Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

F1 grid will be shaken up as Alonso is set to jump ship Ferrari

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Poll: F1 grid will be shaken up as Alonso is set to jump ship Ferrari (230 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will replace Fernando Alonso at Ferrari?

1. Jules Bianchi (102 votes [44.35%])

Percentage of vote: 44.35%

2. Lewis Hamilton (10 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

3. Sebastian Vettel (84 votes [36.52%])

Percentage of vote: 36.52%

4. Nico Hülkenberg (22 votes [9.57%])

Percentage of vote: 9.57%

5. Another driver (12 votes [5.22%])

Percentage of vote: 5.22%

Who will partner Fernando at McLaren?

1. Jenson Button (103 votes [44.78%])

Percentage of vote: 44.78%

2. Kevin Magnussen (100 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

3. Sebastian Vettel (9 votes [3.91%])

Percentage of vote: 3.91%

4. Another driver (18 votes [7.83%])

Percentage of vote: 7.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MotorsportFerrari

MotorsportFerrari

• 215 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 20:31

As a fan of Fernando and Ferrari, I am so so sorry to see their relationship ending with tear and without titles. Alonso is arguably the best driver on the grid, he should have won in 2010 and 2012. In both years RB has a superior car to Ferrari and Alonso outperformed his own car and the actual champion Vettel.

I have a feeling Alonso won't win any titles at McLaren cos Mercedes and RB would lead the field for the next couple of years before Fernando's retirement from F1.

Advertisement

#2 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 20:42

Voted Vettel in both polls. Plus, he will also stay at RB.

#3 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,274 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 20:43

Your title makes me think you've read to many tabloids.

Jp

#4 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 21:01

As a fan of Fernando and Ferrari, I am so so sorry to see their relationship ending with tear and without titles. Alonso is arguably the best driver on the grid, he should have won in 2010 and 2012. In both years RB has a superior car to Ferrari and Alonso outperformed his own car and the actual champion Vettel.

I have a feeling Alonso won't win any titles at McLaren cos Mercedes and RB would lead the field for the next couple of years before Fernando's retirement from F1.

Alonso did not outperform Vettel in 2010 and 2012; let's just put that myth to rest here. 

I also don't agree that Ferrari was Alonso's last chance for a title.  I believe that Macca will have a competitive car with the Honda engine, if not the first season, then shortly after that.  He will definitely be able to compete in the future with them, imo, because they are too experienced and have far too many good people and money to fail for a long period of time.   Ferrari is a bigger risk, imo.

I voted Vettel in the first pole and Button in the second.

#5 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 21:04

Alonso did not outperform Vettel in 2010 and 2012; let's just put that myth to rest here. 

Opinions are myths now?

Anyway if the move takes place for 2015, I think Bianchi will take Alonso's seat at Ferrari. 

Whilst, Button will welcome Alonso at McLaren.

#6 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 21:06

Bianchi will take his place. 

Vettel and Hamilton have contracts and their situations within their teams aren't as bad as Fernando's in Ferrari to terminate them. 

As for who will partner Fernando...well it's either K-Mag or JB but I vote for the latter since it's more interesting. 

#7 MotorsportFerrari

MotorsportFerrari

• 215 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 21:23

Your title makes me think you've read to many tabloids.

Jp

I would be the happiest man in the world if you were right.

#8 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

• 701 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 21:39

It's debatable.

Who will replace him? I will be surprised if it's Bianchi, he seems to be good yes, but a bit unexperienced for the Ferrari standard. Seb Vettel seems like the guy to do it, he's been with RB for a long while and things haven't been smooth this year and I doubt Renault will beat Merc or Ferrari in future years, regarding the PU. Hamilton @ Ferrari? Never lol! And why would he anyways? He's in the best team at the moment!

@ McLaren, I'd say Button (for the experience only). He is good, but not great. However, Magnussen failed to live up to expectations imo, at least so far. The battle seems to be going down to the wire for the second seat! I can't see McLaren deciding before Abu Dhabi.

Edited by Heisenberg, 02 October 2014 - 21:41.

#9 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

• 701 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 21:46

Bianchi will take his place. 

Vettel and Hamilton have contracts and their situations within their teams aren't as bad as Fernando's in Ferrari to terminate them. 

As for who will partner Fernando...well it's either K-Mag or JB but I vote for the latter since it's more interesting. 

I would say that Hamilton's is not bad at all, I mean come he's fighting for the title and it's not like those DNFs were the team trying to "Stop"him from winning (LOL!)!

#10 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 22:27

Opinions are myths now?

Anyway if the move takes place for 2015, I think Bianchi will take Alonso's seat at Ferrari. 

My opinion is that Alonso will grab #1 status in the team given that Honda would have pumped an extra 30 mil.. This rules out Button as his team-mate. K-Mag could be an option but I have a feeling we would see a relatively easy pairing for Alonso once again  ;)

#11 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 22:35

Opinions are myths now?

I meant in the sense, 'stop it now' before we have yet another myth.  If stealing glory from the competitor is necessary in order for him to bask in any,  then his greatness needs a rethink, imo.  Surely he has actual achievements that merit praise?   Imaginary achievements based on circumstances being different is naught more than false praise, imo.

I agree Bianchi sounds reasonable if they can't get a big name in the seat for 2015.

Edited by bourbon, 02 October 2014 - 22:39.

#12 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 22:45

[Alonso] should have won in 2010 and 2012. In both years RB has a superior car to Ferrari and Alonso outperformed his own car and the actual champion Vettel.

Now I'm a massive fan of Alonso and can't stand Vettel, but that's just a stupid thing to say.

#13 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 22:47

It looks like Bianchi could be the interim solution at Ferrari unless they can buy some star out of their lucrative contract from another team.

However, McLaren. I can't decide and solution could be someone out of the blue as well, i.e Grosjean.

#14 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:07

I meant in the sense, 'stop it now' before we have yet another myth. If stealing glory from the competitor is necessary in order for him to bask in any, then his greatness needs a rethink, imo. Surely he has actual achievements that merit praise? Imaginary achievements based on circumstances being different is naught more than false praise, imo.

I agree Bianchi sounds reasonable if they can't get a big name in the seat for 2015.

Why stop it? Lol..
That opinion is not just any opinion .. It was also the opinion of the team bosses who voted Alonso as best driver in both 2010 & 2012.

#15 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:34

Why stop it? Lol..
That opinion is not just any opinion .. It was also the opinion of the team bosses who voted Alonso as best driver in both 2010 & 2012.

Alonso doesn't agree  (SCROLL TO THE VIDEO MID PAGE - Vettel and Alonso describe one another on and off track)

I think the opinion of the drivers, teams and paddock in general is not always mirrored by fans, journos and pundits. 

In any case, I don't think that Alonso's move will shake the grid up too much until 2016, but I could be wrong.

Edited by bourbon, 03 October 2014 - 04:39.

#16 RustyRuss

RustyRuss

• 238 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:34

Nah, next year when Lewis & Vettel are available maybe but this year it's E-Z, Kimi & Bianchi @ Ferrari,  Fred & K Mag @ MacHonda.

#17 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:11

Alonso.... he should have won in 2010 and 2012. In both years RB has a superior car to Ferrari and Alonso outperformed his own car and the actual champion Vettel.

Could say the same for ricciardo & the merc boys this year, but it doesn't work like that.

I can see Mclaren being Alo/Gro next year.

Ferrari Rai/Bia then Vet/Bia in 2016.

Edited by lbennie, 03 October 2014 - 05:13.

#18 loki0420

loki0420

• 997 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:08

well

La Gazzetta: Fernando Alonso is out of Ferrari and will be replaced by Vettel in 2015. Close to official news. #F1 #Formula1

#19 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:11

Wow....this pitlane Twitter account sure knows how to grab attention

Advertisement

#20 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:26

Nah, next year when Lewis & Vettel are available maybe but this year it's E-Z, Kimi & Bianchi @ Ferrari,  Fred & K Mag @ MacHonda.

Fred,Lewis and Vettel are all under contract at their current teams for next year.

#21 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:31

It's a funny time of year.

#22 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:35

Alonso doesn't agree  (SCROLL TO THE VIDEO MID PAGE - Vettel and Alonso describe one another on and off track)

I think the opinion of the drivers, teams and paddock in general is not always mirrored by fans, journos and pundits. 

In any case, I don't think that Alonso's move will shake the grid up too much until 2016, but I could be wrong.

Actually IIRC the opinion was mirrored by practically everyone in 2012. In 2010 however many thought Hamilton had a better season than either.

#23 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,345 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:39

La Marca also says Alonso out, by mutual agreement.

Turrini also says he is out.

Edited by AlexS, 03 October 2014 - 07:42.

#24 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:58

Actually IIRC the opinion was mirrored by practically everyone in 2012. In 2010 however many thought Hamilton had a better season than either.

Actually, some did, but most didn't.  Any driver that wins fair and square on the year did the best job and most fans recognize that.   Non-English speaking fans make up a large amount of the fan base although their voices are not often heard in English.

But we diverge from the topic.  I just think Vettel will stay at RBR 1 more season - maybe not, but why wouldn't he?  Alonso will probably go to Merc, but he is just as likely to stay at Ferrari, despite all the hullabaloo.

#25 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:29

Actually, some did, but most didn't.  Any driver that wins fair and square on the year did the best job and most fans recognize that. 

Any driver/team combination that wins fair and square on the year did the best job. That's all we know and recognize. Assessing drivers alone is a whole different story. But if you disagree with someone saying 'Fernando was better than Sebastian then and then', by saying 'he did not, let's put that myth to rest' then your reply isn't any better, you're just trying to make it sound better. Because you always have the success to lean on. But that means less than you think.

#26 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:32

Actually, some did, but most didn't.  Any driver that wins fair and square on the year did the best job and most fans recognize that.   Non-English speaking fans make up a large amount of the fan base although their voices are not often heard in English.

But we diverge from the topic.  I just think Vettel will stay at RBR 1 more season - maybe not, but why wouldn't he?

He knows he can beat Raikkonen but not Ricciardo?  Either way it is a very bad look for Vettel to abandon a team that made him WDC four times after just one season as the second best win-capable car.  :eek:

#27 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:36

He knows he can beat Raikkonen but not Ricciardo?  Either way it is a very bad look for Vettel to abandon a team that made him WDC four times after just one season as the second best win-capable car.  :eek:

Next year we'll have Vettel is the most 'overrated' champion being shouted even more. Beating an iceberg isn't really going to do him much, questions will still be asked as they were when Webber was around. 

What a world Formula 1 is, aye. 

#28 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,578 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:41

I'm not Vettel's biggest fan but I don't agree with this thought process.

If Vettel ends up at Ferrari it will be for the long haul and should the partnership succeed it will mean way more than a single season beating.

#29 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 14:06

If Alonso leaves us, I hope we get Vettel.

But that seems unlikely unless Alonso is going to RBR.

#30 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 14:16

Nobody interested in Ron's imminent booting as team boss?

#31 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 14:20

I think taking on Raikkonen at Ferrari is enough to cover up how this actually looks like (like he's running away from Ricciardo). 

Then again, Raikkonen's reputation has hit rock bottom after this season so who knows if critics even consider him as challenging as Ricciardo in the first place. 

#32 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 14:34

I think "Alonso jumping ship" is a little misleading, from the sounds of it he is being made to walk the plank.

#33 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 14:36

For the average public, drivers are the stars. Who cares about the managers. :p

#34 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 15:05

For the average public, drivers are the stars. Who cares about the managers. :p

Me. This year the politics behind the scene seem to be driving the silly season. The intrigue at Ferrari, behind the scenes at Mercedes, the Ron Dennis situation, and all the speculation about who was signed to what kind of contract, are making determining who goes where much more difficult. The silly season has escalated to the "Completely Ridiculous Season", and we still have 5 races left and two championships to be decided. The drivers are still the stars for me, but this year management has become a very visible component of the F1 Circus.

#35 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,578 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 15:16

I think "Alonso jumping ship" is a little misleading, from the sounds of it he is being made to walk the plank.

He's not being made to walk the plank.

I get the impression that they both would like to continue together but they've come to a cross road with regard to their respective short term goals.

There is nothing wrong with that.

#36 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 15:22

He's not being made to walk the plank.

I get the impression that they both would like to continue together but they've come to a cross road with regard to their respective short term goals.

There is nothing wrong with that.

I'm glad you KNOW that ^, I don't. Everything I have read from the Alonso camp indicates he is happy at Ferrari and just wants a better car. Everything I have read from the new management team SEEMS to indictae that they are looking for a change and letting go of a driver that seems to have to strong a presence within the team is necessary. That's how I see it, you see it different. There is nothing wrong with that.

#37 JimiKart

JimiKart

• 457 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 16:06

yup, I bet Honda want alonso more than they want Dennis so I hope Dennis is gone and Fred works well with Honda.

#38 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 16:15

I would think the most straightforward guess of the 2015 grid (assuming 3 car teams don't shake everything up) would be:  

Merc: Ham / Ros (No reason for these guys to move and there is not half the bun fight inside the team that the world wants there to be)

RBR: Ric / Kvy (I'm certain RBR will promote from within, especially with the success of Vettel & Ricardo under this policy)

Ferrari: Vet / Kim (Unless they boot Kimi into touch for Bianchi, clean sheet of paper style)

McLaren: Alo / But (Think if Alonso signs on a 3 year deal, gambling with Mag would be a pointless exercise, so Button retained for experience)

#39 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 16:18

I think taking on Raikkonen at Ferrari is enough to cover up how this actually looks like (like he's running away from Ricciardo). 

I'm not so sure about that.

Advertisement

#40 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 16:21

I'm not Vettel's biggest fan but I don't agree with this thought process.

If Vettel ends up at Ferrari it will be for the long haul and should the partnership succeed it will mean way more than a single season beating.

Vettel haters out in spades!  :rotfl:

God I hope for Kimi-Vettel at Ferrari if Alonso really is out!  Two of my favorite drivers in the same team?   :love:

#41 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 16:22

I think a lot of people are underestimating Ferrari. They might not be at the front of the grid right now, but they are FERRARI. There will be no "gap years" at Ferrari whilst they wait to fill the seat. If Alonso vacates, the seat will be taken straight away by their preferred option. Those with the power will see to it. 

#42 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 16:22

Red Bull will be the car to beat next year, with Renault becoming a works engine for them, so easy RIC WDC 2015... place your bets.

edit: or ALO if he goes RB

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 03 October 2014 - 16:22.

#43 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 16:23

yup, I bet Honda want alonso more than they want Dennis so I hope Dennis is gone and Fred works well with Honda.

Everything I heard in the FP2 broadcast was that Mclaren has rubbished the rumors of Berger joining, Ron will continue as the boss.   :wave:

#44 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 17:47

Red Bull will be the car to beat next year, with Renault becoming a works engine for them, so easy RIC WDC 2015... place your bets.

edit: or ALO if he goes RB

Renault was a works engine for them this year, having been in development exclusively with RBR since 2011...  it'll take a hell of a lot of money to catch up to Mercedes, and we don't know how much Honda has put into their program.

#45 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 18:35

Everything I heard in the FP2 broadcast was that Mclaren has rubbished the rumors of Berger joining, Ron will continue as the boss.   :wave:

Yeah, Berger is a bizarre rumour, what's on his CV that would make him a good idea?

#46 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 18:39

Renault was a works engine for them this year, having been in development exclusively with RBR since 2011...  it'll take a hell of a lot of money to catch up to Mercedes, and we don't know how much Honda has put into their program.

Actually they were doing separate development work for Lotus as well.

#47 naiboz

naiboz

• 483 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 19:00

I suspect Alonso's going to end up being remembered as a truly amazing driver, who for some reason keeps leaving/joining teams at the wrong time

:cry:

#48 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 19:03

Bianchi should take his place as eddie said about ricardo why spend $$$ and then tos them on the heap 

Edited by iii, 03 October 2014 - 19:03.

#49 Fox1

Fox1

• 713 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 19:53

I would think the most straightforward guess of the 2015 grid (assuming 3 car teams don't shake everything up) would be:  

Merc: Ham / Ros (No reason for these guys to move and there is not half the bun fight inside the team that the world wants there to be)

RBR: Ric / Kvy (I'm certain RBR will promote from within, especially with the success of Vettel & Ricardo under this policy)

Ferrari: Vet / Kim (Unless they boot Kimi into touch for Bianchi, clean sheet of paper style)

McLaren: Alo / But (Think if Alonso signs on a 3 year deal, gambling with Mag would be a pointless exercise, so Button retained for experience)

I just don't think that Jenson can survive in a team with Fernando.  Fernando got "burned" the first time he went to McLaren.  If he goes back, I'm willing to bet that there will be a clause or two in his contract that will define who the "boss" really is.

#50 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 20:00

The three car team option IMHO is a real factor to the driver market. Alonso or others then could go to a top team hence why he may have not signed a new deal, and you could same the same for others.

Alonso in a third merc I would love to see and would be a top wdc challenger 

Edited by iii, 03 October 2014 - 20:04.