Photo
* * * * - 9 votes

Where will Alonso go for 2015?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3945 replies to this topic

Poll: Where will Alonso go for 2015? (633 member(s) have cast votes)

Where will Alonso go for 2015?

1. Ferrari (as now) (236 votes [37.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.28%

2. Mercedes (31 votes [4.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

3. Williams (8 votes [1.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.26%

4. Red Bull (25 votes [3.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

5. McLaren (264 votes [41.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.71%

6. Lotus (17 votes [2.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.69%

7. He's leaving F1 - sabbatical (44 votes [6.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.95%

8. Other (please specify) (8 votes [1.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.26%

Vote

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:59

Given that the Alonso subject is taking over the 2015 Silly Season thread, I thought it'd be a good idea to create a thread, with a poll of the possible options:

Ferrari

- presumably another season with Kimi. The question here is whether he has ran out of patience, after all this is season number five with Ferrari. Schumacher won his first title in his fifth season with the Scuderia, after coming close on three previous occasions. Twice Alonso has come close, but to no avail. Alonso is 33 now, is this potentially is last chance to move to another team?

Red Bull

- if this was to happen, a swap with Vettel. I'm not sure Vettel would want to leave Red Bull, but would he really turn down the chance to go to Ferrari? I don't think so. Alonso could, at Red Bull, help Ricciardo potentially in the same way Schumacher did with Massa at Ferrari in 2006. I'm not suggesting that Alonso would become a #2 at Red Bull, just that I think it could help Ricciardo more than hinder him.

McLaren

- if this happened, Button would surely be forced into retirement or endurance racing. I really don't want to see Button 'doing a Rubens' and going around the mid-field teams for a few years. Would Alonso be welcomed back to McLaren after his 2007 nightmares? Would he and Dennis get along? Alonso and Magnussen could be an interesting pairing, and from a Honda perspective, Alonso would be great for them.

I personally think those are the only viable options, but there are other options that have been mooted, including bizarrely a return to Lotus. Williams is a silly one as well (unless three car teams happened) and Mercedes is only likely if Hamilton and Rosberg's relationship was irreparable.

I'd love to see a swap with Vettel, but in reality at this point, I think this is a lot of media hot air, but time will tell.

Advertisement

#2 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,796 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:08

At this rate if there will be third cars, Alonso will drive them at Ferrari, Mclaren, Red Bull, Mercedes and apparently Lotus  :) 

#3 BARHonda006

BARHonda006

• 541 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:09

I don't think you can discount Alonso replacing Magnusson at McLaren.  I find it somewhat annoying that people so easily discount Button and expect him to be without a seat next season.

#4 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:10

He'll stay. For a shatload of money. And become the most successful Ferrari-driver to never win a WDC with the Scuderia.

Edited by GoldenColt, 23 September 2014 - 13:11.

#5 Borko

Borko

• 2,226 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:10

I think he is going to remain with Ferrari, for at least one more year.

#6 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:18

I think he is going to remain with Ferrari, for at least one more year.

Either he stays with Ferrari for long term or not at all....Mattiacci is not going to accept short term commitment, especially since its possible that Kimi might retire already after 2015 (which is possible but not certain)...that would leave Ferrari searching for 2 new drivers, and they dont want to be in that position, especially if all other "star" drivers would be locked to other teams.

#7 aray

aray

• 5,779 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:20

McLaren...

#8 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 495 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:23

I voted for Lotus because I obviously have no clue what he will do, but Lotus would be the funniest option. Once again back to Enstone waiting for something better to turn up. :)

#9 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:29

He'll stay. Makes sense for everyone involved in this circus :p

#10 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:33

Who knows. Because of how the regulations are, there can be big jumps in relative performance only during the winter. That makes it hard to tell which team will be leading the field next year. Look at where Red Bull and Lotus were last year. Look at where McLaren was in 2012.

I guess he'll stay with Ferrari because McLaren-Honda is too big a risk for him, and Mercedes and Red Bull seem to do just fine without him.

I really don't want to see Button 'doing a Rubens' and going around the mid-field teams for a few years.

It would indeed be unfortunate to see Button languish in the mid-field.  ;)

#11 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,304 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:34

My head says he'll drive for McLaren-Honda in 2016. McLaren-Honda was his dream team when he was a kid. I'm sure he would love to make his dream come true before his retirement. There are too much politics going on in Italy. 

#12 Sebastien007

Sebastien007

• 637 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:36

In my eyes it is definitely Maclaren.

that will hapen at the japanese gp, Suzuka, the track of Honda.

Ferrari can not garantie a winning car next year.

#13 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:38

Ferrari can not garantie a winning car next year.

But McLaren-Honda can?

#14 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,299 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:39

Go back to where his success started: Enstone. 

SPORTBILD usually has some tight connections and they're claiming Lawrence Stroll will buy Lotus-Mercedes so his son can eventually race there. That means Grosjean and Maldonado will be out. Briatore is apparently orchestrating the whole Lotus-Alonso deal because both believe that they'll be strong next year due to a switch to Mercedes engines.

Sounds ludicrous but SPORTBILD have almost always been right in every story they broke. 

Edited by Cyanide, 23 September 2014 - 13:39.

#15 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:43

Go back to where his success started: Enstone. 

SPORTBILD usually has some tight connections and they're claiming Lawrence Stroll will buy Lotus-Mercedes so his son can eventually race there. That means Grosjean and Maldonado will be out. Briatore is apparently orchestrating the whole Lotus-Alonso deal because both believe that they'll be strong next year due to a switch to Mercedes engines.

Sounds ludicrous but SPORTBILD have almost always been right in every story they broke. 

That's the biggest fantasy anyone at Lotus would find believing man. Alonso's not returning back to Enstone, they have too many issues and the Stroll deal isn't 100%, just doesn't offer much security of hope for the future. 

Edited by Brazzers, 23 September 2014 - 13:46.

#16 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,299 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:46

That's the biggest fantasy anyone at Lotus would find believing man. Alonso's not returning back to Enstone, they have too many issues and the Stroll deal isn't 100%. 

I'm not saying he will, I'm suggesting he should. If the deal with Stroll is legit, that is.  

Seriously, bro - funding and Mercedes engines. Lotus can crawl back to the top where they belong if they get the minerals from Stroll and the power unit from Brackley. Maybe not next year immediately, but 2016 likely. 

That said, I see only two realistic scenarios: Ferrari or McLaren. 

#17 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,622 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:48

Ferrari.

He already had his shot at his childhood dreamteam.

And that ended with 2 people getting fired and anamosity towards Ronny D.

For as good as he is in the cockpit, he's a whinner out of it.

Get on with it, and honor your contract Fred!

#18 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:48

I'm not saying he will, I'm suggesting he should. If the deal with Stroll is legit, that is.  

Seriously, bro - funding and Mercedes engines. Lotus can crawl back to the top where they belong if they get the minerals from Stroll and the power unit from Brackley. Maybe not next year immediately, but 2016 likely. 

That said, I see only two realistic scenarios: Ferrari or McLaren. 

My bad, lol.

I guess it's either McLaren or Ferrari, but i suspect it's Ferrari.

#19 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:49

That's the biggest fantasy anyone at Lotus would find believing man. Alonso's not returning back to Enstone, they have too many issues and the Stroll deal isn't 100%, just doesn't offer much security of hope for the future. 

yeap, sounds completely bizarre to me as well....even joining Mclaren-Honda for 2015 would be much safer bet than going to Lotus. While switching to Mercedes engines is going to be improvement, having a better power-unit alone is not enough.....its much easier to see Mclaren-Honda fighting for top positions much sooner than Lotus...

Its either going to be Mclaren or Ferrari, unless we have 3 cars per team next season...that's the only way I see way opening for Alonso to RedBull or Mercedes for 2015 atleast, and even if we would get 3 cars per team, I suspect Alonso has already signed the new contract before that major news would be announced.

Edited by Balnazzard, 23 September 2014 - 13:52.

Advertisement

#20 TimTams

TimTams

• 22 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:51

He'll stay. For a shatload of money. And become the most successful Ferrari-driver to never win a WDC with the Scuderia.

Funnily enough, Alonso already holds the record as being the most successful Ferrari driver to have not won a world championship for them.

His win in Spain 2013 tied him with Massa, each having 11 wins for Ferrari, but Alonso's 17 2nd places beat Massa's 11.

#21 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 13:58

Ferrari. Surely it's worth waiting for an Allison-penned car. McLaren's key signings and restructuring will probably only bear fruit by 2016.

#22 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,987 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 14:07

I've got a hunch that with the changes going on at Ferrari, that will mean he stays. You might as well, nowhere else would be better...

#23 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,227 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 14:09

McLaren, definitely. Best to be in at the start.

#24 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,708 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 14:10

McLaren

- if this happened, Button would surely be forced into retirement or endurance racing.

Why would McLaren replace the guy who is currently thrashing his team mate? 

Because "He's our Kev and we are worried that it might be bad for his career and we want to give him a cuddle"?

I would have thought it was clear that a JB/Fred combination would be a much stronger partnership, both in terms of driving talent and car development which is going to massively important next year.

I know JB's detractors are always desperate to make excuses for his team mates but it's getting a bit silly now.

Anybody really think that Fred/Kev would be stronger than JB/Fred?

#25 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 14:33

Should the stories circulating in 2007 about the goings on at McLaren  be true,I really can't see Ronzo and Fred kissing and making up..Then again, in the surreal world that is F1 :eek:

#26 kwikmike

kwikmike

• 51 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 14:37

I would like to see the Lotus deal happening.. It would free up the top drives a bit so some young talent can have a real go next year. Hopefully, Lotus will have a BrawnGP season next year to finish this nice little daydream.. Shame that most of the top guys already left the ship..

Edited by kwikmike, 23 September 2014 - 14:49.

#27 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,304 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 14:46

Should the stories circulating in 2007 about the goings on at McLaren  be true,I really can't see Ronzo and Fred kissing and making up..Then again, in the surreal world that is F1 :eek:

This is F1, never say never. You wouldn't ever believe Alonso would drive for Ferrari in 2006

#28 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 15:19

Ferrari.   Where else is he gonna go?

#29 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 15:32

Lotus doesnt sound too unlikely to me.

Mclaren and Ferrari both want long term agreements, but both of them are a big question mark in terms of performance.

Mercedes and Red bull just dont have a seat or a reason to release any of their drivers,they all perform rather well... they maybe fancy the idea of having Alonso, but not at the cost of breaking contracts.

if Im not mistaken every potential top team will have a seat available by the end of 2015

So maybe alonso returns for another short stint at enstone, waiting for the new opportunity to arise.

But he is probably(hopefully) staying at ferrari.

#30 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 16:33

Lotus doesnt sound too unlikely to me.

Mclaren and Ferrari both want long term agreements, but both of them are a big question mark in terms of performance.

Mercedes and Red bull just dont have a seat or a reason to release any of their drivers,they all perform rather well... they maybe fancy the idea of having Alonso, but not at the cost of breaking contracts.

if Im not mistaken every potential top team will have a seat available by the end of 2015

So maybe alonso returns for another short stint at enstone, waiting for the new opportunity to arise.

But he is probably(hopefully) staying at ferrari.

Meh, it would still be huge gamble and secondly even if Lotus would improve next season with the help of Mercedes power unit, its still highly unlikely that they would be able to return right away to the level they were at 2012 and 2013....so if Alonso would return there even for 1 year, it would be really difficult season, without hope of fighting for really good positions, another year wasted for Fernando....really if he wants to gamble, then he should go to Mclaren right away...if he wants to play it safe, he should accept whatever Ferrari has to offer...either way there is no guarantee that either are able to provide championship winning car in the near future, but what better option is there?

Taking the risk with Lotus for 1 year and waiting for seat to free at Red Bull (whom are more likely interested moving the young generation of drivers forward anyway) or Mercedes is way too risky, so unless we get 3rd cars for top teams next season, there is not much choice, its either Ferrari or Mclaren.

#31 nordschleife

nordschleife

• 940 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 16:44

As I am able to read Alonso's mind from great distances, I can assure you of this. If he were to leave Ferrari and won every year until retirement he would remain unfulfilled. And he would trade all those titles for one at Ferrari. Which is not a measure of his performances which haven't been surpassed in quality by anyone since he joined Ferrari. He just needs to "drink the milk." I hope he stays for as long as it takes and that he finally ticks that box then retires.   

#32 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 17:15

As I am able to read Alonso's mind from great distances, I can assure you of this. If he were to leave Ferrari and won every year until retirement he would remain unfulfilled. And he would trade all those titles for one at Ferrari. Which is not a measure of his performances which haven't been surpassed in quality by anyone since he joined Ferrari. He just needs to "drink the milk." I hope he stays for as long as it takes and that he finally ticks that box then retires.   

Your reasoning looks good on paper, but be sure, Ferrari is not going to wait as long as it takes to get the WDC with Alonso, sooner or later they will replace him with someone younger with or without achieving this goal. So, it is Alonso who needs to make the decision whether to finish his career at Ferrari without any guarantee for another WDC or to cut his losses and leave at the end of this season.

#33 JimiKart

JimiKart

• 457 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 17:18

Ferrari.   Where else is he gonna go?

Well, he could go to Merc, Mac or RB, Williams would take him... oh ya and so would every other team on the grid, no shortage of options.

#34 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 17:31

Why would McLaren replace the guy who is currently thrashing his team mate? 

Because "He's our Kev and we are worried that it might be bad for his career and we want to give him a cuddle"?

I would have thought it was clear that a JB/Fred combination would be a much stronger partnership, both in terms of driving talent and car development which is going to massively important next year.

I know JB's detractors are always desperate to make excuses for his team mates but it's getting a bit silly now.

Anybody really think that Fred/Kev would be stronger than JB/Fred?

Mclaren may also think pairing a young driver with Alonso is beneficial for growth etc... If they have to fork out 30 plus a year Kmag comes in a bit cheaper then JB as well. Who would Alonso prefer as his teammate within the Mclaren culture of equality.... who knows. 

#35 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 18:29

He'll give Ferrari one more year and hope he gets a better car. If it's another s**t box he'll go back to McLaren in 2016. jmo

#36 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 610 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 18:29

Where he will go, well that's a good question, I hope he stays and Ferrari's tech team will finally deliver. McLaren is huge question, even if Honda engines will be great there is still chassis and McLaren's is very poor for second year in a row. They have now Merc engines and are still way behind. McLaren had up and downs but always returned, but some major tech team that created 2012 car for example are gone, they are restructuring, (something Ferrari was doing in past few years) and waiting for fruits may take 3-4 years, same with Lotus, Alonso is not young and he should look for the team that will be able deliver WDC car immediately in next year or in 2016. To those team I would count Merc, RB and Ferrari in that order, Ferrari need to sort out engine but chassis is good. But maybe Alonso is looking for other team not (only) because of car but also because of disturbed harmony in the team, the bosses who stood behind him (LdM, Dom) are gone.

Edited by ArkZ, 23 September 2014 - 18:30.

#37 Vinsin

Vinsin

• 612 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 18:37

I think Marchionne and Mattiachi don't want this BS surrounding Alonso's future to rumble on in 2015.

So they'd be telling him either to leave for good now or commit for his full contract end of 2016. Anything in between will be another year of irritant and distraction to Ferrari's progress and plans. They want stability, not this weekly drama since 2011 surrounding 1 driver.

#38 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 18:41

Ferrari and Alonso are both very opaque entities, so it's hard to know what's really go on.

I don't see any sense in Alonso doing anything other than staying with Ferrari and re-evaluating the opportunities available for 2016. BUT if Ferrari  are upset at his management making overtures to Merc and RBR and are resolute that he needs to commit longer term they may force him in Honda's direction.

It comes down to the personalities involved and whether they can calm things down and make mutually advantageous decisions. 

#39 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,547 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 18:44

I think Marchionne and Mattiachi don't want this BS surrounding Alonso's future to rumble on in 2015.

So they'd be telling him either to leave for good now or commit for his full contract end of 2016. Anything in between will be another year of irritant and distraction to Ferrari's progress and plans. They want stability, not this weekly drama since 2011 surrounding 1 driver.

This. But they want to secure Alonso until 2019. If Alonso stays with his current contract (2016) next year will bring the same rubbish.

Advertisement

#40 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 18:51

This topic feels familiar.  Every year.  :lol:

The question as always been.. where can he go?  Going by the poll, the answer is McLaren.  If McLaren is the best option, there isn't much to discuss.  McLaren could bounce back in the future and be strong but in the last 3 years they've been on a downwards trajectory and it'd be a huge risk.  He'd rather stay at Ferrari.  That's why these topics always go around in circles.  Because he will always be better of staying with Ferrari.  If a Mercedes seat opened up, pretty sure he'd want to jump all over it but it's not an option, and Ferrari is a prestigious team.  The results haven't been that bad, it's just that the expectations are very high.  The results have been worse in the last 2 years but overall they have been quite good and he finished 2nd in the championship a few times.  This years car is pretty average but he's still 4th at present.  Ferrari has a prestige and if you want to leave, it needs to be for a better option (or to retire).  Maybe one day he will take a big risk but at the moment the default answer always seems to be "he will stay at Ferrari".

#41 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,818 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 18:53

Mclaren may also think pairing a young driver with Alonso is beneficial for growth etc... If they have to fork out 30 plus a year Kmag comes in a bit cheaper then JB as well. Who would Alonso prefer as his teammate within the Mclaren culture of equality.... who knows. 

How's it going to be beneficial for KM's growth to be paired with Alonso?

Will it be helpful when Alonso keeps pointing out how many seconds Kevin finished behind him?

Alonso aims to destroy his team-mates, not promote their growth.

#42 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 18:54

Mclaren approaching Alonso could just be a massive mind **** by Ron Dennis to destabilise things at Ferrari.

#43 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 19:08

Mclaren approaching Alonso could just be a massive mind **** by Ron Dennis to destabilise things at Ferrari.

We're not in the mid 2000s anymore. I think Ron has bigger problems to worry about than destabilising Ferrari.

I think the above posts sum up the situation pretty well: It's in Alonso's best interests to stay at Ferrari one more year then make up his mind to stay or go, while it's in Ferrari's worst interests to let him do that, they need to pin him down or get rid of him now, One of them will have to compromise.

#44 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 19:15

He'll give Ferrari one more year and hope he gets a better car. If it's another s**t box he'll go back to McLaren in 2016. jmo

But the thing is Ferrari is NOT going to give him just one more year...they want to make sure he stays LOT longer than that and is 100% committed to Ferrari no matter what...that's what Ferrari is trying to achieve right now anyway, they know Alonso would take gamble by going to Mclaren...and even if he leaves, they know that they cant rely on Alonso forever anyways, fixing the problems with the car is the main priority, if they can deliver with the car, then driver like Kimi is able to deliver the results on track. So they want to keep Alonso, but only if they know that Alonso is fully committed to the team for LONG time period, they are sick of Alonso looking elsewhere and having this uncertainty whether he leaves or stays.

#45 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 19:20

When do the current contracts of Lewis, Alonso & Vettel run out? Are they all contracted through end of 2015? 

Lewis wont move for 2015, safe to say. Vettel must be wondering whether his legacy can be hurt by RIC if he loses to him next year as well? And knowing the rules n cars stay the same and given he has not been able to get on top of the issues, this must be a worry. So would he be thinking of moving for 2015? If yes, why wont Alonso move to RBR given that it is the 2nd best car and he should be encouraged by what RIC has managed this year. Could give him a realistic shot next year if he moves to RBR. Ferrari and McLaren are way down the road and I think Alonso would be having his doubts about both these teams. He may even have preferred a Williams drive next year given their current form, but they just resigned both drivers for next year, so there are no openings there. I doubt he wants to move to Lotus as they are cash strapped.

#46 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 19:21

We're not in the mid 2000s anymore. I think Ron has bigger problems to worry about than destabilising Ferrari.

I think the above posts sum up the situation pretty well: It's in Alonso's best interests to stay at Ferrari one more year then make up his mind to stay or go, while it's in Ferrari's worst interests to let him do that, they need to pin him down or get rid of him now, One of them will have to compromise.

And both parties are famous for their ability to compromise. This will definitely end well lol.

Obviously, it is Fernando who has more to lose, though I am not so sure if an Alonso you basically forced to drive for you is such a good idea to have in your team, but well, what do I know.

#47 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 19:23

Stay put or Mclaren.

#48 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,304 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 19:32

With Kimi on board, Ferrari don't really 'need' Alonso there. As good as he is, in five years he hasn't been able to win a championship with them, time to move on then. Would be great to see him in a Red Bull. If he moves to McLaren, he's throwing away his last few good years in F1.

#49 l8apex

l8apex

• 556 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 19:41

Ferrari should cave and give him the performance/exit clause he desires.  If the car is fast next year, they will get to keep him beyond 2015.

Ferrari will probably be Ferrari and continue to play hardball, therefore I predict Alonso will be at McLaren with a 2 year contract or possibly a 3 year with a performance clause.

#50 blub

blub

• 119 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 19:42

Fred to Mercedes Lewis to Ferrari, this would be such a worthwhile experiment.

There are reports that Honda is going to turn on the love when Fred gets to Japan next week, which started me wondering, what would I do to get Fred?

First this would be an effort by both McLaren and Honda, he will be driving for McLaren not Honda, so they double team Fred. First, invite him to a day at Motegi or one of the tracks Honda owns. No PR, no crowds almost no one, a peaceful silence all around, just the essential engineers. Have waiting for him, alone in the garage THE car Senna drove to one of his titles, with a it’s Honda engine. Hand Fred THE drivers suite that Senna wore, have him put it on. It might be a good idea to only have Japanese men and women there, hope for a big language barrier, go all Kabuki on Fred. Lead Fred to the car, as he approaches have the tires bolted onto the car, then the Honda engineers start up the engine, invite Fred into the car, strap him in. Hand Fred THE helmet that Senna wore during his winning years. Open the garage door and invite him to take a spin. Fuel the car for 20 laps, let him dream.

Flash him a pit board saying pit, lead him back into the garage, show him a letter of intent/contract. No Ron Dennis, no press, a driver and a car, take it or leave it, now or never.