Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Is it time to drop the podium interviews after each race?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: Time to drop the podium interview format? (182 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it time to drop the podium interviews?

1. Yes, I liked the old interview format after the race better. (104 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. No, I like it how it is. (44 votes [24.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.18%

3. I couldn't give a crap either way. (34 votes [18.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:17

This came to mind for me more prominently after watching the interviews after the Italian GP, but I've never liked it since the new format was introduced. I find it really distracting hearing the crowd screaming over the drivers and the interviewer when they are trying to answer the questions and the whole process just seems quite awkward and put-on by both the drivers and the interviewer.

By contrast, when the interviews after the race were conducted in a studio like the post-qualifying interviews still are, it was more directly to the point, you could hear the drivers answering the questions a lot clearer and it was just an overall better experience for me as a viewer. Who's with me?

Advertisement

#2 dave34m

dave34m

• 808 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:27

I vote no, its much more real like it is now, the media room interviews were very sterile and seemed much more media trained. I like it now even though some podium interviews are better than others but I take the good with the bad.

#3 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,738 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:30

It's good for the fans, so I'd keep it

#4 fZero

fZero

• 117 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:30

I really hated it to begin with, but I think it was more to do with the fact they were getting random celebrities to ask moronic questions than anything else. Things go a lot better when they actually have an ex driver or someone inside the F1 world asking the questions. I don't really care either way, but I have enjoyed some of the drama caused by booing from time to time :p

#5 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:33

Unfortunately, some fans have shown no decorum and do not deserve the podium interviews.  The booing ruins the podium for all the drivers, not just the dude being booed.  It is horrible.  I now hate podium interviews until we leave Singapore.  After that, they can have them as the people are better mannered - and also in Malaysia, Bahrain, Monaco, Germany and China.  Everywhere else, they should be shut down.  And if any other country starts up, they should lose the privilege too.

#6 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:55

I agree Bourbon. And although the interviews during the older format were much more sterile and staged, they were more informative. This format just seems a bit too WWF for me. The fact that sometimes they get people who clearly don't follow F1 is quite telling.

#7 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:39

Why can't they show both?

Why can't they show the post race interview infront of the crowd on TV to give something to those who payed to enter the gates and then show the more serious proper one later one via the internet or something?

Same with the Thursday drivers press conference and the Friday team bosses press conference.

Why can't they show them on FIA website or F1.com?  A transcript isn't the same thing, meaning gets lost in translation in text, compared to watching it properly in the proper context.  Same with the questions from the journos that are the second half of the interview (that we have never been able to see).  All of this stuff is probably too much for the TV to keep up with, but it's easy via the internet.  Doing "something for the fans" shouldn't just be something about the fans at the track, but also the fans across the whole world, it can unite them and give better access.  That's the beauty of the internet.  It makes the world smaller.  Even if you go to the track, you can only go to one race per season (most likely) and for the rest of the year would be needing to use this anyway.

#8 blub

blub

• 119 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:16

I kind of liked the atmospherics of the live podium interviews, but the drivers and the interviewers need to focus, which has got to be hard for the drivers. Things have kind of gotten out of hand with the drivers kind of not caring about the questions and the celeb interviewer letting things go here and there. Its a format and discipline issue that makes it almost unwatchable at this point.

I think they should have the interview in the room where the drivers towel off, talk amongst each other and get the hats and watches. That would be a chance to get the drivers to respond to each other and maybe start a fight, just before the podium. Its also great to see athletes sweeting and breathing hard, as if they just did something kind of stressful for 90 minutes.

#9 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:56

Keep them, but don't let Eddie Jordan near it again.

#10 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:00

Sometimes I like it, sometimes not. Depends on who does the interviews. I think the girl from the parade lap would also do a great job on the podium interviews.

#11 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:12

I voted for the last option; I don't care. The reason being that I don't watch the podium ceremony, let alone the 'interviews' with the drivers.

I am pleased that the drivers put up a great show every now and then, but I can do without hearing them repeat the same old platitudes about their race, their hopes for next race, and the team effort that was involved.

#12 np93

np93

• 115 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:16

It is good for the fans at the track at least, I never really watch though. What I would like to see are real flags on the podium instead of those screens.

#13 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:28

Interviewers need to be briefed before hand with topical questions to ask, especially if something juicy occurred during the race. The opportunity is there for some great uninhibited comments, but they often get wasted on 'tell us about your race'

#14 Paincake

Paincake

• 1,068 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:53

Unfortunately, some fans have shown no decorum and do not deserve the podium interviews.  The booing ruins the podium for all the drivers, not just the dude being booed.  It is horrible.  I now hate podium interviews until we leave Singapore.  After that, they can have them as the people are better mannered - and also in Malaysia, Bahrain, Monaco, Germany and China.  Everywhere else, they should be shut down.  And if any other country starts up, they should lose the privilege too.

Get of your high horse, the fans have the right to either like or dislike. Better mannered? Most audiences are phonies and fakes. Might as well put robots with no real opinions in the audience and call it a day. The brave new audience we'l call it, and they're politically correct just like you'd want eh? :lol:

#15 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:33

It's the fine the way it is now as long as they get good people to do the interviews.  They should always have people with a lot of knowledge of F1 and who care about it.  The podium should be about celebrating what the drivers have done and the fans, not about which celebrity made an appearance that day.  I think Brundle usually does a good job when he does the interviews.  Even Eddie Jordan is a better interviewer than some random celebrity.

That being said the Sky interviews after the race tend to be more interesting.  It's always a question of how few words Kimi will say that day  :p

It is good for the fans at the track at least, I never really watch though. What I would like to see are real flags on the podium instead of those screens.

They don't even have real trophies sometimes (plastic Santander-branded trophies), let alone flags.   :drunk:

Edited by travbrad, 20 September 2014 - 09:35.

#16 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:38

I didn't like them at first, but they've grown on me. Agree they tend to vary wildly according to who they get to carry them out, as might be expected.

#17 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,738 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:42

You can't just pick and choose though, and most of the places you would still allow are races which don't attract massive support anyway. All or one in my opinion, but you've left out about half the calender and other Monza and Singapore last year and Monza and Belgium this year, have we had any booing on the podium? For example, you left out Austria, what did they do to lost the privilege? 

#18 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:57

Yes, get rid of it. It's gimmicky, crap and downright cringeworthy at times.

#19 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:11

Yes. I´lla add it´s always a good time to get rid of this. Oh, and from the lap 3 series of replays of the start... how can they be so utterly stupid.

Advertisement

#20 manmower

manmower

• 1,525 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:44

The old press conference style interviews weren't always super interesting but the new format gives me a cringeworthy Roman circus vibe every single time, I wouldn't miss it at all if it were dropped.

#21 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:01

It depends on who does the interviews. Jackie's Stewart and Ickx and David Coulthard all proved they were excellent at it, whilst Jean Alesei is too busy trying to be friends with them and Nelson Piquet was a moron in Brazil 2012 ("I know what it's like to loose a title at the last race so I wont ask you" gee, thanks Nelson, because it's not like the millions of people watching on TV would really have loved to have heard his thoughts on that).

You get the right person for the interview's and works out really well, the wrong person and it's just horribly awkward.

#22 JoseArrogantio

JoseArrogantio

• 10 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:09

It’s good for the fans at the track but it does seem really artificial and naff. The interviewers general aren’t that good and try too hard. Saying things like ‘hey guys what an amazing race, let’s make some noise for our top three yeah!’. Just shut up and ask some interesting questions.

The drivers often use it to play up to the crowd which comes across as cheesey. The Malaysia podium was embarrassing with the Merc drivers say how much they love Malaysia and how amazing Petronas is.

The pre-podium cool down room is often a lot more interesting.

#23 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,304 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:16

I agree Bourbon. And although the interviews during the older format were much more sterile and staged, they were more informative. This format just seems a bit too WWF for me. The fact that sometimes they get people who clearly don't follow F1 is quite telling.

They still do the interviews in the media press room after the race. These podium interviews are just a bonus and a nice gesture to the fans live at the track.

#24 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:16

I'm ok with it if the ask them good questions instead of that crap of last race..I think Alesi didn't even ask a question at all

#25 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:23

I think the podium interviews are great - really enjoyable to see drivers interacting with the crowd. Can't see how locking them up, away from the ticket paying public, with the same ole journalists asking questions is better than the podium scenario tbh.

#26 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:37

NO. What a negligent idea.

Podium interviews are for the people who actually watch the event live, and are a step in the right direction. If, as a TV broadcast viewer, it erks you to watch it, then don't. Post-race coverage more than compensates you nowadays for the loss of a few meaningless sentences from the drivers in a five minute session.

#27 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,872 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:57

Keep them, but don't let Eddie Jordan near it again.

Or Jackie Ickx for that matter.

#28 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:16

I don't particularly care, but I can't understand why anyone would want the dull-as-dishwater press conferences. At least with the current system you get a feel for the atmosphere, such as Rosberg being booed at Spa, the madness at Monza, etc...

#29 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:18

They still do the interviews in the media press room after the race. These podium interviews are just a bonus and a nice gesture to the fans live at the track.

Exactly.  And the transcripts are posted on autosport.com and F1.com, so I don't know how anyone could not know that.

#30 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:22

I don't like the format and we don't get to learn anything so I don't bother watching it myself. 

#31 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:25

It only benefits those that are close to where the podium is. There's a large proportion of fans who have no chance of seeing it live as it will all be over by the time they have made their way round the circuit.

#32 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,002 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:42

I'd prefer better microphones in the cool down room to be honest, I always find that much more interesting. Providing they speak English! 😜 the interviews are ok, definitely much more engaging than the conferences they used to do.

#33 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:50

Give the winner a chance to address the crowd on the podium and then conduct an interview in the press studio. I liked it when they would show video from the race related to a question - at this point the drivers have not seen any footage and were always very interested in seeing what had happened.

Edited by tkulla, 20 September 2014 - 12:50.

#34 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:53

I'd prefer better microphones in the cool down room to be honest, I always find that much more interesting. Providing they speak English! the interviews are ok, definitely much more engaging than the conferences they used to do.

That seems to depend on who the three are in the room. It's often seems very stilted when Hamilton is there, but the likes of Vettel and Button together and there is some good banter.

#35 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 13:17

I'd prefer better microphones in the cool down room to be honest, I always find that much more interesting. Providing they speak English! the interviews are ok, definitely much more engaging than the conferences they used to do.

Yeah that is definitely always the most interesting and most honest part.  The drivers might not talk so openly if there were better microphones though.   :p

#36 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 13:22

Brings the drivers closer to the crowds which is a good thing for people who have paid squillions to be there.

#37 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 977 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 14:33

Or Jackie Ickx for that matter.

Add Jean "are you friends again?" Alesi to that list please

#38 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,137 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 14:39

I prefer the current format because all the emotion is captured and it's still raw. I admit some of the interviewers can make it awkward and extremely cringey but nothing's perfect.

#39 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 14:48

Add Jean "are you friends again?" Alesi to that list please

I think anyone who has got a good comprehension of English is ideal. So that counts out EJ as well. :lol:

Edited by JHSingo, 20 September 2014 - 14:49.

Advertisement

#40 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 14:50

Get of your high horse, the fans have the right to either like or dislike. Better mannered? Most audiences are phonies and fakes. Might as well put robots with no real opinions in the audience and call it a day. The brave new audience we'l call it, and they're politically correct just like you'd want eh? :lol:

Your comments make no sense, and yet you feel comfortable attacking somebody for having different opinions to yourself. Been smoking too much weed this week ?

#41 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 15:15

Are you drunk?

#42 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 17:35

To my knowledge, the post race press conferences still happen, and indeed are filmed. Just FOM either does not feed it to the broadcasters, or, as I suspect more likely, the broadcasters choose not to bother showing it, because they consider the podium piece to be enough. Maybe showing the post race conference costs extra.
The podium thing is nice for the fans there, and I wouldn't advocate taking that away, just I wish the broadcasters would show the conference afterwards too.
Crowd behaviour with booing etc is an unavoidable part of letting everyone in around the podium. Behaviours that have long gone on now get on the telly and in the limelight.

So yeah, keep both. But to choose one over the other I personally prefer the press conference.

#43 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 17:50

Yes, absolutely. It's the only way to get rid of the booing idiots.

#44 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 19:14

I would say our horses are of a level. 

Nonetheless I agree with you that fans have a right to like or dislike how things turned out or various competitors, etc., they just do not have the right to ruin the celebration of other fans with their behavior, which is what the booing does.  Booing at a race is not new - it's been happening for years.  Booing incessantly race after race by some of those in attendance is gathering a new popularity that needs to be nipped in the bud.  Otherwise, they have to take away the platform of the booers (the podium). 

I personally would prefer robot audiences as they would not get drunk vomit on your nephew, apologize and then boo the security guard.  However, the events are for us.

Likewise, podiums are for the winners and we cheer the winners of races - that is what is deserved.  We do not boo them because our guy isn't up there due to a race incident that happened  or worse, that happened a race or two before - all of that is ridiculously petty.  Plus, booing single competitors unless they have done something very egregious, is extremely bad form.  It is hundreds against 1 and when you consider the recent incident for which they are booing, it is really untenable and gives F1 sports fans a really bad reputation - of which I am one - for now.  Additionally, no one booed drivers for other real offenses like lying to the governing body for an advantage and so forth, so it is obvious that it is pantomime booing and mere vindictive/petty form driving the booers.

Edited by bourbon, 20 September 2014 - 19:17.

#45 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 20:30

I thought they were very odd and awkward at first, but they're getting better at handling it, and it adds a very rare moment of connection to the drivers for the people paying a fortune to be at the track so why the hell not. I voted for them to stay.

#46 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 20:38

I think it's a step in the right direction.

What I'd do next is get rid of the flags and anthems. They're unnecessary.

#47 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:25

Interesting replies. I agree with those that say that if they stay, they should NEVER have some random celebrity doing the interviews. That is just gimmicky, awkward and, well lame. It's significantly better if Brundle is interviewing, another former driver (with the exception of Nelson Piquet who, I agree was downright embarassing the way he looked like he wanted to dry-hump Felipe Massa at Brazil 2012) or someone within the industry who knows the sport at least.

They may still do the media room interview after the race, but that's not much use if we can't see them during the coverage as far as I'm concerned.

#48 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:29

Brings the drivers closer to the crowds which is a good thing for people who have paid squillions to be there.

They should hand everyone a free F1 podium T shirt and a beer/cocktail.. :lol:

#49 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,622 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:40

Yes, get rid of it. It's gimmicky, crap and downright cringeworthy at times.

My thoughts exactly.

#50 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:10

I quite enjoy the podiums. Keep 'em how they are. But for the love of God, keep Eddie Jordan away.