Photo

Uri Geller, F1 Mentor

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,542 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 14:23

I read a reference today that the eternally modest Uri Geller acted as mentor to some F1 drivers...

Over the years, Geller has attended a few races and appears to be a fan. He has lunched with Bernie Ecclestone and Nigel Mansell attended the ceremony to renew the Gellers' marriage vows. And in 2008, "Formula One sensation Lewis Hamilton last night summoned the powers of spoon-bender Uri Geller and the spirit world in his bid to become world champion." (Daily Star, 19 Oct 2008)

The most popular Geller/F1 story describes bending a spanner whilst on a visit to the Tyrrell pits as a guest of Ricardo Rosset (presumably 1998 season). 

Can anyone spill the beans on Uri's contributions to the sport?

Advertisement

#2 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 18:45

equal to those of werner erhard?????????????

#3 BRG

BRG

• 25,902 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 19:27

I also noticed this in Motor Sport today.  And am fascinated to know who these gullible idiots were.

#4 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,542 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 20:13

equal to those of werner erhard?????????????

Different, perhaps.

I recognised the name Werner Erhard in the context of "guru" but I didn't know that he was a racing driver. By luck or judgement, he picked an Argo to race: http://www.people.co...0074172,00.html

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 20:40

Maybe he can teach them new ways to bend the rules?

#6 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 21:58

Using some sort of hypnosis or misdirection during technical scrutineering, more like.

#7 TEJ

TEJ

• 85 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 23:00

I saw Erhard race in Portland at least once, film crew and all. The real racers were not impressed.

Tom

#8 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 23:21

Using some sort of hypnosis or misdirection during technical scrutineering, more like.

Maybe Red Bull used it with their 'flexy' wings!

#9 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,806 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 00:32

I saw Erhard race in Portland at least once, film crew and all. The real racers were not impressed.

Tom

Neither were they at Road Atlanta.

#10 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:36

for those of you who aren't aware of erhard's sordid story......

werner erhard was a self-help guru in the u.s. during the '70s and '80s..."est", erhard seminar training...and was one of the biggest con men to ever come down the pike. his real name is john paul rosenberg, an encyclopedia salesman from the eastern part of the u.s.

he made millions with his seminars and at one point decided to get into racing....super vees.

he took some of his millions and commissioned a movie about his racing..."today is for the championship: how to make the world work." it was pathetic to anyone who wasn't one of his minions.

he was a complete wanker.

he'd run someone off the road, they'd come up to him after the race, wanting to wring his neck, he'd smile his beatific smile, "i take full responsibility" and walk away.

he was not well-liked.

last rumor i heard was that he was teaching capitalism to the russian mob after the breakup of the ussr.

he hasn't been heard of or from for decades.

#11 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,230 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 22:33

I must confess I have never heard of Werner Erhard but I am going to look him up now!

I remember when Johnny Herbert had his F3000 accident at Brands and he appeared in a photo with Uri Geller during his recuperation, not sure whT it was for or if Uri was taking some credit for the recovery?? I also remeber Uri Geller claiming to have a hand in developing Ben Collins career, not sure if this was during his Top gear days though?

#12 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 19:27

i was stunned to see that erhard hasn't disappeared after all.

he's still out there being accepted as some kind of critical thinker.

amazing that he's not putting himself in the media spotlight.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Werner_Erhard

#13 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 242 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 21:17

Neither were they at Road Atlanta.

Nor Ontario.  The most impressive thing about him and his little band that I remember was the presence of several good looking female groupies.

Can't believe he ever won the five races claimed in the 1979 People article--must have been Regionals where he was the only Super Vee.  He didn't make much of an impact on the pro Super Vee racers.

#14 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:00

Nor Ontario.  The most impressive thing about him and his little band that I remember was the presence of several good looking female groupies.

what a chauvinist pig you are, going on about the poopsies in his inner circle and all.

you didn't see me writing about the one who was seriously enamored with one of the film crew. saw her and her physical attributes come to attention when they were in close physical proximity.

no sir, you won't see me stooping to such crass, crude and socially unacceptable ways of communicating about one of the world's foremost con men, er, uh, critical thinker's inner circle.

no siree, bob. not me.

so there. i certainly put you in your place you nattering nabob of, of, of...

never mind

:stoned: :stoned: :stoned:

ps

i sent you a pm sisyphus

Edited by Marc Sproule, 06 November 2014 - 07:30.

#15 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,806 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 15:29

what a chauvinist pig you are, going on about the poopsies in his inner circle and all.

you didn't see me writing about the one who was seriously enamored with one of the film crew. saw her and her physical attributes come to attention when they were in close physical proximity.

no sir, you won't see me stooping to such crass, crude and socially unacceptable ways of communicating about one of the world's foremost con men, er, uh, critical thinker's inner circle.

no siree, bob. not me.

so there. i certainly put you in your place you nattering nabob of, of, of...

never mind

:stoned: :stoned: :stoned:

ps

i sent you a pm sisyphus

We need pictures for more evidence. :cool:

#16 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 18:22

We need pictures for more evidence. :cool:

sorry, one of the few times in my career that i didn't have a camera in hand, much to my chagrin.

#17 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,806 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 19:12

Marc Sproule without a camera!!! Say it ain't so!!!!! Everyone head for the hills...the world is comin to an end!!! :cool:

#18 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 21:35

You expect us to believe that?!?

#19 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:17

You expect us to believe that?!?

what? that the world is coming to an end? or i didn't have a camera?

actually i did have a camera with me earlier in the day in question. it was a test session at sears point and along with erhard running his supervee, bob earl and tom gloy were there testing their new rt-1s. watching earhard and his crew was like watching a movie. earl and gloy were somewhat more reality oriented.

the scene around erhard's motorhome was where the camera was lacking. it was hard to keep a straight face. surreal does not begin to describe it.

i can't begin to express how stunned i was to find out that erhard is still doing his thing as a bullshit artist.

and people ask me why i stopped being a clinical psychologist.

the sound you hear is me shaking my head.

Advertisement

#20 oldtransamdriver

oldtransamdriver

• 228 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:28

Erhard finished 10th in the 79 Super Vee championship.  A friend once tried to get me to go to an EST meeting but I declined, but many famous people did take the training.

I saw him race at Mosport.

Robert Barg

#21 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:00

The most popular Geller/F1 story describes bending a spanner whilst on a visit to the Tyrrell pits as a guest of Ricardo Rosset (presumably 1998 season). 

Here is some more information on the "spanner bending" incident":

http://monkeywah.typ...er-spanner.html

Edited by Graham Clayton, 07 November 2014 - 09:01.

#22 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 459 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:58

Didn't Uri have a hand (sic) in the design of Spoon Curve at Suzuka, or was that a Japanese charlatan ?

#23 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:38

If Uri really could bend things without touching them, wouldn't his most useful contribution be to make something bend on an opposing car?  Something like the tappets, which would hobble the car but not endanger the driver.