Photo

Ferrari buildings demolished

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,303 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 19:04

A bit of pre-nostalgia for you to chat about, maybe.

It's not only personnel that are going through changes at Ferrari F1. The F1 buildings that have been used for the last umpteen years are soon to be demolished & the F1 team is being brought together under one roof in an impressive, (but not in a McLarenesque way) new, red glass clad building.

So much history has been played out in those buildings. I don't know how much of it can be public knowledge, as books written about Ferrari naturally tend to be about races & people.

I suppose only a certain amount can be found out from books/google etc. but surely many TNFers would enjoy reading any facts & anecdotes anybody can give us?

Any contributions welcome.

Ciao!

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 19:47

Which buildings?  Not those where Enzo's office is still preserved, surely?  When I passed through Maranello a few years ago, there seemed to be a huge red building for the F1 team already, right next to the test track.  Of course, with Ferrari, anything is possible.  :well:

#3 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,303 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:32

Yes, the buildings adjacent to the test track are at present for the race team & indeed have many red painted features.  I believe Enzo worked from the building situated inside the track, which is still used.

The new building, which is completely red, is on the same site & very close to the old buildings & the Cavallino resaurant. The famous main gate as seen in so many photos, is right across the main road & is not affected, I believe.

#4 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 16:49

I have never been a Ferrari fan - quite the opposite in fact (Porsche for ever!!!) but I was impressed to find that Ferrari basically own Maranello, lock, stock and barrel (of grappa). The whole town is about Ferrari, although there are too many prats posing around in Ferrari garb.  There were even genuine Ferrari workers in red overalls moving stuff down the street - making the prats look even more like poseurs!

Anyway, as long as they leave the real historic bits intact, they can build as many new factories as they like.

#5 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,303 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:25

Yes indeed, the town is populated by 'official' merchandise shops. The prices are extortionate - well it's understandable - they do have to bring everything in from China.

There are several hi-viz 'garages' where you can hire a Ferrari for 100 euros for 20 mins (no doubt leaving your passport/house deeds/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend as collateral.) & the official museum, which attracts a worldwide clientele. All with red uniformed workers buzzing around.

There is even a Ferrari themed hotel nearby. Oh, and don't forget to buy your bottle of Gilles Villeneuve anniversary wine while you're there!

It's a world wide brand now. No doubt Manchester United could learn something from it...

#6 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 17:31

I enjoyed my brief visit to Maranello a few years ago....private tour of Classiche, lunch at Cavallino, dinner at Montana, an afternoon in the museum. 

Given the attitude of current FIAT management toward Ferrari it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the historic buildings were demolished in the name of "progress."  Sweater (or Jumper) Boy is a fan of efficiency, not history.

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 28 November 2014 - 02:29.