- - - - -

DRS usage

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MotorsportFerrari

MotorsportFerrari

• 215 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 14:11

Lewis Hamilton said after the race he went off the road because he forget deactivating his DRS. I can't see that. Isn't the DRS automatically deactivate right at the end of the activation zone? 

In Japan it was just before the first corner.

http://www.formula1....it_diagram.html

Advertisement

#2 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,625 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 14:12

He deactivated it very late.

#3 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,173 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 14:23

Maybe because they don't brake for T1 in Suzuka so they have to deactivate it manually?

#4 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 14:31

It deactivates when you press the brakes. The thing is, airflow reattachment isn't instantaneous so the drivers can't leave it that late to deactivate it or they'll likely have an accident due to lack of rear downforce. 

#5 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 14:32

Maybe because they don't brake for T1 in Suzuka so they have to deactivate it manually?

I'd like to see onboards. I think with the conditions as they were, they would definitely have been braking a fair bit before the corner.

But I think it was a pretty awful idea to allow DRS at all when the track was clearly still wet and with Turn 1 the way it is. I knew some drivers would have some issues with getting the car slowed and turned-in after the DRS closed.

Edited by Seanspeed, 05 October 2014 - 14:33.

#6 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 14:44

It deactivates when you press the brakes. The thing is, airflow reattachment isn't instantaneous so the drivers can't leave it that late to deactivate it or they'll likely have an accident due to lack of rear downforce. 

That makes sense. I seem to remember someone on TV saying this or me reading it online somewhere.

#7 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 14:46

Yep.

#8 S3baman

S3baman

• 2,864 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 14:48

I for one, was not amused by the FIA allowing DRS usage, and this comes as a Hammy fan. Don't the rules stipulate that if the race is wet DRS use is prohibited?

#9 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 15:15

I for one, was not amused by the FIA allowing DRS usage, and this comes as a Hammy fan. Don't the rules stipulate that if the race is wet DRS use is prohibited?

No. There's another thread about it http://forums.autosp...on-a-wet-track/

#10 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 15:48

The onboard shows that he deactivates it very late.  I think there is a manual deactivation option as well as the auto deactivation when throttle application is less than 95%.