Vettel leaves Red Bull, Kvyat takes over

• Please log in to reply
704 replies to this topic

#1 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 00:59

Source: various tweets

1. Breaking news: Sebastian Vettel set for Ferrari as Red Bull confirms he is leaving at end of season

"We want to warmly thank Sebastian for the incredible role he has played at Infiniti Red Bull Racing for the last six years."

Red Bull announces that Sebatian Vettel will leave the team for next season. Daniil Kvyat takes his place

"Sebastian Vettel has advised us that he will be leaving Infiniti Red Bull Racing at the end of the 2014 season..." statement reads.

Kvyat and Ricciardo confirmed at Red Bull Racing for 2015. Vettel will leave the team at end of 2014, team confirms.

Woah there. Everything's all set then, all dominoes fall into place. Vettel surely to Ferrari, Alonso surely to McLaren. And Carlos Sainz Jr likes this.

Advertisement

#2 RedKloud

RedKloud

• 108 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:00

So basically ALO > McLaren, VET > Ferrari.... who will partner ALO at McLaren? I think BUT

#3 KavB

KavB

• 1,593 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:01

Wow, I honestly did not expect this to happen. 

I hope Kyvat is up for the task rather than being at the right place at the right time.

#4 jcpower13

jcpower13

• 891 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:02

WTF?! Vettel's mad.

#5 JackyBoy

JackyBoy

• 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:05

Carlos Sainz Jr to STR then I assume.

I'd rather see Bianchi or Hulkenberg at Ferrari next season to be honest, with Vettel moving in when Raikkonen's contract expires.

#6 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:05

He is crazy. Without Red Bull he would have 0 titles at the moment... 

Also he owes them, right guys? Since they supported him on the way into F1. 

#7 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:06

SHOCKEDKRAMERISSHOCKED.gif

#8 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:06

So Vettel and FA at Ferrari and Kimi back to McLaren, huh??? :p

Bravo Vettel!!!

#9 RedKloud

RedKloud

• 108 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:08

Right decision IMO. No one owes anything to anyone. Anyway RBR doesn't need him anymore.

#10 jcpower13

jcpower13

• 891 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:08

Helmut must be blowing a gasket right now.

#11 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 245 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:09

http://www.infiniti-...river-line-2015

#12 KavB

KavB

• 1,593 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:09

Raikkonen and Vettel are my favourite two drivers so the Ferrari line up will be my dream combo. 

And my 3rd favourite driver, Alonso, is heading for a new challenge. Next year will be interesting.  :)

#13 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:11

Crazy ****! I think I should be allowed to use the word **** right now! what the...?

#14 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,901 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:11

I hope this helps Sainz Jr.

For Vettel sake, I hope Kimi dont beats him.

#15 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:12

Wow! Next season is going to be crazy interesting!

#16 Mila

Mila

• 8,564 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:12

No one owes anything to anyone.

Word.

Edited by Mila, 04 October 2014 - 01:14.

#17 JackyBoy

JackyBoy

• 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:13

Confirmed on RBR website

http://www.infiniti-...river-line-2015

#18 jcpower13

jcpower13

• 891 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:13

Did Danny Ric via his performances basically cause Vettel to jump ship? No idea why Seb would leave a team that is likely to have a great car next year unless he truly feels threatened by Danny Ric.

Edited by jcpower13, 04 October 2014 - 01:14.

#19 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:14

Random thoughts:

- It's just dawned on me this doesn't necessarily mean Vettel's off to Ferrari and Alonso to McLaren as expected, Buxton just tweeted "what if Alonso and Vettel BOTH join McLaren, I'm only half joking", maybe the rumours indicating that a few days ago weren't totally insane?

- Has a driver ever won multiple championships with a team then terminated a contract early after a single season of being beaten by a team-mate? Not trying to flame Vettel here but really it is unique.

- Why did Red Bull prefer Kvyat to Alonso who surely was on the market? I know they've had success of promoting from within but passing up on the best driver on the grid is quite something, it surprises me. Do they really rate the Russian THAT high? It's amazing that 1 year ago he wasn't even on the cards for a F1 seat at all, now he's getting a top seat at Red Bull!

- I'm 99% sure it's Sainz who's getting the open Toro Rosso seat as he's been doing surprisingly great under pressure this season in the WSR, but Will Buxton mentions the possibilities of Vergne staying instead, or Lynn getting the break instead of Sainz Jr (reminds me of what happened last year, we were all convinced the guy in WSR would surely get it over the guy that was in GP3 - Red Bull to do it again?), or even.... Felix da Costa back from the dead "as Marko promised"??

- Ricciardo has been great this year but is a Ricciardo/Kvyat duo good enough and experienced enough to lead a top team in F1?

Advertisement

#20 Schumster

Schumster

• 289 posts

Unbelievable. On one hand it is a cop out because he's getting his arse well and truly kicked by Ricciardo and on the other he's taking on the task of bringing Ferrari to the fore.

Vettel to Ferrari, Raikkonen to stay at Ferrari and Alonso to McLaren?

#21 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,635 posts

****-got-real-o.gif

Edited by Boxerevo, 04 October 2014 - 01:17.

#22 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:16

Did Danny Ric via his performances basically cause Vettel to jump ship? No idea why Seb would leave a team that is likely to have a great car next year unless he truly feels threatened by Danny Ric.

No more easy titles for Vettel, so he's leaving at the first possible chance. I hope this guy doesn't become as successful as Schumi with that terrible attitude. 

#23 KavB

KavB

• 1,593 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:17

Random thoughts:

- It's just dawned on me this doesn't necessarily mean Vettel's off to Ferrari and Alonso to McLaren as expected, Buxton just tweeted "what if Alonso and Vettel BOTH join McLaren, I'm only half joking", maybe the rumours indicating that a few days ago weren't totally insane?

That's interesting actually. We know that Honda have gone all out to get the drivers they want. Maybe the offer was just too tempting for Vettel to pass? I would love it if he went to McLaren to be teammates with Alonso. Those two have a strong rivalry and it'd be great to finally see a direct comparison of who is better.

But Vettel has always wanted to drive for Ferrari one day. He's never hidden that ambition. I can't see him turning Ferrari down for McLaren when he clearly has had the offer. Both teams are pretty rubbish anyway so he probably chose the prestige.

#24 LEO10

LEO10

• 393 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:18

Pretty logical move from Vettel's point of view. After winning 4 titles with the same team I think it's time for him to move on and find new challenges, and it has always been his dream to drive for Ferrari.

#25 Zesus

Zesus

• 958 posts

OMG, Vettel - Raikkonen = My dream team!!! I'm so excited about next year!  :clap:

Edited by Zesus, 04 October 2014 - 01:18.

#26 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Had a feeling that something was brewing from early on in the season. The Vettel/RB chemistry just seemed off this year, the way they told him to let Ricciardo pass even before he started winning for them. Wouldn't have mind him to stay a year longer and rectify the record against Daniel but at the same time i think it's the right moment to try something else. He's achieved everything that can be achieved at one team. I'm excited but also a bit worried. Hope Ferrari gets their **** together finaly and he doesn't end up like Alonso never winning a title again.

#27 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,235 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:19

If Vettel and Alonso are both destined for McLaren, this forum's going to explode. :rotfl:

#28 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Wow wow wow!!!

#29 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

As a Seb fan I can only express my disappointment at this news. If Alonso can't get close to winning in Ferrari I doubt Seb can. It's going to be yet another difficult season unless a miracle happens..

#30 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,465 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:20

I'm so shocked I just woke up and I see Vettel leaving Red Bull and Kvyat to replace him.

#31 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,487 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:21

Well, well, well.... I never saw that one coming at all.

The only confirmation we have right now is Vettel leaving Red Bull and Kvyat getting his seat. Vettel is an option in every single seat on the grid, I will presume it is either Mercedes, McLaren or Ferrari. With the rumblings about Ferrari and Alonso that on the face of it seems the most likely, he will however face exactly the same challenge as Alonso there. Ferrari may not be ready.

We will all be smarter soon, until confirmed differently I still see Mercedes in play.

Crazy, crazy, crazy stuff.

:cool:

#32 jcpower13

jcpower13

• 891 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:22

Pretty logical move from Vettel's point of view. After winning 4 titles with the same team I think it's time for him to move on and find new challenges, and it has always been his dream to drive for Ferrari.

You'd think he would've stuck around for an extra year just to prove that Danny Ric beating him was a fluke, this would just fuel rumours that he's scared of the young Aussie.

#33 nuripoko

nuripoko

• 138 posts

OMG ...PitLaneTalk 。。。 :eek: 

#34 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,487 posts

Ohhh and presume this is why the head mechanic was released, he will re-appear in Vettel's new team I think. Will we see Newey, Vettel at Ferrari???

:cool:

#35 KavB

KavB

• 1,593 posts

Had a feeling that something was brewing from early on in the season. The Vettel/RB chemistry just seemed off this year, the way they told him to let Ricciardo pass even before he started winning for them. Wouldn't have mind him to stay a year longer and rectify the record against Daniel but at the same time i think it's the right moment to try something else. He's achieved everything that can be achieved at one team. I'm excited but also a bit worried. Hope Ferrari gets their **** together finaly and he doesn't end up like Alonso never winning a title again.

I think it is precisely because he has had 4 titles that he feels he can take this risk. He's achieved so much that he can retire tomorrow and still have a career which eclipses the majority of world champions in the future.

I am sure he will be disappointed if he does not win a title at Ferrari but I think he would still be happy to have more titles than nearly every driver in history.

#36 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,377 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:23

Jennie Gow @JennieGow

Horner just said "obviously Ferrari made him a very attractive offer" #F1 Vettel

Edited by Yoshi, 04 October 2014 - 01:26.

#37 Schumster

Schumster

• 289 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:24

That's interesting actually. We know that Honda have gone all out to get the drivers they want. Maybe the offer was just too tempting for Vettel to pass? I would love it if he went to McLaren to be teammates with Alonso. Those two have a strong rivalry and it'd be great to finally see a direct comparison of who is better.

But Vettel has always wanted to drive for Ferrari one day. He's never hidden that ambition. I can't see him turning Ferrari down for McLaren when he clearly has had the offer. Both teams are pretty rubbish anyway so he probably chose the prestige.

Absolutely no chance.

Alonso has been burned during his last stint at McLaren, he'll want trust and assurances and not to be instantaneously pitted against another #1.

Ferrari would not pass up on the opportunity of Vettel leaving RB, especially when Alonso is set to leave himself.

McLaren could do with Button steadying the ship, with his experience in F1 and with Honda it'll ease the transition and the fact that he is getting the better of KM says that he still has fight left in him. Only once have McLaren in their 48 years produced a completely new line up.

#38 Zesus

Zesus

• 958 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:25

Jennie Gow ‏@JennieGow 6s6 seconds ago

Horner just said "obviously Ferrari made him a very attractive offer" #F1 Vettel

I'm so happy!!!  :stoned:

#39 Schumster

Schumster

• 289 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:26

You'd think he would've stuck around for an extra year just to prove that Danny Ric beating him was a fluke, this would just fuel rumours that he's scared of the young Aussie.

Yep, you're the 4xWDC but have many doubters and has just had your ass whooped by a newbie. I'd stick around to set the record straight.

He's got another what? 7 years left in him? Imagine if he ends up going to Ferrari and having his career turned upside down. Going to be a nasty stain on his 4 WDCs.

Advertisement

#40 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:28

Christian Horner makes it clear that VET is indeed going to Ferrari

#41 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:28

It makes sense for Vettel to go to Ferrari now. If he waited a year longer they may have gone for Hamilton in a big way next year.

But.... if Vettel goes to McLaren with Alonso that will be mind blowing. Can't really see how it would work, they may aswell build a wall inside the McLaren garage from race 1.

#42 jcpower13

jcpower13

• 891 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:30

It makes sense for Vettel to go to Ferrari now. If he waited a year longer they may have gone for Hamilton in a big way next year.

But.... if Vettel goes to McLaren with Alonso that will be mind blowing. Can't really see how it would work, they may aswell build a wall inside the McLaren garage from race 1.

They'd probably need a second simulator too, just so neither of them come across each other by accident :p.

#43 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,465 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:30

I don't know what to say honestly, I expected him to leave at the end of 2015 but now it's either the lure of McLaren Honda returning or the seat at Ferrari finally becoming available as Alonso has had enough of their shortcomings.

#44 Schumster

Schumster

• 289 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:32

Raikkonen is gone at the end of next year. If Vettel became available, there is no doubt that Ferrari would have gone all out for him.

Some would say he's taking up a new challenge, I say he's bottled.

Edited by Schumster, 04 October 2014 - 01:32.

#45 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:33

****ing crazy, did anybody see that coming  :drunk:

#46 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

This is crazy, really crazy.... Maybe he's retiring from F1? Maybe he had enough of people questioning his talent? What's happening? What's wrong with these people?

#47 NateF

NateF

• 4,060 posts

If Vettel is set for Ferrari and presumably Alonso to McLaren - Hamilton's may have lost his bargaining chip for a higher pay at Mercedes

#48 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:34

This changes everything. I mean, what's his helmet going to look like?

#49 Zesus

Zesus

• 958 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:35

It's not such a shock that he's heading to Ferrari. He is 4 time world champion, he has nothing to lose, why not to enjoy driving a Ferrari? :)

#50 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:35

This should be interesting.