Researching Lotus Elan history, looking for a Mr B.M. Wetherill

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dgym

dgym

• 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 21:35

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, from Melbourne Australia and have just spent the last couple of days doing some lurking, I wish I'd found this forum earlier!

I'm the new owner of a 1966 S3 Lotus Elan FHC and I'm interested in the cars' early history.

I have information from the DLVA indicating that the car wasn't registered in the UK until July 1979 with a mr John and mrs Patricia Davies in Newcastle Upon Tyne and was Green/Yellow at that time, registration  PPC 8E.

I have information from Lotus Archives saying that it was sold new in kit form to a Mr B.M. Wetherill In Dec 1966.

It is the period between 66 and 79 that I am particularly interested in.

After some googling I found a B.M. Wetherill competeing in a 750 club 6 hour relay in 1961 in a Lotus Eleven.  I THINK he may have been in the "Team Fury" team. I think this event was at Silverstone. I am assuming this is my man.

here's the link: http://www.sebringsp... Sebrings02.pdf he appears in the second paragraph.

here's a link to a photo of what MAY BE B.M. Wetherill's Eleven, based on the running order in the previous article and the main photo.

http://john.shendy.c...0&gallery=10008

So the car not being registered for 13 years, being painted green and yellow, and being owned by a 750 Club participant, make me wonder If the car was being used as a club racer for the start of it's life.

I have spent quite some time scouring the personal club racing photos thread (awesome thread!!) for any mention of B.A. Wetherill or even a green and yellow S3 but was not successful. Although lots of the pictures didn't load for me. I've also followed the links in the stickies at the top of the nostalgia forum without any joy.

I'm wondering If anyone here either knows of B.M. Wetherill or the car, Or if not that, you may be able to tell me what class a S3 Elan would have been run in in any 750 club events between 1967 and 1979. The car appears to have never been greatly modified.

Also any hints on places to go looking would be greatly appreciated. I'm very happy to scraaaaaawwwwwwlllllll through the internet.. :stoned:

thanks very much for having me here.

cheers!

-Jim

Advertisement

#2 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 14:07

The registration number of your car is from 1967 (January to July) and the letters PC are for Guildford, Surrey. I don't think the information you have relates to its first registration, but the oldest on record.
I've looked through my 750mc stuff and can't find Mr. Wetherill, though I did find something on the internet about a Michael Wetherill with a Lotus 17 at Oulton Park in 1970. Participation in the 6 hour doesn't indicate 750mc membership by the way, entries come from many different clubs.
I've also found references to Mike Weatherill and Lotus (note spelling),a competitor in Historic Sports cars, mainly Lotus 15.

Oh, and back then, I don't think the 750mc had a class that would be suitable for an Elan like yours, but as I've said, the 750mc link is a bit tenuous.

Edited by RogerFrench, 22 November 2014 - 15:09.

#3 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 19:50

....and Bernard Weatherill was Speaker of the House of Commons as well as being MD of the eponymous Saville Row tailors. But I can't find a connection.

typo edit

Edited by Sharman, 22 November 2014 - 19:51.

#4 dgym

dgym

• 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 21:26

hmm, very interesting,

thanks for the info. It would make more sense for it to be a road car as it's got absolutely Zero race bits. Doesn't even have side mirrors fitted.

I have papers from the DVLA that have written "not previously registered" which I took to mean not registered for the road, It must mean not registered in their records.

will do some more googling with different spelling and see what comes up.

thanks gents!

-Jim

#5 dgym

dgym

• 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 22:54

One more try, 

Michael or Mike Weatherill/Wetherill keeps appearing in my searching. He appears to have owned and raced a wide range of Lotus cars and a Lola T70 Mk3B. He is mentioned on this forum in discussions about the T70 here: http://forums.autosp...-lola-t70-mk3b/

I found another article saying he worked with PAO Developments (Prince Albert's Own?) and there's an article about PAO Developments in the Sept 1975 issue of Thoroughbred and classic cars that i'm considering purchasing from ebay,

If anyone knows of Mike, once again any help is appreciated.

cheers,

-Jim

#6 RobMk2a

RobMk2a

• 262 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:54

BM Wetherill also entered a Lotus Elite in the Silverstone MGCC 27th May 1961. 

#7 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,038 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 15:11

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, from Melbourne Australia and have just spent the last couple of days doing some lurking, I wish I'd found this forum earlier!

I'm the new owner of a 1966 S3 Lotus Elan FHC and I'm interested in the cars' early history.

I have information from the DLVA indicating that the car wasn't registered in the UK until July 1979 with a mr John and mrs Patricia Davies in Newcastle Upon Tyne and was Green/Yellow at that time, registration  PPC 8E.

I have information from Lotus Archives saying that it was sold new in kit form to a Mr B.M. Wetherill In Dec 1966.

It is the period between 66 and 79 that I am particularly interested in.

After some googling I found a B.M. Wetherill competeing in a 750 club 6 hour relay in 1961 in a Lotus Eleven.  I THINK he may have been in the "Team Fury" team. I think this event was at Silverstone. I am assuming this is my man.

here's the link: http://www.sebringsp... Sebrings02.pdf he appears in the second paragraph.

here's a link to a photo of what MAY BE B.M. Wetherill's Eleven, based on the running order in the previous article and the main photo.

http://john.shendy.c...0&gallery=10008

So the car not being registered for 13 years, being painted green and yellow, and being owned by a 750 Club participant, make me wonder If the car was being used as a club racer for the start of it's life.

I have spent quite some time scouring the personal club racing photos thread (awesome thread!!) for any mention of B.A. Wetherill or even a green and yellow S3 but was not successful. Although lots of the pictures didn't load for me. I've also followed the links in the stickies at the top of the nostalgia forum without any joy.

I'm wondering If anyone here either knows of B.M. Wetherill or the car, Or if not that, you may be able to tell me what class a S3 Elan would have been run in in any 750 club events between 1967 and 1979. The car appears to have never been greatly modified.

Also any hints on places to go looking would be greatly appreciated. I'm very happy to scraaaaaawwwwwwlllllll through the internet.. :stoned:

thanks very much for having me here.

cheers!

-Jim

Wetherill was not in the "Fury Team" in the Silverstone Six Hours, 1961, but #2B in the "Team Club Lotus."

Team mates were:  A.G. Aksentowicz, C.B. Dawson, D.G. Marriott/George Mudie, L.J. Parvin, A.G. Knight/K.G. Holland

All driving Lotus Eleven-Climax, 1098 c.c.

Lotus XI experts should be able to add something. A registration number would help.

RGDS RLT 

Edited by Rupertlt1, 17 November 2018 - 15:38.

#8 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 17:58

D G Marriott in an Eleven would likely be Don Marriott who ran an Eleven Coupe, a well known car/combo, so someone may know of his whereabouts. Some period programmes sowed the entrant as a Company. I will have a look though sundry Ines here. For Elevens, Graham Capel is your man in there a of who is/was who. PM me with your e mail and I will send contact details, otherwise check him through Historic Lotus Register as Registrar.The highly regarded Charles Helps, Lotus 6 Registrar of this parish, may also be a help.
In terms of the 60s racing, there was more of it in more places so it may be harder, relying on luck rather than a strategy.
Obviously, Ted Walker of Ferret Photographics is one to contact, as Ted seems to know everyone, and is always extremely helpful.
Roger Lund.

#9 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,038 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 13:54

19 August 1961 Castle Combe Sprint

Dursley Motor-cycle and Light Car Club

Sports-racing up to 1,500 c.c.-1. B.

Wetherill, M.G. (Lotus), 59.24 sec

The M.G. denotes car club, so presumably M.G. Car Club.

RGDS RLT

#10 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,038 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 14:04

BM Wetherill also entered a Lotus Elite in the Silverstone MGCC 27th May 1961. 

Also at SUNBAC Silverstone, 3 September 1960

B.M. Wetherill wins the 2nd Handicap event in a Lotus, 70.14 m.p.h.

Also ran in 2nd 30-minute high-speed trial.

RGDS RLT