Photo

Engine Startup - Heads-Up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nev

Nev

• 293 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 14:29

Many of you TNFers have been supportive and interested in my project over the last few years so I thought I'd add an invitation to the first public engine start-up here in this forum.

Do you think those race-ready GT40s are shaking in their boots?  :p

http://www.xj13.eu/X.../It-Lives!.aspx

Advertisement

#2 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 14:42

Please post a video or at least an audio clip if you can.  I would love to hear that wail!  I've always considered the XJ13 to be one of the most dramatically  beautiful race cars ever built.

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 17:57

Just got back from an incredible day out thanks to the wonderful entertainment and hospitality provided by Neville and Lizzie Swales. Arttidesco and I were privileged to hear Neville’s original four-cam Jaguar V12 fire up, and what a great noise it made. We also got to see the current state of progress of the XJ13 chassis and bodywork, and meet some of the Jaguar people who were involved with the project in the sixties, including Peter Wilson who has written the definitive history of the XJ13 project, and Jonathan Heynes, son of Sir William, who worked at Jaguar and Coventry Climax in the period.

Neville and Lizzie also treated us to lashings of fine food and drink, and also gave everyone who attended a bottle of locally-brewed ale, which I’m looking forward to sampling. Thank you so much Neville and Lizzie, it was great to meet you and all the other like-minded enthusiasts who came along. Now we look forward to the first run of the completed car.

#4 Nev

Nev

• 293 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 15:17

Thanks for the kind words Tim. It was a pleasure to meet with you and Arttidesco. Glad to see you both arrived home safely and thanks so much for sharing this first milestone with me.

We are still collecting empty glasses and half-eaten sausage rolls but the memories of having so many friends, fellow-enthusiasts and ex-Jaguar people helping me share the event will live with me for years to come :)

For me the thing which really crowned the day was the realisation that Jim Eastick started Jaguar's No.1 engine in 1964 for the first time, in the presence of William Heynes - yesterday, 50 years later,  Jim repeated the exercise with Jaguar's No.2 engine in the presence of Jonathan - William Heynes' grandson.

Video and pics to follow. ...

For now, you may want to hear a sound clip of the engine from yesterday.

Edited by Nev, 31 October 2014 - 15:46.

#5 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 17:47

Like to echo Tim's thanks to Neville and Lizzie, my i-phone microphone was on the blink but here is a little of what transpired when the mighty DOHC V12 bust into life.

I believe the starter failed to disengage hence some rather untoward screeching.

#6 Nev

Nev

• 293 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 17:55

I believe the starter failed to disengage hence some rather untoward screeching.

Yes it did stick.

I have had nothing but trouble with that particular brand of starter (better not name and shame them here ...). Rest assured they will be going back in a big box along with a tub of grease. The grease is so it doesn't hurt so much when they stuff them up their a***e :evil:

Edited by Nev, 31 October 2014 - 18:08.

#7 Nev

Nev

• 293 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:23

Sound is a bit clearer here ...

Edited by Nev, 04 November 2014 - 10:24.

#8 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 13:02

Nev, the clock on your wall stopped!

And I trust it's difficult to wipe that smile off your face these days, isn't it? Congrats.

#9 Nev

Nev

• 293 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 18:18

I'm still smiling Michael ... :)

Finally got my a**e into gear and published a full video of the event.

WARNING: May contain nuts, flashing images and lurking TNFers.

http://www.xj13.eu/X...-the-Event.aspx

#10 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 15:53

Good on you... :up:

#11 Hank the Deuce

Hank the Deuce

• 286 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:58

Hahahahaha, outstanding!! I'm surprised that your smile isn't even broader, although it'd split your head if it was!  Glorious!!