- - - - -

Steering wheels, pedals, accessories for next generation consoles

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 20:32

Playstation 4 abd Xbox One has been around now for awhile, but not a lot racing games (out of Forza 5 for Xbox One, Need For Speeds are not counted...)

incoming F1 2014, Project Cars, Drive Club and you name it would need to put steering wheels on good use, but there's some dark clouds gathering around:

At first, proper wheelsets with pedals and shifters cost quite a fortune. If you bought them for previous generation (PS3, Xbox360), nothing will guarantee they will work on new consoles (PS4, Xbox One). Microsoft already chose path their device will not support Xbox360 accessories nor it's affiliate 3rd party controllers - Even their own controller will not work with Xbox One. On Playstation's side it's been said wheels which work on PS3 will work on PS4 too but it's not yet proven 100%. Sony has made affiliate deal with Thrustmaster and at least their latest products will work on PS4...but...does it prevent good old Logitech and Fanatec to not work? Time will tell. I bet none want to buy 400-500£/$/€ new game controller for new generation...

Secondly, Logitech with awesome wheels in past like Driving Force Pro, G25 and G27 -  has given up making new game controllers. So there might not be official support on new generations at all, but it doesn't mean those controllers would not work with new generation consoles. For example, little rival of Fanatec has very good wheels and they are not officially supported by PS3's Gran Turismo 5 nor Gran Turismo 6, but wheel is like fish in ocean with them.

Project Cars posted recently their list of supported controller.

You can find it from here.

Personal Computer players seem to avoid this all "driver licensing" issues, so you fellows can get popcorn and laugh on PS4 and Xbox One players crocodile tears. :D

However, point of this thread is to list here own experiences which does work and which doesn't. I try to update list if I remember.

Advertisement

#2 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 20:35

Supported wheels (according on Project Cars). September 21 2014.

XBOX ONE

Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition
Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider Racing
Thrustmaster TH8A
Thrustmaster T3PA Pedals

PlayStation 4

Thrustmaster T300RS
Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari GTE
Thrustmaster T100 Force Feedback
Thrustmaster T80
Thrustmaster TH8RS
Thrustmaster TH8A
Thrustmaster T3PA Pedals
Thrustmaster T500RS

#3 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 16:02

A few years ago I thought that consoles and PC games were converging, but the opposite is happening now, PC's have raised the bar while consoles are an a very comfortable rut. Consoles live somewhere around the 500 dollar mark, that is what someone expects to pay out to enjoy their gaming. And although they do offer amazing graphics and gameplay, due to the very competitive nature of the console business, it has to have an easy learning curve, and be almost immediately playable. So the hard reality is that in consoles, if you can't immediately enjoy a game, out with the DVD and in a with a new game.

I also seriously wonder if gaming hardware companies like Logitech and Thrustmaster are getting a return on their investment, building and licencing wheels and pedals in a market overwhelmingling dominated by hand-held game controllers.

So the console universe seems divided into distinct controllers. First are the hand-held controllers, good enough, and the games are designed for them. Then are the very cheap crap from vendors like madcatz, then quality wheels like the G27 and the Thrustmaster T500. But then it gets weird, because a T500 costs as much as an entire console.

And of course, the high-end stuff is all built for PC's, where quality and costs can quickly get astronomical and very serious.

Despite the release of quality racing games such as Forza and GTwhatever, they are still considered "casual gaming" while the hardcore sim enthusiast lives in another universe where being invested is more relevant and cost becomes secondary.

#4 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 15:09

I agree a lot what you just said.

For PS2, PC - not sure if Xbox, - there was superb rally simulator Richard Burns Rally. I would say it's still best rallying simulator ever made.

No need to say it didn't sell much, because learning curve was so high casual players hardly survived tutorial challenges.

Game makers just have to lower their game due financial reasons. Candy and intermediate realism sells, realistic not.

#5 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,836 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 18:09

I agree a lot what you just said.

For PS2, PC - not sure if Xbox, - there was superb rally simulator Richard Burns Rally. I would say it's still best rallying simulator ever made.

No need to say it didn't sell much, because learning curve was so high casual players hardly survived tutorial challenges.

Game makers just have to lower their game due financial reasons. Candy and intermediate realism sells, realistic not.

I agree, but it is strangely easily to solve. I mean: you make the game... add aids like tc, steering help... or even, as in GPL already was possible: the programs adapts the speed of the AI to the player.

#6 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 18:45

I agree, but it is strangely easily to solve. I mean: you make the game... add aids like tc, steering help... or even, as in GPL already was possible: the programs adapts the speed of the AI to the player.

But putting all sorts of assists into a difficult game doesn't stroke the casual gamers ego very much. Instead make the game easy from the get go AND include further assists. :down:

Richard Burns Rally :up: :up: :up:

Edited by GoldenColt, 04 December 2014 - 18:45.

#7 lwd

lwd

• 219 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:09

Just plugged my old logitech wheel into my new PS4... and now I discover I need to buy a new wheel!

What are people using out there for PS4 Thrustmaster T100, T300, T500?  Logitech G29? Fanatec....

#8 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 17:06

lwd :
Not tried the G29, but the G27 is not as good as the Thurstmaster t500rs, but cheaper. From the few comments i've read about the G29, it should be very much like my G27 though. I already own the G27, and only tested the T500RS at a friends house a few times, but if i where to buy today i would go for the Thustmaster. Even though the cost would be quite a bit higher (the H-pattern gearleveler is an additional extra), i would go for the Thrustmaster. Better FF, and it just feels more solid.

That said, the G27 is pretty good, and compared to an playstation controller, it will elevate the experience quite a bit. Not sure what wheel you used to have, but i earlier had a logitech with only 270degrees turn, and no h-pattern gearleaver, and from that the G27 really was a big improvement.

#9 lwd

lwd

• 219 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:22

Thanks for your reply mahelgel. Unfortunately the G27 doesn't work with the PS4. But apparently the G29 is almost identical, except it doesn't come with a shifter and costs more than the G27! Works with PS4 though... Will probably get a Thrustmaster T300RS.

#10 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 13:30

Thanks for your reply mahelgel. Unfortunately the G27 doesn't work with the PS4. But apparently the G29 is almost identical, except it doesn't come with a shifter and costs more than the G27! Works with PS4 though... Will probably get a Thrustmaster T300RS.

Oh, i somehow thught the G27 worked with playstation, but perhaps that is only the PS3? anyway, the G29 should feel pretty much identical to the G27, but as you say it is more expensive :/

#11 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 00:43

So I'm about to get a wheel after a decade without one. Looking at the Thrustmaster T300RS & T150. The first at $299 and the second at $199. Shipping to Brazil so it doubles after taxes. What's up with the T300? Is it worth the difference?

#12 vrroomcd

vrroomcd

• 37 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 22:44

I use a thrustmaster 300 base, 500 pedals, inverted with a merc exhaust hanger rubber behind the brake to give a good feel. and the Ferrari F1 rim, also a usb keyboard for extra controls on a ps4

Very happy with it