Photo
- - - - -

your season

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: F1 season (106 member(s) have cast votes)

has this years season with the new engines been a success

1. yes (63 votes [59.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.43%

2. no (43 votes [40.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 hitch1983

hitch1983

• 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 23:48

in your opinion after 4 years of red bull dominance, has the new format benefited the sport?

i personally think its been a winner this year,

more positives than negatives, which makes the money arguments thats developed right at the end, all the more disappointing

Advertisement

#2 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 00:10

I don't really see how anyone could conclude the new engines have been "a winner" with 10 of the 11 teams all failing to compete.

Based on the OP, we still have dominance by 1 team, so the new format has merely changed up the dominator, but we have the exact same thing going on and so far, all by 1 constructor.   So in terms of the new engine, only the Mercedes engine in its own work team has been a success.  Everyone else has failed to differing levels, usually to the tune of 1 second or more down the field for best of the rest. 

So overall the season has failed.

It is possible that in ensuing years (2015 with unfreeze or 2016 if not) we will see other cars become more competitive at which point it may be a grand success in terms of the engines (engine integration in and leveling of the field among a couple few teams)

Edited by bourbon, 22 November 2014 - 00:12.

#3 hitch1983

hitch1983

• 9 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 00:36

sure its been all about mercedes, 

and yes whats the difference between that and red bull last year or the last 4 years.

but you gotta admit, theres been more actual racing this season alone than those 4 years put together.

whether its been between lewis and nico or in the mid field.

how many races this year have been a joy to watch, compared to before?

#4 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 00:50

sure its been all about mercedes, 

and yes whats the difference between that and red bull last year or the last 4 years.

but you gotta admit, theres been more actual racing this season alone than those 4 years put together.

whether its been between lewis and nico or in the mid field.

how many races this year have been a joy to watch, compared to before?

See I disagree as I think we have had some great races over the past 4 years (including a few which I think will be future classics) yes we have had some fantastic ones this year as well, certainly Bahrain and Canada were stand out races. However apart from the final 8 or so last year that were predictable (and even then the racing behind the runaway winner was pretty good) I wouldn't have wanted to put any money on predicting the winner in any of the 4 previous years. Yes Red Bull ended up winning all 4 but in 2010 and 2012 the drivers title went right down to the final race between different teams and for only a fraction of a change in luck Fernando would have won 2 of them. Even in 2011, despite Red Bull walking the title there was usually a car challenging them race day (just unfortunately not consistently).

#5 drag

drag

• 162 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:57

2012 must be rare season , I was amazed with the first part ,seven races seven different winners teams and drivers......  truly entertaining and thrilling. Spectacular season with memorable drives and races.

2010 was spectacular in its own way with five drivers in shot for the crown until penultimate race , four at the last race ...... you just cant ask more and with many twists and turns over the season it was also ace season. 

This year cant beat these two , its not even close. As a whole really good season I like it . Rosberg (for me surprisingly) is keeping WDC fight close which is great , with Lewis they given us great racing against each other on couple occasion. Then we saw brilliant Ricciardo showing us speed and such a mature wheel to wheel racing. 

I voted success , not bored by Mercedes domination they deserve it (even though I hope next year competition will catch up with them).

Negative - we get used to screamers so it is not comparable but sound of new engines is pitiful.

#6 totgate

totgate

• 199 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:02

This year is the beginning of the end for F1!!

#7 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,002 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:04

For me, this season has been second to 2012. How many years can you see two drivers in equal cars race toe to toe every single race, barring reliability/suspect qualifying parking/suspect overtaking? I'll never understand the whining about Mercedes being dominant; Red Bull were dominant last year, the three years before that they still had a clear edge, Brawn were dominant before that. At least this year the Mercedes dominance has resulted in a good fight between two drivers, not a cruise to the win for one. The overall shape of the cars is better looking than ever before (barring the nose, obviously), and in my opinion the sound is fantastic. Next year, without double points and sex toy noses, will be a cracker!

#8 MissingTheApex

MissingTheApex

• 326 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:24

I think the season has gone well, albeit without too much intra team racing at the top end.  

However, there's been consistent and good racing throughout the grid, the top two have been allowed to go absolutely hammer and tongs all season and I think the engines are actually more relevant that the old V8's. 

I think it will get better next season too.

#9 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,726 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:52

It's only better this year because we have competitive team mates! For whatever reason MW wasn't on par with SV like LH and NR are

#10 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:00

No, the season has not failed, the ones that failed are Ferrari and Renault.

#11 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:02

I've loved this season - may be because Mercedes and Williams have been my two favourite teams generally. Or it may actually be because the racing throughout the season has been special :up:

Bad for Red Bull and Ferrari but their issues have led to great battles with Williams, McLaren and the Force Indias this year. Given the different engines each car has had very different strengths and weaknesses which is great for close racing as well as a changing order from race-to-race. Compared to the second half of 2013 this has been a breath of fresh air!

Edited by Cult, 22 November 2014 - 09:03.

#12 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:05

Best racing we've seen in years and the best WDC battle since 2010. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

#13 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:13

YES

#14 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,919 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:23

On track it's been very good but as far as I'm concerned it's all overshadowed by what has been going on off the track financially.

#15 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:28

I've not been paying as much attention to F1 as i have in previous seasons (I'm a bit jaded from the continual over-hyped BS tbh), but from what i've seen, the racing has been excellent. The results have just been a bit predictable...

I just get sad whenever I watch it, i can't help but imagine how awesome those cars could be if they had tyres that they could go balls-out for more than a handful of laps per race.

#16 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:55

My feelings are that its been a messy year. We've had a fair share of darn good races, obviously. I'm usually more concerned with racing than most of the other crap that goes on, so that's a big plus for me and its a season that I think I will say that I've enjoyed overall as a result. But there's been a *lot* of things that have dragged it down from being great year. An engine shakeup was a good idea, but it hasn't turned out all that great. The cars seem more interesting to drive now, but the cars sound far worse, the limited engines/parts rules have made it difficult for many, and the clearcut domination of one engine manufacturer has made it a much less interesting battle than it might have been. Quality teams like Sauber and Lotus have struggled immensely due to the new engines, basically putting them out of the picture for the year and neither have managed to find much room for improvement. And of course the Mercedes domination has been quite boring overall for me. I'm sure some people, especially Mercedes/Lewis fans, have been enjoying it, but this sort of domination is not exactly exciting stuff for a lot of us. Back when things were largely about aero, there was always at least the *potential* for others to catch up, but with limited engine development, the likes of Red Bull and Ferrari and any teams running the Renault/Ferrari engines were basically doomed no matter what.

And of course we've seen the rise of Ricciardo and Bottas, which has been great to see. Ricciardo especially is the man of the year, beating his 4-time reigning champion teammate convincingly in his first year in the team and showing some seriously class act on-track driving while doing it. Bottas has also done quite well to beat Massa and while he's had a lot of strong races with a bunch of overtakes, that Williams' straight line speed really gives them a massive edge in achieving that.

Lastly, Caterham and Marussia basically not surviving ends the year on a bit of a sour note. I suppose the writing was on the wall for a while, but its still not nice to see and without them, the grid truly seemed worryingly small.

So, I enjoyed the year overall, but yea, not a great year and saying it was a 'success' might be stretching it. I'd give it a 'barely passed' grade and give it a stern talk about how it could do a lot better.

#17 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:57

One period of dominance switched for another, equally crushing period of dominance. In this decade there have been 2 good years in F1: 2010 and 2012. what did they have in common? Several teams able to compete for victories. This year has been rubbish and the media is hyping up a battle between Lewis and Nico that doesn't even exist: Lewis is obviously the stronger of the two and if it wasn't for bad luck and the stupid double points rule would have wrapped up the title 2 or 3 races ago.

#18 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:03

^look at any decade and see how many seasons had multiple (more than 2) teams fighting for the title. It's always been the exception. If you want a series that lots of teams have a fighting chance, you need a spec formula.

#19 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,304 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:05

Not a winner. Even though Red Bull dominated in the last four years, two out of those four there was a genuine title batle between drivers from different teams.

And even in 2011 McLaren was very close and could compete with Red Bull, and early 2013 was very competitive as well.

Advertisement

#20 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,992 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:37

I don't really see how anyone could conclude the new engines have been "a winner" with 10 of the 11 teams all failing to compete.

Based on the OP, we still have dominance by 1 team, so the new format has merely changed up the dominator, but we have the exact same thing going on and so far, all by 1 constructor.   So in terms of the new engine, only the Mercedes engine in its own work team has been a success.  Everyone else has failed to differing levels, usually to the tune of 1 second or more down the field for best of the rest. 

It is possible that in ensuing years (2015 with unfreeze or 2016 if not) we will see other cars become more competitive at which point it may be a grand success in terms of the engines (engine integration in and leveling of the field among a couple few teams)

That's not the rules fault, the other teams should have done a better job.

#21 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,329 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:01

Great racing, although the fuel efficiency emphasis still leaves me a bit cold, although not as cold as endless diffuser/flexible bodywork shenanigans. I've certainly been paying more attention than 2012 and 2013.

Proper engine competition is a must for F1. They need to look at how it can be afforded however.

#22 Fisico54

Fisico54

• 1,008 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:02

Difference between RB and Mercedes dominance is that Rosberg+Hamilton have been allowed to fight it out, anybody who think Webber was allowed to compete with Vettel hasn't been paying attention.

For me the only failure of 2014 was the death of Marussia+Caterham, enthusiasts/engineers/teams from lower down the ladder striving to compete in F1 has always been the bedrock that F1 has been built on (and not to mention vital for driver development) and that is now nearly gone

#23 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,329 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:03

One period of dominance switched for another, equally crushing period of dominance. In this decade there have been 2 good years in F1: 2010 and 2012. what did they have in common? Several teams able to compete for victories. This year has been rubbish and the media is hyping up a battle between Lewis and Nico that doesn't even exist: Lewis is obviously the stronger of the two and if it wasn't for bad luck and the stupid double points rule would have wrapped up the title 2 or 3 races ago.

Someone ought to have told Lewis, Nico, Niki and Toto that their battle didn't exist. Might've spared some embarrassment.

#24 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:10

It's been a gripping season because of the merc lads, but I think we'll need some others in the mix next season to keep it up. I think the new engines are incredible, noise aside. It's insane they can get so much power out of so (relatively) little engines

#25 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 15:16

Great racing and a real title battle that could still go either way.

Not the greatest season ever, but much better than last year. Could have been a lot worse.

#26 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 15:25

I agree and would also like to add that for me the lift and coast required to charge the batteries has totally taken away from the spectacle when watching live. This was the final nail in my decision not to attend next year.

#27 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 15:27

That's not the rules fault, the other teams should have done a better job.

Nope, both are to blame.

Some of the manufacturers did a bad job, the rules prevent them from correcting their errors.

#28 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 15:36

Obviously, the engine is the heart of a race car. It was past time F1 did something about it.

The old format was outdated and exausted. F1 gained nothing from it.

#29 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 15:42

The racing got a little better but thats about it for me, 2011 and the second half of 2013 were boring, but this is worse.

#30 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 16:09

New engines SUCKS big time.

Engine freeze and all that crap.

Fuel saving and fuel flow limit is destroying Racing and should not be in F1.

Worst looking cars that have ever been in F1.

Narrow long with ugly front end, not to mention the wings.

1 team has dominated the season and made it boring to follow.

Time for F1 to finally realise that the new engines was a big mistake and ditches them.

They should open up the rule book on the engines and let the teams run what ever they want and use as many engines as they want.

For all you fearmongers that will say the costs will skyrocket if they do that.

Back in the good old days the engines costed a small fraction of todays engines.

Back then they could run what ever they wanted AND as many engines as they wanted.

#31 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 16:51

Time for F1 to finally realise that the new engines was a big mistake and ditches them.

They should open up the rule book on the engines and let the teams run what ever they want and use as many engines as they want.

Back in the good old days the engines costed a small fraction of todays engines.

Back then they could run what ever they wanted AND as many engines as they wanted.

So much has changed since then that it's unbelievable, not least the level of professionalism and technology involved, both of which come at huge cost, making your argument utterly moronic.

It's been a good year for me, the racing has been good more often than not and strong fight between Nico and Lewis for the title and the engines are excellent, so much better than the gutless V8's that needed supper close gears to get them to accelerate.

#32 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 17:04

Back in the day a coffee cost 25 cents. Cost comparisons across decades make no sense.

#33 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,992 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 17:09

I agree and would also like to add that for me the lift and coast required to charge the batteries has totally taken away from the spectacle when watching live

Nonsense, to charge batteries you need to go fast and brake hard.

Also fuel has been a none issue this year.