Team Mate Battles - Singapore GP

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ottostreet

ottostreet

• 19 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:06

http://formulaspy.co...apore-gp-2-6216

Hey guys, I've updated my Team Mate Battles for Singapore, interested to hear your thoughts. I'm still not entirely sure if I'm allowed share this, so mods please delete if not!

Advertisement

#2 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:21

This is unfair because at least with SFI it matters who ended in better position the race not whom seem to appear to have beaten the other before the safety car in the end who get the better position is all that matters.  :down:

#3 ottostreet

ottostreet

• 19 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:55

This is unfair because at least with SFI it matters who ended in better position the race not whom seem to appear to have beaten the other before the safety car in the end who get the better position is all that matters.  :down:

If that was the case, it would just be a case of 'refer to race classification'. I tend to try to differentiate between a better finishing position, and a better performance. Usually, they go hand in hand, but not always.

#4 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:15

If that was the case, it would just be a case of 'refer to race classification'. I tend to try to differentiate between a better finishing position, and a better performance. Usually, they go hand in hand, but not always.

And thank you for that.

Don't mind Emmanuel. He is just highly 'active' in matters of Perez's reputation around here.

Edited by Seanspeed, 26 September 2014 - 08:16.

#5 HeidfeldsBeard

HeidfeldsBeard

• 599 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:56

A good read as usual, some tough calls this time out. Hulk/Perez and Grosjean/Maldonado battles you could make arguments supporting either driver but I think the difference is that Grosjean made a mistake to let Maldonado ahead while Perez got ahead of Hulk largely via the timing of the safety car and having fresh tyres.

#6 ottostreet

ottostreet

• 19 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 16:22

A good read as usual, some tough calls this time out. Hulk/Perez and Grosjean/Maldonado battles you could make arguments supporting either driver but I think the difference is that Grosjean made a mistake to let Maldonado ahead while Perez got ahead of Hulk largely via the timing of the safety car and having fresh tyres.

Exactly, I sometimes am unsure of how to treat a race that is turned on its head by the safety car. Does a driver that was thoroughly beaten before the safety car but better afterwards really deserve to be viewed as the better driver on the day? Or do you just have to accept a safety car as a possible contingency always, even if its appearance is completely down to luck? Perez drove well, but basically lucked into his position by circumstances. 

#7 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 16:49

Exactly, I sometimes am unsure of how to treat a race that is turned on its head by the safety car. Does a driver that was thoroughly beaten before the safety car but better afterwards really deserve to be viewed as the better driver on the day? Or do you just have to accept a safety car as a possible contingency always, even if its appearance is completely down to luck? Perez drove well, but basically lucked into his position by circumstances. 

What is the consistency of your position?  Did you award Rosberg, Bottas and Vettel as the better drivers in Hungary on that basis?  You make a good point - a very good one, imo - but inconsistency would take it out of the realm of a general philosophy and relegate it to convenient reasoning in support a particular viewpoint.

#8 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 00:46

This is unfair because at least with SFI it matters who ended in better position the race not whom seem to appear to have beaten the other before the safety car in the end who get the better position is all that matters. :down:

But anyone can see how it finished, anytime they like. That often doesn't tell the whole story and it's good see someone trying an objective and transparent way of viewing the weekend based on more than the classification sheet.

#9 DESCHAIN

DESCHAIN

• 190 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:07

Ottostreet, how do you award the "fastest lap" point?

#10 ottostreet

ottostreet

• 19 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:03

Ottostreet, how do you award the "fastest lap" point?

Simply whoever sets the faster race lap. No circumstances taken into account, no retirements, just simply whoever shows greatest raw pace over one racing lap. There's so little weighting to it (1 point out of a total of 9 for the weekend) so I don't worry too much about how the time is achieved!

#11 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:50

Yeah I agree that this may be a little harsh on Perez to give the win to Hulk. He did race well and he finished ahead. I'm not sure who would have finished ahead if there was no luck involved.