- - - - -

Mick Schumacher - soon to be in F1?

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#1 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:07

So, according to BILD, Mick Schumacher, 15 year old son of Michael Schumacher, has just finished as runner-up in a Karting Championship. He is racing as Mick Betsch (Betsch was Corinna's former surname) and has been impressive so far. He gave a short interview to Gazetta dello Sport saying

Of course I'm proud of this result, but my goal has to be winning the championship. However, this is only the beginning of my career.

Assuming that the guy on the left looks like it could indeed be MSC's son, what do you think about his chances of getting into F1 sooner or later? Personally, I think it would be amazing to see another MSC on the grid and it's finally some positive news regarding the Schumacher-family after all those hard months.

Here's the article: http://www.bild.de/s...77068.bild.html

Edited by GoldenColt, 23 September 2014 - 10:08.

Advertisement

#2 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:17

So, according to BILD, Mick Schumacher, 15 year old son of Michael Schumacher, has just finished as runner-up in a Karting Championship. He is racing as Mick Betsch (Betsch was Corinna's former surname) and has been impressive so far. He gave a short interview to Gazetta dello Sport saying

Assuming that the guy on the left looks like it could indeed be MSC's son, what do you think about his chances of getting into F1 sooner or later? Personally, I think it would be amazing to see another MSC on the grid and it's finally some positive news regarding the Schumacher-family after all those hard months.

Impossible to know, maybe he gets the drive only because he has the right surname, but if he is performing like Michael or could be champions material time will tell, we had examples in the past when sons were really good (Villeneuve, Rosberg) or they failed to come close the performance of their dad. In the end he an individual character and not 1 to 1 copy of Michael. 

Edited by 1Devil1, 23 September 2014 - 10:17.

#3 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:19

"A karting championship". There's hundreds of karting championships. Which one? Is it competitive?

He's 15, he's not gonna be in F1 soon. Not everyone's Max Verstappen. And even if he's good in karting, zero guarantees that'll translate well into open-wheel cars. That being said, right about everyone who's family of a former top driver invariably gets advantaged through the ladder over all the other random guys, so even if he turns out to be totally crap I'm sure he can still salvage a DTM seat or WEC seat or whatever eventually. If he's half good he'll be in F1.

#4 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:21

Kart KF Junior Class according to the article. Whatever that is.

#5 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:24

You have to keep in mind this is the BILD, they just want to make a headline about the son as next superstar

#6 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:53

Here is the link to its official site:

http://www.cikfia.com/home.html

#7 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:01

Looks like there's some pretty decent Brit's in the pipeline too.

That'll be nice when The Hammer retires.......

#8 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:07

He'll be in F1 in 5 years time I think. Of course, bang goes any anonymity and a media melee will follow him everywhere. There was a reason he used the name Betsch and not Schumacher.

#9 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,440 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:17

I hope he doesn't. If he doesn't live up to the schumacher name, they will hang him. Ask Ralf. He's better off playing football.

#10 SGWilko

SGWilko

• 102 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:25

If he wins, do we get to shout 'Hey Mick, you're f****n' good'? :drunk:

#11 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:37

Registered as Mick Junior, of course.

Can't be easy for the kid right now anyway.

#12 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,741 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:48

The question is not whether young Mick makes it to F1... It's whether the lad that WON the karting championship makes it to F1...

#13 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 14:05

what's the chance of Mick Junior and Max Verstappen being in the same F1 team?  and better yet, managed by Briatore ............. :drunk:

#14 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 14:09

He'll be in F1 in 5 years time I think. Of course, bang goes any anonymity and a media melee will follow him everywhere. There was a reason he used the name Betsch and not Schumacher.

He didn't look very far outside his own family.  No "John Winter" sort of thing.

They ought to pass a law that no F1 driver offspring can use a family name.  Not until they win an F1 race at least.

#15 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 14:16

He didn't look very far outside his own family.  No "John Winter" sort of thing.

They ought to pass a law that no F1 driver offspring can use a family name.  Not until they win an F1 race at least.

I'm trying to think of any father/son World Champions, and can only come up the Graham/Damon  There are very few Father/Son GP winners even...

#16 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 14:19

15. Son to a famous ex F1-driver. Is in karting.

He will be in F1 in 2016. 

#17 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 14:40

He is isn't racing under his mum's name. They didn't want to warrant unwanted media attention. I guess the cat is out of the bag now. It's a shame really, kid needs to be left alone to enjoy his racing.

Edited by rhukkas, 23 September 2014 - 14:43.

#18 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,853 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 15:02

The John Winter-story is not a happy fairytale :/

#19 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 16:16

Impossible to say if he'll make it, but I respect him using his mother's name and trying to stand on his own two feet. Makes a contrast to Bruno Lalli and Nelson Souto Major Jr :p

Advertisement

#20 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 16:32

I think that some of the fathers are a little over eager.  Kmag, Verstappen are examples of getting in over your head a bit too soon.  That is possible, but I think that if you do a proper foundation you have a better chance in F1.  It sounds like that is the program they have Mick on, so he will probably stand a better chance in that regard.  He does have the genes for it, and lots of ex-f1 drivers and frankly, current f1 drivers that would happily see him thru the minors so I'd say he stands a great chance of being successful.  Probably better than those coming in too early and suffering for it.

#21 zanquis

zanquis

• 5,174 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 16:38

Not anytime soon, been checking the guy out some years, but he was decent but not spectaculair. Maybe he will make a later growth and become a great but he is not showing it now. He will not be a early talent, he will take the long route.

#22 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 16:48

I'm trying to think of any father/son World Champions, and can only come up the Graham/Damon  There are very few Father/Son GP winners even...

Villeneuve was close. Rosberg maybe soon.

#23 lars75

lars75

• 1,123 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 17:06

It's not that this is his first season in karting and he is using the name 'Betsch' for quit some time now.

https://www.driverdb...rs/mick-betsch/

But up untill now he wasn't that succesfull. 

Some are comparing him with Max Verstappen, but really guys!!!

https://www.driverdb...max-verstappen/

He has a very long way to go to be close to Max at the age of 16!

But never the less, this is his first decent season in karting so far. It seems he now wants to live up to his dads legacy and is proud to be his son and wants to show it. He seems more eager and focused as he did in previous years. Hopefully he will be succesfull and can find his way in carracing. There are a lot off people willing to help him the comming years when he steps up from karting. So with the wright support he could make it to F1. But he only has the gene pool of his fathers site, Max his mother, uncle and grandfather are great drivers as well. Max fell into a bath off gasoline after his birth!!!

A name can open doors that are closed to others, but at the end of the day your results will make sure you make it to F1.

Mathias Lauda, Nicolas Prost, Josh Hill, Alex Brundle, Gregg Mansell and upcoming others like Panis, Nissany, Blomqvist, Rosenqvist, Sainz, Fittipaldi, Piquet and many others. A name is no insurance, results are!!!

So I think he shows potential, but first a decent second year like this one and switch to carracing after that.

#24 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,823 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 17:15

15 is quite old to be still racing in a European Junior kart series. Most of the current top F1 drivers were competing in top-level senior karting by that age.

#25 lars75

lars75

• 1,123 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 18:56

15 is quite old to be still racing in a European Junior kart series. Most of the current top F1 drivers were competing in top-level senior karting by that age.

Nyck de Vries was KF world champion at the age of 15, so that's not completely treu. Max there for was champion in KF as KZ at the age of 15. But even Ocon, Fuoco, Barnicoat competed in KF at the age of 15.

#26 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 19:20

KF and KZ are senior classes

#27 balage06

balage06

• 3,106 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 19:22

Nyck de Vries was KF world champion at the age of 15, so that's not completely treu. Max there for was champion in KF as KZ at the age of 15. But even Ocon, Fuoco, Barnicoat competed in KF at the age of 15.

Mick currently competes in KFJ category, which is reserved for 13 to 15 years old Juniors.

#28 lars75

lars75

• 1,123 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 19:24

KF and KZ are senior classes

Well I think the problem is the new categories KF and KF junior as is first was KF3, KF2 and KF1.

#29 balage06

balage06

• 3,106 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 19:52

Well I think the problem is the new categories KF and KF junior as is first was KF3, KF2 and KF1.

According to the CIK-FIA website:

World KF Championship - KF1

World KFJ Championship - KF3

Euro KF Championship - KF2

Euro KFJ Championship - KF3

#30 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,929 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:01

does anyone know how Hugo Häkkinen is doing?

#31 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:30

I'm a bit surprised to see him coming second to be honest, you have to be good to accomplish that but I haven't seen him do something spectacular over the last years. As long as he enjoys his racing he has to continue but I don't really think he'll make it into F1. But I would be glad to be proven otherwise of course

#32 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 17:21

en.espnf1.com/tororosso/motorsport/story/176705.html

Well, may be whatever happened to Schumacher made up Mick's mind about what he wants to do. You know, a catalyst. Who knows what he will do, and how well really? I just wish him the best of luck, to go along with whatever he chooses to do.

#33 mkoscevic

mkoscevic

• 681 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 17:28

Impossible to know, maybe he gets the drive only because he has the right surname, but if he is performing like Michael or could be champions material time will tell, we had examples in the past when sons were really good (Villeneuve, Rosberg) or they failed to come close the performance of their dad. In the end he an individual character and not 1 to 1 copy of Michael. 

Well said.  :up:

#34 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 237 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 18:55

Years ago, I read from F1 racing that when MSC was in karting, everyone said "he's decent but he'll never make it to F1." Same story when he was doing single seaters and sportscars. MSC was not like Verstappen or even like Hamilton or Vettel when he was coming through the ranks. But he worked harder than everyone else and became the most successful driver of all time. 

If Mick has inherited his father's work ethic, he'll be fine. 

#35 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 24,563 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 19:51

The John Winter-story is not a happy fairytale :/

Sadly no. I hope Louis found peace.

#36 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,565 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 20:36

Honestly, I don't think he's got a shot at F1. He's too old already. He's 15 and he didn't even test F1 car. Let's be honest, F1 doesn't need 18+ year old grandpas.

#37 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 20:37

You just kind of hoped he would have called him Jurgen or something dont you?

Awful

#38 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 20:41

On the other hand, he is also Ralf Schumacher's nephew.

#39 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 20:48

With his family's money and connections, if the lad wants to have a racing career I have no doubt he'll eventually sit in a F1 car.

Advertisement

#40 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 20:54

Years ago, I read from F1 racing that when MSC was in karting, everyone said "he's decent but he'll never make it to F1." Same story when he was doing single seaters and sportscars. MSC was not like Verstappen or even like Hamilton or Vettel when he was coming through the ranks. But he worked harder than everyone else and became the most successful driver of all time. 

It does appear that people use any excuse to justify getting a 'son-of' further up the ranks.

#41 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 20:55

I have high hopes for the kid.  I think he should have a seat reserved with his name on it - his dad is F1 royalty, so give him a decent shot no matter what - as they did for Senna's nephew.  In any case, Mick already has all kinds of people in extremely high places to speak about it with if he wants - not the least of which is the Prez.

#42 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 22:39

I hope it is not the kid on the right!

The name will open doors ok, but only if he is good. To be fair his Uncle Ralf was good, just not as good as his brother. If Mick is only as good as his uncle he may get there but struggle from there on.

#43 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 23:07

Mick Schumacher reeks of Bruno senna mk 2 wont last more than a year if he cant cut the mustard names mean nothing only talent prime example would be Ricardo at rb   

Edited by iii, 24 September 2014 - 23:07.

#44 Chick0

Chick0

• 477 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 23:12

F1 Racing was very much mistaken.  Schumi was one of the highest regarded young karters, and more often then not raced with a smaller budget than his competitors..  

1987 1st German Kart Championship 1987 1st European Championship 100cc 1986 3rd German Kart Championship 1985 1st German Junior Kart Championship 1985 2nd World Junior Championship 1984 1st German Junior Kart Championship

#45 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,529 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 23:33

I can assure you F1 racing is wrong. Schumacher was already a special driver in F3 in 1989-1990. Then he went to Sauber Mercedes was extremely fast and had that great work ethic we all know. Only HHF "could" be faster, but he never had Schumacher's work ethic.

I hope Mick can do the same thing, but it's quite a task to expect him to be the same as his father in terms of results.

#46 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 00:30

It should be noted the elite CIK classes are not quite what they were with regard to popularity and depth of talent. I am being literal when i say it is just a small group of millionaire, and some billionaire's sons racing.

Max's success was noted because of his performances in KZ.

#47 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 00:30

It should be noted the elite CIK classes are not quite what they were with regard to popularity and depth of talent. I am being literal when i say it is just a small group of millionaire, and some billionaire's sons racing.

Max's success was noted because of his performances in KZ.

#48 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 00:50

Mick Schumacher reeks of Bruno senna mk 2 wont last more than a year if he cant cut the mustard names mean nothing only talent prime example would be Ricardo at rb   

Please use some ****ing punctuation. 

#49 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 14:57

I don't care what his name is, if he's not good enough move over for someone who is. I have never understood the obsession some fans have with getting a 'son of' on the grid, or for that matter the 'excitement' in seeing a 'name' on the grid. Seeing Bruno Senna wasn't the same as seeing Ayrton. You can say the same of Piquet, Villeneuve, Magnussen, Hill, Andretti and any of the ever increasing 'sons of' who seem to be creeping into the world of motorsport. You may as well call them Mr Smith, or Mr Brown for all the difference it makes. I understand why so many want to pursue a career in the same sport and I have nothing against any of them provided they have a realistic view of their own talent. If you can genuinely cut the mustard, great, but anything else is just nepotism and a bullsh*t marketing exercise, in the same vein as having 'Lotus' plastered on the side of a car that has about as much to do with Lotus as a mouldy potato.

Edited by superden, 25 September 2014 - 15:19.

#50 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 893 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 15:16

Never mind sons of...what about Emmo's grandson who is doing quite well in Formula Renault, having just wrapped up a title...wonder how far he will go?