- - - - -

What if double points werent valid

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 hitch1983

hitch1983

• 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 22:38

This season its all been about Nico and Lewis.  

It started off as a fair fight with both generally getting equal support, maybe lewis slightly edging it, then monaco and spa happens and Nico goes from nice boy to panto villian,

Then as the season progresses, lewis essentially outclasses him on race day with 10 wins to 5.

but the title race stays close to the wire because of bad luck by lewis in retirements etc. and with double points a factor in the last race.

so most people are of the opinion that its hamiltons title and anything less would be a farce for the season!

I got a question i wish to put out there though, say double points didnt exist, Rosbergs chances of winning the title would be then greatly reduced because hamilton would only then require to finish 6th.

say lewis didnt manage that factor and finished 7th or lower for whatever reason and nico won the race and then the title, would people then consider that a valid title win for NIco?

seems the guy is in a dammed if i do and dammed if i dont type situation

i just want a general opinion?

Advertisement

#2 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 22:51

It's been discussed elsewhere alot but the general opinion would be if Rosberg won, on the basis of normal points structure or if lewis retires, so it wouldn't make a difference, double points or not Rosberg is rightfully champion. Whether that shows up the points system to be unequally weighted to consistency is another question. The best driver doesn't always win the title...

#3 pdac

pdac

• 17,074 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 00:04

What if pigs could fly? They can't. And double points are a fact.

#4 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,479 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 00:20

It's kind of reminiscent of 1988 in away. Prost scored more points but Senna won the WDC.

#5 jameson11

jameson11

• 14 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 00:24

It's kind of reminiscent of 1988 in away. Prost scored more points but Senna won the WDC.

Exactly this! Dropping the worst points round in my opinion is just as heavy as double points. Many have seemed to have forgotten this. Probably the senna factor.....

#6 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,589 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 00:36

You guys criticising 88 cannot be for real (actually you probably can on this forum). And I'm being polite here.

Best x results helps remove luck, double points at an arbitrary race increases luck as the deciding factor.

They are complete opposites.

Edited by E.B., 22 November 2014 - 00:38.

#7 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,648 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 00:53

What if pigs could fly? They can't. And double points are a fact.

Maybe a better way to word it would be "What if Rosberg beat Hamilton by enough points in Abu Dhabi to mean he would have won with or without double points?" But my answer is that there would probably be less uproar about it. It would just be a case of many people thinking that the best driver didn't win, which isn't really that rare. Winning because of double points and being considered inferior would be a double whammy that would put the forum into meltdown.

You guys criticising 88 cannot be for real (actually you probably can on this forum). And I'm being polite here.

Best x results helps remove luck, double points at an arbitrary race increases luck as the deciding factor.

They are complete opposites.

While I'm not the biggest fan of dropped scores, I agree that it's completely different from and far less insane than giving double points in one arbitrary race.

#8 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,589 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:05

I guess I just fear that we're going to end up with the flukiest WDC win since Bob Williams got accidentally immured in the khazi.

#9 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:54

Please look to see if there's already threads about what you want to discuss before starting new threads.

http://forums.autosp...-season-merged/

http://forums.autosp...-double-points/

http://forums.autosp...-points-system/