Photo
- - - - -

Who will replace Bianchi?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 19:18

I read in Martin Brundle's (excellent) book, Working the Wheel, that, terrible, or even tragic, though an event in F1 may be that will prevent a driver participating in the next race(s), drivers needing a drive will inevitably, and rightly, see it as an opportunity.  So, awful though today's crash was at Suzuka for Jules Bianchi, and I hope to see him back in the car soon, it does mean there is a race seat going spare at Sochi.

Who is likely to fill it?

Advertisement

#2 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 19:20

Rossi maybe ?

#3 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,492 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 19:20

Will there be a car for someone to drive ?

#4 JTSaika

JTSaika

• 405 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 19:21

Not to sound funny but can't we at least wait 24 hours before we start replacing Jules... 

#5 Tommay

Tommay

• 249 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 19:22

I really do hope they get a driver in, they NEED the money from the sponsors, and reliability may be playing an ever bigger part so you don't know what around the corner.

#6 Tommay

Tommay

• 249 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 19:27

Not to sound funny but can't we at least wait 24 hours before we start replacing Jules...

Tbh there us nothing wrong with this topic, as unfortunate the events of today is there is currently a seat in one of the worlds most exclusive clubs. You can choose to ignore the topic if you wish, but ultimately it's one that is being had in the F1 world.

#7 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 19:34

I hope by referencing Brundle's comments, and by stressing I hope to see Bianchi back soon, that I have made the post in good taste. Not discussing it won't improve bianchi's condition or reduce his poor family's stress.

I would like to see Alexander Rossi given the chance, but presumably there are others out there who might also impress.  Of course, this might be for 1 race or until the end of the season, so this might be a huge opportunity for someone.

#KeepFightingBianchi

#8 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,783 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 19:46

There's a story about how Martin Brundle got the Brabham drive in 1986 following Elio de Angelis's fatal testing accident. Bernie Ecclestone was inundated with calls from out-of-work drivers looking to step into the now-empty Brabham seat. Brundle was not one of the callers. Brundle got the job.

Maybe we should keep that spirit in mind.

[Edit: It was actually Derek Warwick.]

Edited by Risil, 05 October 2014 - 20:21.

#9 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 19:48

Most likely candidate should be Will Stevens. He was planned to drive in FP1 for Marussia in Suzuka and has made enough test mileage in the last two years to receive a Superlicence.

Could Vitaly Petrov be an alternative? Makes some sense.....

Edited by scheivlak, 05 October 2014 - 19:49.

#10 Emilvang

Emilvang

• 965 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 19:55

Could Sirotkin with his backers be an option?

#11 Tommay

Tommay

• 249 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 20:00

Could red bull pay for Max maybe?

#12 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 968 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 20:02

Paul Di Resta used to race for Manor. 

Though I guess the rumoured American backers will stick some cash in for Rossi. Especially regarding COTA coming up.

Edited by johnwilliamdavies, 05 October 2014 - 21:18.

#13 frp

frp

• 353 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 20:20

There's a story about how Martin Brundle got the Brabham drive in 1986 following Elio de Angelis's fatal testing accident. Bernie Ecclestone was inundated with calls from out-of-work drivers looking to step into the now-empty Brabham seat. Brundle was not one of the callers. Brundle got the job.

That was Derek Warwick; not Brundle, who was driving for Tyrrell at the time.

#14 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,783 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 20:21

That was Derek Warwick; not Brundle, who was driving for Tyrrell at the time.

Indeed it was, my mistake.

#15 Maikel0230

Maikel0230

• 811 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 20:30

Given the fact that that chassis is a total loss and apparently has been taken by Japanese Police my best bet is we won't see a second car at Sochi, and perhaps given the circumstances that is for the best.

Marussia don't strike me as the team that builds multiple chassis so my guess would be they build a new one for Austin which would go to Rossi given he is the only driver besides Jules and Max to have actually driven this car.

Then again discussing this makes me feel a bit uncomfortable at this stage, not to say it hasn't crossed my mind today at all.

#ForzaJules

#16 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,873 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 20:41

like someone has posted in another thread there a spare in bits and that can be made in a day,  i think we might see a return of Petrov so he can race on his home track

#17 Maikel0230

Maikel0230

• 811 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 20:44

Just realized, given the tension between Russia and the USA will the Russian owners of the team even allow Rossi to drive during a GP?

Edited by Maikel0230, 05 October 2014 - 20:45.

#18 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 20:48

Just realized, given the tension between Russia and the USA will the Russian owners of the team even allow Rossi to drive during a GP?

Just call him ´Rossia´ for this one. His first name is fine already   ;)

#19 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,160 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 20:50

[Edit: It was actually Derek Warwick.]

I remember reading that the same situation applied when Roberto Moreno replaced Alessandro Nannini in 1990.

Advertisement

#20 Laura23

Laura23

• 825 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 21:06

like someone has posted in another thread there a spare in bits and that can be made in a day,  i think we might see a return of Petrov so he can race on his home track

If they do that they won't have a spare chassis in Sochi. It's likely they'll just run Chilton in Russia, have the space tub for him and then see what happens with Jules before choosing who will drive for them for the remainder of the season.

#21 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 21:10

There is nothing wrong with the topic, people. Get off your moral high grounds, Sochi is next weekend. We're obviously all very concerned about Bianchi but this is a legitimate question given the timing of the next Grand Prix. 

#22 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 21:13

With barely any time until Sochi, the typhoon still at large affecting travel preparations, plus all the emotional trauma (We don't know yet that poor Jules will pull through) I think there's a good chance that it will just be one driver at the next race. But they WILL race, as they have to from a financial aspect and Bianchi wouldn't want the team to suffer because of him.

It will be interesting to see if Bianchi's seat is the only one that needs covering. Things like this affect people - will Felipe Massa who is at Bianchi's bedside, be in a fit state to race, for example, especially if Bianchi's fight goes on  (whichever way) for a few days?

If they have to name someone at short notice, then it will likely be someone who has been in FP1 this year - Rossi being the most obvious. But due to Bianchi's links with Ferrari, I wouldn't be totally surprised that for the latter races of this season, someone like de la Rosa fills in.

That said for someone like di Resta, who is rapidly being forgotten about in F1 terms - something like this would be an opportunity. He's arguably the best ex-F1 driver of the last 12 months to be available.

#23 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 21:18

NO! what's the point in trailing around at the back with an ill-handling car?

#24 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 21:21

They already have a Max.

#25 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 21:26

Marussia aren't that hard up to not have more than one spare chassis. They'll have another one at the factory ready to fly out, and given the current conditions in Japan it may arrive before the rest of their equipment.

#26 jee

jee

• 1,288 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 21:37

Marussia got seats for Rossi and Stevens, so one of them is likely to drive. Are both free next weekend or do they have other appointments?

#27 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 21:48

Marussia got seats for Rossi and Stevens, so one of them is likely to drive. Are both free next weekend or do they have other appointments?

Rossi's homepage gives "2014 Russian Grand Prix / Formula 1 Championship" as his next event - for what it's worth http://www.alexanderrossi.com

Stevens does WSR which is never on the same weekend as F1.

#28 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,065 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 21:56

Di Resta would be the best available driver, true. 

However, I think they will go for a pay driver, since they are extremely unlikely to score any points anyway and could use some extra money.

#29 Vepe1995

Vepe1995

• 162 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 22:02

Rossi's homepage gives "2014 Russian Grand Prix / Formula 1 Championship" as his next event - for what it's worth http://www.alexanderrossi.com

I believ WSR is in Monaco on the same weekend as F1.

But I believe it'll be Rossi who gets the seat. If not, then the guy with most money to bring.

#30 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 22:04

I believ WSR is in Monaco on the same weekend as F1.

You're right, that's the exception.

#31 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,101 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 22:38

Who has been in the Marussia simulator?  One would have to have a good undestanding of todays processes.

#32 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,648 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 22:59

According to Wiki, Rossi is 3rd on the driver list behind Max and Jules. Plus he already has his number. 42.

#33 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 23:32

They will sell the seat to the highest bidder. Probably the guy who's been buying FP1 seat time, I imagine. Having a talented Ferrari development driver in that seat has already reaped its reward for them in Monaco.

I don't think it's an absolute automatic certainty that they will able to run two cars at Sochi despite losing Bianchi's race chassis (I understand it's been impounded, so they won't even be able to canibilise it). Will they be have everything they need with them to enable them to run two cars? If not, I'm sure most things could be sent from the factory even at this short notice, as long as we're not talking about whole chassis or anything.

#34 loki

loki

• 12,297 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 00:18

They will sell the seat to the highest bidder. Probably the guy who's been buying FP1 seat time, I imagine. Having a talented Ferrari development driver in that seat has already reaped its reward for them in Monaco.

I don't think it's an absolute automatic certainty that they will able to run two cars at Sochi despite losing Bianchi's race chassis (I understand it's been impounded, so they won't even be able to canibilise it). Will they be have everything they need with them to enable them to run two cars? If not, I'm sure most things could be sent from the factory even at this short notice, as long as we're not talking about whole chassis or anything.

As mentioned in the other thread, without dispensation they aren't allowed to enter a single car.  The regs require two cars. I would imagine if they asked they would be given a waiver for this race.  Plus it's a home race for the backers.  All of the teams have enough parts to build a third car. (though given what happened at Caterham last week they may be short a few bits though this isn't Caterham)  Logistically it makes sense to build as much of the car as possibile in Banbury with available parts and ship it into Sochi unless the only spare tub is with the race team.

#35 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,960 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 00:22

I'd prefer it to be Rossi. It'd be nice to finally see him get a chance after that false promise in Spa. But I don't envy him with the circumstances he'd have to make his début. Bianchi's boots are big ones to fill, and I'm not convinced that Rossi or Stevens are at his level.

Edited by JHSingo, 06 October 2014 - 00:23.

#36 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:20

Petrov with Russian money? Then Rossi with American money at Austin? Then the one of them that can scrape together the most money for Brazil and Abu? Or if they cannot get together anything, the one the team feel would be best.

#37 loki

loki

• 12,297 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:22

Petrov with Russian money? Then Rossi with American money at Austin? Then the one of them that can scrape together the most money for Brazil and Abu? Or if they cannot get together anything, the one the team feel would be best.

That would be a political irony.  

#38 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:36

I'd prefer it to be Rossi. It'd be nice to finally see him get a chance after that false promise in Spa. But I don't envy him with the circumstances he'd have to make his début. Bianchi's boots are big ones to fill, and I'm not convinced that Rossi or Stevens are at his level.

True, but on the other hand, what better place to make your F1 debut than at a track where nobody has raced before?

#39 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:44

Rossi drives in the GP2 series, which is in Sochi for next weekend. So if his GP2 team boss is nice, they'll let hm go to Marussia for the rest of the year. He's already done a team switch mid season, so its not like he's in contention for a championship in GP2.

Advertisement

#40 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:54

Actually makes sense for RBR to pay to get Max in - just like Dan at HRT.

#41 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 692 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:06

NO! what's the point in trailing around at the back with an ill-handling car?

That's exactly what Ricciardo did for 6 months at HRT.

#42 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:21

I'd never even heard of Stevens before today. 

#43 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:34

They'll probably auction the seat and sell it to the highest bidder. It's not like they need to beat Caterham, Bianchi already did that.

#44 loki

loki

• 12,297 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:49

Actually makes sense for RBR to pay to get Max in - just like Dan at HRT.

Agree. While it's not the same car or team he'll be able to acclimate being in the paddock and working in F1, getting used to working in F1 traffic, etc.  OTOH I'd like to see Rossi get a shot at it but I don't know how realistic that is. Marussia will drive more like the Toro Rosso than a feeder series car.   Basically cheap seat time.

#45 Sash1

Sash1

• 1,297 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:51

And Vergne can use his friday time better for a better team result.

#46 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:27

Wouldn't it be great if a top driver drove the car like alonso?

#47 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 14:01

They'll probably auction the seat and sell it to the highest bidder. It's not like they need to beat Caterham, Bianchi already did that.

Then they could just play the "local boy" card for higher TV screen time, because teams get a chunk of cash from FOM for that too.

Sirotkin for Sochi

Rossi for Austin

Razia/Nasr for Sao Paulo.

? for Yas Marina.

#48 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 14:39

Rossi drives in the GP2 series, which is in Sochi for next weekend. So if his GP2 team boss is nice, they'll let hm go to Marussia for the rest of the year. He's already done a team switch mid season, so its not like he's in contention for a championship in GP2.

Rossi didn't get any more races with Campos, he's not a current GP2 driver. The Hockenheim ride was because of Kimiya Sato wanting to race AutoGP that weekend.

#49 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,079 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 15:02

I'd never even heard of Stevens before today. 

Will Stevens was one of the best karting drivers of his era (he won the European Championship, a British title, the Italian Open Masters, the Asia Pacific Championship and the WSK International Series) he is now in his third season of World Serie by Renault 3.5, he won the first race in Monza.

Edited by William Hunt, 06 October 2014 - 15:05.

#50 sblick

sblick

• 1,208 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 15:39

Then they could just play the "local boy" card for higher TV screen time, because teams get a chunk of cash from FOM for that too.

Sirotkin for Sochi
Rossi for Austin
Razia/Nasr for Sao Paulo.
? for Yas Marina.

You can only use 4 drivers in a year unless there are special circumstances if I remember correctly. I think this was brought up in a Caterham forum since they were swapping out drivers left and right.