Photo

I have tried and failed miserably....

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 16:50

I have tried and failed miserably to paste a photo of a car that I saw over the weekend at the Algarve Classic Festival. It had me stumped. I thought i was pretty well versed in cars of the era but this one beat me. I enquired and know what it is now. I knew of the other cars of this marque but not this one. I wondered if others could identify it. So, for a bit of fun, I wanted to post the photo. Err....  Stumped again.

If anybody who has the knack, the gift or knowledge of the black art of posting photos here and could help me I would be grateful. It is a beautiful car.

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,569 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 17:00

it's easy, go to the top of this Forum, look at the 'sticky threads and in particular the thread titled

'Attention everyone: how to post your images', that should sort you out.

#3 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 17:08

This seems to be a problem for a lot of people. For some reason when you first post a picture it doesn't always appear. Instead of giving up, try refreshing the page and hey presto it's there. One of the benefits of the mega update that's screwed the site a little  :well: 

If all else fails PM me and I'll post it for you.

#4 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 17:31

it's easy, go to the top of this Forum, look at the 'sticky threads and in particular the thread titled

'Attention everyone: how to post your images', that should sort you out.

Not so fast, I tried that and it just added utter confusion to perplexity. Giraffe gave me his tips for posting on Imageshack, and after a few minor problems, success! Imageshack stopped being a free site, so after rescuing everything I'd put on there, I tried Photobucket, instant success, and better than Imageshack. After my earlier struggles I couldn't believe how easy it was, not sure if the TNF sticky is helpful with Photobucket, but that's where I'd advise anyone new to begin, if I can manage it without problems, anyone can.

#5 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,415 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 18:48

Imageshack's worked well for moi as well.

#6 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 18:58

I gave up on Image Shack when it gave me only limited access to pics I had posted on the site, I have been using postimage for several years for free without a hitch now.

#7 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:46

You can even use Facebook if you are into that. 

Right click to get image address and copy paste into the box from the insert image icon.

388022_10150440609158560_978203341_n.jpg

#8 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,389 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:57

I have tried and failed miserably to paste a photo of a car that I saw over the weekend at the Algarve Classic Festival. It had me stumped. I thought i was pretty well versed in cars of the era but this one beat me. I enquired and know what it is now. I knew of the other cars of this marque but not this one. I wondered if others could identify it. So, for a bit of fun, I wanted to post the photo. Err....  Stumped again.

If anybody who has the knack, the gift or knowledge of the black art of posting photos here and could help me I would be grateful. It is a beautiful car.

What program are you using? The latest version of IE in combination with the forum engine, won't let you post pictures on this site, so I still use IE10. I use www.postimage.org choose a picture from my PC, upload it (Max about 3Mb), then copy from Direct Link and use the little green box above where you type - In theory, simple.

Self_built_Nomad_Brands_Hatch.jpg

Edited by Bloggsworth, 20 October 2014 - 20:58.

#9 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 21:10

You can even use Facebook if you are into that. 

Right click to get image address and copy paste into the box from the insert image icon.

388022_10150440609158560_978203341_n.jpg

You could have got my better side  :|

#10 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,836 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 14:07

The trick I have not read yet, is that the right click of the photo does not always give the correct adress to link the photo. Take this picture for instance:

7933.jpg

If you would post the link of where the picture is place, which is here,  the picture won't appear. Often if you right-click the picture and click 'Copy location', it won't lead you to the right address. What I do is right click the photo, and then select 'View Info image' (or words to that effect).

y8CPqZR.png

Ignore all the addresses in the top box, you need to copy paste the address at location ('locatie', in Dutch) (top-line), in the grey box. And then click the image for posting pictures (see above), then you get a window with URL in which you can paste the exact location of the picture.

jWq2sTX.png

Put the right location url in the box. Click Ok.

Then it must work. Please try!

Regards

N.

PS: I use http://imgur.com/ to place the pictures I want to post. It works fine.

Edited by Nemo1965, 21 October 2014 - 14:14.

#11 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 14:33

Test

IMG_0243_zps3c3a595d.jpg

#12 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 17:52

Is it time to unlock the old ImageShack based "How to ..."  thread and allow it to float into oblivion and produce a new thread with clear succinct instructions?
I don't have a scanner or any photos of my own and have baulked at the complexity of pasting images from the 'web putting aside any copyright reservations.

#13 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 18:34

Is it time to unlock the old ImageShack based "How to ..."  thread and allow it to float into oblivion and produce a new thread with clear succinct instructions?

I'd go along with that, I can't be the only one who found eight pages of conflicting and over complicated advice more than off-putting, I was going to give up until Giraffe rescued me with clear and simple Imageshack instructions that only filled a dozen or so lines of text. I didn't get on with Dropbox, won't have anything to do with cloud computing if I can help it, and found a new happy home in Photobucket, easier to use and better than Imageshack was, how many others here are using it? If there are any drawbacks, I haven't found them yet.

#14 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 20:30

After wasting far too much time on that "How to.." thread, I gave up !

Fortunately Mick [275 GTB-4 on here] gave me some help with Photobucket.....without trying to show that he was smarter than I was. Now I can post photos. :up:

3996e24d-d3da-4225-8275-051fbf4786b1_zps

Youngest Grandson helping me at Wakefield Park.

#15 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,753 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 20:33

Good stuff, but Photobucket uses the cloud. They all do. That's how they work and how you can share your images.

#16 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 20:36

I'd go along with that, I can't be the only one who found eight pages of conflicting and over complicated advice more than off-putting, I was going to give up until Giraffe rescued me with clear and simple Imageshack instructions that only filled a dozen or so lines of text. I didn't get on with Dropbox, won't have anything to do with cloud computing if I can help it, and found a new happy home in Photobucket, easier to use and better than Imageshack was, how many others here are using it? If there are any drawbacks, I haven't found them yet.

I think it gets complicated because response to our photo posting requirements seems to be different according to which browser you use. I variously use a slightly out of date Mac (no probs), Windows XP (no probs) and Windows 7. The latter (and associated browser edition) is especially uncooperative with TNF on my computer at work, so I downloaded Firefox which seems to hiccup less.. But I am a very real example of the "a little knowledge is dangerous", so you are all best ignoring me. :rolleyes:  

But generally Flickr, Facebook and Photobucket I can usually get to work one way or another. Just blunder around, press buttons. You get there in the end  :-)

4047933074_222b267aae_b.jpg

Edited by David Beard, 21 October 2014 - 20:45.

#17 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 20:37

Good stuff, but Photobucket uses the cloud. They all do. That's how they work and how you can share your images.

Yes, I've been told that already, but as you say though, there doesn't seem to be any way of avoiding it, at least I'm only risking a few amateur pics of old cars. I'm just off to post a batch of compromising nude pics on Twitter, they should all be safe there...

#18 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 20:53

You could have got my better side  :|

Not me . I think the waitress took the snap!

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 21:41

One problem with the pic posting thread is that the years bring changes to how it all works...

Imageshack keeps changing their pages' appearance, I'm sure the others do as well. And, of course, Imageshack now charges if you want things to remain (relatively... yes, Michael, I know) stable. So there are so many others.

But the length of the thread keeps on getting extended by endlessly repetitive questions about how it works, thankfully Twinny pulled out all the 'testing' posts to ease the pain a bit.

Postimage.org seems okay, Photobucket is popular with some. But preparation of the pic for posting is still important and I don't think anyone's yet found anything as good as Irfanview for that.

Of course, the basic problem of understanding how the photo posting works will always remain to daunt people until they work it out.

Edited by Ray Bell, 21 October 2014 - 21:42.

Advertisement

#20 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:54

Won't somebody post the photograph that started the thread?

#21 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:10

Won't somebody post the photograph that started the thread?

Firstly allow me to thank all those who have offered advice.

I have not acted on my original post for a few days in an effort to see whether I really am as computer illiterate as I believed (and it appears I am!). I certainly do not speak binary and admit that some of the technical references in replies in the thread baffle me. So I (and my much more computer savvy elder brother who is visiting) have tried again and continue to fail and be baffled. 

It is a shame that the forum does not make posting images easier.

I will contact Alansart today and take him up on his offer in Post 3 to post the photo of my mystery (it was to me) car.

#22 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,237 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:32

Knowing the breadth (and depth) of knowledge around these parts, you could probably just describe the picture and someone will have had a fair stab at the chassis number before lunchtime...

#23 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:08

Well from what I have seen in this thread, it's a 1972 Lotus Star F2, chassis number 2. but that might be a guess...................

#24 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:05

The thread has been worthwhile for me, if only for the wonderful Jim Clark shot posted by Dipster.

Many thanks

Roger Lund

PS I cannot post stuff here either, perhaps a combination of new TNF site and a new desktop as it used to be fine with postimage..

#25 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:35

Are you using 'hotlink for forums (1)', Roger?

That's working for me...

#26 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:48

The thread has been worthwhile for me, if only for the wonderful Jim Clark shot posted by Dipster.

Many thanks

Roger Lund

PS I cannot post stuff here either, perhaps a combination of new TNF site and a new desktop as it used to be fine with postimage..

The credit for that post rightly goes to Nemo1965. Photo posting is beyond me.......

#27 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:50

I discovered my reason for not being able to post pictures since the update was that I was trying to post in the "Reply to this topic" at the foot of the page in the thread and found it impossible but when I used the "Reply to this topic" icon at the top of the page it worked just like it used to before the update.

David

#28 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 14:21

This is the photo that Dipster wanted to post  :) 

unnamedPort.jpg

#29 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 14:31

That is Rod Jolley's Lister Jaguar 'Monzanapolis', constructed for the 1958 'Race of Two Worlds' at Monza, and raced by Rod in historic racing for many, many years.

Edited by Tim Murray, 22 October 2014 - 14:32.

#30 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 14:48

Thanks to Alan for posting this. Tim Murray has confirmed my belief that TNF really is a valuable resource. It really is unfortunate that the update caused so much anger (at times) and created difficulties. Perhaps others, who had knowledge that could serve others, no longer post.

I do find this car to be a wonderful beast. The body is in amazing condition and is a testimony to the skill of Rod Jolley. I looked in vain for even one stone "ping"!  I really thought I knew the Listers but obviously not and my knowledge is no match to that of others on TNF.

#31 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 16:13

Who was angry, not me, worth waiting for the pic' too, lovely bit of kit!!

#32 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 19:46

I agree - worth waiting for. No filler, no paint....just a pure piece of fine artistic workmanship.

#33 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 20:00

I think Dipster is referring to this bulletin board's software change of August 2013, which did indeed cause anger, and continues to cause problems for many of us. It has I'm sure caused a number of valued members of this forum to stop posting here,

#34 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 20:25

David, I use the 'Reply to this topic' box at the bottom of the page...

No problems. But pics will not show up until you have posted and then refreshed the page.

#35 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:57

While on the subject of posting photos, has anyone on this site posted photos while using an Apple Ipad & how did you achieve to post the photo.

#36 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:02

While on the subject of posting photos, has anyone on this site posted photos while using an Apple Ipad & how did you achieve to post the photo.

You have to place your photo on a 3rd party site - Photobucket, Flickr etc. You can't do it directly from your iPad or computer as you can with Facebook. I have my own website with lots of spare space so use that or take a link from my Flickr account.

Edited by alansart, 23 October 2014 - 08:03.

#37 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:39

I remember the car from its' first incarnation, before Rod bought it, he was/is a very brave driver as anybody who saw him in his 4.3 Alvis single seat special will attest. The front axle patter under braking was fearsome to behold. The wheels almost disappearing in a blur.

#38 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:37

You have to place your photo on a 3rd party site - Photobucket, Flickr etc. You can't do it directly from your iPad or computer as you can with Facebook. I have my own website with lots of spare space so use that or take a link from my Flickr account.

I understand what you are saying as I have uploaded photos before, the Ipad does not give me any icon that I can use to register my photo for attachment, so what are the steps that one uses for attaching photos with an Ipad?

#39 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,848 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:44

Daniel I’m basing the following on postimage.org and using the ipad to take a photo. An example of me doing this is the ‘Early Lotus sales outlets in Australia’ thread that you have contributed so generously. You may recall ‘The Sun’ newspaper piece with the dolly bird on the bonnet of the Lotus Seven.

Take your photo with the ipad (or one that’s already in your ‘photos’ section of the ipad).

1st line of the postimage screen with 'Select files to upload’ tap on ‘Browse’ this should bring up the ‘Photos’ menu/screen. Tap ‘All Photos’ or ‘Recently Added’ then pick the photo you want to upload by tapping on it. It should have a blue circle/white tick. Then tap ‘done’ this should have simply left “image.jpg”.

2nd line – same basic process as the computer. Where it has 'Resize' tap the arrow to bring down a menu of sizes. highlight '640 x 480 (for message boards)' - you can go bigger but probably no more than 15 or 17 inch screen.

3rd line – Tap 'family safe'

4th line – Tap 'Upload it' and let it do its thing.

When the new screen appears on your ipad showing the uploaded image, below the image where it states 'Hotlink for forums (1)' press that to bring up a choice of 3 options, tap ‘Select All’. Then when the 5 options appear tap ‘copy’.  

Next stage involves having the appropriate TNF thread page open where you wish the image to appear, making sure you're signed in. Now just paste the URL by pressing on the ipad screen in the ‘Reply to this topic’ section. It should bring up ‘Paste’ just tap it and the full image code should appear.

All else is normal process of either writing or repeating the above to add extra photos to the same post. Then it’s your choice to either preview your post or simply tap ‘post’

Hopefully this will work for you and you can tweak as you become more accustomed.

Stephen

Advertisement

#40 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:54

I remember the car from its' first incarnation, before Rod bought it, he was/is a very brave driver as anybody who saw him in his 4.3 Alvis single seat special will attest. The front axle patter under braking was fearsome to behold. The wheels almost disappearing in a blur.

He certainly seemed to be pressing on when I saw him last weekend!

#41 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:55

Thanks Stephen I will give it a try, please advise what you mean by "Post Image Account", eg Dropbox, Photobucket etc?

#42 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,848 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:14

Daniel, It just means you'll need an account with http://postimage.org for the above information to be relevant. It's free, so easy enough to sign up to even if you have another account with Dropbox, photobucket etc.

Stephen

#43 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:50

Daniel, It just means you'll need an account with http://postimage.org for the above information to be relevant. It's free, so easy enough to sign up to even if you have another account with Dropbox, photobucket etc.
Stephen

Stephen you are a genius, the method you suggested is so easy, many thanks view my latest efforts on "Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s", I am on the right hand side of the picture wearing glasses, again many thanks.

#44 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:45

Ray

The bottom of the screen reply box used to freeze when I pasted the URL in the box so I couldn't get to the point where I could refresh it.

Strangely I have just tried it this morning and I can now post pictures in both the top and bottom of the screen "reply to topic" options so something seems to have changed very recently in the software. For me posting pictures now is as easy as it always used to be.

David

#45 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,848 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 00:08

Daniel, thank you for letting me know the information worked for you. Definitely no genius here. Just mug enthusiast.

Stephen