Button could join Webber at Porsche [merged]

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#1 MatParker116

MatParker116

• 56 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 17:37

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/29660644

Basically Button has held talks with Porsche and won't stay in F1 for the sake of it. Button would be an interesting edition to the WEC and I imagine both the BBC and Sky would offer him some media work which would allow him to stay somewhat involved in F1. If it makes sense for everyone why the hell not?

Advertisement

#2 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,950 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 17:43

WEC is such a prestigious championship: great racing without the pressure of F1.

Wouldn't be a major step back for Jenson imho, competition and technology is great there and he could have much fun and success.

#3 windy1603

windy1603

• 70 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 17:45

How will he get on with a car that has to be set up as compromise between all drivers styles?

#4 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 17:50

I just read these "manager" comments to the media as code for hey people my guy might be available, let's get them offers rolling

#5 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 17:55

Ah!Soo thats where F1 rejects migrate to these days!..Used to be Cart and Indy back in the dim and distant past No?

#6 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 17:58

Would be a good move, I regard WEC just as highly as F1 tbh.

Edited by MikeV1987, 17 October 2014 - 17:58.

#7 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 18:16

Would be a good move, I regard WEC just as highly as F1 tbh.

I regard WEC above F1 tbh.

#8 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 18:31

How will he get on with a car that has to be set up as compromise between all drivers styles?

Quite well as LMP1 cars are more about carrying momentum in corners rather than hanging it all out and dealing with the car... something that suits JB down to the ground anyway.

#9 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 18:43

Ah!Soo thats where F1 rejects migrate to these days!..Used to be Cart and Indy back in the dim and distant past No?

:lol:

Ouch!

#10 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 19:02

I can't help but feel Button still has a lot to offer in F1, maybe at a team like Williams or staying at McLaren (I know that won't happen and there is already a 2015 sill season thread)

Edited by Jon83, 17 October 2014 - 19:02.

#11 george1981

george1981

• 1,366 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 19:11

Normally when these rumours make the news it means the contract has been signed.

#12 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 19:15

I wouldn't say that, I'd say it's just trying to put pressure on McLaren to make a decision for the other seat. It may even end up that they're serious about moving over and the pressure is to help Magnussen, who Jenson did say he felt bad for him being in this situation after just one season...

#13 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,800 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 19:24

I thought Jenson had said he never wanted to do Le Mans due to the safety issues. I could be wrong, but I was sure he wasnt a fan.

Yup, I was right:

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111989

Bit of a change of heart if true.

I'd like him to do a 2 year stint alongside Alonso, show the youngster how it is done!

Edited by TheManAlive, 17 October 2014 - 19:25.

#14 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 20:06

Plenty of F1 snobbery will be evident on here if this is accurate. Despite the fact that the WEC is just as prestigious as F1, more so in many ways. If he is, now is the time to make the move, the WEC has been getting better and better again in recent years. It's not up there with Grp C, not yet at any rate but it's quite often a damn sight more entertaining than a Grand Prix.

Edited by superden, 17 October 2014 - 20:09.

#15 Bo77as

Bo77as

• 41 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 20:11

Definitely the right move for his career if he's booted. Strong, competitive racing without the international spotlight of F1. 

#16 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 20:11

Just depends on what you rate as a fan.  If Button would breakout in moto/supercross, he'd be my hero for life :D  

Here, the WEC gets a lot of interest due to the type of race, so it would not be considered a step down in these parts.  I can't speak for the world though.

#17 Bo77as

Bo77as

• 41 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 20:23

Just depends on what you rate as a fan.  If Button would breakout in moto/supercross, he'd be my hero for life :D  

Here, the WEC gets a lot of interest due to the type of race, so it would not be considered a step down in these parts.  I can't speak for the world though.

That would be entertaining as hell. I'm trying to imagine the classy, suave Jenson Button on a bike designed to be the opposite of elegant.

#18 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 21:12

Plenty of F1 snobbery will be evident on here if this is accurate. Despite the fact that the WEC is just as prestigious as F1, more so in many ways. If he is, now is the time to make the move, the WEC has been getting better and better again in recent years. It's not up there with Grp C, not yet at any rate but it's quite often a damn sight more entertaining than a Grand Prix.

to who and how? i keep seeing this idea. how many people watch WEC globally? how much do the drivers get paid? and why do the best young talents aim for F1 and not WEC?

these are serious questions, by the way. i'm interested in the answers.

#19 Emilvang

Emilvang

• 965 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 21:23

Maybe Kevin will also join this series if he is the one not retained by McLaren. He might even drive with his father.

Advertisement

#20 Overgaard

Overgaard

• 19 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 21:33

I thought Jenson had said he never wanted to do Le Mans due to the safety issues. I could be wrong, but I was sure he wasnt a fan.

Yup, I was right:

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111989

He doesn't say he'll never race Le Mans in that article.

#21 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 1,593 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 21:42

If he doesn't get a F1 seat with the potential to fight at the front, then a top-flight P1 seat looks to be the best option. A reduced schedule compared to F1, chance to race some of his closest friends from motorsport, and a new challenge. Could even do some media work on the side.

Still hoping for Button/Alonso at McLaren next year though.

#22 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,375 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 21:47

Three weeks off make Jack/[insert journalist here] a dull boy.

#23 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 21:51

To be honest, I'd say sports car racing fans are getting on a similar snobbery level to F1 fans these days. Waiting for the predictable "LOL F1 is the feeder series for WEC!!!" comments. :rolleyes:

While Button going there would undoubtedly be good news for the series, I do have an issue with it. For all it's plus points with brilliant LMP1 cars and brilliant drivers, it is amazing that the series is just so...bland. They go to some unbelievably characterless venues. I mean having COTA as the American round rather than a Sebring, Road America, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, etc...seriously? Plus the LMP2s don't do anything for me and the less said about GTE which is just a Ferrari and Porsche fest, the better. Finally, outside of Le Mans, I can't think of one WEC race I've seen that I'd class as exciting. You can generally tell who is going to win several hours before the chequered falls. Contrast that to Bathurst last weekend, which after 6 hours of racing went down to the final lap.

Say what you want about American sports car racing, but they sure know how to put on an event, and the diversity in cars is impressive.

So yeah, it may well be a great series for drivers, and may well get better with more manufacturers, but in its current guise I don't see how it can really be considered a rival to F1.

Edited by JHSingo, 17 October 2014 - 21:55.

#24 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 22:03

To be honest, I'd say sports car racing fans are getting on a similar snobbery level to F1 fans these days. Waiting for the predictable "LOL F1 is the feeder series for WEC!!!" comments. :rolleyes:

While Button going there would undoubtedly be good news for the series, I do have an issue with it. For all it's plus points with brilliant LMP1 cars and brilliant drivers, it is amazing that the series is just so...bland. They go to some unbelievably characterless venues. I mean having COTA as the American round rather than a Sebring, Road America, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, etc...seriously? Plus the LMP2s don't do anything for me and the less said about GTE which is just a Ferrari and Porsche fest, the better. Finally, outside of Le Mans, I can't think of one WEC race I've seen that I'd class as exciting. You can generally tell who is going to win several hours before the chequered falls. Contrast that to Bathurst last weekend, which after 6 hours of racing went down to the final lap.

Say what you want about American sports car racing, but they sure know how to put on an event, and the diversity in cars is impressive.

So yeah, it may well be a great series for drivers, and may well get better with more manufacturers, but in its current guise I don't see how it can really be considered a rival to F1.

That and the WEC completely ruin the cars with that huge fin.

#25 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 22:11

to who and how? i keep seeing this idea. how many people watch WEC globally? how much do the drivers get paid? and why do the best young talents aim for F1 and not WEC?

these are serious questions, by the way. i'm interested in the answers.

I think you'll find the wealthiest youngsters aim for F1, not the most talented. I'd say a majority of top-talent now looks towards GT/Endurance/WEC for their career and are adjusting accordingly. Everyone knows F1 is now an IMPOSSIBLE dream unless your dad is either 

1. A multi-millionaire, preferably billionaire

2. ex-F1

If you look at the 'traditional' route to F1 classes you'll see dwindling grids. Certainly in karting... The f1 feeder classes have been decimated.

F1 is still a dream for drivers, but no longer is it an 'aim'. 

Edited by rhukkas, 17 October 2014 - 22:12.

#26 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 22:20

Perfect series for JB. Qualifying and outright pace is not so important, and smart decision making and strategy calls can win you races.

#27 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 22:27

Button joining Webber? Why not! :up:

For all it's plus points with brilliant LMP1 cars and brilliant drivers, it is amazing that the series is just so...bland. They go to some unbelievably characterless venues.

As much as I have come to enjoy watching the WEC races, this is hard to really argue with. The run-up to Le Mans is fine, with Silverstone and Spa-Francorchamps - even if both have lost some of their appeal in recent years, but the rest of the season is indeed rather unimpressive, with tracks like the Circuit of the Americas, Fuji, Shanghai, and Bahrain.

A minor off-topic aside; why is it that Moto GP, F1 and the WEC all come to Japan in October? Fuji looked good on the early morning photographs, but other than that it all looked rather dreary and desaturated. Let's see some races in Japan during the summer!

I don't think there is any doubt about that. WEC isn't even close to being a rival to F1 in terms of commercial success, or viewing figures.

Edited by Nonesuch, 17 October 2014 - 22:33.

#28 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 22:44

I'm sure I remember an interview from Jenson (probably over a year ago) where he mentioned he would like to drive in the Japanese super formula series.

Not sure if that would be an option for him, I have no idea about that series at all?

#29 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,823 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 22:44

It would be quite a leap in the dark for both Porsche and Jenson as he has absolutely no previous sportscar racing experience - having gone straight from karts to Formula Ford to Formula 3 to Formula 1. Contrast this with Mark Webber, who did two seasons with the works AMG Mercedes GT1/GTP team before he made it to F1.

#30 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 22:56

I don't think there is any doubt about that. WEC isn't even close to being a rival to F1 in terms of commercial success, or viewing figures.

True. I guess it is similar to IndyCar and the Indianapolis 500. Huge interest for the 500, not so much for the rest of the season. Likewise, huge interest for Le Mans, not so much for the rest of the season.

Other than changes to the calendar, the thing I'd really like to see the WEC do is introduce differing race distances, again like in America. If it was more a World Sports Car Championship, rather than an endurance championship, I'd find it more appealing. You could have some 6 hour races, some 10-12 hour races, and some shorter ones as well, maybe 3 hours?

It really is a shame that NASCAR has Sebring and Road Atlanta on lock down as I'd love to see the 12 hour and Petit Le Mans return to the schedule.

#31 SerratedEdge

SerratedEdge

• 122 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 23:04

A clear message to Dennis and Boullier to stop d1cking about and make some decisions.

Wouldn't surprise me, and perhaps serves them right, if JB walks and then Alonso turns them down at the 11th hour leaving McLaren in another fine mess that has become a speciality over the last few seasons at the MTC.

Edited by SerratedEdge, 17 October 2014 - 23:27.

#32 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 23:05

I'm sure I remember an interview from Jenson (probably over a year ago) where he mentioned he would like to drive in the Japanese super formula series.

Not sure if that would be an option for him, I have no idea about that series at all?

Recent F1-rookie and Le Mans winner Andre Lotterer does quite well there, as do quite a few other non-Japanese.

The level of the drivers might be something one can argue about, but while the series is relatively obscure outside of Japan, its cars are actually quite impressive.

Here's a quick comparison on Suzuka, which both F1 and Super Formula use. (I'm using the 2013 figures for F1 because of the role the rain played this year):

SF Pole: 1:37.022

F1 Pole: 1:30.915

SF Race length: 249.7 km

F1 Race length: 307.5 km

SF Fastest lap: 1:39.995

F1 Fastest lap: 1:34.587

SF Race average: 197.6 km/h

F1 Race average: 212.5 km/h

Edited by Nonesuch, 17 October 2014 - 23:06.

#33 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 23:09

Perfect series for JB. Qualifying and outright pace is not so important, and smart decision making and strategy calls can win you races.

You make it sound as if the drivers make those choices  :D

#34 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,247 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 23:15

That and the WEC completely ruin the cars with that huge fin.

Is there any technical reason they couldn't replace the shark fin with NASCAR flaps?

#35 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 23:20

Wants a competitive F1 seat.

But otherwise goes to Porsche in the WEC, who are relatively uncompetitive themselves...

#36 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 23:40

Is there any technical reason they couldn't replace the shark fin with NASCAR flaps?

I don't see why not. The C/F laminators will have a bit of over-time too. Everyone's a winner.

#37 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 00:02

You make it sound as if the drivers make those choices :D

Well I was impressed by Webber's use of strategy in the Le Mans. Sponsor a younger, less successful and somewhat doe-eyed countryman into his team and then bench him for double the seat time!

#38 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:13

Wants a competitive F1 seat.

But otherwise goes to Porsche in the WEC, who are relatively uncompetitive themselves...

If he can't get a seat at McLaren or Ferrari, I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump ship. What else would open up for him on a grid with Hamilton, Alonso, Riccardio, Bottas, Rosberg and Vettel? It would be a very long shot. One or two on that list are arguably around the same level as Button but they have youth on their side. Maybe that's not fair but it's the way F1 has been going.

Ferrari's problems are well known too of course, but if he's out of McLaren, it's the best seat available along with that mystique of driving for Ferrari. I know some rail against that as being overblown and snobbish but a lot of drivers are drawn to the Prancing Horse, perhaps Button is one of them. I'm assuming that Williams is a no go, would be nice to see him finish his career out there and go full circle but I wonder how readily they would take him back after the contract dispute and possible complications of Massa's contract that we're not privy to.

Disclaimer: I haven't followed WEC very closely, but I would contend that Porsche, with their history of success and resources in sportscar racing, would be a better bet for Button in the long term than staying in F1 and waiting for a competitive seat to come along if McLaren or Ferrari say "no thanks." I know that historically it is very difficult for a team, even one with the success and resources of Porsche to come in and be fighting at the front day in day out the first year.

We are three quarters of the way through the season now, enough time for McLaren to choose between him and Magnussen. Even if they tell him "You'll be on your way if Alonso comes. It's not a done deal yet but we understand it's getting late in the year and you need to make plans for 2015 just in case,"  that would be the decent thing. I'm not surprised he's looking elsewhere.

Another thing is that although Button has driven in an era where fitness has been very important, the last couple of years have been particularly restrictive for the drivers on their diet. Webber of course is not piling on the pounds but spoke of how nice it is not to have to live on rabbit food the year round. Plus at least in WEC, double points is for a race that is 4 times as long.

Edited by hittheapex, 18 October 2014 - 01:18.

#39 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:14

Now theres a rumor that Jenson wont be alone. Hulkenberg is rumored to be joining Toyota next year. Lol

Advertisement

#40 loki

loki

• 12,097 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:02

That's only because they can't cut it racing NASCAR...

#41 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,079 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:17

Don't know what McLaren is waiting for. For me it is obvious that Button still drives F1 car because he has an opportunity to drive and not because he really wants to. I don't say he doesn't want, he just don't mind to drive if he has a seat. He doesn't enjoy F1 as he used to and now F1 for him is something where he can relax or have some fun. Moreover, he hinted a few times that he would be happy if the team decide to leave Mag.

#42 AlexLangheck

AlexLangheck

• 398 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:38

True. I guess it is similar to IndyCar and the Indianapolis 500. Huge interest for the 500, not so much for the rest of the season. Likewise, huge interest for Le Mans, not so much for the rest of the season.

Other than changes to the calendar, the thing I'd really like to see the WEC do is introduce differing race distances, again like in America. If it was more a World Sports Car Championship, rather than an endurance championship, I'd find it more appealing. You could have some 6 hour races, some 10-12 hour races, and some shorter ones as well, maybe 3 hours?

It really is a shame that NASCAR has Sebring and Road Atlanta on lock down as I'd love to see the 12 hour and Petit Le Mans return to the schedule.

I too think it should be the WSC - then you can have races of varying distances; at the moment it's Le Mans 24 hours, plus supporting 6 hour races, all at F1 tracks. Where is the 10/12 hour race? I'd like to see a 3 hour race, say after the Le Mans break. And while understandable, they will only visit Grade 1 tracks, well apart from Le Mans. Variety is what is needed in Motorsport.

As for Button, I'm sure he'd be a success - still quick, smooth, good team player, good PR, etc Though I expected to see him going to SuperGT.

#43 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 703 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:53

I imagine he may have spoken to them for sure, Jenson is a smart guy, he's obviously going to plan in case he doesn't get a new McLaren deal.

#44 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:06

WEC is such a prestigious championship: great racing without the pressure of F1.

Wouldn't be a major step back for Jenson imho, competition and technology is great there and he could have much fun and success.

Lol what? WEC is a huge step back from F1. WEC is a pretty big failure all things considered, ALMS set the standard for modern sportscar racing, too bad the credit crunch ruined it. 

#45 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,396 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:15

Nah. I don't think drivers should have to give up their sport and profession just because they are out of F1 (sometimes by choice). In any case, DTM has been the more recent destination.

I would love to see WEC come back to the level it was at in the 80s and early 90s (I don't remember before that). I have a vague impression Bernie (and maybe Max) nobbled it to protect F1. At one time is was giving up and coming drivers extra experience before getting to F1 (M Schumacher, for example) and also in their early F1 years (I remember Lancia running several Italian drivers - Patrese, De Cesaris, Alboreto  - while they were in F1). There is nothing wrong either with drivers like Jacky Ickx having second careers in sports cars. It all adds to the story of motor racing.

#46 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,396 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:18

Another thing is that although Button has driven in an era where fitness has been very important, the last couple of years have been particularly restrictive for the drivers on their diet. Webber of course is not piling on the pounds but spoke of how nice it is not to have to live on rabbit food the year round. Plus at least in WEC, double points is for a race that is 4 times as long.

IIRC it is something like eight races per year, which leaves time for other things in life too.

#47 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 2,206 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:43

Don't know what McLaren is waiting for. For me it is obvious that Button still drives F1 car because he has an opportunity to drive and not because he really wants to. I don't say he doesn't want, he just don't mind to drive if he has a seat. He doesn't enjoy F1 as he used to and now F1 for him is something where he can relax or have some fun. Moreover, he hinted a few times that he would be happy if the team decide to leave Mag.

He's expressed his desire to continue racing in F1 and how much he loves it on numerous occasions. What he said about Kevin is that it would be harder on him if he was let go because he's only had one year in the sport whilst he's had fourteen years and a championship. People also forget that he lost his father a few months ago. So what a few may perceive as a loss of desire could be the fact that he's still grieving the loss of his father.

#48 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:57

I can't help but feel Button still has a lot to offer in F1, maybe at a team like Williams or staying at McLaren (I know that won't happen and there is already a 2015 sill season thread)

Massa on a long term contract and Bottas not going anywhere there are no seats. I'd prefer Button to Massa by a mile.

#49 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:23

Never rated him highly, in my opinion the most overrated champion on the grid.

Never really understood why he had number of followers, i guess paying for journalist dinners and polite interviews but overall wasn't that great...

#50 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:46

Lol what? WEC is a huge step back from F1. WEC is a pretty big failure all things considered, ALMS set the standard for modern sportscar racing, too bad the credit crunch ruined it.

Failure? With 3 auto manufacturers this year and 4 next in lmp1? Hardly the case in only its 4th season.