• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 13:32

Dates have been confirmed for Goodwood Festival of Speed and Revival

GOODWOOD REVEALS PROVISIONAL DATES FOR 2015 FESTIVAL OF SPEED AND REVIVAL

Goodwood is delighted to announce the provisional dates for both the Festival of Speed and Revival meeting in 2015.

The Festival of Speed, which celebrates the very best from the past and present of motoring and motor sport, will be held on 25-28 June, 2015. As has become tradition, the event will open with the Moving Motor Show on Thursday, 25 June.

The Revival, firmly established as the world’s most popular historic motor racing and vintage culture event, will be held for an 18th time at Goodwood Motor Circuit in 2015, and will take place on September 11-13.

Tickets and hospitality packages for both events will go on general sale on Thursday, 6 November, as will a limited number of tickets for the 73rd Members’ Meeting, which was recently confirmed as being held on 21-22 March 2015.

All dates remain provisional until further notice.

Advertisement

#2 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:13

News about the 73rd Members' meeting

SENSATIONAL ‘HIGH-AIRBOX’ F1 DEMO TO THRILL CROWDS AT GOODWOOD

73rd MEMBERS’ MEETING

Grand Prix racing’s most visually distinctive period will be celebrated at the 73rd Goodwood Members’ Meeting, on 21-22 March 2015. From 1971 until early 1976, Formula 1 cars were fitted with increasingly outlandish airboxes, towering high above the drivers’ heads, and more than 25 models from this innovative and extravagant era will grace the Goodwood Motor Circuit at the Members’ Meeting.

A pair of ex-Niki Lauda Ferraris – a 312T driven by the Austrian on the way to his maiden F1 world title in 1975 and a 312B3, an example of which helped him to his first grand prix victory the previous year – will be driven around the fabled 2.4-mile circuit on each day.

Lotus will also be well represented, with a pair of 72s raced by Emerson Fittipaldi and Ronnie Peterson, resplendent in their iconic black-and-gold liveries, joined by a 76 campaigned by the Super Swede to the car’s only finish in Germany in 1974.

A pair of ex-Peterson Marches – the experimental 721X and a 711 that was also raced by Le Mans legend Henri Pescarolo in period – have been confirmed to attend, as have McLarens and Tyrrells campaigned by, respectively, Peter Revson and Patrick Depailler, and the Shadow DN1 that was used by Graham Hill’s eponymous team in 1973.

Rarities such as the world’s only Amon AF101, as raced by Chris Amon in 1974, an ex-Tim Schenken Trojan T103-1 in which the Australian secured a pair of top-10 finishes in GPs the same year, and the Token RJ02 in which Tom Pryce made his F1 debut, will also take part.

Tickets for the 73rd Members’ Meeting are now available to Members of all Goodwood Clubs and those on the waiting list for the Goodwood Road Racing Club. For information on how to join the waiting list, please visit the Goodwood website. A limited number of tickets will go on general sale from November 6, subject to availability.

#3 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 893 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:11

Will probably give FoS a miss next year. Would like to attend the 73rd Members meet instead but may be rallying over in Ypres that weekend. So possibly just the Revival for me...

#4 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 17:11

Tickets for Festival of Speed, the Goodwood Revival and the 73rd Members' Meeting are going on general sale at 0900hrs on Thursday 6 November 2014.

We have some incredible plans for 2015 and each event promises to continue the Goodwood tradition of producing unique displays, thrilling races and a brilliant atmosphere. The occasions are selling out earlier and earlier each year, which is why we urge you to secure your tickets as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.

Dates
We announced the provisional dates for Festival of Speed and the Revival at the beginning of this week, allowing you to put them in your diary and start getting excited about the motoring fun that we will be serving up in 2015.

Edited by Alan Cox, 24 October 2014 - 17:11.

#5 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 581 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 18:23

I've heard that there is to be a pre 1933 event for racing cars. The date means that there will be no ERAs. Bad news for fans of Bourne, but good news for supporters of the Trident and the serpent of Milano. I know of one 8CM which is undergoing major work for the event and I want to be there. :drunk:

#6 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 19:12

So the 31/32 Brooklands Talbot?

#7 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 13:27

Latest press release regarding the programme for the 73rd Members' meeting

GOODWOOD 73rd MEMBERS’ MEETING TO HONOUR MOTOR SPORT ICONS IN 2015

Goodwood will celebrate the achievements of several motor sport legends at the 73rd Members’ Meeting, by naming the races at the event in their honour.

A 12-race programme has been confirmed for the event, which will be held on March 21-22, 2015 in front of an exclusive audience comprising members of the Goodwood Road Racing Club and a limited number of like-minded enthusiasts.

The Derek Bell Cup – a race for one-litre ‘screamer’ Formula 3 cars – will honour the five-time Le Mans 24 Hours winner, who raced with great success in F3 at Goodwood.  Meanwhile, the achievements of double World Champion Graham Hill will be marked with an hour-long, two-driver race for GT cars of 1960-66 on the Saturday evening of the event.

The Hawthorn Trophy, named after Britain’s first F1 World Champion, Mike Hawthorn, will be held for front-engined F1, F2 and Formula Libre cars of the 1950s, the likes of which brought him to prominence right here at Goodwood in 1952, and gave him his greatest successes.

Tommy Sopwith, runner-up in the inaugural British Touring Car Championship in 1958, lends his name to a race for 1950s saloons, while Trevor Taylor’s achievements will be marked with a race for rear-engined, drum-braked Formula Junior, of the type in which he won the 1960 British Championship.

Early Can-Am prototypes and pre-1935 grand prix cars will make up the fields for, respectively, the Bruce McLaren and Earl Howe Trophies, while a race for British 1960s production sports cars will be named in honour of ‘aftermarket king’ Les Leston, whose products were vital in the creation of some of the era’s most endearing racing machines.

A race exclusively for Porsche 911s of pre-1967 vintage will be held for the John Aldington Trophy, in honour of the man widely credited with introducing Porsche into the UK.

As previously announced, the Gerry Marshall Trophy for Group 1 touring cars, and the Salvadori Cup for 1950s sports cars, both of which proved to be instant crowd favourites at this year’s 72nd Members’ Meeting, will return to the action.

#8 Steve L

Steve L

• 542 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:47

I know of one 8CM which is undergoing major work for the event and I want to be there. :drunk:

Do tell?!

#9 john aston

john aston

• 2,675 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:04

Well, looks like I can attend the members meeting. Can anybody give me an idea of what  a weekend ticket costs - no grandstand but paddock access? And presumably one can wander around for free on friday to watch testing ? 

#10 Garsted

Garsted

• 182 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 13:36

Well, looks like I can attend the members meeting. Can anybody give me an idea of what  a weekend ticket costs - no grandstand but paddock access? And presumably one can wander around for free on friday to watch testing ? 

A weekend ticket will cost £130 (non GRRC member) £120 (member).  Day passes are £80  (£75).  Saturday is practice, and Sunday the races.  I think paddock access is free to all (not sure, - didn't go last year).

Regards, Steve

#11 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,569 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 21:36

do we know how one gets an entry for the Members Meeting?

#12 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 581 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:46

Do tell?!

The 8CM is the ex Whitney Straight, Princes Chula/Bira car (3011).

It has had a number of reliability issues since it's British owner took it over. These problems mainly involve the supercharger, which has had to have several new casings (due to rotor failings or lubrication issues) and several sets of rotors have had to be made - the current set survived the last kaboom and the team are hopeful that they are moving towards reliability. But they wouldn't say that near the car. Fortunately it is good hands with an owner who is determined to get the problems licked and an engineer who knows what he is doing and can get things done.

Incidentally, the owner has family connections to the Princes hence it is now in Bira Blue.  ;)

Edited by fuzzi, 08 November 2014 - 10:24.

#13 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 15:07

do we know how one gets an entry for the Members Meeting?

Keep badgering!

I have been a GRRC Member since 1999 and had an AC Ace that was raced by Ted Whiteaway in the late 50s at Goodwood.  An eligible and very suitable car I was told as my details were taken as a likely entry.

I assumed, wrongly, that I was on a list of possibles but was told in January 2014 that my request had been skipped over and I should have kept in touch from my initial inquiry on 3 October 2013.

Depending on type of car it is probably best to get in touch with the Class Promoter

#14 Steve L

Steve L

• 542 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 19:57

It has had a number of reliability issues since it's British owner took it over. These problems mainly involve the supercharger, which has had to have several new casings (due to rotor failings or lubrication issues) and several sets of rotors have had to be made - the current set survived the last kaboom and the team are hopeful that they are moving towards reliability. But they wouldn't say that near the car. Fortunately it is good hands with an owner who is determined to get the problems licked and an engineer who knows what he is doing and can get things done.

Incidentally, the owner has family connections to the Princes hence it is now in Bira Blue.  ;)

Thanks very much for this information  :wave:

It is nice to know that 3011 is gradually being brought back to full health - such an attractive and historic car!

Could anyone tell me if the other Whitney Straight 8CM chassis 3012 still exists, please?  I have always wondered?!

Edited by Steve L, 12 November 2014 - 19:57.

#15 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:38

It was nice to see 3011 out at last year's Donington Festival

20134-5Donington129_edited-1_zps8be581bd

#16 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 21:53

Latest news of an 'Edwardian Leviathan' class at this year's Festival of Speed: 

‘Edwardian Leviathans’ to give Festival a ground-shaking alarm call

Jan 23, 2015 

This year’s Festival of Speed will feature an all-new class: Edwardian Leviathans, a celebration of the huge-engined racers of motor racing’s formative years. And to ensure that Festival-goers receive a suitably loud alarm call, the class is due to kick off proceedings as the first run up the hill. There are 19 of these incredible machines confirmed to attend, and each sums up this year’s theme: ‘Flat-out and Fearless: Racing on the edge.’

In period, grands prix and city-to-city races regularly ran to more than six hours and covered distances of over 400 miles on dust-covered and cobbled roads and land-speed records often took place on beaches. There’s no doubting that the pioneers behind the wheel were well and truly racing on the edge.

With safety measures non-existent and avoiding death an achievement in itself, the success of pre-World War I icons like Camille Jenatzy, Felice Nazzaro and Georges Boillot – the latter killed in a dogfight during the hostilities – remains something to think about with your jaw on the floor even now.

The oldest car taking to the Goodwood Hillclimb is set to be a 1902 Mors Type Z that competed in the 1902 Gordon Bennett Trophy, while a 21-litre Metallurgique-Maybach from 1907, as featured in the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, is also entered.

The ever-enthusiastic Duncan Pittaway’s ‘Beast of Turin’ Fiat S76 – the fastest car in the world over a flying mile in 1911 – has also been confirmed, following its 28.5-litre engine’s successful firing-up for the first time in over a century recently.

British success will be represented with machinery from Napier and Sunbeam, plus the legendary Highham Special ‘Babs’ land speed record car, while Hall-Scott, Itala and Bugatti cars will also be on show.

While the speed and power figures of these incredible cars may not raise eyebrows today, the sheer noise and spectacle certainly does.

#17 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 23:42

Quote:

The oldest car taking to the Goodwood Hillclimb is set to be a 1902 Mors Type Z that competed in the 1902 Gordon Bennett Trophy, while a 21-litre Metallurgique-Maybach from 1907, as featured in the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, is also entered.

Not many marks for historical accuracy there: ever since Bill Lake restored it in the 1970s, the 1902 Mors has been referred to as the Paris-Vienna Mors. The GB was run concurrently over the Paris-Innsbruck part of that race and I can't for the moment remember if the Mors qualified as a GB racer.

However the car in the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was made for the film by Alan Mann Racing in Hertfordshire in 1967 and La Met pre-dates that by many years - Douglas Fitzpatrick, writing about it in 1957, reported that the Maybach engine had been fitted in 1919

#18 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 00:33

The Mors driven by Henri Fournier was one of the three French contestants for the 1902 GB, but this car was apparently destroyed by fire in 1904. As I understand it, such evidence as there is indicates that the Bill Lake/Mallya/Collier car is the one driven in Paris-Vienna by de Caters.

http://www.motorspor...-veteran-racing

Edited by Tim Murray, 24 January 2015 - 00:42.

#19 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 19:29

Members' Meeting tickets now available for booking by the hoi polloi

https://ticketing.go...,ARY9XW,BACRK,1

Advertisement

#20 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 19:33

However the car in the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was made for the film by Alan Mann Racing in Hertfordshire in 1967 and La Met pre-dates that by many years - Douglas Fitzpatrick, writing about it in 1957, reported that the Maybach engine had been fitted in 1919

The Maybach did appear in the film, Allan, along with a few other genuine cars. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang itself was, indeed, built by Alan Mann Racing

http://www.imcdb.org...ybach-1907.html

http://www.imcdb.org...ie.php?id=62803

Edited by Alan Cox, 30 January 2015 - 19:34.

#21 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 23:13

Thanks for the correction, Alan.

They said it was featured in that film.

As you will understand I never saw the film, but read about the featured eponymous special and assumed that was what "featured" referred to.

#22 foxyracer

foxyracer

• 161 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:19

I went to the Revival last year for the first time since 1998.  I was bitterly disappointed that without GRRC membership I could not gain access to the most interesting cars in the paddock.  That ruined an otherwise excellent weekend for me and meant it didn't represent value for money.  Unless this policy changes, and I don't expect it will, I will not be back.  The members meeting looks good but it's a high price to risk being frozen or soaked or both so early in the year.  And who knows what elitist tricks GRRC will play as it becomes more popular.  

HRCC meetings at Brands, Donington and especially Oulton are so much better value and you can go where you like.  You are even spared people in 1960s garb chatting incessantly on their "period" 4G mobile phones..... 

#23 GroupC2

GroupC2

• 25 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 16:15

The Revival has always restricted paddock entry, and its hardly elitist anyone can join, you just need to pay. The Paddock is always busy, although not packed, much like Coys used to feel. And compared to the FOS a joy.

#24 john aston

john aston

• 2,675 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:46

Yes - but there is a long waiting list for GRRC membership; I joined early on , let it lapse and next time I wnet as an ordinary punter I only got in because a friendly journalist bunged us a ticket. Joanne was then refused entry to the paddock because she was wearing trousers(with smart blazer and scarf ). She eventually got  in because she gave the marshal her death ray look  . It is a superb meeting  but has been spoiled by becoming part of "the season" and attracting a demographic which never goes near another race meeting,

#25 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 13:09

Details of the Lavant Cup:

Revival news! Ferraris only in Lavant Cup

Few will forget the spectacle of last year’s Lavant Cup race at the Revival when a field full of Jaguar D-Types and XKSSs created a screaming sea of (mostly) racing green

Those who wondered how Goodwood could follow such a sight need wait no longer, with the announcement that the Lavant Cup at this year’s Revival will be for Ferrari racing sports cars of the Fifties. Think 166M, 340MM, 375MM, 750 Monza and 250 Testa Rossa.These were the cars which elevated Ferrari’s reputation, claiming five World Sportscar Championship titles and chalking up major wins in all the famous races like Le Mans, Spa, Mille Miglia, Targa Florio, Nurburgring …

#26 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 17:30

My son and I are going to the 73rd members meeting, im guessing the traffic shouldn't be too bad, fingers crossed.

#27 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 15:15

As the invites are now out for the Festival of Speed, does anyone know if any Chevrons have been invited in order to celebrate the marque's 50th anniversary???

#28 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 17:50

The Pre War Sports Car race is included in Revival programme.

This along with races at Silverstone Festival and Donington suggest major comeback for these cars.

Let's hope the grids are made up of many makes.

Bob Wood had the answer at the old Coys and would have a maximum of no more than three of any one type of cars.

Of course you could have a full grid of Nash's with all those new cars!

#29 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:16

The Pre War Sports Car race is included in Revival programme.

This along with races at Silverstone Festival and Donington suggest major comeback for these cars.

Let's hope the grids are made up of many makes.

Bob Wood had the answer at the old Coys and would have a maximum of no more than three of any one type of cars.

Hear, hear, John. Indeed, Bob Wood's Pre-war races at the early Silverstone Festivals were excellent and much enjoyed by participant and spectator alike. As you say, a fabulous roll-call of makes was attracted. Most of the cars in those bygone days (a quarter of a century ago) were still owned by enthusiasts.

#30 PSB

PSB

• 31 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:45

Are They holding the anual Press day for this year's FOS?

#31 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:45

Not quite nostalgia, but the Festival of Speed press office have recently announced that Valentino Rossi will be making his Goodwood debut. I suspect that it will become a sell-out sooner rather than later with this announcement.

Rossi to make FoS Debut

No, your eyes are not deceiving you: Seven-time MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi, 'The Doctor', will be coming to the Festival of Speed in June. On the day of the announcement, it generated so much interest and excitement that it prompted our ticketing site to visibly wince.

But it is not just Rossi that we can now confirm. We have five Formula 1 teams including World Champion Mercedes, a 100-year-old, 28-litre Fiat, modern exotica in the Michelin Supercar Run, tributes to Derek Bell and Sir Stirling Moss, plus an American invasion, with a trio of NASCAR heroes and debuts from Don Garlits 'The Godfather' of drag racing, the World of Outlaws sprint car series and Stadium Supertrucks. And Rossi is not the only MotoGP star who we have on board - read on to find out about all this and more.

We have so many fantastic updates that we barely have space to talk about how incredible the Moving Motor Show presented by the AA in association with The Telegraph will be this year, with 18 manufacturers confirmed and UK debuts including Mazda's latest MX-5 and the Ford Focus RS. We can already say that 2015 will be a vintage year at FoS...

Two-Time MotoGP Champion Casey Stoner To Ride At FoS

Double MotoGP champion Casey Stoner will ride at the Festival of Speed for the first time in nine years as part of a superstar line-up of bike legends.

The 29-year-old Aussie will join a host of other World Champions at Goodwood including John Surtees, Giacomo Agostini, Kenny Roberts, Freddie Spencer and Valentino Rossi.

Stoner, who clinched titles in 2007 and 2011 during seven years racing at the top level, will ride a prototype Honda MotoGP bike during the Festival.

Stirling Moss’s Mille Miglia Win Celebrated with Amazing 300 SLR Gathering at FoS

The 60th anniversary of Sir Stirling Moss’s 1955 Mille Miglia victory will be celebrated at the Festival of Speed with an astonishing, never-before-seen, gathering of Mercedes-Benz 300 SLRs.

Edited by Alan Cox, 03 April 2015 - 09:47.

#32 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,500 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:17

Coincidentally, I've just booked my tickets for both events.   Alan is right about the demand if the speed of the website is anything to go by!

#33 john aston

john aston

• 2,675 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:57

ITV 4 - racing looked terrific . But a lot of the rest of it made me want to chew the carpet . Interestingly  90% of spectators seemed to be clustered around start/finish  and chicane . Has nobody told them the viewing is better out in the country?

#34 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 18:53

After seven Revivals, I believe I've seen my last. In addition to the expense and effort just getting there from the U.S., the crowding and corporate environment have become a bit too much. It'll be the Members Meeting for me in the future. There is room for some improvement, but I hope March will resist the temptation to increase attendance and corporate "hospitality." I'll continue to renew my GRRC membership with that in mind.

#35 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:07

Interestingly  90% of spectators seemed to be clustered around start/finish  and chicane . Has nobody told them the viewing is better out in the country?

And don't go telling them, either. :p

#36 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 18:38

Hi all,

my son and I have been to all of the Revival`s and enjoy it. We usually walk the circuit watching different races at different places. We went to the 73rd Members Meeting (which was brilliant) and watched the racing from Madgewick and the chicane mainly because we cannot often do it at the Revival. Those two places are ten deep sometimes so to do this at the Members meeting was thrilling. What grinds my gears at the Revival is people leaving their chairs by the fence and disappearing, bit selfish if you ask me. Anyway Goodwood and all of the events are excellent and I can`t wait for the Festival of Speed. Just my two penny`s worth.

#37 PSB

PSB

• 31 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 20:33

Booked my Flight about a month ago and the FOS tickets online on the day of the Rossi announcement (The site was slow as hell).

Landing in Luton on the Tusday before the event and traveling, on the train, south from London on Wednesday (going with my Father and Brother).

Can't wait for my first FOS!

Yigal.

#38 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 21:20

Are They holding the anual Press day for this year's FOS?

It was done on line this year

#39 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 22:08

Hi all,
my son and I have been to all of the Revival`s and enjoy it. We usually walk the circuit watching different races at different places. We went to the 73rd Members Meeting (which was brilliant) and watched the racing from Madgewick and the chicane mainly because we cannot often do it at the Revival. Those two places are ten deep sometimes so to do this at the Members meeting was thrilling. What grinds my gears at the Revival is people leaving their chairs by the fence and disappearing, bit selfish if you ask me. Anyway Goodwood and all of the events are excellent and I can`t wait for the Festival of Speed. Just my two penny`s worth.

Yes, access to vantage points is a big winner for MM. Access to the pit roof was also welcomed, along with viewing from inside of the chicane, and Madgwick as you mentioned.

Advertisement

#40 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 454 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:36

Yes, access to vantage points is a big winner for MM. Access to the pit roof was also welcomed, along with viewing from inside of the chicane, and Madgwick as you mentioned.

Got it in one ! I'll be back out "in the country" with my camera for the Revival.

#41 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 17:58

Latest press release from Goodwood:

‘FEARLESS BUT FLAT-BROKE’ TO CELEBRATE F1’s ‘NEARLY MEN’ AT GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED

While the 2015 Goodwood Festival of Speed proudly celebrates the theme ‘Flat-Out and Fearless – Racing on the Edge’, an all-new category for the Hillclimb will celebrate those that put everything into reaching Formula 1, but never quite achieved the success that they craved.

‘Fearless but Flat-Broke’ shines a light on the teams that, despite limited resources, followed their dream of making it to motor racing’s highest level and bravely took on powerhouses such as Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus and Williams.

Two cars driven by F1’s perennial bridesmaid, Chris Amon, will feature. The unraced Tecno E371, in which the Kiwi never progressed beyond practice sessions in 1973, and his unique Amon AF101 – raced just once the following season – failed to allow him to add to his 11 podiums with Ferrari and Matra.

A pair of Lec CRP1s – complete with bodywork shaped in period by fridge-making machines – will be seen in action together for the very first time. The Bognor Regis-built cars will head up the Hill in tandem, evoking memories of the team’s three F1 World Championship starts, which incredibly included driver David Purley leading the 1977 Belgian GP in tricky weather conditions.

They will be joined by the eccentric March 2-4-0, developed as the team’s six-wheeled challenger for the 1977 world title. It never raced due to chronic unreliability in testing and instead found fame as a Scalextric car, as well as winning the British Hillclimb Championship in the hands of Roy Lane.

Later machinery to feature includes an ex-Roberto Moreno Coloni C3, to be driven by fast lady Lorina McLaughlin, the Minardi M189 in which Pierluigi Martini incredibly led a lap of the 1989 Portuguese GP, and the Life 190 that failed to get within 14 seconds of pre-qualifying for a race the following season in the hands of Gary Brabham and Bruno Giacomelli.

Finally, the 1995 season is set to be represented by a pair of cars that collectively qualified inside the top 20 on just four occasions; the Simtek S951 raced by current F1 rookie Max Verstappen’s father Jos ‘the boss’, and the Pacific PR02, which will be driven at the Festival of Speed by 2002 British Formula 3 champion Robbie Kerr.

#42 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 19:09

The star car, of course, should be the Connew if the title definition is to have any meaning, IMHO.... Even as a static exhibit
Roger Lund

#43 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,207 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 19:29

I do think that's a good touch. It's often the least successful cars that we don't often see - for obvious reasons - and often have a few more people round them nowadays than they did at the time!

If I am able to go, I'd like to see the Life especially, and also the Simtek - a very neat looking car.

#44 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 19:40

Don't think the 2-4-0 won the British Hillclimb champ. did it....??

#45 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 19:41

The star car, of course, should be the Connew if the title definition is to have any meaning, IMHO.... Even as a static exhibit
Roger Lund

Absolutely!!!!

Michael

#46 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 21:03

Don't think the 2-4-0 won the British Hillclimb champ. did it....??

Nope. It did win the first round in 1979, at Wiscombe.

#47 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:51

Latest Revival news:

GOODWOOD REVIVAL TO CELEBRATE 50th ANNIVERSARY OF SHELBY DAYTONA COUPE’S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

This year’s Goodwood Revival will mark the 50th anniversary of one of the most iconic GT racing cars of the 1960s – the Shelby Daytona Coupe – with a never-before-seen collection of the V8 racers at the 11-13 September event.

Only six examples of the Daytona Coupe were ever produced; its acquired name a reference to the car’s debut at the Daytona Continental in 1964, at which its drivers Dave MacDonald and Bob Holbert caused a sensation by securing pole position and leading the first third of the race.

For the first time in history the cars will come together at Goodwood to take part in a special demonstration run on each day of the Revival, along with a selection of other significant original Shelby Cobras. At least two of the Daytona machines will race in the Revival’s showpiece race – the RAC Tourist Trophy Celebration – on the Sunday of the event.

Based originally on the British AC-Bristol, the Cobra came into being after American Carroll Shelby – winner of the 1959 Le Mans 24 Hours – began fitting Ford V8 engines and strengthened gearboxes to re-bodied machines from the Thames Ditton-based constructor.

Renowned designer Peter Brock came up with an ultra-aerodynamic body ideal for high top speeds and the Daytona Coupe was born, to be raced by superstar drivers of the era like Dan Gurney, Phil Hill and Chris Amon in the World Championship, which was held for closed-top GT cars during the period.

After a Le Mans class win in 1964, a dominant campaign in World Sportscars in ’65 ensured that Shelby became the first American marque to take the title with numerous class wins from the car, including at Daytona, Sebring, Le Mans and the Nurburgring, with programmes run by Shelby International itself, Alan Mann Racing and – on one occasion – Scuderia Filipinetti.

All the Cobras will be housed in a special area within the main paddock, which will be dressed to resemble the pitlane of the 1965 Sebring 12 Hours for this very special celebration in September. It is sure to be a highlight for the event’s 150,000 visitors to the Revival

#48 Macca

Macca

• 3,723 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:55

They didn't win the class at Le Mans 1965, that was the 3rd-place Ferrari 275gtb/c IIRC.

Nice to see so many together, but since there are quite a few repros around and racing it loses some of its sting.

Paul M

#49 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:32

Just over a week to go :)

I will attend the traditional FoS TNF meet on Friday 1pm at the Startline Bar  - see you there :wave:

#50 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:52

I'll be there, and I suspect Arttidesco will be too. :up: