Photo
* - - - - 3 votes

Alonso departs from Ferrari, Vettel replaces him

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

Poll: Alonso departs from Ferrari, Vettel replaces him (322 member(s) have cast votes)

Would have Ferrari needed to keep Fernando at all costs?

1. Yes (89 votes [27.64%])

Percentage of vote: 27.64%

2. No (233 votes [72.36%])

Percentage of vote: 72.36%

Will Ferrari be a weaker team without Fernando?

1. Yes (207 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. No (115 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

Could Vettel be the right man to replace Fernando?

1. Yes (207 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. No (115 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MotorsportFerrari

MotorsportFerrari

• 215 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:27

The world was taken aback by Vettel in recent years, many claimed he is even better then Senna or Schumacher.

This year is reputation was cut back massively though his struggles against Ricciardo.

Was Ferrari right to let Fernando depart the team or would Ferrari have needed to secure him at all costs?

Advertisement

#2 Borko

Borko

• 2,229 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:29

Voted no/yes/no

#3 DeVol

DeVol

• 1,101 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:33

Yep, yep, yep.

Alonso is one of the top 2 drivers out there, no doubt. He's better than Kimi or Seb right now so yes it's a loss.

But down the track, Vettel may work out if they can sort the car.

#4 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:35

"Would have Ferrari needed to keep Fernando at all costs?"

What do you mean? Keep him at gunpoint?

It's Fernando who wanted to leave. If that's the case keeping him is no option unless you want to force him into a sabaticcal.

#5 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:38

Good riddance.

No/No/Yes

#6 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:40

No Yes Yes

#7 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,885 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:46

no / yes / time will tell

#8 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,810 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:47

No / Yes / (Hopeful) Yes

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 20 November 2014 - 11:47.

#9 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:47

No/No/Yes

#10 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:52

No/Yes/Undecided

#11 pusko

pusko

• 990 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:04

No/yes/no

#12 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:14

Voted no/no/yes

I do believe Ferraris main problem is not a driver its a car. If they deliver good car they have good enough drivers to fight for WDC and WCC. Fernando has put so much pressure for a good car it was maybe to much and detoriarated.

#13 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:14

In my view, Fernando chose to leave and when a driver no longer wishes to drive for a team, they are best to let him go and not have to deal with the negativity that would be present where a driver is tolerating a situation he does not wish to be in.   In addition, I think that the Alonso-Ferrari era was, as Alonso just pointed out in the presser, growing worse by the season - resulting in his desire to leave last September.  It is clear that both Fernando and the team need and deserve a fresh start.

A fresh start is what Vettel provides for Ferrari in spades.  As I see it, Vettel is the best driver on the grid in addition to being the most successful and most decorated.  However, this is not the sole reason he will be great for Ferrari; he knows how to win championships yes, but also he brings experience gained through 5 years of waging tough title campaigns - which initially included building with the team from mid-gridders to champions and sustaining that for 4 years. Vettel is young, solid under pressure, works extremely well with others, does not demand privileges, has time and patience to work with the team toward a better future and will provide a fresh start with a great attitude from one who has loved Ferrari his whole life and has always spoken of her with reverence and respect - and he has a terrific sense of humor, which goes a long way in any work environment.  Ferrari has not won any championships for the last 5 years and so together with Kimi, the factory and the team, Seb has his work cut out for him.  Nonetheless, Ferrari made the best choice of drivers in terms of changing that, imo.  For many reasons, the 2014 season was one of the most difficult for Sebastian before it even began and then he went on to carry the load of reliability misfortune in the garage from start to finish.  His handling of that situation was on the whole, remarkable, and he is certainly stronger for it.  That strength will stand him in good stead with Ferrari.

As for the poll:

No - Ferrari should not keep a driver against his will at any cost - or even for free.

No - Ferrari will not be weaker without a driver who has no desire to be there, but stronger for letting him go.

Yes - Ferrari made the right choice in replacing Fernando with Sebastian, who not only loves the team and is highly motivated to be there and make it a success, but also has the talent and personality to see the thing through.

Edited by bourbon, 20 November 2014 - 12:20.

#14 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:21

I will laugh my ass off if one of the ferrari drivers will win the wdc next year.  :lol:

Good luck to Fernando where ever he goes.  :up:

#15 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:23

Don't know.

#16 narcotic

narcotic

• 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:25

Best news for Ferrari in years. Team made around Alonso was worst in long time. 5 years of constant decline. Now when Montezemolo, Domenicali, Alonso are fired, we all have hope, things will go better from year 2015 for my Ferrari

#17 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:26

There is a lot of pressure for anyone who choses to lead the Ferrari team.  If it works you are a hero and a genius, if it doesn't.. you are an exile.  Ultimately Ferrari just need to build a better car.

#18 Borko

Borko

• 2,229 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:29

Who would say only one and a half year ago this is going to happen?

After 2013 Spanish GP in May, it seemed that 2013 is going to be that year when Alonso-Ferrari partnership is finally going to produce a long awaited championship. Didn't win in Australia because of their own faults, Alonso crashed in Malaysia while being second, was fastest by far in China and won there, DRS failure cost him a podium place in Bahrain, and won convincngly on his home soil, even Massa managed to capture a podium in the race in which nobody retired of crashed. Everything looked very bright for Alonso-Ferrari relationship. It's incredible, but that was their final victory together.

#19 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:36

Yes, the beginning of 2013 is possibly the only time you could say Ferrari had the strongest car on track.

I really thought last year was going to be Ferrari's. 

Advertisement

#20 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:42

A fresh start for all involved. It will bring renewed motivation for everyone.

Ps how long before Alonso creates another 'toxic' atmosphere in his next team?

#21 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:44

A fresh start for all involved. It will bring renewed motivation for everyone.

Ps how long before Alonso creates another 'toxic' atmosphere in his next team?

Probably before Ferrari win a championship ;) 

#22 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:45

Best news for Ferrari in years. Team made around Alonso was worst in long time. 5 years of constant decline. Now when Montezemolo, Domenicali, Alonso are fired, we all have hope, things will go better from year 2015 for my Ferrari

Strange definition of constant decline. I recall Ferrari only had one win in 2009 and were nowhere near the title, compared to challenging for the title twice in the following 4 seasons under the same regulations, with 11 wins.

#23 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:53

I'm proud that Ferrari managed to part ways with their lead pilot without a negative press.

#24 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:57

I look forward to Ferrari remaining nowhere for the next 3 seasons. Alonso is finally free of that dead weight.

#25 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:59

Purple / Oak Armchair / 27.8

(No/No/Yes)

#26 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:01

Yes, a surprisingly mature split from both parties, well done :up:

#27 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:02

Vettel is an excellent choice and will make the team stronger.  Alonso's a good driver, one of the best of all time, but he drives for himself.

#28 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,810 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:06

Vettel is an excellent choice and will make the team stronger. Alonso's a good driver, one of the best of all time, but he drives for himself.

And Vettel doesn't? Please...

#29 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:07

I look forward to Ferrari remaining nowhere for the next 3 seasons. Alonso is finally free of that dead weight.

I would not call Ferrari 'dead weight'.

#30 Acathla

Acathla

• 605 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:07

it is shown by the photo's on Fernando's Facebook how much love he gets from the Scuderia and vice versa. All these "toxic" claims and everything is pulled out of the closet to bring Alonso down. Shame, because he's the best Ferrari could get and in no way Vettel is gonna bring them wins or WDC's. Guess it's easier and cooler to blame Alonso for everything. He's so hated in F1 that Mclaren wants him back... 

#31 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 194 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:10

As a fan of both Ferrari and Alonso I find it insane that some Ferrari fans call him toxic and say they can't wait for him to leave. The guy worked magic in the 5 years with the team when Red Bull was dominating he was the only driver to come close. Ferrari fans should be worshiping Fernando.

Ferrari have lost the only thing that made them look good. I hope the 2014 Vettel was a one off because he needs to bring his A-game or we will have to endure a world of pain next year

#32 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,313 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:15

You're in denial if you think Ferrari's problems are their future drivers. 

All they need is a better car. 

#33 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:16

"The next stage of my Formula 1 career will be spent with Scuderia Ferrari and for me that means the dream of a lifetime has come true," said Vettel.

"When I was a kid, Michael Schumacher in the red car was my greatest idol and now it's an incredible honour to finally get the chance to drive a Ferrari.

"I already got a small taste of what the Ferrari spirit means, when I took my first win at Monza in 2008 [with Toro Rosso], with an engine from the Prancing Horse built in Maranello.

"The Scuderia has a great tradition in this sport and I am extremely motivated to help the team get back to the top. I will put my heart and soul into making it happen."

Do Ferrari give them a script for these things? Famous last words...

#34 Ernesto

Ernesto

• 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:19

Using "science"...

Vettel ALWAYS performs better during years ending in an odd number. Therefore he will drive like a demon next year and in 2017

2015 is the first season since 2005 to end with the number 5. Raikkonen was a monster in 2005. I see no reason this pattern shouldn't continue

#35 kerum gp

kerum gp

• 283 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:20

"I stop as a Ferrari driver but from Monday I am a Ferrari supporter" F.A.

This sounds just wrong especially if his next Mclaren driver :down:

#36 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:21

I would not call that science.

#37 Massa

Massa

• 10,092 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:24

deal with it :smoking:

#38 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,313 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:24

Maybe he isn't going to McLaren...

#39 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:27

Maybe he isn't going to McLaren...

Sounds like Marussia or Haas ;-)

Advertisement

#40 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:33

Voted No/no/yes, the split seemed to be very much mutual between Ferrari management and Alonso.

Edited by MikeV1987, 20 November 2014 - 13:55.

#41 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,885 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:51

So you expect him to hate Ferrari, to remove from his mind the good memories and the friends he left there?. He is not going to "support" Ferrari over his new team, use common sense.

Edited by kosmos, 20 November 2014 - 13:52.

#42 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:54

No/No/Yes

In my honest opinion this is something that both Ferrari and Alonso needed. Alonso wanted to go elsewhere and Ferrari had wanted Vettel for a long time.

As for whether Ferrari will be stronger/weaker without Alonso and if Vettel was the right man to replace him, time will tell.....but I think it will only benefit Ferrari in the long run, cause now they simply HAVE to succeed with the car development, they are going to have 2 drivers, with similar driving styles, similar preferences. Ferrari or any other team cant rely on single person too much, and I think in many ways Alonso had become greater than the team.

So ye, I think Vettel and Kimi are more than capable to get great results as long as the team succeeds to provide them better car, one that doesnt have the many problems of F14T. Overall I think this is exactly what Ferrari needs, a fresh start without, Montezemolo, without Domenicali, without Alonso.

Edited by Balnazzard, 20 November 2014 - 13:57.

#43 HP

HP

• 19,632 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 13:57

According to this http://www.autosport...t.php/id/116850

Alonso started to doubt last in 2013. Hence no/no/yes.

Alonso had a better year than Vettel. But since he started doubting, Alonso most likely went through the motions at Ferrari, much like Vettel at RBR. So for both drivers and all teams involved (Ferrari, RBR and most likely McLaren) it should be a step forward. Now who's team gonna catch Mercedes first?

#44 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 14:22

Drivers aren't the issue at ferrari.
ferrari is the issue at ferrari.
If they can get out of their own way and let the quality of their team flourish they can dominate.

Edited by paulogman, 20 November 2014 - 14:23.

#45 Lights

Lights

• 17,876 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 14:31

I voted truthfully and it turned out I voted with the majority. What have I won?

#46 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 14:31

Voted no/no/yes.

Alonso is a very strong driver, but in a sport in which the last bit of performance matters, you cannot keep an unhappy employee by force. For Vettel on the other hand Ferrari is a childhood dream (and in his case that is not an empty phrase looking at a number of interviews even while at RB). So from this point of view, I think it was right to let Alonso go and get Vettel in. 

#47 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 14:32

No.

They've got bigger problems at Ferrari than the drivers so keeping Alonso at all costs wasn't really a priority, especially if it was him that wanted to leave.

Yes.

He's the best driver on the grid and consistently gets the best from the car, how could they not be weaker without him?

Yes.

Though I don't think Vettel is as good as Alonso, he's definitely the best driver available for them to replace him, only slightly ahead of Jenson. I don't think there was ever a chance Lewis would have left Mercedes.

#48 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 2,445 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 14:45

Alonso leaving Ferrari could make me a Ferrari fan. :lol:

#49 Xoke

Xoke

• 30 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 14:47

Ferrari needed a great car, now they need the best

#50 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 14:53

I would not call Ferrari 'dead weight'.

Given how Felipe Massa has suddenly been transformed from a nobody to a real F1 driver by moving to a "lesser" team, I'd say "dead weight" is an accurate description for Ferrari. I only wish Fernando had made that jump to Williams, instead of continuing to believe in that self-serving myth called Ferrari.