Photo

Paul Armagnac

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RAP

RAP

• 702 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 16:01

Armagnac is best known as a driver of DB at Le Mans etc but he also raced in Formula Junior. This included an outing in a Tyrrell Cooper at Nogaro. The Nogaro circuit is named after him. Does anyone have any personal background on him ? Presumably he was from the Nogaro region.

Advertisement

#2 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 16:58

I don't know how good your French is, but this article was written by a friend of his and gives a fair bit of information

http://panhard.racin...r/?page_id=3535

Here is another article which includes the reminiscences of his youngest daughter, Corinne, who also raced a Van Diemen in French Formula Ford during the '80s and '90s

http://www.ladepeche...-son-heros.html

Edited by Alan Cox, 21 September 2014 - 16:59.

#3 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 18:15

Richard, since the first piece was penned by  the late Robert Castagnon you cannot have a better source of info. RC was the other founding father of the Nogaro circuit, and was a wonderful man, who provided me with utterly brilliant support and help with my own research down there. I have a potted history of Nogaro here somewhere, but it may take a day or two to find as the office/study here is stripped for redecorating and refitting; its all in boxes at present.

I have not spoken to her for some time but in the Nogaro Tourist Office is a most helpful woman called Maryse Martinot, if she is still there. Knowing my connection she was kind enough to send me the newspaper articles announcing M Castagnon's demise. He had been the innocent victim of an RTA and succumbed several months later . Maryse may still be able to put you in touch with a former officer of their Town hall to whom M Castagnon introduced me.

Roger Lund

#4 RAP

RAP

• 702 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 18:46

Thanks very much chaps. Most helpful. My French just about coped.