* * - - - 6 votes

Hamilton's deleted tweets - part so much

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
214 replies to this topic

#1 LeMans86

LeMans86

• 213 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:44

I'm not on the board so much, but can't find it having been discussed already. Hamilton sure know how to social media, even after all these years.

Lewis Hamilton has sparked outrage after posting a clip of himself driving a supercar on a public road at high speed.

The F1 star shared the video via Twitter, with the message: "Launch Control!! This is one of my babies, I love driving this car. Guess the car?! #0-100 #realquick #boss”".

The car was reportedly a Pagani Zonda - an Italian supercar capable of doing 0-60mph in under three and a half seconds

The video didn't impress many fans on social media, however, with many crticising the star for his "irresposible behaviour", and suggesting that he auction off memorabilia for a road safety charity - despite the fact that there is no suggestion that Hamilton broke the law with his driving on a road in Monaco.

No doubt feeling that pressure, Hamilton deleted the Tweet soon after the original post went up. But not before thousands of fans across the world had already shared the video and the message...

video:

https://uk.eurosport...-093558983.html

Advertisement

#2 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:49

The video didn't impress many fans on social media, however, with many crticising the star for his "irresposible behaviour", and suggesting that he auction off memorabilia for a road safety charity - despite the fact that there is no suggestion that Hamilton broke the law with his driving on a road in Monaco.

Bolding mine.

#3 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,578 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:50

Let people do what they like in their personal time. I swear we live in an overbearing society where some are all too eager to take the moral high-ground.

On a more light note. Hamilton once again driving with an extra button on his steering. "Delete Tweet"

#4 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:54

Let people do what they like in their personal time. 

What? Hooning is not legal. Doing a full power launch up to 100 km/h in a road with crosswalks is certainly not legal.

If he feels like enjoying his road cars, he should go to a track, he has the money and the cars needed to have a great time without the need to jeopardize other people wellbeing.

#5 Nigol

Nigol

• 2,744 posts

UNACCEPTABLE.

#6 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Great news story snory  :yawnface:

#7 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:55

Though I do not support breaching speed limits on public roads, I think that the 'this is outrageious' crew should mind their own. We have law enforment for that stuff, and isn't life too short to be complaining on the internet?

Edited by ollebompa, 03 October 2014 - 11:58.

#8 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:56

I'm trying so hard to like Hamilton, but I just can't when he commits these horrible despicable acts.

#9 Masteroftheuniverse

Masteroftheuniverse

• 252 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:56

As long as he didn't harm anyone, it's fine in my book. Boys will be boys. 

#10 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:57

I doubt that any moaning about this are fans of Hamilton, or even racing. Just people actively looking for something to complain about when there are many other antics on the road worse than this, let alone other causes in the world. Hamilton didn't seem to break the speed limit, he was on a straight bit of road and you can see he waits for the car travelling from the opposite direction before spinning the tyres up a little. There's a world of difference between this and the boy racer on the council estate with parked cars everywhere and kids potentially around the next corner.

Yes, it's a bit antisocial, but so were a lot of the antics from motorsports previous decades that some like to look at through rose tinted spectacles. Berger would get on boats in Monaco with all the sponsors etc there, find the bag or box with all their shoes and things, and throw it off the boat! And that's just one of the stories, Ramirez said "he was an animal, he had no limits." What Hamilton did here is positively tame by comparison.

Obviously with Bernie's campaign and general sponsor concerns, perhaps it wasn't a good idea to put it online, not the first time he's made an ill advised comment or post on social media, but I think suggestions he should auction off the car to a road safety charity or something is just bananas.

#11 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:57

'Do you know why I've stopped you?

Who do you think you are sir, Lewis Hamilton?'

Edited by trogggy, 03 October 2014 - 11:58.

#12 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:58

I definitely think this a thread where the moral outrage has the potential to reach full speed in well under 2.5 pages and break all sorts of rules of the internet on the way.  Mind the children.

#13 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:58

Will someone please think of the children.

#14 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:01

The car isn't a Pagani Zonda, it's a Ferrari 599 GTO. Hamilton to Ferrari rumours right there  :p

#15 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:02

Will someone please think of the children.

I tell myself that's the reason I never manage to get within 3 feet of a female.

Edited by ollebompa, 03 October 2014 - 12:04.

#16 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:03

He's already had his car impounded in Australia a few years back for dangerous driving, when will he learn? If the FIA don't take action and revoke his super license for bringing their road safety campaign into disrepute then it's clear they favour him over Rosberg and are setting him up to win the title. Formula Farce. I won't be watching F1 any more.

#17 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Hamilton didn't seem to break the speed limit, he was on a straight bit of road and you can see he waits for the car travelling from the opposite direction before spinning the tyres up a little. 

My 110 HP diesel car does 85 km/h in second gear if I rev it up. Lewis engaged 3rd gear after fully squeezing 1st and 2nd, and kept his foot down a bit more... in a supercar. That´s what, 100-110 km/h? In a road with crosswalks. 

#18 windoesnot

windoesnot

• 132 posts

No doubt those who feel they have the right to be offended by anything and everything will be offended by this.

In other news, I just farted, hope that doesnt offend anyone!  ;)

Also, if say Marcus Ericcson did this, would anyone care? I doubt it.

Edited by windoesnot, 03 October 2014 - 12:04.

#19 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:05

Having just come back from a trip to Germany including plenty of hours on their autobahns HAM's youtube video is tame in comparison

Advertisement

#20 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:06

See these? Yep..... You guessed it..... They died when Hamilton put his foot down.

Bastard.

512kittensslide.jpg

Edited by maverick69, 03 October 2014 - 12:06.

#21 LeMans86

LeMans86

• 213 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:06

What? Hooning is not legal. Doing a full power launch up to 100 km/h in a road with crosswalks is certainly not legal.

If he feels like enjoying his road cars, he should go to a track, he has the money and the cars needed to have a great time without the need to jeopardize other people wellbeing.

Looking at the acceleration time, it was more likely 0-100mph, so 160km/h. Otherwise it wouldn't take 6 seconds in that car

Edited by LeMans86, 03 October 2014 - 12:12.

#22 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:07

In words of the immortal Sam L. Jackson:

"Waste the motha...a"

#23 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

#24 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

He's already had his car impounded in Australia a few years back for dangerous driving, when will he learn? If the FIA don't take action and revoke his super license for bringing their road safety campaign into disrepute then it's clear they favour him over Rosberg and are setting him up to win the title. Formula Farce. I won't be watching F1 any more.

:lol:

#25 LeMans86

LeMans86

• 213 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:08

As long as he didn't harm anyone, it's fine in my book. Boys will be boys.

Sure, but posting it on twitter to 'brag' about it while being a 'road safety'-ambassador is something else.

It's not about that he does it (we all know they do and I did it 2 weeks ago as well, completely empty, deserted road, bit slower car though), but that he posts it on his twitter.

Edited by LeMans86, 03 October 2014 - 12:11.

#26 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:10

Looking at the acceleration time, it was more likely 0-100mph, so 160km/h. Otherwise it would take 6 seconds in that car

To be fair I have no clue what the gearing on that beast is, so my guess might be conservative... 100 km/h is bad enough, it´s a felony in my country to do that speed in a zone with crosswalks, and you´re basically comitting to an action that will kill anyone that decides to cross the road hoping these lights coming will behave like they should and stop.

I say, wanna have fun? Go to a stupid track.

#27 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,751 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:10

Off with his head.

P.S. We do need more telemetry tweets though. Now that was fun.

Edited by Diablobb81, 03 October 2014 - 12:12.

#28 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,815 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:12

despite the fact that there is no suggestion that Hamilton broke the law with his driving on a road in Monaco.

Then what's the big fricking deal, then?

#29 Masteroftheuniverse

Masteroftheuniverse

• 252 posts

Sure, but posting it on twitter to 'brag' about it while being a 'road safety'-ambassador is something else.

It's not about that he does it (we all know they do and I did it 2 weeks ago as well, completely empty, deserted road, bit slower car though), but that he posts it on his twitter.

He was very safe, he didn't crash   ;)

#30 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

To be fair I have no clue what the gearing on that beast is, so my guess might be conservative... 100 km/h is bad enough, it´s a felony in my country to do that speed in a zone with crosswalks, and you´re basically comitting to an action that will kill anyone that decides to cross the road hoping these lights coming will behave like they should and stop.

I thought the Las Vegas carpark wasn't on the calender any nowerdays?

#31 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Are there even any cars in Monaco that are capable of doing 0-60 in over 4 seconds?

#32 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,102 posts

That does it. I used to be a Hamilton fan, but this... NO MORE! This is much more important than the Ebola outbreak, or Syria, or the Ukraine, or Iraq, or Global warming. I'm going to offended on behalf of some people in Monaco who may have seen this but not may not have done, and may or may not have cared.

#33 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:13

Sorry, what Hamilton did here isn't half as dangerous...I even hesitate to call it dangerous, compared to antics of other drivers on the public roads even as recently as the 90s (Jean Alesi's mad dash from Monza anyone?). Taking away Hamilton's super licence for this would look like inteference to the favour of Rosberg, given examples of years past, not least Schumacher keeping his super licence after Jerez.

Maybe I've been away from England for too long and have become too accustomed to living with South Korean road users that do great impressions of homicidal maniacs, as I wrote earlier I think there's a world of difference between this and genuinely dangerous driving. Doesn't mean Hamilton is in the right, but taking away his licence? Give me strength.

Edited by hittheapex, 03 October 2014 - 12:14.

#34 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

I thought the Las Vegas carpark wasn't on the calender any nowerdays?

I was thinking of Formula E track actually

#35 Nigol

Nigol

• 2,744 posts

'Do you know why I've stopped you?

Who do you think you are sir, Lewis Hamilton?'

Cause I'm young, and im black, and my hats real low?

#36 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:14

I was thinking of Formula E track actually

Lol. Good one!

#37 LeMans86

LeMans86

• 213 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:15

Then what's the big fricking deal, then?

No suggestion doesn't mean he didn't. He accelerates for about 6 seconds, full throttle, in a car that does 0-60mph/100kmh in 3.5 seconds. So he probably reached around 100mph/160kmh (the tweet also stated "0-100"). This is very likely breaking a law.
Besides that, Hamilton as a Formula 1 driver is a "road safety"-ambassador. He simply shouldn't post stuff like this on his twitter.

#38 OO7

OO7

• 23,408 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:16

Sorry, what Hamilton did here isn't half as dangerous...I even hesitate to call it dangerous, compared to antics of other drivers on the public roads even as recently as the 90s (Jean Alesi's mad dash from Monza anyone?). Taking away Hamilton's super licence for this would look like inteference to the favour of Rosberg, given examples of years past, not least Schumacher keeping his super licence after Jerez.

Maybe I've been away from England for too long and have become too accustomed to living with South Korean road users that do great impressions of homicidal maniacs, as I wrote earlier I think there's a world of difference between this and genuinely dangerous driving. Doesn't mean Hamilton is in the right, but taking away his licence? Give me strength.

0003470006412_500X500.jpg

#39 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

This thread right here.  This is the stupid track.

Advertisement

#40 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

I was definitely joking

#41 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:19

No suggestion doesn't mean he didn't.

In fact, it´s REALLY hard to say he did NOT break laws.

There are crosswalks. There are no traffic lights. That combo can only be found in roads with low speed limits. Then we have the car capabilities, and the time full power. We also have the gear and rev range he was doing when he lifted.

A reasonable guess is that he was in a 50-60 km/h road doing at least 110 km/h (much more in case he nailed the start considering the car capabilities). I repeat, not only that´s breaking the law and getting an administrative punishment, that´s in the felony range.

#42 OO7

OO7

• 23,408 posts

I was definitely joking

RedBaron        Others

-------------        ---------

1          -         0

#43 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

This thread right here.  This is the stupid track.

Well now, where´s the fun?

#44 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Cause I'm young, and im black, and my hats real low?

Aren't you sharp as a tack.

#45 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:21

The other deleted tweets.

This stuff's ridiculous.

These drivers are absolutely fricking ridiculous, it’s stupid.

You get done for trying to put on a show.

If I really feel... I'll put my hand up and say I've been the stupid one.

Maybe it's cos I is black?

I'll just try and keep my mouth shut.

On a serious note it's all fun and games until he does a Paul Walker. He has amazing car control even in sedans or supercars but at the end of a day it's a public road and not cool *to post to twitter.

Edited by slideways, 03 October 2014 - 12:23.

#46 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:23

I was expecting worse. Stopping on the road and performing a hard launch isn't 'safe driving', but eh, that wasn't bad at all. He even slowed down before they approached another car.

If this was some dumb kid or something, I might find some minute amount of outrage, but he's an F1 driver, for god's sake. He knows what he's doing.

#47 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:23

TBH its a storm in a teacup

#48 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,296 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:24

What he did was very tame.  I'd do much worse if I had the money to buy one of those puppies.

#49 Sash1

Sash1

• 1,299 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:25

I would really love to complain, but because I regularly hit 295km/h on a 130max road I won't. 

#50 OO7

OO7

• 23,408 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:25

I was expecting worse. Stopping on the road and performing a hard launch isn't 'safe driving', but eh, that wasn't bad at all. He even slowed down before they approached another car.

If this was some dumb kid or something, I might find some minute amount of outrage, but he's an F1 driver, for god's sake. Leave him alone, He knows what he's doing.

Is that what you meant?