Photo

Phil Murfin RIP

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 19:01

Gents it's with a heavy heart that I have to inform you that my dear friend Phil Murfin (fil 2.8) passed away today after a short illness.

Phil was a kind and genuine person with a razor sharp wit but who did not suffer fools gladly.

His kindness and generosity to many in the bike racing fraternity are legendary, many people, including myself, have benefited from Phil's boundless enthusiasm for his favourite sport and his willingness to put his hand in his own pocket to see riders back on track who otherwise may not have had the chance to relive past glories.

RIP my friend, you will never be forgotten by the many who knew and respected you.

Thoughts and sincere condolences to Phil's family at this terrible time.

Advertisement

#2 Yendor

Yendor

• 519 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 19:21

Gents it's with a heavy heart that I have to inform you that my dear friend Phil Murfin (fil 2.8) passed away today after a short illness.

Phil was a kind and genuine person with a razor sharp wit but who did not suffer fools gladly.

His kindness and generosity to many in the bike racing fraternity are legendary, many people, including myself, have benefited from Phil's boundless enthusiasm for his favourite sport and his willingness to put his hand in his own pocket to see riders back on track who otherwise may not have had the chance to relive past glories.

RIP my friend, you will never be forgotten by the many who knew and respected you.

Thoughts and sincere condolences to Phil's family at this terrible time.

His daughter rang me this morning to tell me what had happened and I was absolutely stunned by this very sad news.

I'd not known Phil very long (he contacted me via this forum a couple of years ago) but for the short time I had known him he greatly enriched my life

and I will miss him and his idiosyncrasies a great deal.

I can only agree with everything above. I too will never forget him and the kindness he showed to me by providing the means with which I could

once again take to the tracks.

RIP Phil

Sincere condolences to his family and friends at this very sad time.

#3 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 20:21

I am stunned, absolutely stunned. That's such awful news. I met Phil through this forum of course, and we got together several times a year since, at Aberdare and Pembrey meetings. He was a knowledgable enthusiast, with a ready banter and a mission to put something back into the sport that he loved. We just don't know whats around the corner do we - here one minute, then gone the next!  

Thanks for informing us Mick.

R.I.P. buddy, it was good to know you and I enjoyed your company.

PhilMurfinsTZG_zps710fc9fa.jpg

#4 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 20:29

Terrible news, I met up with Phil along with Nigel Rollason at the MGP this year and took them both up to my mates garage to see my 500 which Phil had expressed an interest in seeing again as he was involved with Tony Head when he raced it back in the 1980's.

After poking around my bike in the garage I dropped them back at their accommodation and we spent a happy half an hour or so chatting about racing and drinking tea, although i'd conversed many times with Phil on this forum over the years it was the first time i'd actually met him, I never thought for one minute it would turn out to be the last, this is truly tragic.

RIP mate.

#5 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 22:30

Graham told me last week of Phil's ailing health, this is still a big shock.
He was a good forum chum and a ready contributor, but more importantly a raging enthusiast for the sport, and the joy he received from getting his lovely machinery out for a gallop was enjoyable and infectious. Even though we never met, between the banter on here and his forthright pms, I felt I knew him well and considered him a race buddy.
Safe trip, mate.

#6 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 22:37

Very sad news, spoke to him last week on the phone & he sounded so poorly, he was a good man & made us laugh, put his hand in his pocket for many riders, a real enthusiast.

RIP Phil. :cry:

#7 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 00:49

I didn't get it at first, but then I did. We can all take things too seriously & life's too short. Phil was a bright light in a tunnel now sadly extinguished.

#8 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:02

Absolute shocking news.
RIP Phil

#9 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,317 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 17:28

Oh no! I'm devastated. R.I.P. Phil, I'll miss the duck. Sincere condolences to Phil's family and friends.

#10 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 17:43

I'm very shocked to hear this. RIP Phil.

#11 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 20:14

So sad to hear of Phil's passing, we had such great chats and banter, although we never met up, we said we would one day at Brands....Godspeed mate.......R.I.P.

#12 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:43

Oh dear, such a friendly, knowledgeable bloke - sad news.

#13 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,415 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 17:44

This is terrible news. Phil and I had become close via email for three years. All of us lucky enough to be on his email list enjoyed his jokes almost daily.

Horrible.

RIP, Mate.

#14 tonyed

tonyed

• 981 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:18

Always sad when one of the 'old guard' passes on.

However Phil was lucky enough to have experienced this fantastic sport in his life time.

RIP, Phil.

#15 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:04

I have posted this in the Paddock Club thread too, and although I apologise for the cross-posting it seems appropriate to do so in these circumstances.

We have received the following kind words through the forum email account;

I met Phil thru the Forum, and after I was not welcomed in it any longer (my fault), kept exchanging e-mails with delight.
I am terribly shocked by this very sad news.
Only the good die young !
I wish his family and close friends all the might in this very sad moment.

Wish you all the best Phil, be in rest with yourself, you deserved to live longer.

You will for long remain in my motorcyclist heart mate.

Renaud (nomeg1)

#16 Macca

Macca

• 3,723 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:47

Very shocked to read this news. I met Phil at a CRMC meeting at Brands a few years ago, good bloke and true enthusiast, and I always enjoyed what he had to say on this forum.

Deepest sympathy to his family. RIP, fil2.8.

Paul M

#17 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 14:20

I have a nice picture of us Paul, if I can remember how to post pics here I will. :well:

#18 Macca

Macca

• 3,723 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 21:17

PA040184_zpsf8318bed.jpg

Paul M

#19 bobness

bobness

• 257 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:22

Crumbs.

We never met in life, but were regular corresponders on here, he made me laugh a lot, and that's a great thing.

I can't really add to what's been said above.

RIP mate.

Advertisement

#20 charles r

charles r

• 8,403 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:52

Just found this. Very sad news. RIP Fil, I'll miss you.

Edited by charles r, 24 December 2014 - 09:54.

#21 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,415 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:21

Just found this. Very sad news. RIP Fil, I'll miss you.

I'm embarrassed and really sorry I didn't tell you, Charles.