Photo
- - - - -

Bob Bell

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Bob Bell (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Where will Bob Bell be for 2015?

1. McLaren (33 votes [41.25%])

Percentage of vote: 41.25%

2. Ferrari (24 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Ferrari with Ross Brawn (10 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Red Bull to take over from Newey (9 votes [11.25%])

Percentage of vote: 11.25%

5. Outside F1 (4 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 purpleturtle

purpleturtle

• 323 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:06

Bob Bell resigned from Merc in December 2013, and is leaving the company in November 2014 (now). http://www1.skysport...-leave-the-team

He is a first rate technical director and success seems to follow him where he goes. Bell was Renault's Technical Director during the championship winning 2005 and 2006 seasons. This year's Merc success must be greatly attributed to him as he was Technical Director during the design of the W05.

His fate may be linked with Ross Brawn, Ross Brawn hired him and they both resigned at similar times just before Merc's dominance, and yet this year's success is largely attributable to these two men. However, when Mercedes brought Paddy Lowe in above Bob Bell, this was in effect a demotion for Bob Bell.

Most rumours I've read have said he is off to Ferrari, but I've also read some that say he is off to McLaren. Both are desperate for some high-level insight into the W05 dominance. 

http://adamcooperf1....e-ferrari-role/

The most recent rumour I've seen from today:

‏@realF1Spy

BREAKING: BOB BELL is close to returning to the @F1 scene! Sources link him to @McLarenF1 @adamcooperF1 @alo_oficial @bgarloff @NobleF1

https://twitter.com/...966587564060672

Anyways, I think he is hot property at the moment and will stay in F1, the question is, with whom?

Edited by purpleturtle, 25 November 2014 - 07:25.

Advertisement

#2 aguri

aguri

• 418 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:14

If he went to McLaren it would be to replace Sam Michael, or potentially Tim Goss?

#3 purpleturtle

purpleturtle

• 323 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:19

If he went to McLaren it would be to replace Sam Michael, or potentially Tim Goss?

Maybe. Or perhaps replicate the top heavy structure of Mercedes (Aldo Costa, Geoff Willis, Paddy Lowe) in which case Goss would stay.

#4 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:45

If you can get them, stack them up then sort the order.

#5 Logiso

Logiso

• 313 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:50

I remember the reason they got rid of Whitmarsh was because they believed having a TP was outdated, so yeah making some sort of Mercedes like hierarchy would be the logical conclusion at McLaren which would fit with Bob Bell going there.

#6 loki0420

loki0420

• 997 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:12

Hopefully McLaren. Seems like recent Merc tactics of picking every TD available at the time is paying off so worth a try.

#7 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:44

I don't think Bob Bell would be interested in a Sporting role. The Sporting Director role does not have much to do wiith the engineering side of the business.

Sam Michael accepted a Sporting role because I guess at Williams he realized he's not a good Technical director.

#8 purpleturtle

purpleturtle

• 323 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:18

Bob Bell recently won motorsport engineer of the year award http://www.professio...inners_2014.php

I think this highlight's his importance.

Edited by purpleturtle, 26 November 2014 - 05:20.

#9 hankalis

hankalis

• 471 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:04

Hopefully McLaren. Seems like recent Merc tactics of picking every TD available at the time is paying off so worth a try.

Sorry to pick on you (you are not the only one promoting this idea): what evidence is there that Mercedes success is a consequence of them hiring all those top managers? Being top heavy the way they have been (it is less true now) is certainly not considered a good organisational practice in most businesses.

I have the feeling it is just a case of people witnessing a big success (Mercedes) and retrospectively labeling all what they've done over the recent period as "obviously the right thing to do"

#10 MikeMM

MikeMM

• 884 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:36

Sorry to pick on you (you are not the only one promoting this idea): what evidence is there that Mercedes success is a consequence of them hiring all those top managers? Being top heavy the way they have been (it is less true now) is certainly not considered a good organisational practice in most businesses.

I have the feeling it is just a case of people witnessing a big success (Mercedes) and retrospectively labeling all what they've done over the recent period as "obviously the right thing to do"

For one thing they weakened their rivals.

#11 loki0420

loki0420

• 997 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 15:24

i am not promoting the idea. I was half serious in the second sentence. But it's kinda predictable that you should look closely into the strategy that got one certain team to that level. That is not equal to 'do everything the same way'.

#12 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,342 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 15:42

Two words ... People Management.

If its one thing that i think Ross excels at is the fact that he is very to the point, egos are checked at the door and above all he is respected by his peers. He has a very good talent of utilizing peoples strengths and placing them in the correct jobs in an organization.

It was indeed top heavy in certain respects but there was no overlap of who was responsible for what. Everyone had an important task to perform that supported the whole organization and i would venture to guess that the structure actually worked as pretty much after all the major elements were put in place progress was made.

The W04 was not a bad drive last year and that was bettered with the W05. Something must have worked and you cant sum it all up on the engine.

#13 purpleturtle

purpleturtle

• 323 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:58

Don't have an autosport subscription, any new info in the new autosport feature?

Edited by purpleturtle, 05 December 2014 - 01:59.

#14 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:09

Don't have an autosport subscription, any new info in the new autosport feature?

None, it's more of a retrospective on his contribution to this years Merc.

I can't help feeling that if they were going to push Ross out the door regardless, it might have been a better idea to promote Bell to the TP role instead, he did an excellent job in running Renault after Crash Gate hit the team with a vengeance back in 09.

#15 purpleturtle

purpleturtle

• 323 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:12

Move along - bought the article - nothing added that we didn't already know.

#16 purpleturtle

purpleturtle

• 323 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:17

None, it's more of a retrospective on his contribution to this years Merc.

I can't help feeling that if they were going to push Ross out the door regardless, it might have been a better idea to promote Bell to the TP role instead, he did an excellent job in running Renault after Crash Gate hit the team with a vengeance back in 09.

Yep. I think a lot of the current Mercedes organisation stems back to when McLaren rejected a proposed buyout by Mercedes and started competing with Mercedes road cars. It was personal.

I believe Mercedes retaliated by buying their own team and then head-hunting the two key people accountable for McLaren's performance - Paddy Lowe and Lewis Hamilton.

They had to slot a Mercedes figurehead in, and the ex-McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe in somewhere. Toto (the Mercedes figurehead) took Brawn's position, Paddy Lowe took Bob Bell's. Doesn't mean Brawn or Bell are any less talented (in fact, they're arguably more), just means they didn't fit in anywhere.

Edited by purpleturtle, 05 December 2014 - 02:19.

#17 hiddenpace

hiddenpace

• 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:15

Bell was important to Mercedes' success. You can be sure the other top teams will pay a premium to pick his brain on the process

#18 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 14:54

I think there are offers from both sides Ferrari and McLaren. Maybe more money from Ferrari ? At Ferrari he would replace Fry right?

Where would they fit him in McLaren?

#19 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,224 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 13:56

Much as I love Ferrari, as a top engineer, McLaren would look a much better prospect to work for right now. The Ferrari ship is in a political turmoil and sinking fast

Advertisement

#20 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,360 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 14:54

I think he'll join McLaren. Let's see where he goes. 

#21 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 15:42

Aren't there rumours he's joining Ferrari in the spring ?

#22 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 17:46

Aren't there rumours he's joining Ferrari in the spring ?

That's what I also heard - I thought Bell/Ferrari was a done deal?

Any news?

#23 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 18:21

Ferrari never managed to pull it off.... But with the amount of investment going on at McLaren he may be tempted. But he's not short of a few quid and projects to get stuck in to - so who knows........

#24 blacky

blacky

• 2,361 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 18:27

Rumour was the he starts working in Maranello at March, but who knows, only Gazzetta...

#25 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 19:50

Wikipedia says he's at Ferrari for 2015. Done deal.

#26 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 19:52

Wikipedia says he's at Ferrari for 2015. Done deal.

Hardly the bastion of truth is it?

just a tad better than twitter & Dailymail 

#27 PedroR

PedroR

• 200 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:52

I have a dude..
Who is the chasis boss in McLaren actually?

#28 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:09

Much as I love Ferrari, as a top engineer, McLaren would look a much better prospect to work for right now. The Ferrari ship is in a political turmoil and sinking fast

I bet things are far more dramatic in people's minds than in reality with regards to the 'turmoil' at Ferrari.

#29 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,312 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:12

I bet things are far more dramatic in people's minds than in reality with regards to the 'turmoil' at Ferrari.

Yeah, that's probably why two team principals have been sacked in one year, the star driver left and the president got pushed out. 

No turmoil at all. Calm waters all the way. 

#30 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:31

Maybe it's the opposite and things are even more dramatic then in people's minds

#31 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:30

Yeah, that's probably why two team principals have been sacked in one year, the star driver left and the president got pushed out. 

No turmoil at all. Calm waters all the way. 

LOL  :rotfl:

Smooth sailing at Ferrari 

#32 purpleturtle

purpleturtle

• 323 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:27

some rumors on #Bell says it has already signed with #Ferrari, others that he cancelled the #Ferrari deal at the last minute. #Speedweek

https://twitter.com/LorenzoDL83

#33 purpleturtle

purpleturtle

• 323 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:41

Manor! Did not see this coming.

#34 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:45

Manor! Did not see this coming.

Odd. I wonder why the big teams didn't want him? Or maybe he's just ready to work with a small team again.

#35 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:50

Maybe its a precursor to working with a big team on customer cars? Something fishy, for sure. 

#36 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:59

Does this mean Renault are buying Manor? At least two reports said the plan devised by Remy Taffin involved Bob Bell.

#37 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,469 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:04

This is starting to look like a career path for ex TDs. Pat Symonds worked at Marussia for a couple of years before joining Williams. 

#38 Strontiumdog

Strontiumdog

• 162 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:08

Is it possible that Renault might be coming back in with Manor but applying the same model / sharing scheme "MercedesAMG" currentlyemplys (50/40/10 split with Toto Wolff / Niki Lauda) with Bell being the "Toto / Lauda" in this case ?

#39 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:28

i sthis a McLaren, Renault or Ferrari move?

Advertisement

#40 DESCHAIN

DESCHAIN

• 190 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 13:13

This is starting to look like a career path for ex TDs. Pat Symonds worked at Marussia for a couple of years before joining Williams. 

My thoughts exactly.

i sthis a McLaren, Renault or Ferrari move?

I don't think it's Ferrari,

But it could be that Manor is heading into a path to become theMcLaren Honda "B-team", a la Haas. They allready have McLaren ties.

Or Renault starting basically from scratch.

#41 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 13:24

Or it could be that this is a just a zero-hours, minimum wage job for the summer.

There were indeed rumours that Marussia was being funded by Sports Direct. If all their team strip goes bobbly after one wash, we'll know for sure.

#42 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,966 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:14

The announcement refers to 2015 only. Sounds like a holding position while waiting for something else.

#43 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:48

Or they didn't want to give too much away in terms of long term stuff.

Bell is way too good for Manor as it sits.. so something is coming.

#44 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,518 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:06

Or they didn't want to give too much away in terms of long term stuff.

Bell is way too good for Manor as it sits.. so something is coming.

I doubt it. It is probably just a 1 year advisory position. He will move to whatever team Renault has bought in 2016.

#45 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:12

Unless they have bought Manor?

#46 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:21

It will be interesting to see if McLaren side with Manor or ART GP or neither. The outcome of that will give us a clearer picture of what's happening with Bob Bell surely.

#47 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,518 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:22

Unless they have bought Manor?

I can't believe that they would buy the smallest team on the grid, no debt or not.

#48 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,239 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:32

Interesting. 

Methinks there is more than that Irish man's money and the FOM money at play here. I'm sure the team would happily have a bigger team put money into them in whatever form it took.

#49 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:32

more flexible that way i guess

#50 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,001 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:58

Ferrari makes more sense no? as they are running the Ferrari PU and gearbox?