Photo

Magazine Binding - "Motor Sport"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Paulleek

Paulleek

• 56 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:10

I am busy collecting copies of Motor Sport for the period 1948-61, and have been planning to have them bound. I have just acquired '48 and '49 in excellent condition, already bound. I suspect that the binding service was available from (or via) the magazine publishers, Teesdale. I'll have my loose copies bound to match.

There are a number of suppliers who are more than happy to do this, but will need to create a "block" to match the original Motor Sport typeface for the front and spine, so that the style can be replicated. Before I go ahead and commission that work I thought I'd check with TNF members to see if anyone knows of any bookbinder who already offers this service in the original style.

I've already asked "Motor Sport" and they don't do it.

Edited by Paulleek, 18 September 2014 - 12:10.

Advertisement

#2 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,237 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 14:18

I had quite a lot of Motor Sport (and Autosport) volumes bound by Malcolm Green in Newbury - but, tbh, I have no idea if he is still active (or even around?). I was put on to him by Frank Stroud at Chater and Scott way back when. So you might enquire of Chaters...?

I'm sure others here will know of someone though.

Remember that binding them up does somewhat reduce their versatility... makes them more difficult to handle and read. And altogether harder to copy or scan (for your own use, of courseā€¦!).

We had a discussion on this some years back:
http://forums.autosp...s-preservation/

#3 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 14:31

John Robinson in Mytchett did all mine. He seems to do a lot of people's round here. Did five volumes of Formula for me a month of two ago.

#4 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 19:54

John Robinson in Mytchett did all mine. He seems to do a lot of people's round here. Did five volumes of Formula for me a month of two ago.

i'm impressed. probably weren't very many of them around to begin with. i'm hoping the ones i had ended up in storage after i moved a few years ago. formula was the first publication to use any of my stuff.

so of course that means those mags would be worth a massive fortune,

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#5 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 20:17

Did I ever reply to your kind email about me using some of your wonderful pictures Marc.  I suspect I didn't.  I will get back to that soon.

#6 Paulleek

Paulleek

• 56 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:53

Allen, thanks so much. I dropped in on John this morning taking the bound examples and the copies which I need binding. It turns out that my bound copies were done by him! An added bonus, he has indexes for each volume which he will include.

Thanks again.

#7 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,512 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:06

Although I haven't had anything bound for years I too used John Robinson's services - including binding 'Motoring News' which proved to be a job I suspect he hated, but which he completed brilliantly. An excellent craftsman.

DCN

#8 Fred Gallagher

Fred Gallagher

• 310 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:38

Although I haven't had anything bound for years I too used John Robinson's services - including binding 'Motoring News' which proved to be a job I suspect he hated, but which he completed brilliantly. An excellent craftsman.

DCN

Seconded by me. 

Full set of Autosport bound over the last few years, plus Autocourse, early French Sport Auto etc.

All perfect.

Fred

#9 MattKellett

MattKellett

• 71 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:55

I'm looking to get my set of Autocourse magazines bound and would like to have them bound similar to the original bindings, I'm reading here about John Robinson's binding services and would be grateful if someone could reply with his contact details and website, if he has one.

Many thanks

Matt

#10 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:21

John Robinson
01252 512281

John doesn't have a website. Expect his wife to answer the phone as John is usually in his workshop.

Edited by Allen Brown, 17 January 2015 - 09:23.

#11 MattKellett

MattKellett

• 71 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 18:26

Thanks Allen

Matt