Photo

Sunbeams at Brands, Guards 1000 1965

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 13:09

There is currently discussion on another forum regarding the Sunbeams which raced in the Guards 1000 at Brands Hatch in 1965. There  seems to have been a Sunbeam Tiger and 2 Alpines one of the Alpines driven by someone called Sargent. It was conjectured that this was Peter Sargent, but I would think this unlikely. Martin Krejci's website has Mo Nunn and "Brown" finishing 6th. in the Tiger and Bill Nicholson in one of the Alpines but no mention of a second Alpine or a Sargent. Has anyone any idea who the drivers were? Many thanks in advance.

Advertisement

#2 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,507 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 14:37

Motoring News says it was A L Sargent, driving with Mac Daghorn.  Apparently their car lost a wheel on both days of the race.  There was a Tony Sargent around that year.

#3 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 369 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 14:49

The "Brown" could well be Peter Brown who was also driving for Alan Fraser that year in the Hillman Imp, and I would love to see a race programme but I thought that Alastair Crawford and AN Other shared a Jaguar E Type and were also entered by Fraser.

Glyn

Edited by glyn parham, 03 October 2014 - 14:49.

#4 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 15:55

Thanks for the response.

#5 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 17:09

The original race-day programme has Peter Brown/Mo Nunn in a Tiger, John Nicholson/N.McNab Alpine and Tony Sargeant/Mac Daghorn Alpine.

I have the Autosport report somewhere which I will try to find to see if it indicates if all three cars started.

#6 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 17:41

This unedited but nice quality Pathe video shows the entire field, so if your eyesight is good enough you might be able to identify the Tigers/Alpines that started. Sadly, no soundtrack

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uVQyAI4eyKQ

#7 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 17:42

I am pretty sure I could see three Sunbeams at Paddock on that opening lap.

#8 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 22:37

Thanks for the information, all three sunbeams did start, the Tiger was 6th. the Nicholson/McNab Alpine was 13th. I was surprised to see "Bill Nicholson" listed as a driver on the other forum, I assume this is a different Nicholson.

Is it just me or did the pitwork seem incredibly slow? 

#9 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:00

Thanks for the information, all three sunbeams did start, the Tiger was 6th. the Nicholson/McNab Alpine was 13th. I was surprised to see "Bill Nicholson" listed as a driver on the other forum, I assume this is a different Nicholson.

Is it just me or did the pitwork seem incredibly slow? 

John NIcholson raced under the Farnborough Racing banner . He also appeared in a Lotus Cortina that season. Bill Nicholson was of course, at the time, well known for his exploits in his MG"B".

By today's standards the pitwork was very leisurely, although as an event entailing a 1,000 miles of racing the sense of urgency probably wasn't quite what it would have been had it been a "sprint" race.