Photo

Porsche Gmund 356/2 050:anybody know how it was found?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff

• 116 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 17:17

After it was found in Sweden

by a German

it was sold to American Jim Barrington who eventually built up his collection to include  five Gmunds

and he and his son raced them, giving vintage race fans a thrill seeing such early Porsches racing.

But eventually he sold it to famous director and photographer Jeff Zwart who continues to race it (Zwart started with newer Porsches and worked his way back to this early one).

I am curious to know the circumstances of how the Germany collector found it (was it advertised?) ,what year and roughly what was paid (under $10,000 USD, for instance?)

I know how it got to Sweden, it had been ordered by a truckmaker named Scania, who maybe wanted to see how the aluminum body was shored up, all automakers buy other companies cars to dissect them and learn something.

Looking forward to hearing about this car which I am sure we will see at more events in America (I saw it at the Art Center Classic show in Pasadena in 2013)

Advertisement

#2 r.atlos

r.atlos

• 416 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 22:38

Are you sure about the intentions of the "truckmaker named Scania" ... ?

Would you believe that Scania were the Swedish Volkswagen / Porsche importers ... ?

#3 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 22:18

Why not ask Jim Barrington? I think he's still around.