Photo
- - - - -

Ferrari upheavals - implications for Sauber & Haas ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,965 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 14:02

Sauber is of course now the only Ferrari engine/PU customer left following Marussia's demise; with Haas to come in for 2016.

All the same, there is often much talk in the media about the small teams funding the R&D of their engine suppliers through exorbitant fees being charged for supply. So where does this leave Sauber, which does not appear to be in the best of health - waiting for Haas to arrive, and hoping that nothing goes wrong there ?

Advertisement

#2 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,497 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 14:28

If Ferrari honors contracts like Sauber does to his drivers, then they would ask 100m/year for the engine. ;)

#3 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,965 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 15:36

Maybe Sauber has been to the Ron Dennis School of Charm when it comes to drivers ?

Seriously, there might be two sides to the coin when it comes to Sutil & van der Garde. Had they delivered what was agreed (whatever taht was), I think it is reasonable to expect that they would have been retained.

Anyway, my point was about the engine supply situation rather than drivers.

#4 Sash1

Sash1

• 1,290 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 15:37

Sauber just has to hope Ferrari manages to improve its engine significantly before the start of the race next year or it will be another mediocre year for them. They might even be better off with a Renault PU. 

#5 ATM

ATM

• 1,021 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 00:55

Well, it's a chicken-and-egg situation now. Less teams means less data for the builder to work on improving...well...whatever they are allowed to improve on the engine. With only themselves and Sauber as data collectors next year, it's kind of hard to believe Ferrari will take a giant step forward. From this point of view, the only ones in a worse position would be Honda. 

Renault left with only 2 teams to supply (I wonder how much can they carry on before another sabbatical will be raised by their board of directors?), Sauber would be (I guess) delighted to buy a Mercedes PU should the situation arise; I just hope we won't get a repeat of the 1970's years, when Ford supplied sometimes about 85% of the grid. With Mercedes as the main supplier this time, of course. 

#6 J2NH

J2NH

• 1,937 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:13

If Mercedes maintains its obvious advantage going into next season it must be difficult for the engine customers to justify the expense.  

#7 RockBrocaine

RockBrocaine

• 107 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:26

Ferrari is not in a position to demand more for that paper weight. With Marussia out of the picture, they don't want their most loyal customer to walk. Honda becoming available in 2016 would make for a sweet change for a struggling team like Sauber. Look what Mercedes did for Williams. Ferrari has nothing to be arrogant about these days.

#8 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,965 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:30

Sauber-Ferrari

Sauber-Honda

Sauber-Mercedes

Sauber-Renault

Hmm...which sounds best ? We have already had Sauber-Mercedes (and BMW Sauber, of course) and currently have Sauber-Ferrari - although I do not think that Ferrari is even mentioned anywhere on the car.

Sauber-Renault has a nice ring to it.