* - - - - 1 votes

Jezza says Ricciardo the best in F1!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:49

Good one Jezza! Dan has been a real revelation in F1 this year. Could only imagine what he might have been like in a Merc this season. Hopefully Renault are able to get the engine up to scratch for 2015 so Dan can give Lewis and Nico a run for their money!

https://twitter.com/...029194622451714

Edited by gowebber, 03 November 2014 - 04:04.

Advertisement

#2 DeVol

DeVol

• 1,100 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:58

Aside from beating Vettel soundly, his aggressive, clean overtakes are what has really shown him to be a top driver. He's had some fantastic battles this year and loves dancing around his victim, making him guess, before lunging inside or outside. Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton they've all been victim to a slashing Ricciardo move.

Add in his refreshing personality and you have someone who has captured the imagination of F1 fans. Here in Australia they're really making a big deal of him, and rightly so.

#3 payinkind

payinkind

• 469 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:02

He's making the average Webber definitively average.

#4 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:09

He's making the average Webber definitively average.

Different rules and regulations tyres etc so hard to gauge how Mark would have gone this season. People seem to forget some of the amazing things Mark did in cars that were very average like his Jag days for example. Webber was no slouch and beat Rosberg and pretty much everyone else before Vettel. He also had some cracking drives too. 2 x Monaco winner takes ability and skill.

Anyway back on topic, Dan is a sensation and has taken things to a whole other level. he is the real deal. Those passing moves he has made this year have been awesome. A breath of fresh air in F1 all rolled up in that cheeky smile! I hope and pray he has the wheels under him next year that are good enough to take the fight to Mercedes

Edited by gowebber, 03 November 2014 - 04:12.

#5 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,598 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:15

Arguable.

#6 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:16

And so an new F1 myth is born....

#7 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:18

When you beat a driver as accomplished as Vettel by the margin he is there is no real surprise.

#8 DeVol

DeVol

• 1,100 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:20

I don't think anyone believes he's the best driver in F1, I certainly don't. Clarkson was just being controversial.

"Most surprising not-so-new Talent" perhaps, or "Most likeable and can drive bloody fast too" are more appropriate. Let's see how the kid goes for a couple more seasons before he can approach Alonso or Hamilton as "Best driver in F1".

#9 aguri

aguri

• 418 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:22

He is very very good at overtaking. Carries the cars momentum so well through consecutive corners and really plays tricks with the driver in front.

He is also awesome at managing tyres.

Regardless of your opinion of Red Bull, their pathway with STR is very good at developing 'complete' drivers. Also keeps the drivers humble because they have to spend a few seasons in a dodgy mid-field car before they get a shot with a front runner.

#10 pusko

pusko

• 990 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:37

He's incredible...might be he's even nr.1.
We'll see in a couple of seasons.

#11 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:44

Click bait opinion from Clarkson? And in other news, water is still wet!

#12 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,173 posts

Considering he's ventured to say this in a season where Hamilton's won 10 races and become the most-successful British driver of all time, I'd say that's pretty significant.

#13 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

How can you not love his overtaking moves?

#14 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,337 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:14

To see Daniel Ricciardo in F1 this year is like a breath of fresh air, he has shown people that it is possible to over take

drive on by. The bigger the name he passes the bigger the grin under the helmut   :D .

When you hear race commentators, and the people inside this sport  talk highly of him, he sure made them look at what he can do.

#15 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,353 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:36

Not at the top of the tree for me personally, but he's been brilliant all round this year. 

His overtaking has been a big season highlight for me. Aggressive but fair and clean as a whistle.

#16 Schuttelberg

Schuttelberg

• 326 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:38

This board is getting more and more about how bad Vettel is, how everyone is totally in love with Ricciardo because he's beating Vettel. Sometimes, I'm left wondering whether all this love for DR is because of his amazing talent or just because he's beating SV? 

For all the people who say DR is pasting SV, are the same people that will debate for 50+ pages about how JB didn't actually beat Hamilton in 2011 or Trulli didn't have the measure of Alonso in their time together. It's basically a précis that 'Vettel fluked into his four titles and was just lucky, while my favourite driver can only be beaten due to team sabotage/misfortune.'

In my opinion? 

I think DR has been better than SV. He's beaten him fair and square. I'm not going to argue about how many reliability gremlins x or y has had because it's obvious that on speed DR has SV. I like SV more, but accepting this doesn't make SV any lesser of a driver, or me any lesser a fan. Like every other sport, sportsmen/women have ups and downs in form. SV has not been at his best this year and who knows? DR might be a WDC very soon. I certainly believe so. It's very convenient to sit on a laptop and call a multi F1 champion a no good, over rated lucky chump. Reality is, no end of denial can take away those championships from him and only someone very naive and dare I say dumb would call a four time champion rubbish. If so is the case, the sport is rubbish and dumb and the concerned should take to another sport. 

How good is Ricciardo?

I'd say - Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Raikkonen and Button are top of the tree with Ricciardo sixth.

Edited by Schuttelberg, 03 November 2014 - 05:41.

#17 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:42

This board is getting more and more about how bad Vettel is, how everyone is totally in love with Ricciardo because he's beating Vettel. Sometimes, I'm left wondering whether all this love for DR is because of his amazing talent or just because he's beating SV? 

For all the people who say DR is pasting SV, are the same people that will debate for 50+ pages about how JB didn't actually beat Hamilton in 2011 or Trulli didn't have the measure of Alonso in their time together. It's basically a précis that 'Vettel fluked into his four titles and was just lucky, while my favourite driver can only be beaten due to team sabotage/misfortune.'

In my opinion? 

I think DR has been better than SV. He's beaten him fair and square. I'm not going to argue about how many reliability gremlins x or y has had because it's obvious that on speed DR has SV. I like SV more, but accepting this doesn't make SV any lesser of a driver, or me any lesser a fan. Like every other sport, sportsmen/women have ups and downs in form. SV has not been at his best this year and who knows? DR might be a WDC very soon. I certainly believe so. It's very convenient to sit on a laptop and call a multi F1 champion a no good, over rated lucky chump. Reality is, no end of denial can take away those championships from him and only someone very naive and dare I say dumb would call a four time champion rubbish. If so is the case, the sport is rubbish and dumb and the concerned should take to another sport. 

How good is Ricciardo?

I'd say - Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Raikkonen and Button are top of the tree with Ricciardo sixth.

You know you are the first poster to mention Seb in here, right?

#18 Schuttelberg

Schuttelberg

• 326 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:44

You know you are the first poster to mention Seb in here, right?

Sure?

#19 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:46

I don't think anyone believes he's the best driver in F1, I certainly don't. Clarkson was just being controversial.

"Most surprising not-so-new Talent" perhaps, or "Most likeable and can drive bloody fast too" are more appropriate. Let's see how the kid goes for a couple more seasons before he can approach Alonso or Hamilton as "Best driver in F1".

Yep it's a bit early to say he's the "best driver in F1".  For that you need to be consistently great year after year.

He has been extremely impressive this year though, and you could certainly make a strong argument for him being the best driver in F1 this season.  Just look at Vettel or Raikkonen this year to see how quickly things can change in F1.

Advertisement

#20 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:48

Since when was a TV entertainer an expert on F1?

#21 Schuttelberg

Schuttelberg

• 326 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:48

Different rules and regulations tyres etc so hard to gauge how Mark would have gone this season. People seem to forget some of the amazing things Mark did in cars that were very average like his Jag days for example. Webber was no slouch and beat Rosberg and pretty much everyone else before Vettel. He also had some cracking drives too. 2 x Monaco winner takes ability and skill.

Anyway back on topic, Dan is a sensation and has taken things to a whole other level. he is the real deal. Those passing moves he has made this year have been awesome. A breath of fresh air in F1 all rolled up in that cheeky smile! I hope and pray he has the wheels under him next year that are good enough to take the fight to Mercedes

I don't think Mark had any less speed than Seb. If anything, he was generally quicker in the high speed stuff while Seb was better on the brakes. Vettel simply adapted to the car better post 2010 and the Pirelli tyres and kept widening the gap with relentlessness. I also think, Mark's accident had a slight effect on him, but more than anything, the title decider at AD in 2010 must have surely affected him a lot. His attitude got very bitter after that and it was disappointing from Mark because I considered him as a very tough cookie.

Edited by Schuttelberg, 03 November 2014 - 05:49.

#22 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:02

You couldn't with a straight face rate Vettel, Raikkonen and Button ahead of Ricciardo. 

The top 3 are Hamilton, Alonso and Ricciardo. The rest are just out of some notion of nostalgia. Who is 4th is currently less clear, I think its a direct competition between Bottas, Vettel and Rosberg most likely. 

Edited by Thomas99, 03 November 2014 - 06:09.

#23 camberley

camberley

• 438 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:13

I rate Bottas higher than Ricciardo. Time will prove this to be true

#24 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:48

I'd say Dan has been the most exciting driver of this year... he's the only non-Mercedes winner, he's roundly trounced Vettel and effectively forced Seb into leaving for pastures new, his racecraft and gutsy overtaking have marvelled all and his sheer driving talent has shone through all season. Some of the stuff he's done this season on track has left me gobsmacked, and that is saying something!

I've been so impressed by him, and Clarkson is one of those people who takes joy in the more romantic parts of the sport, like the flamboyant driving of Gilles Villeneuve that left him convinced that Gilles was the greatest driver who ever lived (until he made the Top Gear Senna segment and reassessed his views...). I'm not comparing Ricciardo to Gilles but the reason Clarkson rates him so is for the same reason.

Edited by DanardiF1, 03 November 2014 - 06:49.

#25 Redback

Redback

• 1,283 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:55

He might be.  He might not be.

Quoted for future reference.

Can you tell us the lottery numbers for next week?

#26 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:47

Bottas beating Massa isn't nearly as impressive as Ricciardo beating Vettel. I rate Bottas too, but I'd say Ricciardo has been more impressive so far.

#27 Giz

Giz

• 734 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:50

I'd certainly put DR up there if he can keep Kvyat back next season

#28 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:54

Bottas beating Massa isn't nearly as impressive as Ricciardo beating Vettel. I rate Bottas too, but I'd say Ricciardo has been more impressive so far.

Yes, but Bottas too has beaten Vettel and I'd say Red Bull has been the better car this season. 

#29 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,869 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:04

Base on what I have seen this yerar....

I won't be surprised if Daniel will be rated first place in the Autocourse Top 10 this year.

Oh, I forgot....

Autocourse being a British publication and a British driver the moostl likely World champion....

Henri

#30 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:05

For 2014, he is driver of the year for me. It will need some years to make an accurate (by F1 standards  ;) ) assessment though.

#31 pRy

pRy

• 26,223 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:07

It's called an opinion.  :wave:

#32 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,256 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:12

Considering he's ventured to say this in a season where Hamilton's won 10 races and become the most-successful British driver of all time, I'd say that's pretty significant.

Hamilton only had to beat one driver this year to win......The car is more dominant than any in the Redbull era.

#33 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,920 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:14

He certainly looks pretty talented, but few rated Vettel above Hamilton and Alonso, so Ric beating his teammate is not the best yardstick. Hopefully the cars are more evenly matched next season so we can draw a more accurate comparison. Eitherway, RIC is good for F1

#34 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,256 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:16

Who has driven more exotica than Amber Lynns had shags, he might know a little bit about driving just a little bit more than most here. 

#35 Astro

Astro

• 406 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:22

I doubt it.

#36 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:23

He's certainly been a bit of a revelation this season, not just in his speed but his overtaking is also fantastic. Just needs to sort his starts out!

As for who is the 'best in F1', I'm sure we all have opinions on that. It generally changes season to season, but DR can be considered among the best at the very least.

#37 sycove

sycove

• 6 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:27

Certainly Driver with most potential, it has been a fantastic season for DR, consistently out performing SV and the only consistent threat to Williams.

#38 MJ999

MJ999

• 252 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:39

For me he is not the best yet but certainly in the Top 3 for sure and his overtakes have impressed me immensely. What really stands out is that he never seems to overdrive the car or do a crazy kamakazi move, he appears to be always in control.

Having said that i do also believe Redbull is the best car by far on the brakes, rarely see him lock up either and the overtake on Alonso yesterday was certainly impressive but he was in a much quicker car as he finished more than a minute infront of the Ferrari plus he got a bit lucky in Hungary with the safety car so he had much fresher tires compared to Hamilton and Fernando but still a very impressive driver.

#39 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,254 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:49

It's way too early to call. All the "top" drivers have had equally as impressive first few years as Ricciardo. Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Räikkönen, etc., were all praised at the beginning of their careers and some of them have lived up to the hype, but some have had mediocre years later in their history.

Let's see again in ten years, or a couple of big regulation changes later. Ricciardo has only driven four different cars, three of them in the RB family, and against three team-mates so his career is not yet impressive enough to be called "the best".

I'm not saying he's not been impressive so far (he has) but just take it easy before declaring him the best of the best. :)

Edited by tmekt, 03 November 2014 - 08:50.

Advertisement

#40 RustyRuss

RustyRuss

• 238 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:49

We'll see, but I think we are going to Overrate DR, because he beat an Overrated SV.

#41 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:53

Driver threads are banned. Topic closed.