Photo

Danner Ferrari Monaco 1989

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 22:03

I've read that Christian Danner was in the running of the Ferrari seat at the 1989 Monaco Grand Prix (Berger was injured). But the FIA prevent him for the Ferrari ride because he was not nominated as replacement driver for Ferrari in 1989.

That sounds very strange to me. What rule was that? Today a team could nominate any driver they want to replace another driver (he just has to have a F1 super licence).

So were that just rubbish rumours or can anyone explain me that case, please?

Advertisement

#2 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,474 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:58

This sounds like a rumour Christian Danner may have started! I can't believe he was on any kind of Ferrari shortlist as he was not highly rated at the time and Ferrari had (amongst others) Moreno and Larini on their books. Larini most certainly was in the running to fill in for Berger at Monaco.

The nominated driver thing sounds like rubbish too. It is true that Mario Andretti was approached to fill in for Gerhard at that race though; even though at that point he was a pretty old man I'd still wager he was quicker than Herr Danner!

#3 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:25

As in 1982 for Pironi - it was Mario Andretti who was asked to substitute Berger

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:00

Contemporary reports in the UK mags made no mention of Danner. Immediately after Berger’s accident it was rumoured that the 1989 Ferrari test driver JJ Lehto might stand in at Monaco, but it was then reported that Ferrari had decided to run only one car at Monaco as any replacement driver would have had great difficulty adjusting to the car around the streets of Monte Carlo.

Under the rules of the time Ferrari were allowed to run a single car at only one race, so they had to find and officially nominate a replacement for the next race, Mexico, if Gerhard was still not fit to drive. John Barnard was very keen to get Roberto Moreno, who as Ferrari’s 1988 test driver had experience with the car. However, Enzo Coloni was apparently not willing to release him. Roberto Guerrero's name was also mentioned.

Cesare Fiorio then reached agreement with the Osella team for Nicola Larini to be released to stand in for Berger from Mexico onward, with Lehto replacing Larini at Osella. Lehto then decided he didn’t want the Osella drive as it might prejudice his F3000 season, so Enrico Bertaggia was lined up as Larini’s replacement.

Berger then decided that he was fit to drive in Mexico, so Larini stayed at Osella. Later on, Andretti revealed that Ferrari had approached him as a potential stand-in, but I can’t believe this was anything more than Ferrari just investigating all the options. Perhaps they also contacted Danner for the same reason, but I can’t believe he was ever seriously considered for the drive.

Edited by Tim Murray, 18 November 2014 - 09:06.

#5 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:56

Okay thank you very much!

#6 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,474 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:26

Thinking about it, 1989 was an unusual year for drivers swapping teams mid-season - e.g. Herbert drove for both Benetton and Tyrell, Alboreto for Tyrell and Larousse, Raphanel for Rial and Coloni, Dalmas for AGS and Larousse, and there were myriad replacement drivers throughout (e.g. Donnelly, Bernard, Barilla etc. etc.) so I think we can rule out any legislative reason for Danner not racing for Ferrari and consider the more obvious ones! I think 47 drivers entered the various events in 1989 in total (not including the unfortunate Streiff).

#7 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 14:08

I asked Christian Danner and he confirmed there was no offer from Ferrari...

Edited by HistoryFan, 18 November 2014 - 14:08.

#8 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 242 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 18:25

Monaco of all places! That is where Danner and Alboreto crashed heavily in practice in 1987. The Ferrari was completely destroyed and the Scuderia was not amused.
I thought they sent Danner the repair bill not an offer to join the team two years later!

#9 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 21:18

I don't remember this either, but at least sizewise it might be plausible. Berger and Danner both tall guys,

#10 Rudernst

Rudernst

• 119 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 22:28

size does not matter...

didnt you know that ?

:rotfl:

R.E.

#11 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 22:57

size does not matter...

didnt you know that ?

:rotfl:

R.E.

As a slightly tubby Nigel Mansell discovered during his brief McLaren period, width is much more important.

#12 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:54

Thinking about it, 1989 was an unusual year for drivers swapping teams mid-season - e.g. Herbert drove for both Benetton and Tyrell, Alboreto for Tyrell and Larousse, Raphanel for Rial and Coloni, Dalmas for AGS and Larousse, and there were myriad replacement drivers throughout (e.g. Donnelly, Bernard, Barilla etc. etc.) so I think we can rule out any legislative reason for Danner not racing for Ferrari and consider the more obvious ones! I think 47 drivers entered the various events in 1989 in total (not including the unfortunate Streiff).

The rule was not valid in case of "force majeure", which did include illness or injuries of drivers. In such cases temporary "replacements" were allowed. Other than this each team had to name their two regular drivers for the season and then were allowed to make two changes "without giving a reason" (don´t remember how this was handled with the one-car-teams). I think the last "victim" was Perry McCarthy, who was sabotaged by his Andrea Moda Team when they were refused to return to their original driver line-up.