Italian Grand Prix 2014

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 WRP

WRP

• 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:54

Hi All

Thought i would share out visit to Monza this year.  We've done the Adelaide and Melbourne grand prix a few times in Australia, and also the Macau F3 race a few times, but this was the first F1 race we have gone to outside of Australia.

We decided to stay in the lovely town of Como, about 25km north-west of the Monza curcuit.  Very relaxing place to stay with beautiful views of the surrounding lakes and mountains.  About a one hour train ride from Milan.

Thursday was an open pit-walk day at Monza, so we caught a regional train from Garibaldi station in Milan where we spent the morning, to Biassono Lesmo station which is on one of the Milan-Lecco lines (cost about 4 euro from memory). Right next to the station there is a gate into the circuit between the two Lesmo corners and a tunnel to get you to the circuit infield.  It was quite an experience to walk along the pit lane, see the drivers up close and watch the crews doing practice pit stops.  

For the weekend days, we caught the Como to Milan train, getting off at the Monza station.  We then joined the huge line to get the shuttle bus straight to the circuit (plenty of buses, so the line moves quite quickly).  From there, it's a couple of km walk through the park and forest to get to the track. We had grandstand seats at the final corner of the Ascari curves.  Great spot, you could see the cars through all of the Ascari section and the first half of the back straight.  There was also a big screen across the track from us so we could keep up with what else was happening.  At the end of the race we joined may thousands of others and walked most of the lap on the track.  At the end of the day we walked to the Lesmo exit and caught the train to Milan, where there is plenty to see and do (and eat and drink and buy!).

All up, a fantastic grand prix to go to, the history of the circuit, the enthusiastic fans, the warm sunny weather...most enjoyable.  I would certainly recommend putting Monza on the list of races to get to, and Lake Como on list of places to see.

Cheers

Simon

Advertisement

#2 F1Destinations

F1Destinations

• 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:17

Good work Simon, fellow Aussie here. I was also at Monza this year and what a weekend! I need to find some time to write up my experience, but it was an amazing weekend.

Sat in every grandstand on Friday (for research purposes for the site) and this is the result: http://www.youtube.c...yPeSsfy0kya9Jig

I was really surprised by the easy access to the drivers at the race. The exit of the Paddock area was a great place for getting photos and autographs at the end of each day. Also saw Lewis Hamilton leave the circuit in style on Saturday, here's the photographic proof

lewis-hamilton-leaving-monza-2014.jpg