Photo

Who was Joan Galloway from California

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 16:23

Joan Galloway raced my Lotus X a couple of times, in California, during 1959 & 60 while it was still owned by John Timanus.

Prior to that she raced an MG TD and later an Austin Healey at Nassau and a Lotus Eleven.

The question is who was she and is there any chance she might still be alive?

Advertisement

#2 Gary Jarlson

Gary Jarlson

• 55 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 23:30

Peter

There was an article that appeared in Life magazine reporting Joan Galloway's exploits driving Kurt Neumamn's Lotus Eleven at Santa Barbara in maybe 1959 or 1960. I can't find my copy right now and I don't recall that the story gave a lot of personal info. I ran across it because my brother and I bought the Eleven from Kurt and I was chasing it's history.

#3 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:00

Gary

Thanks for the lead.

Given the amount of information around on California racing of the period it seems surprising that there isn't so much on the female drivers.

Peter

#4 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 20:36

The Women's Sports Car Club was based in California, and it is likely that Joan was a member. It was affiliated to the San Francisco SCCA. 

Denise McCluggage was on the edges of that "scene", and is still alive - would it be worth contacting her?

#5 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:42

I see that Denise McCluggage started racing around that time so I will definitely contact her, thanks for the suggestion.

Peter

#6 Lotus11Register

Lotus11Register

• 116 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:08

This link to the LIFE magazine photos might help others help in answering the question: http://www.gettyimag...-photo/50562209

The Eleven seen here is chassis #194, the ex- Chuck Schroeder, ex- Kurt Neumann, ex- Alan & Gary Jarlson car.  Based on Gary's recollections and on a stray piece leftover from this car, it was wrecked in 1962 and was likely scrapped not long afterward. 

The little I learned about Joan Galloway from the time these photos became available through the Getty archive, was that she was a Hollywood starlet or budding actress of the day.  But that could be completely wrong as I cannot find anything to support it now.

Jay Sloane

#7 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:04

Denise McClugage replied quickly and said that unfortunately she'd left California before this time.

The photo I have with whom I assume is Joan Galloway in the Timanus Lotus X is here:

http://s251.photobuc...mh_mom.jpg.html

By this stage the car was in its third incarnation 'The Manx'.

Jay

I've also been led to believe she was a Hollywood person but again no solid evidence.

#8 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,274 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 17:34

This probably should be in the Historical Research section of the forum.

In a profile in the Los Angeles Times, September 23, 1960, Joan Galloway was described as a secretary. In a report on the 1959 Times Grand Prix, she was described as a "receptionist at CBS."

PM me and I'll try to set it up to send you a .pdf of the article.  I don't know how much you'll glean as it's kind of stereotypical "girl racer" novelty.  She turns up in the results of several Cal Club events in the "Ladies Race."  She was based in Southern California, listed as from North Hollywood.

As far as if she's still alive, it's much more difficult to trace women with married name changes.  She'd be 77 now.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 21 November 2014 - 17:35.

#9 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 23:03

Jim

I was in two minds about where to place this thread...

PM sent if you could send me the article.

Peter

What I'd really like to find are decent pictures of the Lotus in its 1960 open wheel incarnation, Joan Galloway drove it about 3 times in this form.

The pictures I have are:

Graham-10.jpg

Edited by Peter Morley, 21 November 2014 - 23:04.