Photo

Ray Branston Memorial at Goodwood

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cs3tcr

cs3tcr

• 24 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 15:55

My boss was at Goodwood last month and took a photo of a memorial for Ray Branston with an Aston Martin logo on it.  Can anyone tell me who he was?  My boss is wanting to write a short article about visiting Goodwood for his Porsche club newsletter and was asking if I knew who he was, short answer was "never heard of him". 

Thanks,

Rod

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:24

Can't answer the question, but there's a photo of the plaque here:

https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/

#3 cs3tcr

cs3tcr

• 24 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 15:22

Tim,

That's almost the exact same photo my boss took.  I wonder is he was part of the AMOC.

Rod

#4 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 19:42

Google isn't your friend in this case - Ray Branston seems to have no on-line references at all.  I did wonder if he was a scion of the Branston pickle family, but it turns out that the pickle is named for a suburb of Burton-on Trent rather than a person.  

Come on TNF, you can do it, who was Ray Branston and why is he commemorated at Goodwood?

#5 Bumblyari

Bumblyari

• 160 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 00:17

Raymond Douglas Branston's death was recorded in Chichester so it would seem he was a local chap.

#6 PCC

PCC

• 1,084 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:40

It's of absolutely no help at all, but I notice that he was born the same year as Wallie Branston, the legendary starter at Mosport in the '60s and '70s. Pure coincidence, I assume - I don't think Wallie had a twin brother in Chichester.

#7 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:03

Raymond Douglas Branston's death was recorded in Chichester so it would seem he was a local chap.

I wonder if he was a faithful race marshal or something in the Goodwood golden era?

That wouldn't explain the Aston badge though.

#8 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 16:38

A letter to Goodwood / Lord March would provide the answer.

I also have a half memory of an article about a long-serving marshall at Goodwood but can't remember any details.

Edited by D-Type, 20 November 2014 - 16:42.

#9 T300

T300

• 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:05

Hi  Rod, just joined this forum to inform you of your question. my farther was race mechanic for Roy Salvadori back in the 50s. and yes was

a local chap. many stories have been told of his time with Roy and many other racers of that era with photo's never published. many thaks

Scott Branston.

#10 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:05

Hi  Rod, just joined this forum to inform you of your question. my farther was race mechanic for Roy Salvadori back in the 50s. and yes was
a local chap. many stories have been told of his time with Roy and many other racers of that era with photo's never published. many thaks
Scott Branston.

t

Thank you, Scott, and welcome to the forum. Please tell us more about your father, if you wouldn't mind.
If you have photos there are many here who would love to see them.

Jack

#11 T300

T300

• 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:54

Hi Jack, thanks for the warm welcome, many of these stories are to my personal knoledge. and some of which are written in a book tittled Roy Salvadory 

racing driver. unfortunatly photo's i have i cannot release be cause of copy wright or the lack of, by myself. but there are some well known faces gathered

in freindship as most of them where in those days, ie Jack Brabham, Rob Walker  who where good friends and Roy Salvadori and a very young Graham  Hill

in the back ground and many others to mention. as for storie telling will go on later on. cheers Scott.