Photo
* * - - - 8 votes

V8 back and competition back

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

Poll: V8 back and competition back (265 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you welcome the V8 engine if it was reintroduced?

1. Yes, because it produced better sound (63 votes [20.13%])

Percentage of vote: 20.13%

2. Yes, because the new formula is far too complex (32 votes [10.22%])

Percentage of vote: 10.22%

3. Yes, because we would have competition again (42 votes [13.42%])

Percentage of vote: 13.42%

4. No (176 votes [56.23%])

Percentage of vote: 56.23%

Is a DRIVER title with an ultra-dominant car as worthy as a title which was grabbed through fierce battles?

1. Yes (163 votes [61.51%])

Percentage of vote: 61.51%

2. No (102 votes [38.49%])

Percentage of vote: 38.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MotorsportFerrari

MotorsportFerrari

• 215 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:41

Horner wants the V8 engines back into the scene. You could argue that with the reitroduction lots of money would go lost which had been invested in the new era.

Personally I hate the new sound, the GP2 cars are much louder then F1 cars which is a big shame. As a regulat spectator on the track I want to hear sreaming engines.

On the other hand, I am fed up with Formula 1 which hasn't got any competiton. Mercedes win every single practice session, qualy and race. It will kill F1 sooner or later, but rather sooner.

Advertisement

#2 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:46

"It's louder!" What an absurd criteria.

#3 Cacarella

Cacarella

• 1,111 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:49

This is political positioning.  Horner is threating Mercedes with a rule change for 2016 which will only require majority agreement if Mercedes don't agree to a partial engine unfreeze in 2015.

I think Wolfe said something this past weekend that they would leave the sport if V8's came back, so I'm guessing it was discussed (or threatened) during the engine manufacturer's meetings.

#4 MotorsportFerrari

MotorsportFerrari

• 215 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:49

A fan wants to see F1 cars which look superfast on track and which sream like hell. That's what scares you and fascinate you on track.

The promoters are also aware of that and have already complained of that to Bernie.

#5 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 692 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:51

yeah who cares about sound!? its so lame! i personally have always watched f1 on mute whilst i wear noise cancelling headphones so i cant hear anything at all.

#6 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:51

*Cough* Sore Looser *Cough*

#7 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:52

A fan wants to see F1 cars which look superfast on track and which sream like hell. That's what scares you and fascinate you on track.

The promoters are also aware of that and have already complained of that to Bernie.

"A fan"? Which fan is that?

#8 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,449 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:54

A return to the old engines sounds superficially like getting the best of both worlds, getting back noise and evading development costs. But F1 has to go green(er), or at least appear to do so in order to survive, and that means having to develop new engines in the future anyway. Horner's comments represent nothing but short-termist greed.

#9 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:56

For those who want the new engines to stay, don't panic. Mercedes, Renault and Honda will all leave if they go back to the V8's because they all threatened to quit if they didn't switch the new engines in the first place. It will be a farce if we are only left with Ferrari engines. So a switch back to V8's is off the cards here.

For those who want the old V8's back, "tough luck". But I will remind you that no dominance has ever lasted forever so I doubt the current one will. And previous dominations never killed the sport, so I doubt the current one will.

#10 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:59

No. It's a dumb idea, not so surprisingly coming from Horner. The guy is a real headliner, and spews BS on a near-Bernie level.

#11 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 16:59

Yes!

#12 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,065 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:00

I would prefer V8s, but ONLY with competition and development. I HATE the frozen engines, no matter the formula.

#13 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:02

What the hell is the obsession with those V8 engines. They sounded awful and were worse than the units they replaced. If you must 'bring something back' then for goodness sake make it the V10's.

Edited by superden, 11 November 2014 - 17:02.

#14 John Player

John Player

• 600 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:02

no

i want v10s and v12s

#15 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,065 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:05

What the hell is the obsession with those V8 engines. They sounded awful and were worse than the units they replaced. If you must 'bring something back' then for goodness sake make it the V10's.

Actually, why not? I would rather have awesome frozen engines then mediocre frozen engines, even if I hate frozen engines in general. :)

#16 mercedessurearepopularnow

mercedessurearepopularnow

• 123 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:05

The turbo 1.6L engines are one of the worst things i think i've ever seen brought in F1, and no it's not just the dominance or even the idea of 1.6L Turbo engines, it's the constant talk of overtake engine settings, engine maps and ERS which make the few so-say "close battles" between Rosberg and Hamilton (and other teams) completely unfathomable/worthless as far as i can make out, it should just be one engine mode for the race. No turning settings up and down, the driver should be able to manage/control the engine/accelerating/braking himself.

Get rid of all the additional electric junk then reassess where we stand, the cars were supposed to be "slower" this year so safety reasons anyway, doesn't seemed to have worked out like that  :well:

Edited by mercedessurearepopularnow, 11 November 2014 - 18:32.

#17 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,065 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:06

And of course I know it won't happen.

#18 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:06

I want WEC P1 engines.

...which in terms of development cost and noise (especially the Audi) would probably make some people pine for the 1.6 V6s :)

Edited by FerrariV12, 11 November 2014 - 17:09.

#19 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:07

OK, I follow F1 for almost 50 years and apparently I'm not a fan.

Still glad that at least I learn something new every day  :D

Advertisement

#20 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 312 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:07

it's a bit of a flawed poll, really. There's only one option for No, but three for yes, so in order to see whether Yes or No has more votes, you need to add the 3 versions of Yes.

Anyway, I voted No, simply because, although the current engines are far more expensive, it'd be such a waste of money to have them for just one season

#21 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 2,856 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:08

I doubt Horner has got an original thought in his head. How often had we had him whinging on about the V8s when Renault was struggling or Pirelli when the tyres did not suit. He is Ecclestone's mouthpiece. IIRC Renault threatened withdrawal if the V6T were not introduced.

Edited by Petroltorque, 11 November 2014 - 17:12.

#22 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:08

Sounded pretty good any time I heard them.

#23 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:20

First time ever Horner's got a good idea. Kudos to him!  :clap:

#24 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:31

Should allow both, Turbo and Non Blown, however they should allow a boost up for the turbos to get more Power. .

#25 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:34

I agree particularly with what he says about the 50's and 60's. That was his favourite era but he accepts that that era is gone and we can't go back.

Edited by sabjit, 11 November 2014 - 17:42.

#26 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:42

Why not merge the V8 engines with a standardised ERS hybrid system?

#27 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:43

I might just be persuaded that he has a point after Mercedes engined cars have won 4 consecutive championships - till then his argument just seems more like a case of sour grapes.

Edited by ExFlagMan, 11 November 2014 - 17:43.

#28 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:44

I might just be persuaded that he has a point after Mercedes engined cars have won 4 consecutive championships - till then his argument just seems more like a case of sour grapes.

Yeah but we had RB win 4 consecutive championships with V8's. I think his point is null when you consider that either side of the engine change we had one team dominating.

#29 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:49

Second question i voted No but this year is different, there are 2 drivers "equal" in very dominant cars battling to the wire. 

#30 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:53

The Horners Idea is absurd. Waay too much money went in V6 Turbo development and Honda returned just because of these type of Engines. The Hybrids are the future of the car industry aswell....

They were all stupid to agree to a first year freeze, coz it was obvious they wont all get it right.

#31 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,797 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:56

I was surprised at the time that they introduced the new engines all at once, without some kind of equivalency glidepath formula for teams that couldn't afford to change over all at once. Even when they took the comparatively simple step of dropping from V10s to V8s, Toro Rosso (then Minardi) had a dispensation to run air-restricted V10s for a year.

But the turbos are here now and V8s won't bring Caterham or Marussia back.

Horner's real goal, which is allowing more engine development during the season, would probably be a good thing though. The current idea F1 has is sort of engine competition without the competition.

Edited by Risil, 11 November 2014 - 17:56.

#32 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:58

One of the worst ideas I've heard.

Worse technology, effectively wasting the spend on the new hybrid turbos and pushing Mercedes/Honda out of the sport.. Is Horner (a) doing this for the good of the sport (b) out for his own/RB's own interests...

The engines aren't really frozen, 60% of the engines can be changed next year so difference between Mercedes engine and the others should be neglible.

Edited by Cult, 11 November 2014 - 17:59.

#33 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,176 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:01

V8s were **** already. I want V10s. Videos with these still give me goosebumps.

But it's not possible, so fine with V6Ts, then V4Ts, and then Formula E1.

I don't see how it would make the competition better to have V8s back. The constructor who does the best job wins. How it can be considered "better" to have a tighter field? It's more exciting, but it's not Mercedes' fault if the others have not been able to produce an engine as good as theirs. Horner should know it better than anyone, given RBR's dominance in the previous years.

And YES, all World Champions are deserving. Having only one rival certainly makes it a easier, but it takes so much energy to be on top for a whole season, there are so many ways you can screw up... And YES it will also be true if Rosberg becomes World Champion after Abu Dhouble.

#34 BT44/45

BT44/45

• 170 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:02

sick and tired of these politics.

#35 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:02

Get rid of all the additional electric junk then reassess where we stand, the cars were supposed to be "slower" this year so safety reasons anyway, doesn't seemed to have worked out like that  :well:

haha! at the beginning of the season it was "OMG! these cars aren't even as fast as the V8, whats the point?"

now it's "OMG! these cars are as fast as last year's cars, what's the point?"

:lol:

#36 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:09

I think Horner is being a bit misquoted by Autosport and Co there. 

I don't want V8s back. If we're going to pure ICE's then let's go V12s or V10s.  :up:

#37 BadVoice

BadVoice

• 266 posts

No V8's. I want to see Ferrari suffer since they wanted V6   :clap:

Edited by BadVoice, 11 November 2014 - 18:10.

#38 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,750 posts

Go back if you want to kill the sport.

I would like more freedom for development and less restrictions on the engine.

#39 Astro

Astro

• 406 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:12

I think most of us want to see the competition back among teams and drivers, that's a no-brainer, but V8 is not necessarily a way to bring it back. But whatever, in reality there is no turning back. It may be better at this point to let big teams have their way, lift all the restrictions, introduce three-cars and customer cars, gorge in all the prize money, invest in livery made of metamaterials, and whatnot. If they find a balance and make it interesting for racing fans, great. If not, other series will take its place and the best drivers, and racing fans, will gravitate towards it. There is a world of motorsports out there and I cannot give two more extra f**** about the politics of F1.

Advertisement

#40 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,714 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:13

This is the most insane proposal that i heard of in a while, F1 would really become a sad joke if this happens.

#41 BadVoice

BadVoice

• 266 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:17

Horner needs to stfu. V8 and l will love to see Merc and Honda walk. Other teams affected McLaren, Williams, FI, Lotus. These teams have more clout than the limping Ferrari and Red Dull

#42 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:20

I think Horner is being a bit misquoted by Autosport and Co there. 

I don't want V8s back. If we're going to pure ICE's then let's go V12s or V10s.  :up:

Yea, If they are gonna go with an ICE has to be a v10 or v12 to get my interest onboard. I like the new Power units.

#43 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,908 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:20

Speak for yourself bud....

Yes, most race fans prefer impressive engine sound

Not every race fan wants engines so loud that as the V10s and V8s.

Impressive is not equivalent to loud.

To abuse your aliasbrand;  I have heard the V12s in the 333SP sportscar racing by at 10 meters away from me and could cope with it as long as I uese ear plugs and a head phone and still I heard enough that gave me goose bumps and makes me smile when I think about that singing engine that went from 4000 tot 10000 rpms. I had to smile every time when a 333SP came by. It confirmedfoe me for once and for all why Ferrari had so much followers because of ther singing V12s,

I also heard the Ferrari V10 and V8 F1 engines and even while I was much further away from them then I was when I saw/heard the 333SPs, even with earplugs and headphones they were too loud for me and only a hysterical screaming that had nothing that appealed to me. Nothing.

Don't throw all racing fans on ons single heap with proclaiming them to be found of loud engines.

Think again, the world of enjoyable engine sounds is larger then only just plain houd hysteric aer drum pearcing screaming.

If you still insist that racing fans only care about loud racing engines then I must thank you for throwing me out of the ranks of racing fans because by then i don't want to be branded with such a misnomer anymore.

Henri

#44 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:21

Go back if you want to kill the sport.

I would like more freedom for development and less restrictions on the engine.

That's what Horner wants too though, the talk about V8s and sound is just to annoy Mercedes.

#45 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,929 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:27

Stick to the rules for gods sake! If the smaller teams canĀ“t afford it then they will disappear and then the other teams together with Bernie & CVC will have to react, ie

open up the pocket if they want a full grid. Let it happen

Christian Horner should just shut it too talking about Mercedes dominance after 1 season! We had a RedBull WDC 4 times in a row..  :stoned:

#46 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:30

Stop confusing your beliefs as "a fan" with those of the rest of us, who surprisingly think the sound has sfa to do with anything.  Something that may also surprise you is that we're also fans of F1.  Oh and as the poll at this point in time is showing, you're in the minority.

Neil

#47 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:40

Shagging Ginger Spice has clearly addled Mr Horner's brain.

#48 mercedessurearepopularnow

mercedessurearepopularnow

• 123 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:45

The engines aren't really frozen, 60% of the engines can be changed next year so difference between Mercedes engine and the others should be negligible.

You're going to be mightily disappointed if you think that  :drunk: i'd say if anything the gap will probably be even larger next year, also there's clearly a complete lack of confidence from the other teams that they will ever get close under the current rules, hence why they're just saying this is no good, lets try something else. 

I also think they're underestimating Mercedes if they think switching back to V8s will stop them dominating; they were on Red Bulls heels for a lot of last year, and the rule changes on aero and tyres have clearly favoured them as well, there's no reason to believe they won't put out an equally superior V8 looking at how much they're spending on engine development.

Essentially the sport is rapidly heading for a dead end.

#49 Beyond

Beyond

• 403 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:46

Horner is right that without some changes we risk mercedes teams to dominate in the next years. It would be nice to give the possibility to develop the engine during the year. But wouldn't this increase the costs and put the small teams in trouble? Sounds like a dog biting his tail.

#50 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:50

Please don't speak for us all. I couldn't give a crap what the cars sound like, they could be playing ice cream van jingles for all I care.

In fact, I'm amazed people are still going on about the noise at all. Stuck record much?

Bringing back V8s is a terrible idea. 'Bring back competition'? Did you not see the second half of last season, or indeed the 2011 season? Great competition, that...