Photo

Talbot 105 BGH23

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 20:21

Talbot 105 BGH 23 is being put up for sale at Bonhams London Sale in November.

It's the car that dominated at Brooklands in late 30's and holds 4 seater record at virtually 130 mph.

Started life winning Alpine Trial at 3 litre and increased to 3.3 for its later exploits at Brooklands and RAC and Scotish Rallies.

I am biast but ideal for Rallies,Racing and going to pub.By far best high chassis British built Pre War sports car.

One of two remaining 1934 Works Cars and if you include four 1931 GO works Alpines.One of six!

This car as are all the other works 105's is prepared by Pace Products with wins in most contemporary Historic events from Le Mans Classic to Alpine Trial in 2014.

A very special car and just surprised that Bonhams price which I thought would be at least 20 % higher in line with Ulstets and such cars which it is obviously superior to!

If anyone wins lottery could be worse ways to spend it.

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,512 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 20:35

The ultimate 1930s Q-car. A wonderful machine with fantastic history matched by its current condition and capability, but I suspect this is hardly the place to seek a buyer for it. By sheer coincidence I have just spent three days writing about 'BGH 23'. John always tells it as he sees it, but what are 'Ulstets"?

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 30 October 2014 - 20:36.

#3 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 22:12

Sorry

The spell check won

The example I considered was

A M Ulsters.

Or Delehaye 135 MS

Both of which are inferior to 105.

#4 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,512 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:20

Aah - with you now. Kick that spell checker again re Delahayes. And again I really admire your taste in cars.

DCN

#5 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 13:46

Never know.

Seems only decerning people understand that the 105's (especially 34 works cars) are superior to any of their contempory competition so am sure the buyer should come from TFN or people who read the postings (well on most threads!)

Have had most of the other cars of period and came to conclusion that Talbots were the best to own.

Remember even the great Stanley Manns favourite book is the Blight Talbot bible.

I give up on my evangelical zeal at this point and hope the car who Bonhams are selling on behalf of its German owner goes to a good home hopefully in UK and is used.

That's what cars are for!

#6 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 14:44

. . . hope the car who Bonhams are selling on behalf of its German owner goes to a good home hopefully in UK and is used.

That's what cars are for!

Sadly, I believe the stupidly high prices that cars like that realise these days reduces the chance of them finding an owner who will use them hard.

#7 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 19:06

Sadly, I believe the stupidly high prices that cars like that realise these days reduces the chance of them finding an owner who will use them hard.

Given the value it is impossible to see why they should not be driven hard, it's not like one could be written off, short of dropping it in the middle of an ocean trench.

Added Talbot 105AV to my must have list thanks for the tip John :up:

#8 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,538 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 19:31

That shade of green? Where did it come from?

#9 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 21:22

The colour of the cars was the same as George Roesch,the cars brilliant designer, wife's going away outfit after they married.

#10 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 21:33

Should have pointed out that all six remaining Talbot 105's are raced and rallied by their owners because they are so user friendly.

They are also very competitive if you want them to be as 105's have won the major Pre War Sports Car race in 2014, LE Mans Classic and Alpine Trial . Can be used in Miglia Mille.

Would be a waste should the buyer not use it as even I agree they are not perfect from those car beauty contests called Concours .

#11 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,538 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 20:18

The colour of the cars was the same as George Roesch,the cars brilliant designer, wife's going away outfit after they married.

Thanks. That is a warming story.

#12 Duvall

Duvall

• 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 14:02

I started to notice these Talbot 105s a couple of years when I realised how successful they were in contemporary historic competition. Even though I really know little about them other than what I have read they do seem very good all round cars in both the Rallies and the Races

Then I saw them directly at the VSCC at Snetterton this year where one of the cars was even  driven to the circuit, raced, won and then drove home again when most of other slower cars were being put on trailers. Which left me even more impressed and inquisitive.

Being nosey and not knowing any of the people involved I dug a bit and found the race winning car was a 31 Team car. However there was another Talbot there, also a 1931 car which confusingly was much slower and sounded completely different. Can anybody explain to me why there was such a difference between the two ?  I know there was an article in Motorsport a while back that hinted that the Team cars had special lightweight bits in them.

For sure I am impressed as the performance of the Team car was quite phenomenal, I would love to have the money to go for the one coming up for auction soon as I understand that is a 34 car and was even quicker !

#13 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 18:24

One of my special pleasures at VSCC events years ago was watching Anthony Blight in BGH23. After the sound and fury of most racing cars, the big Talbots were a delightful contrast. Like swans among starlings.

#14 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 21:40

Impressed we have another member of the 105 fan club!

The Snetterton VSCC race was won by one of the well known Pace Products prepared works cars and the other car built by Ian Polson and only finished at 2 am on morning of the race so requires lots of sorting.Two totally different styles of car preparation.

The two cars sound different as the Pace cars have the Brooklnds based race exhaust and Ian Polson goes for the silent running normal design.The 31 cars were slightly lighter than the thirty four cars but the car for sale was developed throughout the thirties and became the quickest of all the 105's

The works car owners all prefer the boy racing raucous Brooklands design!

Notice in the Bonhams write up they forgot to mention the cars are Miglia Mille eligible which seem to sell cars.Dont know why but it does as one of the most overrated of events.

Let's see what happens at the sale as that cut and shut Lagonda made lots of dosh at revival and the Talbot is a way better car!

#15 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 17:14

So Bonhams with a bit of help from Pace Products sold car for 1.4 million pounds gross.

Pity that's it's gone to Germany.

At last the value represents gives a true representation of how good the cars are compared to other Pre War Sports Tourers.

The best of all the UK high chassis cars.