Photo
- - - - -

[RUMOUR] Fernando Alonso to drive for Porsche (and McLaren) in 2015

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think? (165 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think?

1. Bad idea. (12 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

2. Looking forward to it!!. (92 votes [55.76%])

Percentage of vote: 55.76%

3. McLaren will never allow it. (61 votes [36.97%])

Percentage of vote: 36.97%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 21:29

@Rowlinson_F1: Rumour at #AbuDhabiGP is that @alo_oficial will be at #LeMans in this: Porsche LMP1 http://t.co/WmgKZyVMtt

Advertisement

#2 thechin

thechin

• 589 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 21:32

@Rowlinson_F1: Rumour at #AbuDhabiGP is that @alo_oficial will be at #LeMans in this: Porsche LMP1 http://t.co/WmgKZyVMtt

I guess he really can drive where he wants. Quite a big thing if Mclaren and Honda have agreed to this.

Very exciting though. More drivers should push to do things like this. If I had to back a current F1 driver to come in and do well on a one off appearance it would be Alonso. 

#3 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 21:35

I would squeal and then queue for autographs at the Porsche LMP1 pit during Le Mans week for as long as it takes if this comes to fruition. And with a general admission pass you can walk freely through the outer paddock on Tuesday-Friday, so there's every chance of bumping, during those days, into a Webber or a Wurz or a Davidson or a Lotterer... or an Alonso if this happens.

Whoever employs FA next year in F1, PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN.

#4 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 21:42

I would squeal and then queue for autographs at the Porsche LMP1 pit during Le Mans week for as long as it takes if this comes to fruition. And with a general admission pass you can walk freely through the outer paddock on Tuesday-Friday, so there's every chance of bumping, during those days, into a Webber or a Wurz or a Davidson or a Lotterer... or an Alonso if this happens.

Whoever employs FA next year in F1, PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN.

Introducing his copilot:

dms1411my04.jpg

Edited by NoSanityClause, 24 November 2014 - 21:43.

#5 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 21:57

@Rowlinson_F1: .@_markgallagher Well if rumour is right then 2-race WEC deal for @alo_oficial as well as @McLarenF1. Poss same for @NicoHulkenberg also

#6 Amz964

Amz964

• 1,396 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 22:02

Well Porsche just announced on autosport that they have given the green light for a 3rd car at Le mans so Alonso can do the Le mans 24 hours perhaps, not sure if there is any plans for running the 3rd car anywhere else spa perhaps?? like Audi do if the 2 race deal rumor is correct.

#7 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 23:27

Well Porsche just announced on autosport that they have given the green light for a 3rd car at Le mans so Alonso can do the Le mans 24 hours perhaps, not sure if there is any plans for running the 3rd car anywhere else spa perhaps?? like Audi do if the 2 race deal rumor is correct.

One other race. Spa.

http://www.motorspor...car-for-le-mans

#8 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:02

Anthony Rowlinson (Editor of F1 Racing magazine. Haymarket motorsport group editor.)

1a8fx48.jpg

GT Porsche (The biggest independent print and digital #Porsche magazine)

2ai6bvp.jpg

Fernando best friend in twitter (note that he is known for trolling)

3atcllo.jpg

Fernando said not long ago that he was working on something that fans will like (outside F1).

Edited by kosmos, 25 November 2014 - 07:06.

#9 aguri

aguri

• 418 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:17

Webber, Alonso, Hulkenburg at Le Mans  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

#10 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,216 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:18

If anything the announcement of the third Porsche entry may have been waiting on the season end and what Jenson Button was doing, there may have been some traction there instead. If it is indeed Jenson leaving Formula One, Ron Dennis needs a punch in the throat. No opportunity for the F1 community to say good bye to one of its favourite drivers.

#11 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:22

If anything the announcement of the third Porsche entry may have been waiting on the season end and what Jenson Button was doing, there may have been some traction there instead. If it is indeed Jenson leaving Formula One, Ron Dennis needs a punch in the throat. No opportunity for the F1 community to say good bye to one of its favourite drivers.

Porsche To Run Third Car At Le Mans; Still Says Button Won't Drive It

http://blackflag.jal...dium=socialflow

#12 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:22

Was thinking the same thing that Alonso would drive it, when I first read about Porsche running 3 cars at Le mans 24h.

Edited by Gyno, 25 November 2014 - 07:23.

#13 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:30

Wait a minute, McLaren directly competes with Ferrari and Porsche in the road car business, why would they allow Alonso to drive for a rival at Le Mans? 

Alonso would have a LaFerrari, a P1 and a 918 from all 3 manufacturers? What a lucky boy.

#14 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:48

Would be very exciting to watch.  I hope it happens.  :D

#15 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,769 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:06

Wait a minute, McLaren directly competes with Ferrari and Porsche in the road car business, why would they allow Alonso to drive for a rival at Le Mans? 

Alonso would have a LaFerrari, a P1 and a 918 from all 3 manufacturers? What a lucky boy.

Makes no sense from a competition POV, but McLaren are desperate to have Alonso so they might have bitten.

#16 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 703 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:19

it would be instead of McLaren at F1, no way they would let him race for a rival at Le Mans

#17 Sash1

Sash1

• 1,291 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:20

If Honda pays his salary, Honda will not care if Fernando beats Toyota with a Porsche. Porsche is not in their market and taking the marketing value of a Le Mans win out of Toyota's hand is good for Honda. Would be very interesting if they allow him to do this. And a huge lift for LM if -active- F1 drivers want to race at Le Mans.

#18 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:06

I doubt it's such a big deal with mclarens cars in the Hypercar market. Ferrari/Porsche obviously a big deal in the production Sportscar market, Honda/Toyota/Nissan a big deal too.
The P1/918/LaFerrari market would be a weird potential group of customers

Great if true if F1 drivers can start to wrangle contracts that allow them to race outside of F1 too

#19 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:09

And a huge lift for LM if -active- F1 drivers want to race at Le Mans.

Several do, but the combination of restrictive contracts and date clashes (test day and race week remember) have made it a ball-ache for anyone wanting too. The last person to dovetail was Seb Bourdais if i'm correct?

Advertisement

#20 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,440 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:29

I don't think Ron Dennis, IF Fred is moving to mclaren, is going to allow this..

#21 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:34

Several do, but the combination of restrictive contracts and date clashes (test day and race week remember) have made it a ball-ache for anyone wanting too. The last person to dovetail was Seb Bourdais if i'm correct?

Correct, in 2009 and about 2 or 3 races before STR gave him the sack.

#22 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:35

Maybe this is what Alonso wanted to get from Mattiacci too. That he allows him a Le Mans deal. Looks to me that new f1 cars do not offer enough satisfaction to drivers so they want something else too. Something with more adrenalin.

#23 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:45

If true that would be absolutely huge for Le Mans and the WEC. Sounds a tad unlikely given how anal F1 teams are with not allowing their guys to drive anything else (and even more so after Kubica's shunt), but fingers crossed it'll happen, it'd be awesome.

#24 fZero

fZero

• 117 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:56

I'd love to see Alonso partner Webber at Le Mans. Maybe a jobless Button could join too for a dream team :clap:

#25 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:02

It would be amazing to see what a top-line F1 driver in his prime could do in a competitive car in another series. I doubt this Alonso story will come to fruition, but I'd love to see it!

#26 Montie

Montie

• 1,833 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:13

As a McLaren fan I would rather see him focused on the McLaren deal (if signed) instead of flirting with Porsche on the side. McLaren and Honda should as well.

#27 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,954 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:27

Is there an F1 race on that weekend?

Jp

#28 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:32

Jp

They changed the WEC calendar a few years ago so Le Mans wouldn't clash with F1 any more

#29 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,823 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:33

Jp

No, it's 13/14 June - the weekend between the Canadian GP and the Austrian GP

#30 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:36

Amazingly not. LM falls on the off weekend between the Canadian GP and the Austrian GP next year (June 13-15th). Same is true for the Spa WEC race. It is on May 2nd which is between the Chinese and Spanish GPs. This would be really cool if true...

#31 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:37

In corporate world, things aren't usually as simple as "Porsche is a competitor, therefore it won't happen".  A current F1 driver (and Alonso, nonetheless) racing at Lemans means lots of publicity. They could consider that is a win-win situation for Porsche-Macca-Alo.

#32 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,231 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:38

Nope, nor is there an F1 race on the Spa WEC weekend, nor the Le Mans testday weekend, either. Quite feasible to get up to speed with Spa plus the test day prior to Le Mans. Maybe he and Button could team up in F1 plus Spa and Le Mans WEC. Probably not though, let's be serious.

#33 DeVol

DeVol

• 1,098 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:41

James Allen just tweeted that Porsche will now be running a third WEC car for 2015 Le Mans.......

Edited by DeVol, 25 November 2014 - 11:41.

#34 FlitchPower

FlitchPower

• 80 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:42

Not buying it for A second Dennis would allow a McLaren driver to race for Porsche and a different set of sponsors. If Alonso does Le Mans IMO it will mean Ferrari have Raikkonened him so he won't be doing F1

#35 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:45

In corporate world, things aren't usually as simple as "Porsche is a competitor, therefore it won't happen".  A current F1 driver (and Alonso, nonetheless) racing at Lemans means lots of publicity. They could consider that is a win-win situation for Porsche-Macca-Alo.

It's a win-win situation for Alonso and Porsche but not for McLaren. 

McLaren gain nothing out of it, there's no publicity for them besides one of their driving for another rival. Racing itself is a publicity and marketing tool, I'm sure Porsche would be keen to enhance this view with a victory next year in regards to the 918 road car and the Le Mans car. What can McLaren correspond to besides it's F1 division? 

Something isn't right here imo. 

#36 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:10

This would be amazing if it happens, if true I just wonder how Alonso was able to pull it off.

#37 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:17

It's quite possible McLaren will gain a significant discount on Alonso's salary, or a longer term than he was willing to commit to.

#38 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,143 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:20

Can't see that happening. Too much of a sponsorship nightmare. And too much of a risk. 

#39 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 3,628 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:23

Part of me would love to see it happen but I can't help but think Ron's going a bit soft if he were to agree to this. If it's true I admire Fernando for trying it and if he were to pull it off that would be even more impressive.

It's a little bit cheeky to say the least and although I rate Alonso still as one of the best in F1 he's not getting any younger along with Button. Another part of me wants Ron to say stick it up your backside Fred and give Jenson another year that he has more than earned, not only this season but since he signed for the team.

Advertisement

#40 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:28

Maybe McLaren will just insist he wears a race suit with all their sponsors over it.

Something like this:

Auto_Racing_Suit_Racing_Apparel_Racewear

#41 Absulute

Absulute

• 1,049 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:30

Ouch

#42 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:38

Can't see that happening. Too much of a sponsorship nightmare. And too much of a risk. 

Not to mention a conflict of interest that Ron Dennis would never allow. Hell he doesn't even let his drivers keep original trophies. 

#43 paipa

paipa

• 936 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:41

I think this sponsor armageddon thing is blown out of proportion. So what if Alonso is seen next to a... who are Porsche's sponsors anyway? ... a "DMG Mori" banner, what the hell is that, a machine tool manufacturing company? Shock, horror! And so what if he puts his ass in a Porsche for one day of the year, how will exactly McLaren or Honda stocks crash and burn because of that?

#44 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:47

Maybe McLaren will just insist he wears a race suit with all their sponsors over it.

Something like this:

Auto_Racing_Suit_Racing_Apparel_Racewear

Its the most likely option Alonsa  has the ace card, well that's if they want him he may be bulling them in to its my way or the highway  

#45 Sash1

Sash1

• 1,291 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:51

Maybe it went the other way round. He knew he was out at Ferrari, he knew he could get them to pay the millions to buy him out. So he accepted a possible sabattical and signed a LM24h contract with Porsche just to be sure to have some fun next year. So McLaren/Honda come with their new offer after rejecting several of them and he says: "BTW, I already have a contract for LM24 with Porsche, so first contract until 10 june and the 2nd contract from 15 june please. Or just make one contract and allow me to race there. Hear from you after Abu Dabhi ok?"

#46 FlitchPower

FlitchPower

• 80 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:58

Maybe it went the other way round. He knew he was out at Ferrari, he knew he could get them to pay the millions to buy him out. So he accepted a possible sabattical and signed a LM24h contract with Porsche just to be sure to have some fun next year. So McLaren/Honda come with their new offer after rejecting several of them and he says: "BTW, I already have a contract for LM24 with Porsche, so first contract until 10 june and the 2nd contract from 15 june please. Or just make one contract and allow me to race there. Hear from you after Abu Dabhi ok?"

So Ferrari are paying him severance but allowing him to race for McLaren no gardening leave, meanwhile McLaren are also allowing him to to do what he wants.

Hope whenever Alonso retires from Motor racing he just becomes UN secretary. Wars and hunger in the world would be a thing of the past with that level of negotiation prowess

#47 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:59

I hope this happens, but I doubt it. It would be great if we can get back to the days of F1 drivers trying their hands at different disciplines on weekends off, like I've said before.

Reminds me as well, how Ricciardo talked about doing the Macau GP next year. Team bosses, please let these guys go racing! :D

#48 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 13:52

They changed the WEC calendar a few years ago so Le Mans wouldn't clash with F1 any more

Though there's a fair amount of Le Mans testing if you're in a full factory car. So even if the logistics can be made to line-up, you'd still have a very very busy driver and at some point McLaren, Porsche, or Alonso will start to think about priorities.

#49 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 14:06

Whaow. That would be great.

#50 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,143 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 14:20

I think this sponsor armageddon thing is blown out of proportion. So what if Alonso is seen next to a... who are Porsche's sponsors anyway? ... a "DMG Mori" banner, what the hell is that, a machine tool manufacturing company? Shock, horror! And so what if he puts his ass in a Porsche for one day of the year, how will exactly McLaren or Honda stocks crash and burn because of that?

Trust me, its almost unworkable. The first clash is at Manufacturer level, Porsche are a competitor of McLaren. There are therefore brand value issues at stake in terms of the fact that Alonso is recognised as a top contemporary F1 driver driving for McLaren, in F1, not for Porsche, not in F1. There will then be the sponsor issues, where contracts will demand a level of exclusivity rights usage to feature drivers, those necessarily binding commitments cost the earth and why do they, because a far greater level of equity can be built into a brand if it is exclusively recognised and endorsed by a global star. If these sponsors are in competing markets, that problem tenfolds - but it is a huge problem nonetheless. 

Aside from this F1 teams are notoriously paranoid about the health, safety and focus of their expensive drivers. Alonso will not be able to jump into a Le Mans car the day before and stick it on pole, he will have to learn and test, which takes time away from his McLaren duties. He will also have to train differently. And he will almost certainly not be fully recovered in time for the Austrian GP.

Stranger things have happened, but the logic says this is utter codswallop. If we were talking about a run up Goodwood Hill or something I could buy it but Le Mans is a massive commitment. McLaren won't be signing the top driver in F1 on a job share-agreement, no way.