2014 top 10

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#1 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,772 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 22:43

here we go

1- Lewis Hamilton Amazing racer. He reminds a bit that Senna/Mansell style, always fighting the car, not being very tactical, just flat out to the win. He made some minor errors though: specialy in quali were he lost to his team mate for the first time. 11 wins. Title deserved.

2-  Daniel Ricciardo Tough call. But I put him in front of Alonso co's his mission seemed impossible: Facing the most successfull driver of this era, 4 times champion, in his team. He made it! In all fronts. He was the only non Mercedes winner. His Hungary and Spa performances were legend. Lets see how he will keep up next year as a leader, bur for now he was totaly great.

3- Fernando Alonso. Bad car, but a killer instinct like no other: He has one chance? He will take it. Just look at Hungary. All year he was consistent, fast and racer. One of the big stories of the year was the way he beated the highly rated Raikkonen. It was inevitable: Alonso took always the maximum of the car. 

4 - Nico Rosberg. He had the chance to get the title but it all went down in Singapore. It was not Spa as many may say. Singapore was the day he got defeated. Nico has no killer instinct and that is his main weakness. He just stays there going fast but not taking the risks, the tactical brilliance. Nevertheless he took Hamilton to the wire, and was a master on qualifying surprising everyone.

5- Valteri Bottas I'm still not totaly convinced about him. Ok he bested Massa. Ok he was 4th in the championship. But the Williams was to Mercedes the same Lotus was to Red Bull in 2012/13: A very good car that could on a day win the race. Bottas lacked that win to get into the very top. On his favour he had the consistency and the speed to challange the podium and scored a lot of points. He's still very young. He will be even better in the future.

6- Sebastien Vettel Beated soundly by Ricciardo, Vettel lived a new reality: Strugling with a car in the midfield. It must have been very tough for him to realise he is beatable. He didn't lose any of his imense talent but had a more adapted and clever team mate that out raced him no matter the circunstances. Even so he keept going scoring nice points and managed 5th. Maybe Ferrari will give him the car he needs to shine again. 

7 - Jenson Button  Jenson is still a top driver in my book. Consistent points scorer still fast enough to beat a young wolf in quali. He made more than the double of the points of KMag. It would be a massive shame if Formula 1 would lose him for 2015

8- Felipe Massa. Valteri Bottas got on him with excelent perfomances and the brazilian seemed lost in the midle of the season. But then he found ground and got himself very good performances till the end putting the car where it deserved. His final 2 races were very good. Also managed the only non mercedes pole.

9 - Nico Hulkenberg. Not as good as some of the last seasons but still manged to beat his team mate and score good amout of points. The Force India was a very decent car, though.

10- Jean-Eric Vergne. I'm probabily the only fan in the world he has apart from his family. I think he is a very good driver. The Toro Rosso wasn't a great car but he managed 22 points and beated the new "vettel" easly. But his quali pace needs to be better. Some of his fights were memorable [singapore, USA..]. 

Honorable Mention: Sergio Perez. 

Edited by Taxi, 23 November 2014 - 22:49.

Advertisement

#2 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:01

1.Hamilton

2.Ricciardo

3.Rosberg

4.Bottas

5.Alonso

6.Massa

7.Bianchi

8.Vettel

9.Button

10.Vergne

#3 santori

santori

• 4,102 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:08

The three at the top of my list are Hamilton, Ricciardo, Alonso. But that's in their championship order; I'm not sure who was the best. Probably the three best wheel-to-wheel racers on the grid at the moment (although number 9 on this list might have a claim to make it four).

4. Rosberg - not as good a racer as Lewis but there's no shame in that. Very, very fast. 

5. Bottas - Fast, reliable, consistent.

6. Button - I hope he stays, as he deserves to (although having said that this might be the best time to get a top sportscar drive)

7. Massa - in the first half of the year I started to think that Bottas was becoming Williams' number 1 but Massa's performances in the second half put paid to that idea.

8. Bianchi - not a sentimental vote. He had a surprisingly rough start to the year but after that he was the difference between Marussia and their two direct rivals.

9. Vergne - he can't be out of F1. His qualifying hasn't always looked the best but maybe that's because he's concentrated more on race set-up. His racing has often been superb.

10. probably Vettel, although Hulkenberg and Perez were both very good at times. I thought Grosjean was excellent in the first half of the year but a little less so in the second.  

Edited by santori, 23 November 2014 - 23:10.

#4 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:11

1. Ricciardo - honestly been more impressed by him than either Mercedes driver this season, and another very strong drive today.

2. Bottas

3. Hamilton

4. Alonso

5. Rosberg

6. Massa

7. Vettel

8. Kvyat

9. Perez

10. Magnussen

#5 Skizo

Skizo

• 589 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:14

1.Hamilton

2.Ricciardo

3.Rosberg

4.Alonso

5.Button/Bottas

7.Vettel

8.Massa

9.Vergne

10.Hulkenberg

#6 JTSaika

JTSaika

• 405 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:15

1.Ricciardo - Easily the 2nd best driver on the field in terms of pure racecraft that accumulates into exceptional speed. Seemingly trashed a 4 times world Champ and provided some of the best action on track. 
2.Bottas - Much like Ricciardo, his first time in a car worthy of a top team and he handled it with class. Some amazing podiums and fully deserved. His professional attitude; much like with Ricciardo is ace.
3.Alonso - Still i defend, the best driver on the field by a league featuring only him. In another world, more than a 2 time WDC. this year was no exception, still drove to the best the dog of a car could give him. So happy he's out of that fallen team 
4.Kvyat - A rookie or sorts and in a car most would label the worst of the midfield. His professional-ship at such a young age is truly inspiring. An absolute speed freak in qualifying. I will love to see the fight between him and Ricciardo.  
5.Bianchi - Though many would rate him out of sympathy, i do not. Though the 2 points may have been somewhat of a fluke, he still got the car there and post race, was a true man. Every other race he drove spectacular. Once a champ in the making, we will always label him as such. if not a champion in his own right.  
6.Button - 2nd year running, a dog was running in the field, owned by a couple of clowns. Never though did he cry and complain, he got on with it. Drove that McLaren places it shouldn't and did like a true racer. He must stay.
7.Massa - A man i love, and a man i hate. Often does some stupid things, yet at times shows why he was the true 08 champion. He whines, but i get it. He deserves such a car after always being the 2nd man. 
8.Vergne - Who is Vergne? A man overlooked twice now. Another figure in a wave of mid field drivers?. No, not the slightest. Matching both Ricciardo and Kvyat, a driver who will never be forgotten. Let alone have to see go. 
9.Perez - Often an idiot, a boy still in school. The story of a rich man made betting a penny everytime Checo has been told to focus. Yet when he does, he's up there with the best. Another Podium in the bag, A demon on tires. Matching both Button and Hulkenberg; and proving to be better than his replacement. One day if he learns, he will be a force to be reckoned with. 
10.Magnussen - A rookie leading a dog, yet with such class. Some outstanding results in a rookie season, if only a few however. He must stay, one day he'll be up there. 

Honorable Mention: Grosjean. A man once banned from a race. Though the team never gave up, and now one of the best on the field. In a car build by cavemen, paid with pebbles, he never gave up on his mother team. Gave the best he could and has signed for more. Now with a new engine, the day he shines once again may be closer then we think. 

Bottom 5* (#1 being the worst)
1. Maldonado - Once a winner, i continued to support the guy even when he was hated by all. This year though, probably one of the worst ive seen. Crashes after crashes, no sign of learning. I've given up. 
2. Sutil - A man who has almost more race starts then half the grid, yet still languishes in such miserable places. Maybe it's down to the car? but otherwise, still nothing special 
3. Raikkonen/Vettel - You'd expect more from such world champions. one, a man who spearheaded lotus to glory on several occasions. Another, a 4 time world champion.  Though they did better during the second half, the first was still miserable. Though it can be argued both couldn't get used to the car, the rest still did. Still on the field however, lets hope they redeems themselves
4. Gutierrez - Nothing great, nothing special. Maybe the Saubers fault, yet even Ericsson could raise eyesbrows for good reasons. 
5. Hamilton/Rosberg. - Boys in fast toys. A mess of a championship. Cheats, tantrums, friendship apparently of no worth. Never do i rate highly of drivers in dominant cars and this year is no exception. Extreme poor reliability also, the Williams was a better build car. Let us celebrate the engine, for the drivers were shambles.  

Top Teams
1. Williams
2. Mercedes
3. RedBull
4. Toro Rosso
5. Ferrari
6. McLaren/Force India
7. Lotus
8. Marussia
9. Sauber
10.Caterham

Edited by JTSaika, 24 November 2014 - 00:12.

#7 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:16

I'm a faithful poster on the 'Voting Championship' threads in B&G, so what's easier than just counting the points I gave for the drivers over the full season?

Halfway the season Daniel Ricciardo took the lead from Lewis but in the end the WDC also proved to be my 2014 Voting Champion.

So, just for fun, I had a look at my overall VC standings and this is what they are:

1. Hamilton 33

2. Ricciardo 30

3. Rosberg 25

4. Bottas 18

5. Alonso 16

6. Button 15

7. Vettel 14

8. Massa 13

Magnussen 13

10. Hulkenberg 9

Perez 9

Vergne 9

Side notes:

1) Points scored reflect very good performances but don't punish bad performances. Overall I rate Hulk above Perez but that won't show in this way of counting.

2) The advantage of looking at the season this way is that we have a tendency to rate recent performances more than those of months ago. That effect is counterbalanced here.

#8 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:20

1. Ricciardo (did he make a mistake???) Incredible season :clap:
2. Hamilton Fantastic season, deservedly champion but a few mistakes (although he recovered well) prevent him being top of my list :clap:
3. Alonso. Terrible car but Fernando never gives up and rarely makes mistakes. :up:
4. Bottas. A few mistakes but generally very good, especially considering its only his 2nd season. :up:
5. Button. Some great races. Quali has let him down a few times but race day he has almost always got the maximum available. :up:
6. Rosberg. Seems harsh in 6th but although qualifying has been impressive there have been too many mistakes on race day. I feel if other cars were quicker he would have been punished more for these mistakes and been a lot further behind Lewis in the standings.
7.  Bianchi - put in some great qualifying and race performances including scoring those points in Monaco.
8. Vettel - terrible season considering the expectations of a 4x world champ but there were some good performances in there.
9. Hulkenberg - Good start and finish to the season which would have seen him much higher up my list but what happened mid-season???
10. Vergne/Massa/Perez/Kvyat - Can't split them as some great performances on some weekends but also sometimes anonymous in others. Also a lot of costly mistakes - Can't remember with enough accuracy as to who made the least so they are all joint on my list!

Edited by Exb, 23 November 2014 - 23:21.

#9 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,772 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:22

1.Ricciardo
2.Bottas
3.Alonso
4.Kvyat
5.Bianchi
6.Button
7.Massa
8.Vergne.
9.Perez
10.Magnussen. 

Honorable Mention: Grosjean. 

Aren't you forgeting someone? :)

Edited by Taxi, 23 November 2014 - 23:23.

#10 BARHonda006

BARHonda006

• 541 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:22

1. Ricciardo - honestly been more impressed by him than either Mercedes driver this season, and another very strong drive today.
2. Bottas
3. Hamilton
4. Alonso
5. Rosberg
6. Massa
7. Vettel
8. Kvyat
9. Perez
10. Magnussen

You rate Magnussen ahead of his team mate that scored over 100% more points. Laughable...

Edited by BARHonda006, 23 November 2014 - 23:30.

#11 WelshSwan

WelshSwan

• 1,013 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:24

1. Ricciardo

2. Alonso

3. Hamilton.

4. Rosberg.

5. Bottas.

6. Button.

7. Massa.

8. Vettel.

9. Hulkenberg.

10. Vergne.

Honourable mention goes to Jules for Monaco, that was an unbelievable drive.

I know it's probably controversial not to have Lewis in the top 2 but Ricciardo has pulled off some of the best overtaking manouvres race after race and his tyre management has been absolutely fantastic all year. As for Fernando, he has dragged that crap heap of a Ferrari into positions that it definitely had no right to be in. Yes Lewis has had a fantastic season too but in comparison to Ricciardo/Alonso he has had a far superior machine beneath him.

#12 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,772 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:25

You rate Magnussen ahead of his team mate that scored over 50% more points. Laughable...

actualy Button scored over 100% more points than KM. 

#13 BARHonda006

BARHonda006

• 541 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:28

actualy Button scored over 100% more points than KM.

Good point!

#14 Morgan00

Morgan00

• 422 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:28

:rotfl:

#15 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:45

ETA - My top 10 list (not strictly performance based) :cool: :

1. Sebastian - the most impressive of the drivers. He was beaten and slammed down all those who claimed he would rant , rave, and behave like his old teammate toward his new one. He was fantastic in the media despite having the brunt of the issues, and wonderful to his teammate. He struggled a lot and had many tech troubles, but managed to come to grip with the car for a fifth place finish. Considering all he went thru this season, before it even began and throughout, his performance was phenomenal.

2. Lewis. Although he had by far the best car, he was unable to achieve complete domination. I believe he could have. The reliability hurt him, but I think he lost a bit under pressure as he should have dominated his teammate in qualifying and it would have boosted some races by a greater amount than he achieved. don,t get me wrong, a phenomenal job on race day and he took the title which is most important, but he can do a complete mastery and I expect that next season, to the extent Nico does not improve.

3. Valteri - a complete surprise of consistent and fast driving. Overcame a huge deficit due to the Williams lagging and made up for it when the opportunity arose to finish fourth. Great attitude like all the racing Finns.

3. Daniel - another complete surprise. Got right on with the car and never looked back. He had the best reliability on the grid in q and race, and put it to best use. A good attitude for the most part.

3. Nico - a very good first time in the title battle pressure cooker.  In by far the best car, he was very consistent which paid off in the end allowing him to challenge.  However, he was hesitant in his racing from time to time and played the long game (which is good), not quite expertly enough to finish it off.  He too faced reliability, but I think he could have done a better job in those races where he began on pole and did not win or where he was second and failed to overtake.  Next season he has to step it up in those areas.

4.  Fernando  - a good job in the Ferrari, but I think his on track battles could have been more fruitful.  The large discrepancy to his teammate takes a lot of the focus, so his own driving does not get as careful of scrutiny, but overall he did very well in races, with terrific starts.  I think his qualifying could use a lift.

4.  Daniil  - an excellent rookie season.  No real surprise that he did so well in qualifying, but it was good to see him live up to the race potential I believed was there.  Looking forward to seeing him next season in the big boy cars.

4.  Button - a great finish once the Macca came around.  Hopefully he stays in the sport.

5.  Vergne - good drives, too bad RBR have decided against him continuing.

5.  Nico H - good driving, rather invisible at times, but overall pretty consistent when the car had any guts.

Hon. mention to Kimi for his good attitude in what was a horrible season for him; Jules, who had some stonking drives this season; and Sergio, who came back handily at the end.

Edited by bourbon, 25 November 2014 - 22:46.

#16 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:48

This thread can close now. Nobody can top bourbon.

#17 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:49

1. Sebastian - the most impressive of the drivers. He was beaten and slammed down all those who claimed he would rant , rave, and behave like his old teammate toward his new one. He was fantastic in the media despite having the brunt of the issues, and wonderful to his teammate. He struggled a lot and had many tech troubles, but managed to come to grip with the car for a fifth place finish. Considering all he went thru this season, before it even began and throughout, his performance was phenomenal.

3. valteri - a complete surprise of consistent and fast driving. Overcame a huge deficit due to the Williams lagging and made up for it when the opportunity arose to finish fourth. Great attitude like all the racing Finns.

3. Daniel - another complete surprise. Got right on with the car and never looked back. He had the best reliability on the grid in q and race, and put it to best use. A good attitude for the most part.

2. Hamilton. Although he had by far the best car, he was unable to achieve complete domination. I believe he could have. The reliability hurt him, but I think he lost a bit under pressure as he should have dominated his teammate in qualifying and it would have boosted some races by a greater amount than he achieved. don,t get me wrong, a phenomenal job on race day and he took the title which is most important, but he can do a complete mastery and I expect that next season, to the extent Nico does not improve.

4. Nico. TBC...

Thanks for the laughs man... thanks for the laughs!!!  

#18 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:51

I think you have had one too many to drink this evening.

I will post my top 10 tomorrow. Seb should be around 5-7, and most will say I am being generous. 

Edited by sennafan24, 23 November 2014 - 23:52.

#19 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,772 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:00

I mean, leaving Maldonado out... :mad:

Advertisement

#20 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,543 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:01

3. valteri - a complete surprise of consistent and fast driving. Overcame a huge deficit due to the Williams lagging and made up for it when the opportunity arose to finish fourth. Great attitude like all the racing Finns.

2. Hamilton. Although he had by far the best car, he was unable to achieve complete domination. I believe he could have. The reliability hurt him, but I think he lost a bit under pressure as he should have dominated his teammate in qualifying and it would have boosted some races by a greater amount than he achieved. don,t get me wrong, a phenomenal job on race day and he took the title which is most important, but he can do a complete mastery and I expect that next season, to the extent Nico does not improve.

4. Nico. TBC...

Quite apart from your ludicrous suggestion that Vettel was the best driver this season, what do you mean Ricciardo had 'A good attitude for the most part.' Please don't tell me this is in reference to his telling the team that Seb was holding him up when they were on different tyre strategies in a couple of races...

#21 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:03

This thread can close now. Nobody can top bourbon.

i thought jtsaika took it with a delusional rant but bourbon stormed in and took right from under his nose. POW! :lol:

#22 JTSaika

JTSaika

• 405 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:05

I updated it. Dont think i forgot anyone :/ though i was juggling the thought of Huk in 10th instead. 

delusional rant

Huh? I gave nothing but praise to the top 10 and deserved criticism to the bottom 5*

Though i must say, Vettel #1? hehehe ;p

Edited by JTSaika, 24 November 2014 - 00:07.

#23 Treads

Treads

• 2,806 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:09

2. Bottas

3. Hamilton

4. Alonso

5. Rosberg

6. Massa

7. Vettel

8. Kvyat

9. Perez

10. Magnussen

So you rate Perez above Hulk? Magnussen above Button? Massa above Button despite being in a vastly better car and barely beating him? Massa has had a terrible season! 

#24 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:11

I admire anyone who is a true fan, and sticks with their favourite drivers through good and bad times. However, I have always felt to be a true fan of a driver, you have to be both supportive and reasonably honest

I don't think it does Seb any justice to rank him in the top 3 drivers this year. If someone gives such high acclaim to Seb for such a sub-par year, it does not mean much when they give acclaim to Seb during his best years.

It sort of adds ridicule to Seb to rank him so highly this year.

Edited by sennafan24, 24 November 2014 - 00:12.

#25 Treads

Treads

• 2,806 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:12

2. Lewis. Although he had by far the best car, he was unable to achieve complete domination. I believe he could have. The reliability hurt him, but I think he lost a bit under pressure as he should have dominated his teammate in qualifying and it would have boosted some races by a greater amount than he achieved. don,t get me wrong, a phenomenal job on race day and he took the title which is most important, but he can do a complete mastery and I expect that next season, to the extent Nico does not improve.

3. Valteri - a complete surprise of consistent and fast driving. Overcame a huge deficit due to the Williams lagging and made up for it when the opportunity arose to finish fourth. Great attitude like all the racing Finns.

3. Nico - a very good first time in the title battle pressure cooker.  In by far the best car, he was very consistent which paid off in the end allowing him to challenge.  However, he was hesitant in his racing from time to time and played the long game (which is good), not quite expertly enough to finish it off.  He too faced reliability, but I think he could have done a better job in those races where he began on pole and did not win or where he was second and failed to overtake.  Next season he has to step it up in those areas.

4.  Fernando  - a good job in the Ferrari, but I think his on track battles could have been more fruitful.  The large discrepancy to his teammate takes a lot of the focus, so his own driving does not get as careful of scrutiny, but overall he did very well in races, with terrific starts.  I think his qualifying could use a lift.

4.  Daniil  - an excellent rookie season.  No real surprise that he did so well in qualifying, but it was good to see him live up to the race potential I believed was there.  Looking forward to seeing him next season in the big boy cars.

4.  Button - a great finish once the Macca came around.  Hopefully he stays in the sport.

5.  Nico H - good driving, rather invisible at times, but overall pretty consistent when the car had any guts.

Hon. mention to Kimi for his good attitude in what was a horrible season for him; Jules, who had some stonking drives this season; and Sergio, who came back handily at the end.

This post is a joke right? 

#26 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 1,131 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:13

#27 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:14

Quite apart from your ludicrous suggestion that Vettel was the best driver this season, what do you mean Ricciardo had 'A good attitude for the most part.' Please don't tell me this is in reference to his telling the team that Seb was holding him up when they were on different tyre strategies in a couple of races...

Best driver?  The thread is labeled "2014 Top 10" so I used my own criteria which I presented. 

In terms of drivers in combination with their cars and who did the best under the new regulations - just look at the standings and you have my list.  Duplication would be pointless.

#28 tmzxaar

tmzxaar

• 379 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:14

Not sure if really delusional or joking

#29 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,215 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:18

Really judging on your criteria for greatness in the season Kimi should be right up there with Seb, and probably in front as he didn't chuck a hissy fit at the team on the radio all year, I think Kimi pipped him in the Bourbon elite criteria of 2014. 

#30 JTSaika

JTSaika

• 405 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:18

The more i read, the more i understand the angle. If anything though i'd rate that on his personality more then his actual season. He did handle things with class. We must remember that at the start of the season, many of us wondered if Redbull would even be able to race let alone challange at the top. To be honest! Ending up where he did in the WDC standings, that was actually pretty good. I do give props to Vettel, probably would have given more had he not have the history he does. #1 position is an overstatement but maybe on another day, he'd be in my top 10. However i'm not going to waver on my thought he could have done so much more seeing as Ricciardo did. I will however place as much blame on Redbull as i do to Mercedes with the reliability mess. 

Ricciardo drove (perhaps) better in 2013 than 2014. But I guess none of you had him in top last year  :)

There's a big difference in racing a mid field car and a top field car. Not only has he handled everything with such class, but the way he fought up through the field in many races this year shows how much improvement he has actually made. I'd say he probably improved the most over the year/pre season.  

Edited by JTSaika, 24 November 2014 - 00:23.

#31 Ospif1

Ospif1

• 262 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:26

There could be a lot said about being gracious in defeat in here...wow. 

1. Hamilton 

2. Ricciardo

3. Bottas

4. Rosberg

5. Alonso

6. Kvyat

7. Button

8. Vettel

9. Bianchi 

10. Massa

#32 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:37

1. Ricciardo

2. Hamilton

3. Alonso

4. Rosberg

5. Bottas

6. Vettel

7. Massa

8. Button

9. Bianchi 

10. Vergne

#33 drag

drag

• 162 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:40

No need for Top 10 , its enough if we praise Top 5 and I will agree completely with OP.

#34 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:50

giphy.gif

For the most part? When has the guy not had a good attitude?

#35 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,543 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:52

Best driver?  The thread is labeled "2014 Top 10" so I used my own criteria which I presented. 

In terms of drivers in combination with their cars and who did the best under the new regulations - just look at the standings and you have my list.  Duplication would be pointless.

Dear lord... if it is a '2014 Top 10' thread and you list drivers in what seems to be numerical order, it is logical to assume that the driver with a 1 next to their name is in your opinion deemed to be 'the best'. If you don't want to confuse us simple folk with numbers just list the driver's name in no particular order then.

And you still haven't explained what was your issue with Ricciardo's attitude?

#36 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:53

I admire anyone who is a true fan, and sticks with their favourite drivers through good and bad times. However, I have always felt to be a true fan of a driver, you have to be both supportive and reasonably honest.

I don't think it does Seb any justice to rank him in the top 3 drivers this year. If someone gives such high acclaim to Seb for such a sub-par year, it does not mean much when they give acclaim to Seb during his best years.

It sort of adds ridicule to Seb to rank him so highly this year.

Hmm I'm not sure he even deserves to be in the top 10 really...

#37 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:04

not going to bother with 10

1. ricciardo- most impressive driver of the season. utterly out performed his team mate as a newbie in the top team. and on top of that, amazing race craft. always seems to get way more out of the situation than you would expect.
pit lane start to 4th! 3 race wins in a car that couldn't complete a lap in testing? just awesome.

now if we can get him in the Williams... lol

#38 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 838 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:04

Not sure why those who did still rated Kimi highly prior to this season. He showed himself to my massa's equal.

O right, there was always some excuse why he couldn't shadow Massa the way the great Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso did...

My bad.

#39 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:06

1. Ham. Pretty much sport on all year, with some properly fabulous drives
2. Ric - I've out these two together - ric was a revelation, Ros took one of the era's greats to the wire in his first experience of a WDC campaign and beat him in quali
- Ros
4. Bot - keeps stepping on up. I really want to see how he copes when the pressure is really on
5. Alo - fairly quiet season from nando really IMHO, with the odd bit of greatness. Completely thrashed rai, but he was potentially the worst driver on the grid this season
6. But - mainly based on the last third, but some great performances to bring macca limping home in 4th
7. JEV - some really really good races, shame if he loses a seat in 2015
8. Hulk - good overall performance in 2014, bit of a dip though
9. Mas - seemed to get some spark back - his pole and the race today were highlights
10. Vet. Not really sure about putting him here. Bit of a disastrous season for vettel on a number of counts. We'll have to wait and see how the rest of his career pans out, but being battered by his new teammate to that extent, in the car that finished second in the wcc certainly heavily dented his stock. Seems even more ridiculous than it did last year that people were putting him up there with Senna, fangio, schumi et al. Still, he had a few good moments. I think it's between him and bianchi for this spot

Advertisement

#40 keiichi

keiichi

• 527 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:08

Apparently you always seem to select your "own criteria" in a way that allows you to rate Vettel higher than Jesus Christ himself.

Try to be serious for a change. You might start to enjoy it...

#41 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:10

Bourbon wins the internet!

#42 johnzaxxon

johnzaxxon

• 63 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:17

Bourbon, all I can say is this:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NzlG28B-R8Y

#43 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,593 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:18

1  Lewis Hamilton

2  Nico Rosberg

3  Daniel Ricciardo

4  Valtteri Bottas

5  Fernando Alonso

6  Felipe Massa

7  Nico Hulkenberg

8  Sergio Perez

9  Jules Bianchi

10  Kamui Kobayashi

Vettel and Kimi got trounced by their teammates this year.  I'm utterly baffled as to why Ferrari hired Vettel for 2015 -- I would have gone after Ricciardo. The shear amount of money Ferrari will by spending on drivers' salaries in 2015 is mind blowing -- it's by far the least bang-for-your-buck on the grid.

Edited by MattPete, 24 November 2014 - 01:23.

#44 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,635 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:24

1. Sebastian - the most impressive of the drivers. . . . .

. . . . . .

. . . . . .

. . . . . .

(Now Seb - Rover and I want the photos and the negatives. You promised.)

#45 Wretched

Wretched

• 85 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:33

1. Ricciardo

2. Bottas

3. Rosberg

4. Alonso

5. Hamilton

6. Massa

7. Vettel

8. Button

9. Hulkenberg

10. Kyvat

Edited by Wretched, 24 November 2014 - 01:33.

#46 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:33

1. Ricciardo
2. Hamilton
3. Bottas
4. Alonso
5. Button
6. Rosberg
7. Bianchi (before his accident)
8. Vergne
9. Hulkenberg
10. Perez

#47 Kenstate

Kenstate

• 375 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:35

I tried to take consideration of the cars out of the equation. 

1. ricciardo-- this guy might already be the best overtaker in F1. I can't remember him putting a wheel wrong in a battle (except in silverstone when he couldnt get around hulkenberg and let alonso through) and has flashed outstanding speed all year. \

needs improvement on: some of his starts were just terrible

2. alonso-- consistently brilliant, dominating his teammate in both races and qualification and always racing faster cars in positions he should not be in. Nearly pulled off the improbable win in hungary. only other guy besides ricciardo to beat both mercedes in a race.

needs improvement on: he dominated kimi in qualifying, but sometimes didn't hook his fastest sectors together on a flying lap. had some uncharacteristically poor starts at the beginning of the year.

3. hamilton-- demonstrated patience and level headedness in race trim. tended to be faster throughout the race compared to his teammate. 

needs improvment on: made a couple mistakes (spins) that lost him a few races and could've been worse if his car wasn't so good. some mental misjudgements/mistakes in quali

4. bottas-- flashed incredible speed both in quali and in race trim, especially impressive in the first part of the year. impressive under pressure (see: hamilton vs bottas @ hockenheim)

needs improvement on: form broke down in the last stretch of races. aside from silverstone, tended to struggle when put back into traffic.

5. rosberg-- very consistent scoring points and managing car troubles. impressive feat to beat lewis in qualifying trim.

needs improvment on: mental errors under pressure when racing wheel to wheel, trouble keeping up with adjustments to the track, often suffered more tire wear than lewis

6. vettel-- unlucky in the first half of the year, but performed way below ricciardo's level at some other races. had some stunning drives to show that he still has elite capability: japan, spain, spa. inconsistent form, but has massively improved his racecraft

needs improvement on: qualifying was not as strong this year, very close to being knocked out of Q2 or actually missed Q3 a couple times. 

7. button-- uneven in the first half of the year, it wasn't until suzuka when i felt he really stood out from magnussen. (perhaps motivated by impending threat of losing seat?). qualified a lot better than I expected against a hyped rookie driver.

needs improvement on: nothing really, this second half form from jenson is as good as I've seen him perform in the last 3 years. it was the first half that really hurt him

8. Vergne-- again, uneven in the first half of the year, it wasn't until hungary that vergne had a truly standout drive. (perhaps motivated by the loss of his seat?) since then, has flashed surprising ability to put his car in places it shouldn't be in. 

needs improvement on: qualifying.

9. massa-- the only luck he has is bad luck. Whether it's the pit crew not putting on the right tires, long pitstops, getting caught up in other people's messes, his race goes sour. showed that he still has the speed with the pole in austria, but I felt he always lacked the ability to salvage good finishes from bad situations/recover from errors until singapore. since then, he's carried that momentum through the rest of the year. 

needs improvement on: silly mistakes like driving into other teams' pitboxes, and some of the accidents he's gotten into could have been avoided (hockenheim, canada). racecraft ability has also been weak for massa, often getting caught behind slower traffic and unable to pass. In lap/out laps were also a problem for him, as he got leapfrogged several times throughout the year because of this.

10. bianchi-- scored the first points for marussia. only fitting that he gets the final points paying position. keep fighting jules.

#48 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:35

Alonso was great. Ricciardo blossomed into a real racer. Lewis held his head together. Button showed incredible consistency once again. Williams kept racing till the end which was nice.

Lotus had a bad year, happy that they survived. Renault fought back like true professionals. Perez and Hulk did OK. Merc blew everyone away.

I guess that is a top ten right there!

#49 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:45

Dear lord... if it is a '2014 Top 10' thread and you list drivers in what seems to be numerical order, it is logical to assume that the driver with a 1 next to their name is in your opinion deemed to be 'the best'. If you don't want to confuse us simple folk with numbers just list the driver's name in no particular order then.

And you still haven't explained what was your issue with Ricciardo's attitude?

Well I thought it was pretty clear since I didn't say that Seb was #1 because he drove the best in combination with his equipment/team-  and instead was talking about attitude and triumph over hardship - and then went on to say Lewis won tons of races and the title and is #2.  Clearly I wasn't using traditional criteria of races, poles, podiums and title wins.  No idea why anyone would be confused unless they didn't bother reading it and just looked at the numbers.  Even then, there are only 5 numbers for the 10 drivers so that should have be a bit of a clue. 

Bourbon wins the internet!

:p   I try. 

Edited by bourbon, 24 November 2014 - 01:49.

#50 Redback

Redback

• 1,283 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:48

Wow!

I'm not sure of your gender, but your agenda is pretty transparent!  Unfortunately for you, I'm pretty sure Seb has already chosen a partner to bear his children.   ;)

Don't stop trying though, - your efforts are an inspiration to us all...  :clap:

Personally, my criteria are based on raw speed, race-craft, percentage extracted from the machinery at their disposal, results relative to team-mate, mistakes (or lack thereof) and personality:

1. Ricciardo

2. Alonso/Hamilton

4. Bottas

5. Rosberg

6. Button

7. Vettel

8. Massa

9. Vergne

10. Bianchi