Where will Jenson go in 2015?

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#1 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,818 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 22:45

Possibilities I can see:

• Retained by McLaren (if they have any sense and want to have a shot at WCC)
  • In the event of 3-car teams, maybe McLaren, Ferrari or Red Bull (surely RB won't want to have 2 inexperienced drivers alongside one not very experienced driver?)
  • WEC team (Toyota or Porsche)

He's clearly not ready to leave F1, so he'll only go to WEC if he has no good F1 options.

Hopefully in Abu Dhabi, he'll get another chance to remind people how good he is.

Advertisement

#2 Ducks

Ducks

• 829 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 22:49

Maybe he should do the BTCC, he's good at racing fairly wheel to wheel. :up:

#3 BARHonda006

BARHonda006

• 541 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 22:52

Maybe he should do the BTCC, he's good at racing fairly wheel to wheel. :up:

You think that's all he's good enough for? He deserves and is better than any btcc driver.

Edited by BARHonda006, 09 November 2014 - 22:54.

#4 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 24,667 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 23:04

You think that's all he's good enough for? He deserves and is better than any btcc driver.

To be honest, most F1 drivers tend to be midfield (or worse) in touring cars, that is no comment on Jenson's abilities though, I rate him very high.

#5 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 23:05

He'll wait for McLaren's decision. In case they choose for Magnussen I suspect Button to focus on doing more triathlons and at some point sign for WEC team.

#6 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,049 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 23:08

McLaren should sign Button on a race by race basis. He's driven excellently since his seat has been in doubt.

#7 SerratedEdge

SerratedEdge

• 122 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 23:17

McLaren should sign Button on a race by race basis. He's driven excellently since his seat has been in doubt.

Or perhaps provide a better car than the efforts of 2013/14?

#8 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 23:23

Hopefully he'll still be in F1, someone has to pay for the journos to eat.

#9 JimmyTheFox

JimmyTheFox

• 717 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 23:24

McLaren hopefully, Alonso wants him to stay in F1 and be his teammate:

Fernando Alonso says Jenson Button should remain in Formula 1 next season. Alonso's move from Ferrari to McLaren for 2015 is set to be confirmed shortly, but it is not clear whether McLaren want to retain Jenson Button or Kevin Magnussen alongside him. "Hopefully he will stay," said Alonso. "He is a very talented driver, a great character and good person. People like him are good for our sport. "Whether we will see him on the grid, you need to ask McLaren."

#10 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 23:24

I would prefer that he remains in F1 in a competitive seat because that's what his performance over the years still deserves, but the possibility of joining one of the WEC manufacturer teams is interesting and something that would keep Jenson at one of the highest levels of motorsport and allow him the opportunity to win another of the most prestigious events in motorsport in Le Mans... JB is a Monaco winner and an F1 World Champion and a Le Mans trophy would sit very nicely alongside those.

My preference for a team in WEC? Toyota... because I'm a fan, his bessie mate Ant Davidson is there and the car itself is just incredible. I would've voted for it as the racing car of the year in the Autosport voting if it wasn't for the Mercedes rocketship.

#11 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,823 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 00:05

Realistically, as far as F1 goes, it's McLaren or nothing. No seats available at any of the other teams with any possibility of challenging for wins (Mercedes, Williams, Red Bull & Ferrari) and unless Alonso decides to take a sabbatical, being at McLaren would mean playing the Felipe Massa role - does he really want that?

Frankly, if Toyota are offering a seat, I think he should accept it. without waiting for Ron to let Honda make up his mind. It would be a poetically appropriate two fingers to Honda as well.

Edited by Amphicar, 10 November 2014 - 00:06.

#12 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,250 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 00:27

Honda will hopefully be on his side. Button effectively won the championship in their car even if it was branded BrawnGP

#13 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 00:28

Dont think he wants to stay at Mclaren after all these shennanigans of late.

#14 BARHonda006

BARHonda006

• 541 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 00:28

Hopefully he'll still be in F1, someone has to pay for the journos to eat.

Is that meant to be funny?

#15 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:14

All of the Jenson clothing on the McLaren site just got discounted...

#16 Hamandeggs

Hamandeggs

• 360 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:29

1.Red Bull could be a great option....how rigid is their promote from within policy tho

2.Stay at McLaren

3.A romantic notion of Lotus dumping Pastornogood and Jensen helping bring them back to competitiveness with Groj......  

#17 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,818 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:02

It looks like a lot of the McLaren Mercedes stuff has been discounted, including items for Kevin.

http://www.mclarenst...e.aspx?category|category_root|48835=Collections&category|cat_48835|48865=Replica%20Teamwear

#18 BadVoice

BadVoice

• 266 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:28

He wont be in F1 no seats avaliable McLaren closed the doors of him joining another team by dangling the carrot for too long. By the time Button realised it was too late. That said suprised Button had not made alternative arrangements just in case, as his contract was coming to end in 2014.

#19 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:32

What alternatives are there for Button when teams are drooling over 16-20 year olds...

Edited by discover23, 10 November 2014 - 02:36.

Advertisement

#20 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,459 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:00

Yair but, yair but... (and for Kev, as BaldBill noted) might this not be connected to the fact that much of this stuff carries the logos of Boss and Mercedes, both of which will only be associated with the team for one more race?

#21 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:19

Jenson has the most annoying radio face in F1. Sounds like a sick frog in a swimming pool. That certainly won't be missed.

#22 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,032 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:41

Ah, you see, you're clearly confused. Radio where you can see someone's face is called television. ;)

Edited by Mat13, 10 November 2014 - 06:41.

#23 MikeMM

MikeMM

• 884 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:41

Hopefully he will stay at McLaren.

#24 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:35

If he can't stay in McLaren there is no point to countinue in F1, most of the teams are already full and probably he has no money to buy a seat. I rather have him go to another competition with dignity than staying in a team that hardly is going to score points, specially if the 3 cars thing happens.

Said that, I want Alonso-Button, keep Button for one more year, if he does well, keep him for a second year, if not, hire a young driver.

#25 SonJR

SonJR

• 441 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:03

I'm beginning to think McLaren will keep him, just so they can put him through the wringer again late 2015 and get similar improved performances out of him :stoned:

Unfortunately for Button, he may be the victim of McLaren not being able to 'park' Magnussen anywhere for a year.

Button has been solid all year, but particularly impressive in the last couple of races, Austin excluded, and I think he'll have made McLaren reconsider him. His qualifying still lacks something sometimes, but in the race I dare say he's a cut above Magnussen - no disrepect intended - and I don't see K-Mag upping his game to such an extent next year that he'd do better. If you truly, honestly, ruthlessly go with the best two for 2015 as McLaren declared they will, you pick Button to race alongside Alonso.

#26 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,788 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:13

Even if Jenson is out of F1 next year, 2016 is still a possibility when seats open up again. 

#27 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:20

If F1 doesn't work out, then it's surely going to be WEC for Button. Although the romantic in me would like to see him have a go at the Indy 500....

#28 Kraken

Kraken

• 980 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:36

Even if Jenson is out of F1 next year, 2016 is still a possibility when seats open up again. 

There will be a whole crop of 18 year olds with fat wallets by then though.

#29 Skizo

Skizo

• 589 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:41

and probably he has no money to buy a seat.

:rotfl: Sorry,yeah im pretty sure he could easily buy a seat,15 years in F1,and he was payed very well in Honda and at Mclaren.But why would he?He was racing for very little in Brawn because he was nearly out of F1,after 2 horrible years in EarthDream,and there was a chance the car is a winner,his teammate was signed on race by race basis.Since then he is a Champion,and proved he is up with the very best,he will not pay for a seat.

There will be a whole crop of 18 year olds with fat wallets by then though.

I can only see Jenson coming back in a top team in 2016 if he do something rare,like being a Champion in other highly rated series.

Edited by Skizo, 10 November 2014 - 08:43.

#30 smr

smr

• 1,904 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:49

Mclaren said they want the best two drivers possible. If alonso goes that means it would be him and button.

So unless mclaren and boullier are liars then he will be at mclaren.

This is why i wont support mclaren anymore if button leaves. I dont like two faced people who lie!

#31 stenovitz

stenovitz

• 124 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:56

Jenson and Alonso @ McLaren looks like a very strong setup.

Though 34 and 35 years of age next season I see at least 3 further seasons in each of them, enough time to build up the McLaren-Honda as a serious WCC contender.

As i Dane, ofcourse I hope for a seat for KMag, and think he belongs in F1, not for a one shot. But Jenson certainly deserves to stay too.

Jenson shows he is still eager to win, one of the best in the field to nurse his car and tires.

I hope he will stay at McLaren, they need him in the build up of the McLaren-Honda. He knows the engineers, the engineers are used to his feedback.

If he's not able to get a decent F1 seat, he'll surely be the best endurance racer the world has ever seen. And yes, I'm writing as a Danish Tom K-fan, too   :p

Edited by stenovitz, 10 November 2014 - 08:57.

#32 DeVol

DeVol

• 1,100 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:06

McLaren are about to throw ridiculous cash at a less than enthused Alonso, so they probably figure they can't afford Jenson's salary and will thus opt for the cheap but raw Kevvie instead.

Fine, save 10 mil or so. But fact remains, Jenson is just better than Kevvie right now. If McLaren really want points in 2015, you'd blow an extra 10 mil to guarantee that would you not? Particularly if you believe Dennis and his claims about a fast 2015 recovery.

I find the situation quite strange.

#33 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:10

:rotfl: Sorry,yeah im pretty sure he could easily buy a seat,15 years in F1,and he was payed very well in Honda and at Mclaren.

:lol: Do you seriously think Button is going to waste his personal fortune to drive a shitty car next year?, use you common sense, I'm talking about sponsors, do you think Button can get a sponsor that will give him 20-25€ millions to drive for Sauber, Force India or that kind of team?.

The answer is NO.

#34 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 703 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:00

Red Bull as third driver, will be announced by the end of the month after they confirm three car teams for 2015 to pave the way for customer cars from 2016.

#35 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:19

I can't see him being in F1 next year if Alonso goes to McLaren.

He probably isn't going to out drive Alonso, so what is the point in having him over a much cheaper KMag.

#36 aguri

aguri

• 418 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:26

I dont understand why Button has to be paid the same in 2015 as he was for the last few years.

I'm sure he'd accept less money if it kept him at Mclaren and in a race seat. He's a bloke with a bit of perspective and no obvious financial need, he might even drive for nothing.

Edited by aguri, 10 November 2014 - 11:26.

#37 MikeMM

MikeMM

• 884 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:28

He probably isn't going to out drive Alonso, so what is the point in having him over a much cheaper KMag.

Button will score many points for WCC and maybe podiums(wins depending on Mclaren speed) in races with tricky weather conditions.

#38 Tombstone

Tombstone

• 1,392 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:32

Follow the Dollar.

All other things being equal (sponsorship, for example) if paying a $15M* retainer for Button rather than a $5M* for Magnussen reults in a higher WCC finish and $10,000,000.01 more dollars then signing JB over KM then they will sign JB. If not, they won't. 

Simplistic perhaps, but the underlying meaning is that McLaren have the raw data and will decide to do what is best for the team.

*made up figures.

Edited by Tombstone, 10 November 2014 - 11:39.

#39 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,236 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:32

As a McLaren fan, I've always liked Jenson.

However, his anti-McLaren rhetoric over the past few weeks makes me feel he can now get to ****

Advertisement

#40 BARHonda006

BARHonda006

• 541 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:38

However, his anti-McLaren rhetoric over the past few weeks makes me feel he can now get to ****

What anti-McLaren rhetoric, he hasn't slagged the team off publicly....

#41 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 2,285 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:40

I think JB's chances of staying with McLaren improved significantly this weekend...he has also proved that he can handle intense team mate competition both on and off the track without throwing his toys out of the pram.

If not then I think WEC for sure..

#42 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,236 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:41

Did you not see his interview with Martin Brundle yesterday?

#43 MikeMM

MikeMM

• 884 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:41

Welcome   -100 mln Alonso?

And by the way Button has never said anything against the team.

#44 MikeMM

MikeMM

• 884 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:42

Did you not see his interview with Martin Brundle yesterday?

Nope.

#45 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:45

In that interview he said that after Brawn he wanted to drive for a team that could guarantee him a winning car, and that McLaren delivered that the first 3 years but not the last 2 years. 

#46 Tombstone

Tombstone

• 1,392 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:52

In that interview he said that after Brawn he wanted to drive for a team that could guarantee him a winning car, and that McLaren delivered that the first 3 years but not the last 2 years. 

I'm a McLaren fan but it's quite clear they've fielded complete dogs for two years on the trot.

#47 MikeMM

MikeMM

• 884 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:54

He told the truth.

Even Boulier and Dennis admit that the car has not been good last two years and thus all ths reshuffling among engineers.

#48 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,236 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:54

They have indeed.

But if you want to stay, don't go mouthing off.

Win together, lose together.

#49 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:03

They have indeed.

But if you want to stay, don't go mouthing off.

Win together, lose together.

Which driver only says nice things about the car, even when it's crap?

I wasn't aware that Mary Poppins was in line for a Mclaren contract next year.  Then again that might be the one rumour I've missed.

#50 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,391 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:05

Sounds like more statement of fact really. However - even when he has had a good car (2010, 2011, 2012) he has thrown away some very solid points with minor problems, poor races or his evergreen 'balance problems'. If it hadn't been for the Brawn car, Button would have been out of F1 years ago. Personally speaking, I think he should be very thankful for the years (and many millions) that he has been gifted by the foresight of Ross Brawn in the way he restructured the Honda team to be able to produce the Brawn car that put Button in a position to even be considered by a team like McLaren.

Something else that has been sitting in the back of my mind with regard to Button/Alonso is that McLaren will be very eager not to have a repeat of 2007 and will most likely put a solid No.2 driver in the second car. Button with his mind games with Hamilton likely as not isn't going to settle for a No.2 drive so that really is the biggest set back he could have for staying put next year. He really hasn't shown a clean pair of heels to Magnusson either - so there just doesn't appear to be any real upside to keeping him.