Photo

Stanford University Revs Digital Photo Library

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,696 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 23:56

I've done a search but can't find any record of this having been discussed before.

Am working my way through it bit by bit (which may take a while :up: )

https://revslib.stanford.edu/

Advertisement

#2 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:44

There have been links on various posts to specific photos from this library.

I have found the following to be helpful.  I click on a specific Photographer (e.g. Karl Ludvigsen), then Venue (this will show which tracks Ludvigsen photographed), then Year (this will show the years' Ludvigsen photographed).  This seems to work for each photographer.

Vince H.

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:10

Yep, lovely collection. I spent some considerable time exploring the John Dugdale pictures: mainly 'happy snaps' (he wasn't a pro) but there are some interesting ones of Gardner's and Cobb's record runs - including colour of the latter - although there are a few misidentifications.

#4 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,696 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:04

Dugdale's book on racing in the 30's is one of my favourites :up:

#5 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,694 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:51

I've done a search but can't find any record of this having been discussed before.

Am working my way through it bit by bit (which may take a while :up: )

https://revslib.stanford.edu/

Yes, the internet is always inventing wonderful new ways to suck up hours of time. 

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,512 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 13:35

Yep, lovely collection. I spent some considerable time exploring the John Dugdale pictures: mainly 'happy snaps' (he wasn't a pro) but there are some interesting ones of Gardner's and Cobb's record runs - including colour of the latter - although there are a few misidentifications.

Please let us know of mis-IDs and these will be corrected ASAP. Many of the images have only process titles at the moment, but a number of people - myself included - are working our way through captioning them correctly.

DCN

#7 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 17:25

Please let us know of mis-IDs and these will be corrected ASAP. Many of the images have only process titles at the moment, but a number of people - myself included - are working our way through captioning them correctly.

DCN

I've just put some individual ones through, but there's a couple of large batches:

Labelled 'Bentley': most - possibly all - are from the European road test which Dugdale did of the Embiricos Bentley for The Autocar in early 1939. Some of them are identified in 'Great Motor Sport of the Thirties'. Might there be duplicates in LAT?

Fourteen pictures labelled 'Miscellaneous' and two labelled '1940 Packards': almost certainly his outward trip with John Cobb in 1939. Some New York port scenes. Street scenes: Salt Lake City? So probably belong in the 'John Cobb Travel' set?

#8 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 18:03

But what a wonderful , accessible archive. Those shots of the Embiricos Bentley , inter alia, are brilliant. What a joy to spend time scrolling through the various sortings by track and years.
For my part there a several sheer gold nuggets in one of the other collections....
Roger Lund

#9 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,512 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 19:17

Glad to hear your reactions - this is indeed a remarkable resource.

DCN

#10 opplock

opplock

• 944 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 19:47

A superb collection of  photos. I have one query. The notes to the 1st photo in Maserati Grand Prix Cars gallery describe the leading car as being Lotus 12, no 17, driven by Cliff Allison. I'm sure that it is a 250F and that the driver is Jo Bonnier (no 11 in that race).     

#11 szautke

szautke

• 89 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 21:19

Yes, the internet is always inventing wonderful new ways to suck up hours of time. 

truer words were never written

#12 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,602 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:12

While browsing the Revs website I came across two US collections identified as 'RDC 2' in May 1959 and 'Cotti RDC' in November 1959.
Does anyone know the location/dates of these events as I have found nothing on the interweb...

Link here...

https://revslib.stan...00&utf8=✓&q=rdc

Thanks in advance
Rob

#13 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:08

Oh those are just fantastic :clap:

#14 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 15:31

While browsing the Revs website I came across two US collections identified as 'RDC 2' in May 1959 and 'Cotti RDC' in November 1959.
Does anyone know the location/dates of these events as I have found nothing on the interweb...

Link here...

https://revslib.stan...00&utf8=✓&q=rdc

Thanks in advance
Rob

Rob

Could it be Cotati in California? The latest few images of the set are labelled Cotati as opposed to Cotti - I think someone has missed out the 'a'. It was also sometimes known as the Golden Gate Raceway apparently, too and there are some images of the Golden Gate bridge in the set aren't there?

http://www.tamsoldra...et/Cotati1.html

Oh, and it tells you what RDC stands for on Tam's page as well - Racing Drivers Club.

Michael

Edited by Michael Oliver, 26 November 2014 - 15:33.

#15 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,602 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 15:58

Nice piece of deduction Michael, I had never heard of Cotati  :wave: 

I searched for 'Cotati' on Revs and some of the 1959 photos returned confirm your suggestion..  :clap:

Thanks
Rob

Edited by Rob Ryder, 26 November 2014 - 19:05.

#16 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 13:42

Nice piece of deduction Michael, I had never heard of Cotati  :wave: 

I searched for 'Cotati' on Revs and some of the 1959 photos returned confirm your suggestion..  :clap:

Thanks
Rob

Good, glad I could help Rob! I think one of the guys I spoke to in connection with my Lotus 19 research sent me some photos of him racing the 19 at Cotati, that's the main way I had heard of it, although I am becoming reasonably familiar with many of the US circuits now as I find a lot of my research ends up being focused there as a lot of UK cars went there, particularly Lotus.