Photo

Just a great photo

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,696 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 22:14

As per the title, anyone else got any favourites they'd like to share ?

http://grandprixweb....ca-de-1978.html

I wonder who said what ?

Advertisement

#2 AJB

AJB

• 242 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 23:38

i love this shot of Jackie Oliver  http://f1.imgci.com/...17600/17647.jpg  

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:44

You could caption that "It wasn't me - honest!"  :)

Edited by D-Type, 25 October 2014 - 11:00.

#4 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,237 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:53

The familiar pic of Oliver is Rouen, 1968, isn't it?

The look of apparent nonchalance in his face and posture always makes me think of the times when someone (quite likely me) has walked into a lamp-post or fallen spectacularly - and very painfully - down the steps at the railway station... and out of sheer embarrassment has tried to make it appear that nothing very much has happened...

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:03

Whatever is going through the mechanic's mind could be of interest too...

Though he appears to be over his initial shock.

#6 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 14:17

Or he could be mentally counting his lucky stars....

#7 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,125 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 14:45

Nah, he's just waiting for the bus to arrive...

#8 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,300 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 14:51

Thinking about what to say to Colin.

#9 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 19:43

And the mechanic is thinking "Oh dear!  This means another all-nighter"

#10 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 975 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:24

Re the Oliver wrecked Lotus pix from Rouen, 1968...

Is the car sitting at track-side or has been lugged off to an access road well clear of the racing surface?  The reason I ask is if it is indeed the track proper, I'm aghast at the wooden fence c/w wire stringers and capped with barbed wire.  I'm all for safety but many is the time that I think that modern day requirements are just a bit too stringent.  In this case, I would think it very appropriate to labelled an unacceptable risk.

#11 Levin68

Levin68

• 58 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:32

Of the Oliver/Lotus 49B crash shot, one is wondering if he has a job tomorrow, the other knows he has a job tomorrow.

#12 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,582 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:27

The car is indeed sitting at the side of the track. Other photos of the accident show an enormous gate a bit to the left of the wreck (the car destroyed itself by hitting one of the stout brick gateposts) plus telegraph poles etc, all completely unprotected. To be fair, the accident occurred on the straight section leading past the pits where they obviously assumed that the chances of an accident were low.

#13 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:20

To be fair, the accident occurred on the straight section leading past the pits where they obviously assumed that the chances of an accident were low.

You'd think that the events at the end of the 1962 GP would have had some influence, though . . .

#14 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,569 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:20

There is film of the aftermath of this incident, the BBC happened to be producing a documentary on Chapman and were at Rouen for the GP. It's great stuff, if you haven't got a copy, treat yourself:  http://shop.classict...n-dvd-109-p.asp

#15 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 454 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:26

i love this shot of Jackie Oliver  http://f1.imgci.com/...17600/17647.jpg

This incident was also documented in that 1968 documentary about Colin Chapman (called "Millionaire" (?)), which was discussed in another thread on this forum.

There's footage of Chapman in the pits right after he's had a look at Oliver's car - He goes over to Bruce McLaren, who's sitting in his own car in his team's pit, and warns McLaren that he thought the bellhousing was defective - with a warning to McLaren to do due diligence on their own drivetrain parts, which were shared among the Cosworth-powered teams.

#16 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,237 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:29

Other things strike me as interesting in that picture...

how well monocoque has stood up which clearly kept its driver intact (although the primary impact must have been the rear end), and the integrity of the chassis/engine join; the transmission with both wheels - and the wing - still attached is a little way further up the road.

In Michael Oliver's book, the driver offers the view that the rear end taking the impact and breaking away left the engine/tub/front end to come to rest without being flicked or rotated into a second impact (possibly with the other side of the gateway?).

My understanding is that Oliver believed the wing had changed its angle of incidence suddenly and lifted the rear end, but it wasn't immediately obvious whether this was caused by the wing supports collapsed or whether the bellhousing (or its mountings had failed). I do remember seeing a documentary (possibly the one Gary mentioned above) in which Chapman is heard airing his concerns about the bellhousing; the filmmaker clearly implied that Chapman already suspected the cause was and was either 'covering up' or just causing some confusion for his competitiors; I've not seen evidence or opinion elsewhere to support those motives and have no reason to believe them. Was a particular axe being ground in that film, or was it just picking up on the non-specific and commonly-heard detractions that developed over time?

In 1968, there were plenty of features of circuits which, looking back with our current awareness of safety, we imagine ought to have seemed unacceptable even at the time. I can't stop myself from forming a list in my head but I'm sure we've done it before.

Edited by 2F-001, 26 October 2014 - 08:30.

#17 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:57

Whatever is going through the mechanic's mind could be of interest too...

Though he appears to be over his initial shock.

The mechanic being Dale Porteous

#18 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,569 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:15

'(possibly the one Gary mentioned above)'

it is indeed that [programme.

#19 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:10

As the accident took place in practice, Oliver has probably realised that he has very little chance of starting in the GP (he didn't). The mechanic may be wondering if the other car (Graham Hill's) is going to have the same problem. Presumably Lotus didn't have a spare car at Rouen.

Stu

Advertisement

#20 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 17:31

I seem to remember that, in the film mentioned, Jackie Oliver looked rather less nonchalant once the enormity of the accident had sunk in.

#21 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,569 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 17:57

he IS rather white and a little shocked when he gets back to the pits! Chapman asks him if he'd hit anything and  he replies no, he'd just spun.