the same thing he says to the english media, in the video they ask him about the Vettel/Alonso swap rumours from Sky Italia, he is very calm and non aggressive about it, I got the wrong impression when I first read his declarations on text.

I agree. Also, is it just me or is he hinting that the source of the rumours might come from inside Ferrari?

Advertisement

#40 andrea303

andrea303

• 404 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 15:58

I know this is off topic but this is Formula 1 and Alonso has been downplaying his moves before (and to his defense, he's certainly not the only one).

This is from 2009:

http://www.autoevolu...umors-3529.html

#41 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 16:01

Alonso has sold himself as the best driver of his generation so he will get appropriate attention. Just as Lewis gets for selling himself as present day Senna and Nico getting for claims he is the reincarnation of Prost.

#42 Vinsin

Vinsin

• 612 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 16:49

As a Ferrari driver, directly attacking the Italian Media... is not gonna end well for the said driver.

It doesn't matter who the driver is, if the Italian Media is purposely creating rumours/leaks that want you out of Ferrari... Then they will relentlessly keep at it and mentally drain you dry.

Alonso just fell for it, now the barrage will keep piling.

Edited by Vinsin, 18 September 2014 - 16:55.

#43 David1976

David1976

• 1,638 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 16:56

I know this is off topic but this is Formula 1 and Alonso has been downplaying his moves before (and to his defense, he's certainly not the only one).

This is from 2009:

http://www.autoevolu...umors-3529.html

Yes. A "No" definitely spells "maybe" in Formula 1.

#44 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 17:11

As a Ferrari driver, directly attacking the Italian Media... is not gonna end well for the said driver.

It doesn't matter who the driver is, if the Italian Media is purposely creating rumours/leaks that want you out of Ferrari... Then they will relentlessly keep at it and mentally drain you dry.

Alonso just fell for it, now the barrage will keep piling.

I don´t think so. A driver can´t live worried about what others say, especially journos and fans. 

It´s true Alonso has lots of interest in being painted in a good light and he takes lots of comfort apparently from praise from other people. That´s true.

BUT he also looks a mentally strong and mature person these days, even if he does like attention a bit too much. I strongly doubt anyone will manage to lobby him out of somewhere HE wants to be. He´s stronger than that, I´m fairly sure he will be smart enough to not let these things bother him and make a decission from a fully sportive POV, whatever the decission turns out to be.

#45 Vinsin

Vinsin

• 612 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 17:22

I don´t think so. A driver can´t live worried about what others say, especially journos and fans.

It´s true Alonso has lots of interest in being painted in a good light and he takes lots of comfort apparently from praise from other people. That´s true.

BUT he also looks a mentally strong and mature person these days, even if he does like attention a bit too much. I strongly doubt anyone will manage to lobby him out of somewhere HE wants to be. He´s stronger than that, I´m fairly sure he will be smart enough to not let these things bother him and make a decission from a fully sportive POV, whatever the decission turns out to be.

I don't expect the media to let this pass without creating further stories out of it.

Edited by Vinsin, 18 September 2014 - 17:30.

#46 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 17:36

Who in Italy would seriously want Vettel over Alonso?

#47 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 17:39

I don't expect the media to let this pass without creating further stories out of it.

All I say is that Alonso shouldn´t be bothered by that, and I think he´s strong enough to not let this influence his decission making.

Ideally he shouldn´t even comment on anything the press says or doesn´t say, but that boat has gone already.

#48 xmoonrakerx

xmoonrakerx

• 765 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 17:41

As I see this, Alonso is acussing Ferrari for leaking fake info...internal battle in the team?

Maybe this was Luca?

#49 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 17:42

Interesting but I'm pretty sure at times he slagged off Goodyear. Also towards the end of the 90's there were comments like if he had taken a different offer, he would have been champion and also flirting with interest from McLaren.

I could pick holes in it too, it's easy to do that.  Schumacher was clearly not perfect but who has been better?  You can't go back too far because the media was never as pervasive and intrusive as it has been since, I suppose, the mid 90's.  Who then, has handled the spotlight better?

Ultimately it's fair to say that this incident has shown that Alonso certainly isn't so good at it.

#50 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,547 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 17:48

I think he is peeved at Turrini (who just refuses to give him any credit) and the team members or ex team members talking to him.

The media will continue to speculate though and I don't think other Italian media have been at it other than Sky Italia (Allievi said his piece and moved on).