Photo

S Logan, Bouley Bay Hillclimber

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MartLgn

MartLgn

• 150 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 19:48

Whilst browsing through the results section in some 1950's editions of 'The Motor Yearbook' I noticed one S Logan who placed 6th in Bouley Bay Hillclimb of 1949 in a 996cc Cooper, upgrading to 1100cc in 1950 brought 3rd place in 1950 and 1951. There is no mention of them after this and they do not appear in the results of any similar events on the mainland. As Logan is a family name I'm curious to learn more about this individual who went to the expense and effort of purchasing and preparing a car that doesn't appear to have competed outside of Jersey.  The current incarnation of the Jersey L.C.C doesn't appear to have much interest in anything but its recent history so I am wondering if any esteemed TNF'ers can shed any light on the car and career of said S Logan?

Advertisement

#2 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,848 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 21:17

I only have very limited reference to Sid Logan. He's in the results of the 25/8/50 Autosport report for the 7/8/50 Guernsey Val des Terres Hillclimb with a Cooper 1100.

He's also a potential entry for the 13/7/50 Jersey International Road Race meeting.

Stephen

#3 MartLgn

MartLgn

• 150 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 21:33

Many thanks for that information Stephen, it seems that Sid's Cooper didn't get many outings outside of the Channel Islands! 

#4 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,546 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:11

Many thanks for that information Stephen, it seems that Sid's Cooper didn't get many outings outside of the Channel Islands! 

There is a thriving hillclimb & sprint scene on the Channel Islands as well as other forms of motor sport. In the early days of the British Hillclimb championship few Channel Islanders registered and although competing at the Bouley Bay meetings they were not eligible for the run-offs.

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,582 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:30

FWIW I checked my Val des Terres programmes which run from 1964 to 1973, and his name doesn't appear, so presumably he'd given up competing by then.

#6 MartLgn

MartLgn

• 150 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 21:54

Thanks Steve and Tim, I'm going to contact the secretary of the JM & LCC to see if they have any records of past members and take it from there.

#7 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,317 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 16:40

I remember Syd, not his exploits. He still rode around on an old Velocette as late as '82/3, if he wasn't 80, he wasn't far off. Sid always wore a black leather greatcoat and a black pudding basin helmet which was a little squewed on his head, rather like Cadel Evans the cyclist. Both the Velo and the helmet looked as though they'd been painted with a couple of buckets of watered down black emulsion having been thrown at them, but at least he tried. Syd was essentially a motorcyclist at heart and raced bikes only in the the early years, he sustained injuries, to both legs leaving it quite difficult to get about easily and also head injuries, these were I think sustained in a crash at a Manx GP meeting in the early '30's. After the limited recovery that Syd made, he drove cars, injuries or not for racing purposes. Syd passed away I think, and I'm geeting this on good authority, in '89 or '90.

Good luck finding anyone at the JMC&LCC that can help, their site is dreadful. The archives have vanished and there seems to be little on there more than a couple of years old. I mean, they've even removed me for crying out loud.  :rotfl:

#8 dgs

dgs

• 247 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:31

Syd Logan is mentioned twice in Chris Mason's excellent book 'Uphill Racers'.

1950: Bouley Bay

" Ken Wharton at Bouley Bay. The little Cooper 1000 fairly flew up the Jersey hill's 1011 twisting yards, leaving the new record at 55.4s, Poore was 0.4s slower but was still second from the improving Jerseyman, Syd Logan in his Cooper (56.4s), Allard (56.6s) and a tie between Frank le Gallais's LGS-Jaguar and Peter Collins's 750 Cooper".

1951: Bouley Bay

"The interruption to the Wharton domination was only temporary. He returned to Bouley Bay at the end of July and lopped a whole 1.2s of his own record with the highly effective Cooper, defeating Poore by two full seconds, and with the speedy Jerseyman Syd Logan (Cooper 1000, winner of the earlier 'club' Bouley climb in May), and Allard next up".

This confirms two things, one Syd Logan was not registered for the British Hill Climb Chanpionship, and secondly that he was a good enough driver to win a local 'club' hill climb. 

According to the second edition of 'A Record of Grand Prix and Voiturette Racing, Volume 5' book, Syd Logan was entered at 1950 IV J.C.C. Jersey Road Race, held at St Helier. He is shown as entrant No 24, in a Cooper 9-Jap. Footnote states did not start.

#9 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,546 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:59

Syd Logan is mentioned twice in Chris Mason's excellent book 'Uphill Racers'.

1950: Bouley Bay

" Ken Wharton at Bouley Bay. The little Cooper 1000 fairly flew up the Jersey hill's 1011 twisting yards, leaving the new record at 55.4s, Poore was 0.4s slower but was still second from the improving Jerseyman, Syd Logan in his Cooper (56.4s), Allard (56.6s) and a tie between Frank le Gallais's LGS-Jaguar and Peter Collins's 750 Cooper".

1951: Bouley Bay

"The interruption to the Wharton domination was only temporary. He returned to Bouley Bay at the end of July and lopped a whole 1.2s of his own record with the highly effective Cooper, defeating Poore by two full seconds, and with the speedy Jerseyman Syd Logan (Cooper 1000, winner of the earlier 'club' Bouley climb in May), and Allard next up".

This confirms two things, one Syd Logan was not registered for the British Hill Climb Chanpionship, and secondly that he was a good enough driver to win a local 'club' hill climb. 

According to the second edition of 'A Record of Grand Prix and Voiturette Racing, Volume 5' book, Syd Logan was entered at 1950 IV J.C.C. Jersey Road Race, held at St Helier. He is shown as entrant No 24, in a Cooper 9-Jap. Footnote states did not start.

So Syd would have been third in the British Hillclimb points in both 1950 & 1951 events. Not bad indeed but if he wasn't going to head to the 'mainland' hardly worth registering for the BHC.

#10 MartLgn

MartLgn

• 150 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 20:41

Thanks for the info milestone and dgs. Syd sounds like a character with some talent behind the wheel! I assume he still lived on Jersey in his later years?
I must agree with your assessment of JMC&LCC! The website is bereft on any useful history and my request for info has not received so much as an acknowledgment, but know I know there's a two wheeled career to investigate!