Posted 22 September 2014 - 23:41

how mighty are trophy trucks :D

all the might :p

Advertisement

#2 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 00:07

Nah, I reckon Ken Block vids still show better car control. The impressive thing here is that freak of a vehicle

#3 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 00:25

think its roughly 800hp+, 2 tons? and near metre of suspension travel. about as fast as a mustang on tarmac, while setup for baja :o

#4 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 00:37

There's an alternate universe where that filming went awry and you saw the "4 models killed by race truck" story. 

#5 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 00:40

"Mensa still reeling from the loss of 4 of its brightest stars"

#6 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:47

These girls are either braver or dumber then me. I wouldn't volunteer to sit there.

#7 secessionman

secessionman

• 347 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:10

What a load of bland corporate shite.

#8 loki

loki

• 12,038 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:45

Nah, I reckon Ken Block vids still show better car control. The impressive thing here is that freak of a vehicle

Indeed, on pavement or even flat pack Block has much better car control.  In Baja style desert racing Baldwin has him bested but only due to experience.  I think Block could do well in the desert if he got the right program.  And it's not too difficult for old guys to desert race though you take a beating.  There are guys Block's age that run competitively in Baja and at the Mint 400.

Baldwin's shop is about a mile from where I am now. There are also other big time desert race teams here including Herbst and Menzies.  Baldwin has done a couple of those Gymkhana style vids for desert racing in the last year or so under the Recoil tag.  He's putting the Ken Block approach on marketing desert racing though hasn't been quite as successful.

#9 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:19

Wonder how many takes they had to do to get it right and how many cars or houses he crashed into.

Atleast the final jump they did a couple times, you can see that from the landing marks in the sand.

#10 Talisker

Talisker

• 382 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:26

I agree, it's horrible. It's amazing how Monster, Red Bull etc are seen as edgy and alternative, yet this is probably one of the slickest and most corporate advertisements I've ever seen. 

#11 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:00

These girls are either braver or dumber then me. I wouldn't volunteer to sit there.

For the moneys tho!

#12 markeimas27

markeimas27

• 138 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:00

You are entirely what is wrong with this world. Granted similar videos have existed for about 5 years now, but this is cool. If this is bland, what on earth do you think to football sponsorship activation and content? Or god forbid cricket!!

Your bland scale is warped my man.

#13 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:15

I wouldn't say the video is bland, but this style of video from Monster and Red Bull has become a little too predictable.

Get Richard Hammond or James May to talk over it and it wouldn't be that far away from one of the super scripted Top Gear races.

#14 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:49

If you want to see Ken Block being beaten just tune in to the WRC.

#15 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,068 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:56

I agree, it's horrible. It's amazing how Monster, Red Bull etc are seen as edgy and alternative, yet this is probably one of the slickest and most corporate advertisements I've ever seen. 

Oxymoron!     ;)

Edited by Ellios, 23 September 2014 - 09:56.

#16 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,741 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:56

If you want to see Ken Block being beaten just tune in to the WRC.

Or Rallycross.

But to be honest he does very well indeed considering he is a wealthy amateur who started off stunt driving to promote his shoe company. Not many gentlemen racers come close to being as competitive as Block is.

PS I enjoyed the video. The truck is astonishing, especially the suspension. Pit-babe intellectuals may also enjoy analysing how this video represents females in motorsports.

Edited by sosidge, 23 September 2014 - 12:04.

#17 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,931 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:46

It's absolutely, totally bland in an 68-y/o-Ozzy's-I-am-the-effin-prince-of-hell -way, yes.

#18 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 17:10

The traces (or marks) in the sand show that obviously somebody else has felt like jumping down that cliff spontanously before that guy...

Tomorrow I'll go out and collect some donations for these poor girls... not even a t-shirt and that just south of a high-developed country... Canada ya now?

#19 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 17:19

Oh lighten up. It's enjoyable nonsense. Some company soups a truck up to within an inch of it's life and pays some bloke to make a (I agree, bland) but enjoyable five minute film of him skidding and jumping over stuff. 

Advertisement

#20 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 22:52

theres a alot less marks than in a ken blocks vids :)

#21 dgsg

dgsg

• 631 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:16

Should have been titled "Suspension travel & Bimbos". :blush:

#22 Mila

Mila

• 8,564 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:15

Still, it was less offensive than the video Red Bull shot in Bahrain, in which their Trophy truck flew over a stack of corpses.

:)

#23 loki

loki

• 12,038 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 17:30

Oh lighten up. It's enjoyable nonsense. Some company soups a truck up to within an inch of it's life and pays some bloke to make a (I agree, bland) but enjoyable five minute film of him skidding and jumping over stuff. 

It's part of Baldwin's Toyo Tires and Monster Energy deal to make the Recoil videos.  The truck is from the premier Baja style desert racing class.  It's part of an effort to get more people interested in desert endurance racing.  As in other sports Monster is only the sponsor.   Baldwin's team builds and maintains the vehicles.  What Monster is really paying for is is for him to win the Baja 1000 and/or Mint 400. Which he has.

There is a race winning truck with a good pedigee for sale right now, not Baldwin's,  for about US$400k... 

#24 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 17:48

It seems a few million youtube hits is worth the expenditure eh?

Isnt Baja pretty popular already?  And also very dangerous, wasnt someone killed there a few years back?

I doubt this has anything to do with anything other than monster promoting their product.

Maybe diabetes isnt a problem yet in Mexico? 

#25 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 00:11

Those are some foolish girls there....

#26 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 00:16

Those are some foolish girls there....

They do whatever Dan Bilzerian tells them to do.  :cry:

#27 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:01

It's part of Baldwin's Toyo Tires and Monster Energy deal to make the Recoil videos.  The truck is from the premier Baja style desert racing class.  It's part of an effort to get more people interested in desert endurance racing.  As in other sports Monster is only the sponsor.   Baldwin's team builds and maintains the vehicles.  What Monster is really paying for is is for him to win the Baja 1000 and/or Mint 400. Which he has.

There is a race winning truck with a good pedigee for sale right now, not Baldwin's,  for about US$400k... 

I enjoyed watching the video. I only meant that it was a bit bland because it draws from a tried and tested format and doesn't add much new or interesting to the format. That isn't really a valid criticism because, as you say, it's essentially an advert, both for the sponsors and the race series. It's not an advert's job to push the boundaries, but to get people watching the screen for a few minutes. Which this does in a great fashion.

If somebody were to stage a race with three or four of these things bounding around a huge, stunt course, I would definitely watch it. 

#28 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:44

They do whatever Dan Bilzerian tells them to do.  :cry:

When you're the son of a corporate criminal, and yourself are rolling in millions, how many people are going to tell you no? 

#29 loki

loki

• 12,038 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 22:16

If somebody were to stage a race with three or four of these things bounding around a huge, stunt course, I would definitely watch it. 

That's called short course off road.  Most are about a mile long, you can see the whole track from the stands. The headliner classes are similar to the Trophy Trucks but not as heavy and more nimble.  Basically the same power train and suspension.