* * * - - 4 votes

Гран При России / Russian Grand Prix - build up

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#1 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 14:55

What had supposed to be a feast of back-to-back F1 weekends turns out to become a very heavy period for the sport indeed. 

Yesterday the worst nightmare was the logistical operation ahead, working around the typhoon. Today all of that became relative after Jules Bianchi got so badly hurt. 

Next weekend we will be racing in Russia. The inaugural Grand Prix. Not in the well known cities of St. Petersburg or Moscow, but rather in the Olympic venue of Sochi. Politics aside, I felt this was going to be a big surprise. F1 is a sport embraced by millions of Russians, and indeed, the idea of bringing a GP there dates back to the seventies/eighties, when it was in fact still the USSR, under the leadership of Leonid Ilyich Brezhnvev. 

For those history buffs among us, they will know Russia hosted Grand Prix before, but this was before F1 'started' back in 1950.

The circuit in Sochi makes it way around the Olympic venues, right next to the temperate Black Sea. Although rain can never be discounted, it looks very unlikely to me. I believe it has some interesting corners, and from what I've seen, it will be surprisingly fast with little room for error in places. 

It is a pity F1 will have to go here on the back of essentially tragic events. Russia had planned big festivities, all of which I imagine will have to be somewhat tempered. The good news is that local hero Kvyatt will come here, determined to be competitive and with a contract in his pocket with Red Bull for next year. 

I wish F1, Sochi and Russia a fantastic weekend ahead. 

Advertisement

#2 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 15:02

I hope Marussia can pull through as a team for their home race.. Really like Marussia as I attended a talk by their Sporting Director back in Singapore and had a selfie taken with Max too.

Edited by Ev0d3vil, 05 October 2014 - 15:02.

#3 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 15:16

I hope Marussia can pull through as a team for their home race..

There's never going to be a nice way to ask, bit do we know who they will put in the car to replace Jules?

News of the last few days has Will Stevens as the "official" reserve, but is he ready to be thrown straight into a race on an unknown track, in a car he's never driven?

Edit - Alexander Rossi?  He's driven no races, but a few practise sessions here and there. And he'll be in Sochi anyway for his GP2 race... or maybe that actually counts him out, since he'd be unlikely to commit to both GP2 and F1 on the same weekend.

Edited by alfa1, 05 October 2014 - 15:25.

#4 rmac923

rmac923

• 486 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 15:30

There's never going to be a nice way to ask, bit do we know who they will put in the car to replace Jules?

News of the last few days has Will Stevens as the "official" reserve, but is he ready to be thrown straight into a race on an unknown track, in a car he's never driven?

Edit - Alexander Rossi?  He's driven no races, but a few practise sessions here and there. And he'll be in Sochi anyway for his GP2 race... or maybe that actually counts him out, since he'd be unlikely to commit to both GP2 and F1 on the same weekend.

Rossi isn't with Caterham, so unless he has a one off GP2 deal already in place, I imagine he's replacing Bianchi.

#5 Donkey

Donkey

• 947 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 15:35

Bianchi's car is completely written off and impounded at the moment. Do they have another tub and enough spare parts to build up a new car for next weekend?

#6 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,640 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 15:40

Please don't use this thread to complain about politics.

#7 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 15:57

Bianchi's car is completely written off and impounded at the moment. Do they have another tub and enough spare parts to build up a new car for next weekend?

AFAIK although the current rules do not allow a third car the teams carry one in dismantled state to every race. A car may be written off during practice so they need a spare one in any case.

#8 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,845 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 17:38

as this is a new track i think we might be due for a shock result. Vettel has driven the track in a road car while the other 21 (who ever replaces the injured Bianchi) will need to learn the track and of course there always a risk of the old safety car which after today events might be more in use

#9 blacky

blacky

• 2,361 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 17:41

Read an interview with Rob Smedley that he believes that soft-medium for Sotchi on this new asphalt is conservative.

#10 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 17:43

Excited to see how it goes at a new venue. Here is to hoping a successful and exciting race at Sochi.

#11 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,958 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 17:49

The track looked... grey to put it that way. Even Valencia looked colorful in comparison. Hopefully the layout will be great.

And I do feel that there will be 21 drivers on the grid.

#12 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,623 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 17:52

Be interesting to see how far Williams will push Merc, baring in mind the 3 long straights.

#13 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,845 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 17:59

if it is 21 drivers how will the knock out qualfying work as its a odd number,

#14 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,958 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 18:03

if it is 21 drivers how will the knock out qualfying work as its a odd number,

5 out in Q1 I guess, to still have 16 drivers in Q2 ;) A bit like if a driver cannot attempt a quali run :)

Edited by Myrvold, 05 October 2014 - 18:03.

#15 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 18:06

Why would there only be 21 drivers? Bianchi obviously won't be taking part, but someone will take his seat.

#16 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,958 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 18:10

Why would there only be 21 drivers? Bianchi obviously won't be taking part, but someone will take his seat.

Marussia, money, new tube/car, one week. There is a chance that there will be one Marussia in Russia.

#17 Ducks

Ducks

• 829 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 18:11

Battle between the two Mercedes boys followed by a battle between the two Williams and a whole load of Mercedes power.

Hope for some good news about Jules before the race weekend starts. :(

#18 loki

loki

• 12,233 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 18:40

Marussia, money, new tube/car, one week. There is a chance that there will be one Marussia in Russia.

Unless they get dispensation to run one car the regs require two cars at each event or the risk of being barred from the series.  They'll have a third tub and it won't take more than a full day or so for them to assemble it.

#19 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,332 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 18:42

It's not even allowed by regulations I believe.

Anyway, isn't this Sochi track an almost carbon copy of Abu Dhabi?

Advertisement

#20 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 18:47

Battle between the two Mercedes boys followed by a battle between the two Williams and a whole load of Mercedes power.

Hope for some good news about Jules before the race weekend starts. :(

Umm.

Okay, today wasn't indicative, but McLaren seem to be finding their legs.  Too little, too late, but I think we'll see KMag up in qualifying, and a surprisingly strong JBut all weekend - he has experience, and can adapt more readily to new circuits., IMO

#21 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 18:48

as this is a new track i think we might be due for a shock result. Vettel has driven the track in a road car while the other 21 (who ever replaces the injured Bianchi) will need to learn the track and of course there always a risk of the old safety car which after today events might be more in use

That won't make any difference to be honest. Laps in an F1 simulator are worth far more than a few laps in a road car. 

#22 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 19:19

I'm not sure driving the track in a road car will have any impact whatsoever.

#23 anneomoly

anneomoly

• 863 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 19:20

Obviously it's been overshadowed by other news, but do we know if the teams packed up and got out in time? Or will be able to?

#24 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,845 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 19:49

I wonder if Sochi might name a turn after De Cesaris as a mark of respect? 

#25 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:41

Weather in Tokyo and Suzuka seems to be sunny, kinda of weird.

#26 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:50

I am starting to have a look periodically on flightradar24.com for planes flying in to Sochi airport :)

#27 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,312 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:56

Rosberg has to turn it around here and find some race pace to stay in the WDC fight. 

10 points is a minimal difference but it can quickly turn to 17 and later to 24 before it becomes a hopeless affair at some point. 

#28 Ducks

Ducks

• 829 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:02

Rosberg has to turn it around here and find some race pace to stay in the WDC fight. 

10 points is a minimal difference but it can quickly turn to 17 and later to 24 before it becomes a hopeless affair at some point. 

If he doesn't win this one, Austin becomes very very important.

Obviously Abu Double doesn't allow it to be a sure thing but he must be starting to feel like its slipping away.

#29 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,082 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:05

I think that Williams will be a though match for Mercedes here. Circuit looks very fast, with two looong straights, only a slow Abu dhabi section in the end.

#30 Ducks

Ducks

• 829 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:13

Umm.

Okay, today wasn't indicative, but McLaren seem to be finding their legs.  Too little, too late, but I think we'll see KMag up in qualifying, and a surprisingly strong JBut all weekend - he has experience, and can adapt more readily to new circuits., IMO

Yeah, i'd imagine them battling with the RedBulls for 5-6-7th.

Im not sure on the forecast but that will also play a part with Williams being so bad in the wet.

#31 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:22

I think that Williams will be a though match for Mercedes here. Circuit looks very fast, with two looong straights, only a slow Abu dhabi section in the end.

Williams will not match Mercedes at all - where have they come close except Austria? (but only on the super soft tyres).

#32 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 15:15

Looks terrible experience to drive, very uninspiring, but I can see potential for plenty of overtakes in the race. I know it's just a game, but the track and car speeds are realistic.

#33 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,055 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 15:17

It's not even allowed by regulations I believe.

Yes it is allowed under 'extraordinary circumstances', this qualifies as that

#34 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,623 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 15:24

Williams will not match Mercedes at all - where have they come close except Austria? (but only on the super soft tyres).

Bottas was 0.6 off in Suzuka, and Sochi definitely plays to their strengths more than Suzuka. That 180° left hander seems to actually be comfortably flat all the way around, and if that's the case, then that's 3 distinct sections of low drag performance for Williams to exploit.

I think it'll be like Germany, where they were surprisingly close.

Edited by TomNokoe, 06 October 2014 - 15:26.

#35 blacky

blacky

• 2,361 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 15:32

Weather forecast is fine, sunny but not hot - about 20 degrees all 3 days.

#36 bushgold

bushgold

• 228 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 15:44

Looks terrible experience to drive, very uninspiring, but I can see potential for plenty of overtakes in the race. I know it's just a game, but the track and car speeds are realistic.

Street circuit around Expo/Olympic Park setting surrounded by lovely environment and a sellout motor racing savvy crowd. It gives off a Canada vibe.

#37 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 17:53

The first birdie I managed to catch direct from Japan descending to Sochi airport :)

f1Sochi02Sgnssbt_thumb.jpg

f1Sochi03vdVFDCd_thumb.jpg

Edited by sharo, 06 October 2014 - 17:59.

#38 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,800 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 18:45

That is seriously long run to the first proper corner!

#39 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,640 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 20:10

@tgruener: Heard #F1 teams not allowed to bring additional parts to #Sochi. Custom laws. Only stuff directly from Suzuka. So not much updates expected.

Advertisement

#40 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 20:21

Just looking at the track layout and the pitlane looks very long. I wonder what the pit lane lose time will be.

Edited by SirT, 06 October 2014 - 20:43.

#41 SteF1an

SteF1an

• 893 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 20:21

Marko on ServusTV 

Vettel to use his 6th engine in Sochi, so he'll start out of the pits

#42 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,958 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 20:27

@tgruener: Heard #F1 teams not allowed to bring additional parts to #Sochi. Custom laws. Only stuff directly from Suzuka. So not much updates expected.

That's another thing pointing to one Marussia only.

Edited by Myrvold, 06 October 2014 - 20:27.

#43 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 20:30

Doesn't look much of a challenge does it? The run to the first (proper) corner is massive!

How strange! What a great place for a prototype championship to go to then!  :stoned:

Edited by Jamiednm, 06 October 2014 - 20:31.

#44 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 20:39

Marko on ServusTV 
Vettel to use his 6th engine in Sochi, so he'll start out of the pits

Pit-lane start? So they are planning to change every element of the engine for a 6th part rather than 1 or 2 elements for a 10 place grid drop (+5 for every extra element) - much better way to do it, should have guessed Red Bull have this figured out :up: (can't believe the others haven't been doing it this way)  and it also guarantees no grid places will carry over to the next race, just in case something goes wrong in quali. They will need to use a 5th energy store on Friday and then put in the 6th of everything for Saturday

#45 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 20:47

That's another thing pointing to one Marussia only.

They should have enough spares to make up an extra car out in Japan (unless they needed to use any of those parts over the weekend, don't remember the Marussia's having other issues though). Not sure what they will do to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if they would be allowed to run 1 car under the circumstances. Really hoping we hear some great news about Jules soon.

#46 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 21:18

Russian customs laws - is this the first time they have actually been implemented then?

#47 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 21:43

Pit-lane start? So they are planning to change every element of the engine for a 6th part rather than 1 or 2 elements for a 10 place grid drop (+5 for every extra element) - much better way to do it, should have guessed Red Bull have this figured out :up: (can't believe the others haven't been doing it this way)  and it also guarantees no grid places will carry over to the next race, just in case something goes wrong in quali. They will need to use a 5th energy store on Friday and then put in the 6th of everything for Saturday

Am a Merc fan but sometimes you just have to admire red bull

#48 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 22:21

hmmm, just been having a quick flick back through the power usage thread - there are a few lot of cars in trouble and likely to need extra engines (most notably Ferrari) who could also change the lot in one go - I wonder if we are likely to see a number of teams go this route Red Bull is and end up with a whole group of cars starting from the pit-lane - I wonder if there is any specific order the cars will line up in if more than 1 car does start from the pit-lane due to an engine penalty or if it will be a free for all as to who can get down there first? Also wonder how they will tackle qualifying, as if its a pit-lane start then qualifying is almost pointless (except for meeting the 107% rules I guess), or maybe quali could be used to determine the order in pit-lane if there are multiple cars - hope the FIA have thought it through properly and we don't just end up with potentially several top cars not bothering with quali (although its always fun watching them try and cut through the field in the race :cool:).

#49 dave34m

dave34m

• 813 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 22:27

Is this true, how could it possibly be true. That would be one of the weirdest things I have ever heard.

#50 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 22:27

hmmm, just been having a quick flick back through the power usage thread - there are a few lot of cars in trouble and likely to need extra engines (most notably Ferrari) who could also change the lot in one go - I wonder if we are likely to see a number of teams go this route Red Bull is and end up with a whole group of cars starting from the pit-lane - I wonder if there is any specific order the cars will line up in if more than 1 car does start from the pit-lane due to an engine penalty or if it will be a free for all as to who can get down there first? Also wonder how they will tackle qualifying, as if its a pit-lane start then qualifying is almost pointless (except for meeting the 107% rules I guess), or maybe quali could be used to determine the order in pit-lane if there are multiple cars - hope the FIA have thought it through properly and we don't just end up with potentially several top cars not bothering with quali (although its always fun watching them try and cut through the field in the race :cool:).

as I understand it they start in the order they qualified, after all penalties are applied of course