- - - - -

2014 Season Reflections

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AlexFone

AlexFone

• 120 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 17:33

Going into the 2014 season no one really knew what we were in store for, new rules and a new engine formula, rumors of the Mercedes engine being a class apart. 

What we were served up with was an enthralling battle for the Formula 1 crown and I for one take my hat off to the Mercedes team for allowing it's drivers to fight it out. Yes this is a dangerous game but in years gone by when there has been a dominant car most teams have favored one driver over the other. This philosophy does come with plenty of risks and the potential for embarrassment  e.g, Spa but I felt the team dealt with it very well and put both drivers in their place when it was needed.

Mercedes produced a marvel of a car in every sense of the word, the W05 was a monster. We only really saw what it could really do in race trim in Bahrain and in Singapore where Lewis had to get the hammer down so to speak due to the Safety Car but by god it was a joy to watch him ringing the neck out of it.

The W05 has broken all records and will go down as a legend of a machine. 

Which brings me onto Lewis, I as Brit will admit that I have never taken to Lewis when he burst onto the scene back in 2007. I admired his talent but I thought he was whining little brat, I only started to warm to him back in 2012, I think he started to only grow up then but this year really has been the making of him. During the course of the season he has had so many knock downs which were not his fault yet he came back from each one by letting his racing do the talking, the Lewis of old would have self destructed and the title would have been won by Rosberg many races ago. A lot of people thought that Lewis would be the quickest driver over one lap but Nico would destroy him in the races, ironically it worked out the other way. Lewis has really shown some steely determination to get through the obstacles thrown his way but the turning point for me was Spa, Lewis really could of self destructed and completely lost his mind, Lewis took a step back and turned up the wick on Nico, he took himself to another level and as we all know reeled of five wins on the bounce. In those five wins he really showed his class, he was behind Nico in three of those races; Monza he pressured Nico into a mistake, in Suzuka in the rain he performed an audacious overtake on the outside of turn 1, at COTA he took half a chance and got it spot on. Nico has been a worthy adversary all season for Lewis but he came up a short but credit to the guy he kept Lewis honest all year and no doubt will come back stronger in 2015. It took a big man to a. carry on in the race to the end and b. congratulate Lewis at the end of the race. 

There has been so much that has happened over the year and not enough time, but Daniel Ricciardo has had a stellar season where he has disposed of a 4 time WDC with ease and a smile on his face. Daniel has made some great overtaking moves, the one on Vettel at Monza was the move of the season. Daniel really is a breath of fresh air for F1 and the way he conducts himself with the media and fans is a great example for youngsters hoping to make it to F1. F1 needs personalities.

Disappointment of the season for me has to be the way Jenson Button has been treated by Mclaren. Jenson is a gentleman and a great ambassador for Formula 1, I really hope he keeps his drive for 2015. I really don't think he could have done more to prove himself, yes he did have blip during the course of the season but Mclaren did change his engineering team. JB still has more to give. 

The 2014 season has been for me the year that Lewis Hamilton became a man, he has finally fulfilled his undoubted potential and is the deserved 2014 Formula 1 World Champion. Well done Lewis. Really well done.

My ending thoughts are for Jules and I keep praying that he makes a full recovery from what can only be described as a freak accident. Forza Jules.