- - - - -

1988 Lola F3000 Front Suspension

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 220 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 20:14

This really belongs in the Nostalgia forum, but does anyone have a picture of the front suspension (shocks, ARB area) of the 1988 Lola F3000 car they could post? Reason I ask is I was utterly fascinated by its packaging back in the day and, shortly after, one of the first projects I set myself in CAD class at Uni was to re-create it. 20+yrs later, I haven't been able to find a picture of it.

I'm fairly sure I still have the AutoCAD model I did of it, but the 'genius' at the Apple Store can't supply a 5-1/4" floppy disk drive for my iPad.

It was - to my uneducated eyes - a work of art, but I imagine it was tough to work on, had too short a damper travel and possibly quite friction-y. The spring/shock units were short, fat Konis arranged transversely in a moulded nook atop the monococoque. The fixed end was attached to a bolt that was co-axial with the opposing spring/shock unit's rocker pivot. In amongst all this was packaged an adjustable ARB actuated by rocker arms extending towards the middle of the tub.

Like I said, a packaging marvel but I would love to see a pic to bring back old memories. Overshadowed by the Reynard debutante's success, the 88 Lola was still pretty useful (let's not talk about 88's March.... Lovely though it looked)

Edited by IrishMariner, 15 November 2014 - 20:19.

Advertisement

#2 funformula

funformula

• 516 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 18:00

This really belongs in the Nostalgia forum, but does anyone have a picture of the front suspension (shocks, ARB area) of the 1988 Lola F3000 car they could post? Reason I ask is I was utterly fascinated by its packaging back in the day and, shortly after, one of the first projects I set myself in CAD class at Uni was to re-create it. 20+yrs later, I haven't been able to find a picture of it.

I'm fairly sure I still have the AutoCAD model I did of it, but the 'genius' at the Apple Store can't supply a 5-1/4" floppy disk drive for my iPad.

It was - to my uneducated eyes - a work of art, but I imagine it was tough to work on, had too short a damper travel and possibly quite friction-y. The spring/shock units were short, fat Konis arranged transversely in a moulded nook atop the monococoque. The fixed end was attached to a bolt that was co-axial with the opposing spring/shock unit's rocker pivot. In amongst all this was packaged an adjustable ARB actuated by rocker arms extending towards the middle of the tub.

Like I said, a packaging marvel but I would love to see a pic to bring back old memories. Overshadowed by the Reynard debutante's success, the 88 Lola was still pretty useful (let's not talk about 88's March.... Lovely though it looked)

Enjoy

http://www.race-cars...259698817ld.htm

#3 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 220 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 20:30

Thank you! I'm 18 again. Now where's me pencils...