- - - - -

Teams with more than two drivers under contract

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,839 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:19

With the current Sauber drivers situation in mind: What teams had more than two drivers under contract and it got a problem?

Of course we have some teams in the past who raced with more than two drivers with drivers beeing replaced by other drivers or the Red Bull situation in 2005 with Klien and Liuzzi to share one seat. And some centuries go there were more than two cars allowed in one race.

But were there situations simular to the current Sauber situation?

Advertisement

#2 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,326 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:36

Arrows comes to mind, Verstappen having a deal for 2002, but Arrows signed Frentzen and Bernoldi as well.

#3 george1981

george1981

• 1,366 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:42

With the current Sauber drivers situation in mind: What teams had more than two drivers under contract and it got a problem?

Of course we have some teams in the past who raced with more than two drivers with drivers beeing replaced by other drivers or the Red Bull situation in 2005 with Klien and Liuzzi to share one seat. And some centuries go there were more than two cars allowed in one race.

But were there situations simular to the current Sauber situation?

i think Arrows had this problem when they dropped Verstappen for Frentzen in 2002. That was midseason though. I'm not there's been a situation where 4 drivers think they have contracts for the following season.

*Beaten to it by DutchQuicksilver.

Edited by george1981, 09 November 2014 - 10:42.

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,913 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 14:44

BRM had plans to run something like 9 drivers in one season in the early seventies - a central core of four and a rotating line-up of local heroes in their respective races.  Talking about the likes of Soler-Roig and Eaton.

Brabham signed up both Fabis for 1984, Teo in races that did not clash with CART and Corrado for the ones which did.  Always wondered if Teo landed that one when he stabbed his fellow drivers in the back at Kyalami in 1982. 

#5 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 14:57

McLaren 1993: Andretti, Häkkinen, Senna. Politics, mishaps, indecision.

#6 Sarkis

Sarkis

• 279 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 20:41

i think Arrows had this problem when they dropped Verstappen for Frentzen in 2002. That was midseason though. I'm not there's been a situation where 4 drivers think they have contracts for the following season.

*Beaten to it by DutchQuicksilver.

That was actually during the offseason, with Verstappen having a contract for the 2002 season and Arrows still signing Frentzen, who ended up partnering Bernoldi. Verstappen sued and won, though I'm not sure if he ever collected given Arrows' demise.

Edited by Sarkis, 09 November 2014 - 20:41.

#7 pathogen

pathogen

• 199 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 21:08

I am not sure if March in 1976 with Peterson-Brambilla-Stuck without counting a group of trully private teams like Merzario, Ian Schecker, Ribeiro...

#8 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,467 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 21:17

McLaren 1993: Andretti, Häkkinen, Senna. Politics, mishaps, indecision.

Good example, and Senna was on a race by race deal - imagine if Alonso suggested that now. They won't even let him have a year by year deal, it seems. 

#9 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,145 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 21:31

Mika Salo, Tora Takagi, Pedro Diniz ( Walkinshaw tried to argue it in court) and Pedro De La Rosa for 1999.

Eddie Jordan argued he still had Fisichella under contract while he had already signed Ralf Schumacher and Damon Hill for 1998.

Frenzten had a deal with Jordan for 2002 all the while Sato and Fisichella had been signed. Even Alesi said he had one for 2002.

Williams had a three won't go into two scenario for 2001 with Ralf, Montoya, and Button.

#10 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,913 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 21:58

I am not sure if March in 1976 with Peterson-Brambilla-Stuck without counting a group of trully private teams like Merzario, Ian Schecker, Ribeiro...

I think McLaren had themselves in a similar bind a couple of years before because they signed up Marlboro as a sponsor when Yardley was already on board.  So they ran Hailwood as a third works entry in Yardley colours.