• 20,685 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:07

Motorsport.com: Qatar poised to join F1 calendar by 2017

Advertisement

#2 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:09

Another circuit, probably at the expense of a european one too.

#3 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:10

Actually I am somewhat surprised it hasn't happened sooner as Qatar is a top 3 country in the world by GDP and already hosts a Moto GP race. Always felt like a "matter of time"...

#4 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:17

God I hope not, Losail's a terrible circuit for car racing.

#5 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:17

It's not a bad track, by mid-East standards, I think it will suck for F1 though.

#6 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:21

Good or bad for racing? Go judge for yourself... Good or bad for Bernie? Probably

Edit: After watching the onboard, I conclude there are to many fast and challenging corners for Tilke to be able to keep his fingers from modifying the layout into something more like Abu Dhabi 2.0  :lol:

Edited by Richard T, 11 November 2014 - 16:25.

#7 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:40

As already said, God no, it's horrible for car racing.

#8 Cozzie

Cozzie

• 171 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:53

as are all Tilkedromes. 

His love in with Bernie has been an utter disaster for F1, far eclipsing engine noise, pirelli tyres etc.

#9 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:27

Looks like Hungaroring on steroids.

#10 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,068 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:45

I'm as excited by this as I am by the Qatar world cup  :rolleyes:

#11 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,535 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:51

Stop moaning. The sound of a full grid of ten cars should be enough to thrill.

#12 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 19:01

only after a rebuild by northkorean slaves

#13 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 20:56

God I hope not, Losail's a terrible circuit for car racing.

Heat, Sand and dodgy track...sounds good!

#14 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 21:55

Actually I am somewhat surprised it hasn't happened sooner as Qatar is a top 3 country in the world by GDP and already hosts a Moto GP race. Always felt like a "matter of time"...

Top 3?  Actually, according the World Bank, it is #50, behind Algeria and just ahead of Peru.  So perhaps they should have GPs too?

And as they are the main financiers of the mad beheading jihadists, I don;t think any civilized person should touch them with a bargepole.

#15 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,783 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 22:02

I believe B2B (or J2J, as it were) services are more Qatar's style.

Sign me up for the Grand Prix of Peruvia though.

#16 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 22:21

Well, at least we're going to Azerbaijan.

#17 warp

warp

• 1,437 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:31

Top 3?  Actually, according the World Bank, it is #50, behind Algeria and just ahead of Peru.  So perhaps they should have GPs too?

And as they are the main financiers of the mad beheading jihadists, I don;t think any civilized person should touch them with a bargepole.

They are the 3rd... Per capita. You must be looking at the Total GDP.

http://data.worldban...-last&sort=desc

Depending on the time of the year, it may not be as hot as people think and if anything you can race at night in Losail.

Have you been to Qatar?

Not defending their dodgy ways to attract world class events or labour market (they are crap, honestly) but I never felt threatened in the 2+yrs I spent in Qatar (not that long ago).

Honestly, they are no different that many other places in the ME (UAE, Bahrain, Oman, etc.) and the governments of India, Nepal, North Korea, Pakistan, etc. are just as guilty for allowing their citizens to be treated like that... and most of them work for companies from their place of origin. 

At any rate, I'd rather have another San Marino Grand Prix.

#18 AllenT

AllenT

• 219 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:41

Lol ISIS funder Qatar  in f1 cmon.

#19 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,483 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:23

I really like this track tbh and it's 10x better than Bahrain and Abu Dhabi.

Gravel traps? Yup, it's got them in spades. Challenging corners? Yes, it's got a lot of them. Abundance of mickey mouse slow corners? None at all.

It's basically like Hungary but less technical. With good tyre choices it could lead to fantastic racing..the last sector is fantastic!

Advertisement

#20 David1976

David1976

• 1,638 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:45

Agree with the majority that it looks awful for F1 racing.  Overtaking will be a nightmare.

#21 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 19:37

They are the 3rd... Per capita. You must be looking at the Total GDP.

http://data.worldban...-last&sort=desc

Yes of course, because it is the total that is the relevant figure isn't it?  

#22 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 19:48

No per capita GDP is pretty important. It's why places like Kuwait are making money faster than they can spend or invest it.

#23 warp

warp

• 1,437 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 21:47

They are all important... but the Per Capita tells you (figuratively speaking) how much money you can distribute to each and every one of your people.

Put in other terms... Qatar has a ridiculous amount of money to distribute among its tiny population.

They have the 3rd largest reserves of Natural Gas in the world and they hold a population of less than 3 million people.

It is not going to last forever, but they will have a hell of a good time for the next 30 or so years.

It is pretty much the same for most of the Gulf States, particularly the Emirates.

Back to F1, as long as it is not done at the expense of a good track, I would be ok with it. Say dump Korea or some other Tilkedrome. Bring back Imola!

Edited by warp, 12 November 2014 - 22:00.

#24 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 22:07

Another circuit on the calender is just a  matter of time and will be a night race and will likely be the penultimate race 

Edited by LORDBYRON, 12 November 2014 - 22:08.

#25 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:57

No per capita GDP is pretty important. It's why places like Kuwait are making money faster than they can spend or invest it.

It's important to the individual certainly!  :D

But whether you can afford to piss your national wealth down the toilet that is CVC is about how much you have got collectively.  If your population is 3 and each is getting $1m a year, your total GDP is only $3m and we all know that Bernie won't get out of bed for less than $100m.   So can Qatar afford this if Algeria (which also has a sea of gas) and Peru (which is finding gas too) can't - or won't?   Or is this bid because Qatar is expecting to lose the World Cup over the bribes and the impossibility of playing football in the summer heat there.

#26 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:59

Looks like another cr*p middle east venue, with no fanbase but lots of corrupt and oppressive government money. Just the way Bernie likes it.

#27 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,783 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:01

Put it this way. The higher your per capita GDP, the less likely you're going to have your huddled masses yearning to breathe free on the doorstep of the palace asking why you're building Scalextrics in the desert and not schools and hospitals.

Mind you, Bahrain (12th, according to the IMF) still manages it.

Edited by Risil, 13 November 2014 - 12:02.

#28 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:36

I mentioned the GPD, because a high ranking shows that you have quite a lot of money to "burn"/invest. And Qatar certainly does have. They host a Moto GP race, they hold top-class competitions in various sports competitions, plus they host the World Cup in 2022. They may be a relatively small country, but they are well off and can take on big projects. Hence F1 makes a lot of sense, was waiting for this to happen one day to be honest.

#29 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 15:23

I dislike the idea of yet another Middle East GP but can't be too bothered. It's still two years from now on, and at this rate I'm finished with F1 before that.

#30 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 15:56

So can Qatar afford this if Algeria (which also has a sea of gas) and Peru (which is finding gas too) can't - or won't?  

It's funny you mention Algeria. They have similar total GDP to Qatar, guess which country has 10x as many people as the other?

#31 Cozzie

Cozzie

• 171 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 18:18

seperated at birth..

sepp blater & Bernie ecclestone

Going to hell in a handcart

Fifa & CVC

Who cares what the fans want or think.

#32 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 18:45

That track sucks nuts.

Even a bunch of old blokes in a bunch of old Indycars couldn't make it fun.

#33 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,870 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 18:59

as are all Tilkedromes. 

His love in with Bernie has been an utter disaster for F1, far eclipsing engine noise, pirelli tyres etc.

Where is the unlike button where you need one?

Oh there! :down:

#34 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 20:00

It's funny you mention Algeria. 

Not really.  I mentioned it because it had a similar GDP to Qatar (and Peru).  Try to keep up.

#35 Leprechau

Leprechau

• 204 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 20:28

Total is useless data. Poor countries like China, India, Brazil have quite high GDPs but that's only because they have big population.

Conversely, places like Finland, Sweden have very small GDPs but their per capita's is the top.

The poorest the country, ie, the lowest it's per capita GDP, the more the government should invest in health care and education.

Qatar is pretty safe on those basic needs, so they have extra money to "waste" with extravaganza a la F1. Finland, Sweden could possibly host GPs too, but they are too responsible to better apply their money on.

@warp, Sadly Korea is already out and that track is much better than crappy Imola tbh

#36 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 20:33

Total is useless data. Poor countries like China, India, Brazil have quite high GDPs but that's only because they have big population.

Conversely, places like Finland, Sweden have very small GDPs but their per capita's is the top.

And which of those have F1 rounds?

#37 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 21:27

Not really.  I mentioned it because it had a similar GDP to Qatar (and Peru).  Try to keep up.

But that mostly supports the argument for per-capita GDP. Qatar is flush. Algeria, less so.

#38 warp

warp

• 1,437 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 22:08

Funny irrelevant fact... Qatar has a Gas-To-Liquids plant that they use to produce high quality base oils and fuels. Ferrari is using Shell oils made from that stock and they produce jet fuel for (doh!) Qatar Airways.

I have been at both Qatar and Algeria. Two very different countries with very different realities. But if one of those have money to burn is Qatar. If one of those can hold a GP is Qatar.

Algerians couldn't be bothered with F1 as they are crazy about football, they rather have a World Cup... but I guess they don't have the money to buy one. Apparently Qatar can and they have the same GDP, go figure.

I am not in favour of a Qatar GP or any other boring GP and I rather see more GP's coming back to Europe or the Americas.

Edited by warp, 13 November 2014 - 22:10.

#39 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 20:38

The sh!t has hit the fan about FIFA, the World Cup and Qatar's....let's say, slightly suspect winning bid. It may all end in tears.

Fortunately for Qatar, bribing the F1 promoters to get a GP is the accepted standard practice, so they are on safer ground with this.

Advertisement

#40 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 20:55

I think it's fine. FIFA scandals never seem to 'stick' and in general WC/Olympic controversies never really get going, and are always washed away once the event starts. Plus Qatar is 2022(?) and that's many many news cycles away.

For example, almost no one is talking about Sochi 2018

#41 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 20:59

For example, almost no one is talking about Sochi 2018

Apparently, the Russians have disposed of all their computers from that period and so can't recall any of the details of how they won the 2018 WC.   :rolleyes:

#42 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,783 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 22:53

Apparently, the Russians have disposed of all their computers from that period and so can't recall any of the details of how they won the 2018 WC.   :rolleyes:

And their Gmail passwords! Perhaps they got their IT department on recommendation from Rupert Murdoch.

#43 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,160 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:17

Update: the latest proposal is to have a street race in Lusail (not to be confused with the existing circuit at Losail), a new city under construction as part of the country's hosting of the 2022 World Cup.  However, the Bahrain organisers apparently have a veto over a rival Grand Prix taking place on their neighbour's soil.

#44 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:20

Out of interest, did they not veto the Abu Dhabi GP then?

#45 Brackets

Brackets

• 5,393 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:24

I really like this track tbh and it's 10x better than Bahrain and Abu Dhabi.

Gravel traps? Yup, it's got them in spades. Challenging corners? Yes, it's got a lot of them. Abundance of mickey mouse slow corners? None at all.

It's basically like Hungary but less technical

I’m old enough to remember the days when the Hungaroring was the most hated track on the calendar. Slow, dusty, and the very definition of Mickey Mouse (I mean apart from two smaller circles on top of a big one).

And I’m not old.

#46 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:19

I’m old enough to remember the days when the Hungaroring was the most hated track on the calendar. Slow, dusty, and the very definition of Mickey Mouse (I mean apart from two smaller circles on top of a big one).

And I’m not old.

Hungary isn't really mickey mouse at all. Personally, its one of my favourite tracks to drive with all sorts of fun sections. Its just too small and tight for F1.

#47 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 13:38

Hungary isn't really mickey mouse at all. Personally, its one of my favourite tracks to drive with all sorts of fun sections. Its just too small and tight for F1.

True, but up to the early 2000's when the Tilkedromes started to proliferate that was very much the perception of the track.

2 Middle Eastern races is more than enough, someone tell Qatar to bugger off they're not wanted.

#48 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 13:46

small and tight is never a bad thing  :rotfl:

Edited by kraduk, 12 January 2015 - 13:47.

#49 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,185 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 19:01

Out of interest, did they not veto the Abu Dhabi GP then?

They didn't

#50 McLaren

McLaren

• 1,123 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 19:27

In that case.. I am sure a large sum of money went from Abu Dhabi ------> Bahrain to secure their race!!