- - - - -

Advertising

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 andysaint

andysaint

• 532 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 21:18

A lot is being made about the money issues in f1 at the moment and the commercial arrangements with CVC. But when you look at the grid there is a difference in the number and quality of sponsorship from 1st to 18th. Obviously that is because sponsors want to sponsor a winning team.

However looking at Nascar and indycar even the lower teams have decent sponsorship so if the commercial arrangements are too difficult to amend do they need to open up f1 to more sponsors?

For me, I have an average wage with an average house but the sponsorship I see is Rolex, Petronas, Martini ect... Sponsors I don't associate with. I associate more with the likes of Casio , Tesco fuel, Carlsberg The most common sponsor to be found in f1 is seemingly red bull and monster. So why can formula 1 seemingly not attract more sponsors?

It is expensive to sponsor a car but for some teams something is better than nothing at the moment. Does f1 want to be associated with common brands? I believe they don't at the moment. If they can open the doors to these types of sponsors, get f1 all over twitter, Facebook, YouTube ect... And allow more freedom and image rights surely this would resolve part of the problem without having to agree a new commercial agreement?

Advertisement

#2 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,282 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 23:07

What would be the benefit for a company like Tesco to be associated with F1? Nothing, much better ways to spend £20 million on a marketing campaign, sponsors aren't even allowed to run their own events at a race now, they have to do it through the paddock club.

#3 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 23:26

NASCAR is a series that operates in one country, where it has a large, fundamentally blue-collar fanbase both attending races and watching TV coverage. Not really surprising that sponsorship is attractive to US based "ordinary" companies. By contrast, F1 has a more diverse fanbase, predominantly in Western Europe but more than half the races are now outside Western Europe. Attending races in person is very expensive and TV coverage is increasingly moving behind paywalls. Not really surprising that F1 sponsorship is a limited market. Also not surprising that it is not attractive to Tesco - outside the UK, Tesco only operates in only three countries that host F1 Grands Prix: China, Hungary & Malaysia.

#4 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 23:50

F1 is not attractive to sponsors due to the horrible mismanagement by the big teams and Bernie and how overpriced livery space actually is.

IThe worst part is that it's only getting worse, as McLaren are finding out. 

#5 uffen

uffen

• 1,892 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 17:52

Of course F1 used to have "common" products behind them - cigarettes, to name the obvious one. They've been supported by appliances, pots and pans, condoms, gasoline, lubricants, tools, alcohol, and on and on. Now the so-called value is no longer there and only well-heeled firms can throw money at them. Even they seem to be learning a harsh lesson.

#6 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 22:20

There are 2 different markets in F1 promotion, the public consumer and the business network. The latter is now key since the dawn of new consumer marketing outlets. F1 since the late 90s has never been about just 'advertising'.  Good discussion here:- http://forums.autosp...w-does-it-work/